Escape to the Movies: ParaNorman

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

ParaNorman

MovieBob takes us into the scary mind of ParaNorman.

Watch Video

First!

...wow, so this is how it feels...

...I feel like a fucking tool...

Also Bob, you want to know the reason why Nintendo hasn't done a Garry's Mod-style level/powerup editor of any Mario engine? Because Nintendo is too Nintendo to be out-Nintendo'd/busy on the next Mario Party ∞/wondering what the fuck to make their first Zelda Wii U game when they have the best idea in years right in their fucking faces but once again, they're too Nintendo to be out-Nintendo'd.

Really, I'm still a little sore that Scott Pilgrim was overshadowed by Expendables. Yeah, you Escapists, I know that it didn't live up to standards for some of you, but at the same time you have no right to say it wasn't more inventive than Expendables. I'd rather see something more inventive sell and get a new plethora of ideas in cinema than watch the same thing sell for the same penny. But whatever.

Also, this movie. Maybe a rental. Maybe more.

emeraldrafael:
dont worry, you'rea bout to get a warning for it.

Awww, looks like someone wanted first post. U mad bro?

You'd think it was a Nintendo/Bioware collaboration!

Nice to see Hollywood is getting...

*puts on sunglasses*

...RE-animated

God the Bunny Ear Hat, I remember that thing.

Nice to see ParaNorman is a good movie too, I had my assumptions that it would be since Coraline was pretty cool.

Too bad Hand Animations like that take so long because they're such cool thing to watch, like Wallace and Gromit.

Grenge Di Origin:
First!

...wow, so this is how it feels...

...I feel like a f*cking tool...

dont worry, you'rea bout to get a warning for it.

I somehow knew bob wasnt going to review the expendables. THough I will say im a bit disappointed he didnt. Anyway I guess its nice to hear this is a good movie, or at least bob thinks so. After all the advertising and friend recommendations saying "its from the guys who did coraline so you know its gotta be good" (despite myself not really caring for coraline one way or the other other than it was just a movie to watch when bored) I though this was going to be a kid movie that relied on the, look zombie and ghosts. whch I can always just enjoy by watching the two scooby doo movies about the witch ghost and the bayou zombies with cat people.

Maybe I'll rent this when its on netflix but for now I think I'll go see Expendables 2.

Expendables 2 not shown to critics, really that shocks me. Look at me, this is my shocked face. Somehow my local critic reviewed it and gave it a D- so it has to be good.

Huh, my Sarcasm Switch was on, let me fix that...there we go. Sincerity levels rising...Sincerity at 100%.

Glad to see I was wrong about ParaNorman. I thought it was going to be a goofy, dumb kids movie with ghosts and zombies.

Sadly I feel this is going to get the Scott Pilgrims treatment due to releasing alongside Expendables 2. I was hoping you would tear that movie a new one this week but there's always next week.

Well I off to gamestop to pick up The Last Story at long last and I'll think about checking this one out if not this weekend, then in next week.

I'll tel lyou something funny Bob; they DID screen Expendables 2 to critics... makes you think does'nt it.

If you dont believe me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmnyMPxsAUc&feature=g-all-u

I'm going check it out! ;)
Sleeper hit!

I'll probably see this at some point based on bob's recommendation, but at the moment i'm more interested in Cosmopolis given that I'm quite the David Cronenberg fan

Good to hear the movie was entertaining, I know what I am seeing next week!

..oh look, Nintendo fanboy wank in the credits, surprise surprise.

And here I thought it looked kinda stupid (I guess I should've known better, Coraline was a really good movie). I might give this one a go, Thanks Bob!

Might check it out if it comes to the UK, also why would it be released at the end of Summer, wouldn't it make more sense to release a film like ParaNorman around Halloween, just saying

In the face of the 2k guy who said photorealism was required to achieve real emotional attachment or whatever.

Also, no Bob, bringing back Bunny Mario would be a baaaaaaaaaaad idea.

Tommy Toejam:
I'll tel lyou something funny Bob; they DID screen Expendables 2 to critics... makes you think does'nt it.

If you dont believe me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmnyMPxsAUc&feature=g-all-u

But he likes it. Clearly he's a braindead idiot.

/sarcasm(Just in case)

Looks interesting, but I just looked to see if its appearing in the UK and apparently it's showing in ONE cinema!! In the whole UK. But fortunately I happen to live quite close to it which is a bit weird as I live in the country.

Looks quite interesting. Speaking of stop-motion movies, I hope you get the chance to review at least the DVD of The Pirates An Adventure in Science/Band of Misfits. Really curious to hear your take on that movie, so far it's the best comedy I've seen all year.

God damn it. I am so pumped to see Bob: the Movie, but it doesn't hit Australia for another month. Seriously, before watching this review, I was immensely tired, but now, simply by having been reminded how excited I am for this movie, I probably won't get to sleep for at least another hour. Ah well. Moonrise Kingdom is finally coming out in 12 days or so and Beasts of the Southern Wild's coming here relatively soon, so I guess they can help through the wait for Paranorman.

Man, getting Avengers near a month early was cool and all, but I'm not sure it makes up for the late release of every other film.

Sorry for ranting about vaguely relevant things in your review's comments, Bob. It's just everything I've seen about it looks so good, and your review just made realise that I can bearly wait for its Australian release.

Huh. A movie that could make Bob stop sucking on and getting drool all over the Avengers.
Color me curious.

Tommy Toejam:

hey, hey, come close...

HE NEVER SAID HE WENT TO A CRITIC SCREENING HE JUST SAID HE SAW IT. he could have gone to a early viewing not necessarily a formal critic screening, and cut the video inside an hour.

and also if he did go to a critic screening. maybe the production company only invited people that gave the first one a beaming review in which case "Bob get no ticket", and movie only get positive reviews.

Wow I hadn't even heard of this till now. I'm intrigued!

A kid's movie that doesn't insult kid's intelligence or pander to the Ritalin-Junkie's need for constant stimulation with high-octane pointless frenetics?

Do Want.

I am so watching this, if for no other reason than to support the studio.

A friend and I have had this on our list all summer. When we went to check the times for it today we were disappointed to find that between both the 2D and 3D version there are only 6 showings. Guess who's got more? The Expendables 2, The Candidate, and some movie I've never heard of called Sparkle. So right off the bat we know this movie won't do well because it's already been pushed out of theaters to the point of being non-existent.

gardian06:
HE NEVER SAID HE WENT TO A CRITIC SCREENING HE JUST SAID HE SAW IT. he could have gone to a early viewing not necessarily a formal critic screening, and cut the video inside an hour.

and also if he did go to a critic screening. maybe the production company only invited people that gave the first one a beaming review in which case "Bob get no ticket", and movie only get positive reviews.

There are 60 reviews on rotten tomatoes atm with the first one being posted on August 12th. Its currently sitting at 65% fresh as I am writing this so I doubt any screenings were padded with critics willing to give it glowing reviews. If anything I'd imagine they didn't screen the movie in Bob's area as I don't see any early regional release dates for other countries just a worldwide release.

OT: Movie looks interesting but I doubt I'll see it in theaters. In fact, I can't think of any movie off the top of my head with the except of possibly Dread that I might want to see in the next few months ={.

edit: I actually found a review for it on boston.com posted on August 14th

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/2012/08/14/review-expendables-fleet-footed-and-engaging/uubIdcdebnNoWYC6s8kYkN/story.html

Better than the Avengers? The hell?

*continues watching the video*

Ooooooooh... Yeah that makes sense. If there's anything Bob likes more than comic book heroes on screen, it's anything he can latch onto to relive his goddamn glorified childhood years.

Well, I can't say I was "that weird kid" growing up like you, Bob, since most of the cult nerdism you had in the '80s was relatively accepted in my youth, so I doubt I'll have nearly as much empathy and tolerance as you had going in.

Probably leave this one to a rent.

I'll be waiting for Wreck-it Ralph, personally.

I didn't even know this existed, and now I'm intrigued. Still, probably won't come to Sweden for a while and by then I'll have forgotten all about it. I'm sure I'll see it on TV some day.

Jman1236:
Sadly I feel this is going to get the Scott Pilgrims treatment due to releasing alongside Expendables 2. I was hoping you would tear that movie a new one this week but there's always next week.

Well I off to gamestop to pick up The Last Story at long last and I'll think about checking this one out if not this weekend, then in next week.

Not really. Paranorman is more for kids while Expandables is for adults.

And I feel that SP bombed cause people got to see it for free at Comic Con.

RaikuFA:

Jman1236:

Not to mention the fact that it was very "meh."

Mumorpuger:

RaikuFA:

Jman1236:

Or the fact that it didn't have much mainstream appeal!

Mumorpuger:

From the commercials to the promos in the streets, I thought this movie would suck, because frankly, I thought it was "yet another shitty kids movie" and never researched more about this movie and you're telling me it's probably the best animated feature of 2012 (I utterly refuse to call it better than The Avengers) and not only that, but it's also entirely made in stop-motion*?... I'm interested.

*The 5/10 second trailers shown in TV spots were misleading me to belive it was yet another CGI movie. I'm glad to be wrong.

Draconalis:

Mumorpuger:

I see what you did there....?

Wow, that's really stop frame animation? That's amazing. It's so smooth, it looks like CG. I've never heard of this movie before. I guess I'll have to check it out sometime.

And gee, I wonder why they didn't screen The Expendables 2 for critics...

Captcha: "guess" - I don't think that's even necessary.

Archer666:

Mumorpuger:

RaikuFA:

Or the fact that it didn't have much mainstream appeal!

Yeah, it wore it's quircky indie hipsterness on it's sleeve, and a lack of likeable characters. I watched it on Blu-Ray with my friends and 5 minutes into the movie, I wanted to punch Scott in the face, in a burst of shirtless rage.

captcha: one way
No, MY WAY!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook