GinxTV: Dead Space 3 Preview

Dead Space 3 Preview

Can Dead Space 3 stay true to the Dead Space franchise?

Watch Video

I'm incredibly cautious of the changes their making, but I'll wait till it's released before I write it off. It's nice to hear that you guys share some of the same concerns about the game though.

Looks like Gears of Lost Planet: Undead Nightmare.

There seems to be a mistake in the description:
Genre: Survival Horror

Correct genre would be Third-person shooter or Action.

TheAmokz:
There seems to be a mistake in the description:
Genre: Survival Horror

Correct genre would be Third-person shooter or Action.

The series that coined the term 'survival horror' is Resident Evil, believe it or not. So Dead Space fits the description well enough.

Why do you give free advertisement to this game ? I whould love it an action turned franchise to sell less then when it was horror . That way the idiot developers whould stop turning stealth/horror games into action just for sales .
Its simple . The best thing a gamer can do to stop these disgusting changes is to stop buying action packed buddy-buddy games .

Balkan:
Why do you give free advertisement to this game ? I whould love it an action turned franchise to sell less then when it was horror . That way the idiot developers whould stop turning stealth/horror games into action just for sales .
Its simple . The best thing a gamer can do to stop these disgusting changes is to stop buying action packed buddy-buddy games .

Oh come on. Just because you don't like certain games or genres, they should all just stop (p)reviewing those games, because that would be "free advertising"?

By that logic, anyone on this site should be able to call out the escapist for mentioning any game they don't like. I'll say it right now, The Escapist, stop giving Sony free advertisement by writing news articles about anything they do, that way they will stop making consoles and learn. See how stupid that sounds?

Contextual cover based shooting... so "you meant to run? you were too close to the wall" and "you wanted cover? you weren't close enough so now you're dancing a jig" control issues...

2:35 in that Necromorph had glowing orange bits on it. Remind you of anything? Oh yeah, didn't the Akrid in Lost Planet have glowing orange bits you shot at? Yeah... they did.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
2:35 in that Necromorph had glowing orange bits on it. Remind you of anything? Oh yeah, didn't the Akrid in Lost Planet have glowing orange bits you shot at? Yeah... they did.

As have the earlier Dead Space games, hardly anything new.

How come they show no Plasma Cutter? It's THE Dead Space weapon.
Also looks like the ammo is aplenty, apparent by the game-play at least.

Alcamonic:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

I honestly don't remember any glowing orange parts on the Necromorphs in the first game, not like that one in the trailer had anyway.

I have a feeling that the change in feel/playstyle is going to kill the mood that the game must create in order to be scary.

To quote Yahtzee "What's next? Oh, the delightful trailer for some kind of lost planet sequel. What are they calling this one? Dead Space 3?! Fuck off."

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Alcamonic:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

I honestly don't remember any glowing orange parts on the Necromorphs in the first game, not like that one in the trailer had anyway.

I distinctly remember the bosses (boss?) having them. Such as the last one. Or those big tentacles coming out from the holes in the walls, dragging you down the hallways.

Alcamonic:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Alcamonic:

I distinctly remember the bosses (boss?) having them. Such as the last one. Or those big tentacles coming out from the holes in the walls, dragging you down the hallways.

Well I'll soon find out, I'm installing the first one to play it again anyway.

NLS:

Balkan:

Oh come on. Just because you don't like certain games or genres, they should all just stop (p)reviewing those games, because that would be "free advertising"?

By that logic, anyone on this site should be able to call out the escapist for mentioning any game they don't like. I'll say it right now, The Escapist, stop giving Sony free advertisement by writing news articles about anything they do, that way they will stop making consoles and learn. See how stupid that sounds?

I love action , just that I hate when a game switches its core just so more people whould like it .
You know how we can stop this ? Just by not buying dead space 3 , resident evil 3 , splinter cell blacklist etc .
They will probably be ok but not as good as other action games and not as good as they whould be if they were left unchanged .
Also , not advertising EA ? That logical to me, I whouldn`t give a free ride to people who already have a shit load of undeserved cash :)

WOAH LOST PLANET 3?!? Oh, wait.....

I stand by the notion that anyone who played the other two games could see the change in gameplay coming a mile off.

The change between the first and second was more drastic than the change between the second and third. The thing that's making it rustle peoples collective jimmies is the coop and the change of scenery as far as I can see. Because other than that, looks pretty much just the same as Dead Space 2. And there aint nout wrong with that.

Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz. Not every horror/thriller style game has to be Amnesia.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
]Well I'll soon find out, I'm installing the first one to play it again anyway.

Most of the larger necromorphs have them. They really start popping up with them in the Hydroponics section of the game.

And good luck, I replayed the first one not too long ago. It was much more of a slog than I remembered it being. There's just so much backtracking. The second one was an infinitely better game in my opinion. Both narratively and mechanically.

I don't have a big issue with more actiony - I enjoyed DS1 and 2 a lot. Co-op though? If the single player version has a shitty AI controlled NPC then they've lost a sale.

In what way is the drop-in, drop-out coop "potentially clever"? A system where a second player can join in at any point, but you dont have to if you dont want to? Just like Fable 2 then. Except its not, because some of the gameplay is cut from purely single player.

Ignoring the other problems with the series, this alone is enough for me not to play it. Im getting sick of developers trying to ram multiplayer down my throat when all I want is to relax and play solo...

I lost most of my interest when I saw that shoulder roll. I like some degree of maneuverability in games, but this really just goes over-the-top.

The rest of my interest went out the window at the mention of AI/co-op. So to escape having a sub-moronic AI doing stupid crap and making things MORE difficult (because I have yet to see an AI partner that didn't) I have to find someone to play with? There's a reason I stopped playing Resident Evil 5 after ten minutes, and her name is Sheva.

The Rogue Wolf:

The rest of my interest went out the window at the mention of AI/co-op. So to escape having a sub-moronic AI doing stupid crap and making things MORE difficult (because I have yet to see an AI partner that didn't) I have to find someone to play with? There's a reason I stopped playing Resident Evil 5 after ten minutes, and her name is Sheva.

As I understand it, there is no AI stand in. If you want to play single player, then that other guy buggers off and does his own stuff within the story. He's apparently close enough that he can reappear at a moments notice - I am wondering how they plan to handle that - but otherwise I'm okay with this.

rollerfox88:
In what way is the drop-in, drop-out coop "potentially clever"?

Because unlike Fable 2, playing in co-op mode changes the plotline (a bit). And Fable 2's co-op was incredibly badly implemented - at the very least, DS3 should be giving separate cameras to separate characters... My only concern here is that the two plot threads, Co-op vs Solo, will reduce the overall campaign length. Which would be a shame. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy for a game to have a multiplayer component that I won't touch.

DVS BSTrD:
Looks like Gears of Lost Planet: Undead Nightmare.

^^^THIS^^^

I think we can blame Resident Evil 4 for this. They turned from survival/horror into an action game with horror elements, and it sold like hotcakes, so now every game needs to do the same because lighting ALWAYS strikes the exact same location every single time.

*sob*

Will it be split screen co-op or internet only. If it's the second one then they can forget about getting money off me

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Alcamonic:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Well I'll soon find out, I'm installing the first one to play it again anyway.

Alcamonic is right, I remember seeing the orange glow things in the first dead space and but still thought it was very similar to lost planet back then.

Awww the pissed all over dead space to get the kool aid drinking zombies to come out from their hiding places and play a dull shallow game.... Well played EA well played...not buying this POS.....

Kungfu_Teddybear:

I thought exactly that~

ZippyDSMlee:
Awww the pissed all over dead space to get the kool aid drinking zombies to come out from their hiding places and play a dull shallow game.... Well played EA well played...not buying this POS.....

I agree, this game's been killed now... Not that Dead Space 2 did much better. Every surprise was just waiting to happening and all you have to do was, knowingly walk in front of every vent (then run like a pussy, if you're like me).

I think I'd probably play Dead Space 3 FOR it's Co-Op, to be perfectly honest. At least then I would have enthusiasm to play the game. Come to think about it, what does 'Winter' and an open day-lit world have to do with 'Dead Space'? I mean, it usually just used to be a game where (apparently) sun light didn't exist and everyone was shit-scared of having and windows on-board, apart from at the front and back, like a very boring Lego Car.

It appears I'm the only one looking forward to this game. Other people will be getting it though, right? I want to try the co op. The only thing that really bothers me was the mention of using cover at the very end of the video. No cover please. Everything else is fine for me. I like Dead Space for its story because it's never been scary for me. There have been some tense moments and some creepy times, but never Silent Hill scary for me. Should still be fun though.

rollerfox88:
In what way is the drop-in, drop-out coop "potentially clever"?

Because unlike Fable 2, playing in co-op mode changes the plotline (a bit). And Fable 2's co-op was incredibly badly implemented - at the very least, DS3 should be giving separate cameras to separate characters... My only concern here is that the two plot threads, Co-op vs Solo, will reduce the overall campaign length. Which would be a shame. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy for a game to have a multiplayer component that I won't touch.[/quote]

I stand by my original statement - I dont think copying a coop system from a game released in 2008 and then penalising players by restricting the campaign if they dont use it is clever, even if it isnt as mechanically awful as in Fable 2.

Sniper Team 4:
-Snip-

Thank you!
Seriously, who played Dead Space for the cheap scares it had? I loved the story, atmosphere, characters and mechanics of the game. If you honestly think Dead Space is scary, you're funny.

I just hate seeing EA being associated with Visceral Games...

Why does the narrarator talk like Captain Kirk?

I would love to see Dead Space turn into a sort of horror comedy. I mean, it pretty much already is, but it seems to be unintentional. Come on, Dead Space? The name is so delightfully cheesy!

Limbs flying all over the place like they were attached with duct tape, completely ridiculous weapons (mainly the Ripper) and you named the monsters Necromorphs! Brilliant! Keep the story, its weirdness will just make everything better. Well if you stop playing it so straight.

You've got the material right here! Make it happen! :D

The real horror was the puns at the end

[iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aNUr__-VZeQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen][/iframe]

Why does he insist this is "scary"?
When that monster jumps you like they always did a million times in dead space 1&2 only this time, it's bright white instead of dark, he makes it out to be the scariest thing ever.
Also that goddamn assault rifle. I always thought dead space was about, oh I don't know, weapons that cut things because it was stated that conventional weaponry isn't really effective against necros but hey, lets throw that out of the window.
And then he comments how awesome picking up grenades with kinesis is.
Except, you know, why are there suddenly grenades in the first place?!
Grenades is not a "dead space thing" you know. Neither are fucking assault rifles, shotguns and dodge rolls.

Awful. This just looks awful.

Mjeh, I'll wait with this game until it's around the 10 price range. Loved the first game and had tons of fun with the second, but I really hate that they gave Isaac a face and a voice. Well, rather, I disapprove with the face and voice they gave him.
Tons of better games to spend my money on. October will be a busy month. >.<

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here