Smite Preview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Smite Preview

What if you played DOTA from a third-person camera?

Read Full Article

It looks promising, that is if they are allowed to make it because it's SO offensive to religious figures.

dragongit:
It looks promising, that is if they are allowed to make it because it's SO offensive to religious figures.

I can tell you, the Hindu's bitching about Kali hasnt kept her out of the game, despite her being utterly broken last time i checked.

I've been playing this for about 2 weeks now and it's been pretty fun but could use a lot of balancing. Fun fact: I work across the street from the devs who made this.

Fappy:
I've been playing this for about 2 weeks now and it's been pretty fun but could use a lot of balancing. Fun fact: I work across the street from the devs who made this.

You'll want to be standing as far away as possible when Shiva strikes them down.

So I can finally scream 'IM A GOD OF HELL FIRE!!!' and be taken seriously?

Okay I just... Anubis is not 'the god of the dead' he is the JUDGE of the dead. He decided which afterlife they got. Osiris is the actual god of the dead in the sense that he hangs around them all day.

Anyway, this game looks fun. Is it just PC? It looks like the sort of game I'd have more fun playing with my friends rather than PuGs. My friends are more console-oriented.

It certainly looks interesting. I'll keep an eye on it. In the meantime, off to my top down MOBAs.

gigastar:

dragongit:

I can tell you, the Hindu's bitching about Kali hasnt kept her out of the game, despite her being utterly broken last time i checked.

broken as in not working or broken as in horribly overpowered?

Looks nice, I'm sure plays fine too... but I am sooooo deep in Tribes:Ascend to actually wanting to give ANY OTHER GAMES A TRY... sorry... Same company BTW..

Lunar Templar:

gigastar:

dragongit:

Horribly overpowered, her ultimate skill starts up very quickly and basically turns her into a walking blender for about 8 seconds. If she manages to stay in melee range of any player thats not a tank class then that player is effectively dead, ways to escape being few and character specific.

It held my attention for a couple games but I doubt I'll be going back to it anytime soon, balance has already been mentioned but my largest issue with it is it just isn't as engaging as I thought it would be.

Maybe it's because I'm not Hi-Rez's biggest fan, I don't even like tribes ascend (i'll probably get some flak for that one) and despite the characters being interesting there just aren't enough of them, which also drastically increases the time it takes to unlock a single character.

gigastar:

Lunar Templar:

gigastar:

Horribly overpowered, her ultimate skill starts up very quickly and basically turns her into a walking blender for about 8 seconds. If she manages to stay in melee range of any player thats not a tank class then that player is effectively dead, ways to escape being few and character specific.

ah, how is she other then broken though? i might want to main her if i get that game just to piss off the hindus :p

Game is definitely good, I enjoy it. I could never get into LoL or other DOTA games because I can't stand strategy/isometric style games on a competitive level. That and I suck at them. This game I find myself doing much better in because i'm relying on my own movements and reflexes as opposed to rapidly clicking everywhere.

There are certainly some problems right now. Some of the balancing is wacked out and some mechanics are difficult to get used to. For Example: Zues. He's a mage character that hits like a truck, granted that you can successfully stack 3 charges on your target. Detonate spell does fuck all if you have 1 or no charges on a target. Meaning you have to rely on your standard lightning bolt, or chain lightning. All of which feel like they have too long a cooldown, considering his damage is entirely reliant on stacking charges. Though when he works, boy does he work.

gigastar:

I was about to mention Kali actually. Every time I go up against her, no matter what, I get stomped. It feels like her damage output is FAAAR to high. If anything, the Hindus should be happy that their god is incredibly OP :P.

Edit: I don't think I'd care about Kali's damage output so much if it didn't seem like she moved faster than everyone else.

Lunar Templar:

gigastar:

Lunar Templar:

ah, how is she other then broken though? i might want to main her if i get that game just to piss off the hindus :p

Well she is an assassin class character, meaning she is supposed to go into the forests off the main paths to sneak behind enemy lines and stab those squishy mages in the back, preferably with that utterly broken ultimate.

It bears mentioning, because of the third person view you cannot see someone sneaking up on you.

Other than that i think she was one of the fastest characters in the game without speed buffs and she has a absurdly high damage output, that being one of the things that makes her broken.

Keep in mind though, she is more than due for a nerf if Hi Rez ever get around to it.

ace_of_something:
Okay I just... Anubis is not 'the god of the dead' he is the JUDGE of the dead. He decided which afterlife they got. Osiris is the actual god of the dead in the sense that he hangs around them all day.

Anyway, this game looks fun. Is it just PC? It looks like the sort of game I'd have more fun playing with my friends rather than PuGs. My friends are more console-oriented.

Anubis is actually the Gatekeeper of the Underworld. Maat is the actual Goddess of Justice and Judgement. Your soul is weighed against her feather; if its light you get to hang with Osiris, if its heavier you get annihilated.

walrusaurus:

ace_of_something:

Anubis is actually the Gatekeeper of the Underworld. Maat is the actual Goddess of Justice and Judgement. Your soul is weighed against her feather; if its light you get to hang with Osiris, if its heavier you get annihilated.

Either way! Still not right.

ace_of_something:

walrusaurus:

ace_of_something:

fair enough. ;)

I'm sure the final product will be rife with inaccuracies that will bug me to no end lol

walrusaurus:

ace_of_something:

walrusaurus:

fair enough. ;)

I'm sure the final product will be rife with inaccuracies that will bug me to no end lol

One of my oldest friends is a theology/ancient history professor. I'll have to show her this and listen to her rattle on with what's wrong.

Visual design looks boring and shitty. I'd make a cheeky comment about divine retribution resulting in a poor final product or something, but I don't think that it looks so spectacularly bad as to justify it. It's just a run-of-the-mill ugly game with bad animations.

It appears to need alot of work, but if it truly does have a higher emphasis on player skill then your average Dota game then colour me interested, I'll give it a go on release when they fix up a number of glaring issues such as animation.

Al

It offends my spirituality, so I won't be picking it up. But it looks alright.

gigastar:

Lunar Templar:

gigastar:

Well she is an assassin class character, meaning she is supposed to go into the forests off the main paths to sneak behind enemy lines and stab those squishy mages in the back, preferably with that utterly broken ultimate.

It bears mentioning, because of the third person view you cannot see someone sneaking up on you.

Other than that i think she was one of the fastest characters in the game without speed buffs and she has a absurdly high damage output, that being one of the things that makes her broken.

Keep in mind though, she is more than due for a nerf if Hi Rez ever get around to it.

i have been playing Smite for about a month and i think she doesn't really need a nerf because she is squishy as hell. she pretty much gets insta killed by mages, the tanks can also kick her ass if they aren't stupid, and so can the other assassins but that's only if they see her coming and she isn't played right.
i think the game is pretty well balanced and it comes down to the skill of the individual player.
seriously it's a great game

ace_of_something:

walrusaurus:

ace_of_something:

fair enough. ;)

One of my oldest friends is a theology/ancient history professor. I'll have to show her this and listen to her rattle on with what's wrong.

so many things, but it's fine because the game is really fun

gigastar:

Lunar Templar:

gigastar:

but she is an assassin, she is fast and has high damage output but she is squishy as hell, so as long as you see her coming you can kick her ass

ace_of_something:

it's on PC, i don't think it will work on consoles.

You know that this genre has it's name? It's colled MOBA games...

EgonCom:
You know that this genre has it's name? It's colled MOBA games...

If only it was that straight forward. MOBA isn't recognized everywhere since it was a name put forward primarily by Riot Games, I guess in an attempt to start to distance League of Legends from DOTA. Action RTS is another commonly used title, further complicating the mix.

Granted referring to them as DOTA games is a little inherently odd, we don't say for instance Call of Duty is a Wolfenstein or Doom game.

I have been keeping an eye on this for a while now. Definitely going to try it out once the game gets released.

I've never played any games like DOTA or League of Legends but I have to admit, this looks pretty fun.

I'm pretty done with DotA-style games, so this isn't that big of a draw for me, but this video is notable for finally helping me figure out what I thought was off with this game: It's ugly as hell! (no pun intended?)

I mean, you can only do so much with character models when you spend most of your time looking at them from behind (I think GoW solved this problem by putting the camera a lot closer, but I'm not sure), but there's really no excuse for these backgrounds. DotA had to work with WarCraft III's graphic engine, and LoL kept roughly the same aesthetic, but this is a game about the freaking gods! Even Christianity manages to work some colour into its imagery, and it only has one deity. You'd think a setting as fantastical as this one would manage to be set somewhere halfway interesting, instead of this boring, browny-green temple thing that they have going right now.

The big difference between Smite and other DOTA games is the greater emphasis on player skill.

This is completely untrue. Abilities in HoN, DOTA and even LoL are much harder to land properly than in Smite. The 3 behemoths of the DOTA genre are more skill based in every way you can think of, especially in terms of how easy it is to execute an attack or ability properly. In Smite, theres no high ground to take into consideration, next to no stuns, etc.

It's still a lot of fun, but to call it more skill based than pretty much any other DOTA game is a sure way to get laughed out of the house.

As for my personal thoughts on Smite, I like it. It's casual as fuck, and that's why it's good. Rounds are short, abilities are straight forward, items are next to irrelevant since they have no active abilities attached to them. Also, replacing the "ancient" with an actual boss battle is a great idea, it doesn't add much depth but it makes winning a round that bit more satisfying. On top of that you have the V system from Tribes, which is an absolute God send, and something I've sorely missed in every single DOTA game I've played - till now.

On the other hand the graphics absolutely terrible in places, the overall style of the game doesn't really meld, and it's a bit too simple at times. It's no DOTA 2, and that's fine, because it doesn't want to be. I'll enjoy it from time to time, but I can't see it becoming my go-to DOTA.

Fappy:

They're in Atlanta, right? I remember seeing some Global agenda swag at a Robotics competition down there, buttons and such.
OT: I'm not interested, the third person with similar mechanics makes it seem odd. I shall wait for my verdict!

Fappy:

Have you signed in for the chance to playtest at their studio? you can if you live that close.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here