Unskippable: Death by Degrees

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Death by Degrees

The female Tekken characters just can't catch a break with their costumes.

Watch Video

"Death by Degrees" that must be similar to being only "mostly dead."

Death by Degrees was doing x-ray fatalities before it was cool

I was expecting a Kevin Bacon joke in there somewhere.

No, I think I understand the title. At the end of the game, the main character will be killed by a large amount of University Degrees being dropped on her. Death by Degrees.

The controls for this game were extremly dumb

was that steve jay blum and crispin freeman?

Nina Williams is still sexy

Good thing that last scene was in no way gratuitous, or I might have felt guilty watching it over.

So... What the fuck was all that about? There was the Bermuda Triangle plane, the scene that looked like it should be out of Resident Evil or Jurassic Park, the extremely one-sided cage match, the Splinter Cell wantabees, and a swimming pool. All we've established is that the only place all of this would make sense in is the Tekken universe.

The Caribbean's Butthole? Now THERE'S a band name.

But no, it's NOT a Butthole Surfers cover band...
they only had ONE song that could be played on the radio,
and that's been going on for about 15 years.

I saw the Unskippable picture for today on the top and though: "Hm, that looks like Nina from Tekken, can't say I've heard of the game"

So a spin-off game then from Tekken, didn't know that. And yes Paul, last scene was definitely important for the plot to move on.

Side note: "I'm Irish, you know how hard it is to get a tan." Is that a thing, or just a joke flying past me there?

Okay, no really, what just happened in that cut-scene? I don't even... that made less sense than those JRPG openers.

Death by degrees? I guess that's better than a video of death by a thousand cuts.

So, uh... What is this game? A Fighting game? A brawler? Stealth action?
And what is it about? What's up with the Bermuda Triangle? Is it 1945 or the present?

I'm confuzzled.

therandombear:
I saw the Unskippable picture for today on the top and though: "Hm, that looks like Nina from Tekken, can't say I've heard of the game"

So a spin-off game then from Tekken, didn't know that. And yes Paul, last scene was definitely important for the plot to move on.

Side note: "I'm Irish, you know how hard it is to get a tan." Is that a thing, or just a joke flying past me there?

Irish-folk have a tendency to have light skin, and thus burn more readily than tan. Not all of them mind you, but a lot of them apparently. I'm of Irish/Scottish descent and I don't tan very well unless I spend a month getting sunburns before I finally tan up.

I feel like this was more of a "best of a bad situation" video. You guys seemed pretty funny with the material, but the video wasn't much to work with.

Also, when I hear "sweeper," I think "SWEEP THE LEGS!"

amaranth_dru:

therandombear:

Irish-folk have a tendency to have light skin, and thus burn more readily than tan. Not all of them mind you, but a lot of them apparently. I'm of Irish/Scottish descent and I don't tan very well unless I spend a month getting sunburns before I finally tan up.

Aha..I always heard: "Red hair no tan" etc. Cause I have red hair, and I always get burned, never tanned.

First thought during the pool scene: "And now we've apparently been teleported into Dead Or Alive."

Graham_LRR:
Death by Degrees

The female Tekken characters just can't catch a break with their costumes.

Watch Video

Another great video, guys! I totally lost it at the X-ray cage match bit, and how Nina in her bikini is not gratuitous at all. There has to be an important reason for that. On a related note, is Nina's outfit in her cage match about average by NAMCO fighter standards, or more restrained and practical?

Where do you find these games? I kept saying to myself "this looks so stupid, why would anyone ever play this?"

Whoops, we killed the wrong guy. Sorry, everybody!

Guys, you broke the most important rule of Riffing: You always let Steve Blum talk, and then you riff.

Blablahb:
Death by degrees? I guess that's better than a video of death by a thousand cuts.

You an me both buddy...

MatParker116:

No kidding! We tried to play a little bit after we recorded and it was ridiculous.

Boy you can really tell how Nina is such an engaging and nuanced character. The way she breaks the laws of physics and is just going through the motions of normal activities like sunbathing and swimming to hide the fact that she's an emotionally dead psychopath.

Graham_LRR:

MatParker116:

No kidding! We tried to play a little bit after we recorded and it was ridiculous.

Playing this game is madness.
I needed a mental Post-It to remind myself of the seriously retarded control scheme.
Gawd, fell so hard for the cheesecake back then....

Behold the madness:
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=45184&tab=controls

Dafuqaduck did I just watch? So we have a martial artist cagefight-murdering in international waters on a cruiseship with no discernable connection to the secret-agent bermuda-triangle mutant camera conspiracy malarky, genre soup anyone?

Ah, so it's an adventure game set in the Bermuda Triangle. No wait. Ah, it's a UFC type fighting game. Nope. Oh I see now, it's a Stealthy Splinter Cell type affair. Not that either. Huh. Oh right, it's basically Dead or Alive. Or is it?

Nice, Steve Blum.

I am not Irish but still of Celtic ancestry (Briton to be exact) and agree it take an eternity to tan, since I cannot tan at all, for me it is pale, red or burned. =p

I don't actually have red hair, but I does have the gene for still got some facial freckle and a section of my beard is indeed red haired.

Graphically speaking... that looked REALLY good for a ps2 game.

Is that Dave Hayter. . . .?
The narrator in the beginning, I mean. Sounds like Solid Snake to me, anyway.

Out of all the Tekken characters they could have chosen, they went for Nina? Who wouldn't want to play a game as Yoshimitsu or Roger? Yoshimitsu would totally look better in that bikini!

Hey, I didn't know Scott Mitchell was at the bottom of the ocean.

commasplice:

Steve Blum. He does lots and lots of voices for games, animes and cartoons.

WouldYouKindly:
Hey, I didn't know Scott Mitchell was at the bottom of the ocean.

commasplice:

Steve Blum. He does lots and lots of voices for games, animes and cartoons.

Ah, thanks! That explains why he sounded so familiar. Gotta respect a man who's voiced Wolverine, Roger Smith and Spike Spiegel.

Quality of Unskippable was in downhill for a long time, but this PS2 month really has been a pleasure. Please continue your good work.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here