Darksiders II Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Darksiders II Review

Death's got a lot of work to do.

Read Full Article

Never got around to playing the first one, as I felt that Okami scratched that particular itch. This looks really good, though, and I think I'll pick it up. Do you miss out on a lot by playing the second game without having played the first?

Hmmm. I can live with those flaws. I will make up my own mind when I get my hands on it.

Was that Cthulu at the very end of the video?

Anyways, this game looks like a Legacy of Kane type game, and since I always enjoyed those I'll be looking into this one. I prefer my Death more Grim Reaper style with the whole black cloak and such, but you can't argue with playing as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

:3 Can't wait to see the game staring Famine..."I'M IN UR FEELDZ, KILLIN' UR CROPZ!"

I can live with 4/5 but I'm saving myself for Dishonored.

StreetBushido:
Never got around to playing the first one, as I felt that Okami scratched that particular itch. This looks really good, though, and I think I'll pick it up. Do you miss out on a lot by playing the second game without having played the first?

Nope. The underlying motivation of your character is in direct response to the events of the first game, but for the most part you won't feel confused or that you're missing out. At the very least, a quick story summary read-through on Wikipedia or the like should get you up to speed if you never plan on going through the first on your own.

Looking forward to this.

I enjoyed the original, but felt that its mechanics weren't quite refined enough.

DS2 looks to have fixed those, and the tie-in story looks great. Will be interesting to see how Death influenced War's story.

Looks a lot like Prince of Persia, Sands of Time. I like this.

Just picked this up. Can't wait to give it a go.

StreetBushido:

Probably nothing you wouldn't figure out, though the original is a)inexpensive and b)pretty fun. Might as well pick up the first and grab this after it has had some time to go on Steam sale etc.

Glad to hear the positive review. Must...learn...SAS...first...

I'm still conflicted.

I want THQ to succeed and I enjoy platforming games, but on the other hand the cartoony-angsty World of Warcraft aesthetic really kills it for me.

Speaking as someone who likes this genre (Prince of Persia Sands of Time is one of my all-time favs), I could not stand more than 15min of Darksiders 1 and this looks like just more of the same.

Mindless LMB-mashing with the story going from absurd to childish and even hilarious (when it's trying to be serious).

Even worse, not everything was collectable from the get-go so if you have OCD, this is going to be a real nightmare.

If the first was like Oot... Is ds2, Majora's Mask?

Comming soon, Darksiders 3: Twilight Princess.

i loved darksiders and wanted to finally finish it (i never did because i sometimes have the attenti OMG LOOK A BUTTERFLY) but than my PC died and after fixing it i will have to skip either this, dishonored or borderlands 2. and i really wanted to get all those games on launch since i want all the developers to succeed.

Mike Kayatta:
Darksiders II Review

Death's got a lot of work to do.

Read Full Article

Platform(s): PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U

You're missing a platform on that list.

I would be playing mine right now if I didn't miss the UPS delivery that was supposed to drop off my PC collectors edition >.>

This is what I get for being nice and going into work on my day off.

My expectations for this are fairly high. The first one was a great mix of Legend of Zelda quest/dungeon puzzles and God of War (HAHA!) stylized combat. I expect no less from this one.

I also hope this game does well for THQ. Not all their games are great, but they're one of the few major publishers who seem to have a higher than average attention to detail. Their games tend to be well made and ported properly. Aside from the Saints Row games, which I haven't actually played but I hear about how bad SR2 was for PC, I haven't had a single problem with a THQ PC game.

Been playing it since this morning. I kept putting off going to the gym until "I just finish this last dungeon" which cost me an hour before leaving. After getting back and showering I start playing again and after some time just happen to alt tab and realize "GOD DAMN ITS THREE HOURS LATER!". So needless to say I see me getting my monies worth out of it which wouldn't be too hard considering I paid $40 at Green Man Gaming last night for it.

misterprickly:
If the first was like Oot... Is ds2, Majora's Mask?

Comming soon, Darksiders 3: Twilight Princess.

So far I haven't seen as much of the Zelda influence as the first one had, this is closer to a mix of diablo, Legacy of Kain and a smidge of Zelda thrown in. Then again I'm not that far into it yet. I got it for the pc and its awesome.

I would have bought into this series if Death looked more like, say, Grim:

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Billy---Mandy-cartoon-network-647535_400_533.jpg

Honestly, I liked the first game a lot, even if it was the wonky PC version, I still liked it for what it was and even bested some of it's "inspirations" in a few areas. This game looks like it has even more well made "inspirations".

I'll may get this game whenever it drops it's price and it's discounted even more in a Steam sale.

Darksiders II looks awesome I always wanted to play Darksiders 1 because it had liam o'brien voicing war and I'm a fan of liam o'brien voice acting skills.

Looks like a solid sequel to what was a great game. I enjoyed Darksiders and it looks like Darksiders II has a better of idea as to what kind of game it is.

Sometimes it is interesting when a game series can skirt the issue of innovation by placing several tried and true game mechanics all into the same game. Sure it's nothing we haven't seen before, but putting it all together in the same game is still pretty impressive.

My only regret with this game is not having the time I really want with it. My playing will be sparse and spread out. But the hour or so I played of it, it's really fantastic. My other regret is also that I took the liberty of purchasing this and Sleeping Dogs, which is equally awesome for all different reasons. Man, I think all the games I'm really looking forward to this year come out this month. ARGH! FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!

Good review. Decent review, great clear review actually. Basically because there isn't a lot of fuss made about those little flaws that are there, while the big game websites like IGN make a big deal out of it!

RJ 17:

Anyways, this game looks like a Legacy of Kane type game, and since I always enjoyed those I'll be looking into this one. I prefer my Death more Grim Reaper style with the whole black cloak and such, but you can't argue with playing as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

:3 Can't wait to see the game staring Famine..."I'M IN UR FEELDZ, KILLIN' UR CROPZ!"

I'm sorry to burst your bubble. But Famine isn't in the Darksiders version of the Four Horsemen.

Famine and Conquest (also know as Pestilence in some versions) are replaced with two different Horsemen. Fury and Strife.

Have yet to receive my copy from thq store still v.v

Joriss:
Good review. Decent review, great clear review actually.

This might be my favorite review comment of all time. :D

Absolutionis:
I'm still conflicted.

I want THQ to succeed and I enjoy platforming games, but on the other hand the cartoony-angsty World of Warcraft aesthetic really kills it for me.

That would be Joe Mad`s fault. This guy can draw but i`m no real fan of his style either. At least i can asure you that it`s all more detailed in DS & DS2 compared to WOW. After a while with the first i didn`t recognize it anymore, that could`ve been just me (never played WOW) but whatever, give it a try, it`s to much fun to let it slip because of the art direction.

As for DS2 this game will have to wait, my budget is way to limited atm.

FrostyChick:

RJ 17:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble. But Famine isn't in the Darksiders version of the Four Horsemen.

Famine and Conquest (also know as Pestilence in some versions) are replaced with two different Horsemen. Fury and Strife.

No bubble to be burst, it was a joke...hence the faux humorous quote I tacked onto the end.

Absolutionis:
I'm still conflicted.

I dont see it, and i even played wow, what do you mean?

OT: Looks awesome and the review was well done and straight to the point(s), i think ill pick it up right away, the first one was pretty good!

Good review!

'Dark Zelda of War' is out, and you should all play the first game first. Small camera fighting and frame rate issues aside, this is the best game to play now-a-days. It's beautiful and has great voice actors, follow that up with an intricate plot with rememberable characters, and you have the 360 zelda god of war game, part II. They learned from a lot of their mistakes so far.

I've only played 4 hours 21 minutes, in that time I have learned about this game, it has a lot of potential. You have to fight the camera a bit, and a lot of walls should be climbable, but aren't, yet this game was/is well worth my money.

Better, than any Zelda I've played, so far. Probably due to the art direction and combat mechanics as a whole. This game has way more +'s than -'s.

Is it just me or does that maneuvering around walls animations looks like it was copy pasted from assassins creed and Prince of Persia. Not the same mechanics but the exact same animation.

Scorpid:
Is it just me or does that maneuvering around walls animations looks like it was copy pasted from assassins creed and Prince of Persia. Not the same mechanics but the exact same animation.

The wall run animation looks like a copy of the Prince of Persia (2008 Version)

The Lever and switch layout looks like God Of War

And the areas looks like a combination of booth mentioned games (especially that scene in the video of a long walkway adorned with two giant statue like in God of War 2)

Game DOES look good but it doesn't FEEL original sure you can take your unique spin on a feature from a previous game but if you copy it EXACTLY then you will have people subconsciously comparing things like 'hey, isn't that wall run look everything like the one in Prince of Persia (2008)? couldn't they give Death a wall run that is DIFFERENT, he have powers right? so why does he need to be gripping and scraping the wall like a human at the mercy of gravity??"

Beyond that if the story's good I'm set

FantomOmega:

Scorpid:

The wall run animation looks like a copy of the Prince of Persia (2008 Version)

The Lever and switch layout looks like God Of War

And the areas looks like a combination of booth mentioned games (especially that scene in the video of a long walkway adorned with two giant statue like in God of War 2)

Game DOES look good but it doesn't FEEL original sure you can take your unique spin on a feature from a previous game but if you copy it EXACTLY then you will have people subconsciously comparing things like 'hey, isn't that wall run look everything like the one in Prince of Persia (2008)? couldn't they give Death a wall run that is DIFFERENT, he have powers right? so why does he need to be gripping and scraping the wall like a human at the mercy of gravity??"

Beyond that if the story's good I'm set

Yeah I agree. Though one complaint I have if we're going to nit pick about feeling like Death... the model doesn't look like anything anyone would imagine Death incarnate to look like, except for maybe a REALLY cheesy death metal band. To me he just looks like a pro wrestler instead of 'Death'.

death looks like the biggest emo there is.
he probably cuts himself during his idle animation.

anyway i may look into it after a price drop.
the first one was okay, but not great for me.

Susan Arendt:

Joriss:
Good review. Decent review, great clear review actually.

This might be my favorite review comment of all time. :D

aah...thank

It looks like we don't need to fear the reaper this time.

I might look into it, although that said i never really played the first game so we'll see what happens.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here