The Last Story Review

The Last Story Review

The Wii's last JRPG is one of its best.

Read Full Article

Mine still hasn't come in the mail yet. Also need to get my Wii back.

Inb4: I'm entitled for wanting to buy a game.

Holy mother of god. It has actualy happened. A wii Game I would actualy play. Too bad I don't have one. Damn.

Between this and Xenoblade Chronicles, this was a good year to own a Wii.

One thing the review doesn't mention is that when you scope the area with your crossbow, you can spot environmental challenges, such as archers sniping you from a ledge, and make a snap decision - take them out yourself, or order the party mages to do so. In an early level they actually blow up the ledge the archers are standing on, which makes for a great 'holy crap!' moment.

Is the last image Ganondorf?

Geez you finally getting it now?

Honestly that game is just a case of Quality over Quantity. I admit I did like the persentation but everything else was subpar. Well ok the weapons and armour system were pretty cool but the rest I didn't enjoyed as much. Sure you can praise how renown the composer is but I found the soundtrack to be bland but yet again I am spoiled by the awesome variation from the Xenoblade Chronicl soundtrack.

Just got this game a few days ago, so far I'm really loving it. I agree with the review though, I love the characters a lot and the combat is really fun. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'm looking forward to playing it more.

ciancon:

That's Zangurak, the leader of the enemy warriors.

OT: Good to see this game gets a good review score, I truly loved this game and I finished it about a month ago to discover that new game + offered some new challenges and more upgrades. I have yet to complete a second playthrough because I had to finish Pandora's Tower, but I'll have to get one done once Christmas comes around.

Gizmo1990:
Holy mother of god. It has actualy happened. A wii Game I would actualy play. Too bad I don't have one. Damn.

If your PC is good enough play it on Dolphin, this game along with Xenoblade are absolutely stunning in 1080p with some decent PPAA and both are well worth the price and the wait you lot across the pond had to endure for them.

The last story, eh? Hmmm...wonder if it's anything like the final fantasy. *drum rimshot* :P

I gotta say, I did not expect that high of a rating for this game. Guess I should look into then. I needed an excuse to dust off my Wii.

Wow. I have to admit, for a wii game, it's fairly visually impressive. I'm basing this on the screen shots you linked.

a good jrpg on the wii too bad i'll never own one

As nice and fun as the game probably is I'd be willing to bet these screenshots don't actually look like the game. It's probably ugly as sin with borderline unbearably bad graphics. As awesome as Xenoblade Chronicles was the textures in that game were damn near on par with Vagrant Story on the PS1. Bleh! Put some of these titles on the real next gen consoles you twits!

ciancon:

That was my first thought. He really does look like Ganon. I wonder what he is up to.

Hm... should I just link to my own review of the game or post a legitimate response... I'll do both. :P

While on paper, the narrative sounds about as clichéd as they come, The Last Story pulls it off with remarkable acuity thanks to excellent pacing, strong characters, and short, informative cutscenes.

Now, there's nothing wrong with being cliché as long as you can do it well. Innovation is ultimately undermined by execution, after all. Sadly, The Last Story does not do it well.
To call the pacing "excellent" wouldn't be so much stretching it as much as it would be an utter joke. The problem with the game being a JRPG that's like Final Fantasy is that the expectation is that the game will take you across the world to save it from a massive threat. This expectation is why I was thoroughly confused as to why I was fighting the final boss in his basement only 20 hours in and I'd only been to two islands. With this expectation, the first ten hours feel abnormally sluggish and the plot points revealed feel incredibly minor.

Sorry, not agreeing with "strong characters". That's not saying the game didn't have the potential but, rather, it didn't utilise it. There's no real reason for Zael and Calista to be in love; it just seems to be there for the sake of being there. As I said in my review, it would've been better to forsake the romantic subplot entirely and just focus on the mercenaries, who could've been strong characters had the story decided to focus on them. Out of all of them, Yurick (the "petulant mage") and Dagran are the only ones who are thoroughly explored. There's also a romantic subplot with Syrenne and Lowell which also feels shoved in and awkward and Mirania is a mysterious character who isn't as elaborated on as she should be.

As for the combat, it COULD have been strategic but my methods ultimately came down to "use Accelerate and Ancient Barrier then win". There isn't a single enemy in this game that brute force cannot overcome on its own and there's no reason to use strategy.
And what puzzles? You either use a specific attack or hide behind cover and wait for the enemy to come closer so that you can use Slash. There isn't much to it.

The thing about The Last Story is that, while it's by no means bad, it had REALLY tough competition with Xenoblade Chronicles and Pandora's Tower, the former of which really raises the bar on JRPGs and the latter is one of my Top 5 games of all time. Any other time, I probably would have liked it more. Sadly, this is not the case.

Ghostwise:
As nice and fun as the game probably is I'd be willing to bet these screenshots don't actually look like the game. It's probably ugly as sin with borderline unbearably bad graphics. As awesome as Xenoblade Chronicles was the textures in that game were damn near on par with Vagrant Story on the PS1. Bleh! Put some of these titles on the real next gen consoles you twits!

Personally I'll say to hell with the 'real' next gen consoles. If the JRPG's are good then I'm perfectly happy playing them at PS2 level or less, and the genre was certainly put on life support for the PS3 and 360. That said this got me thinking, I wonder how overall sales vs development cost compares for the Xenoblade and now the Last Story compared to JRPG's released for the PS3 and 360?

For example Mistwalker, the company behind The Last Story, started developing for the Xbox 360 exclusively with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. I would guess this was a strategy from Microsoft to help crack the Japanese market, but the games never sold well and MS kicked Mistwalker to the curb. Kind of obvious in hindsight that making JRPG's for a console that doesn't sell in Japan wouldn't be very good for the developer. Like I said I don't know the numbers but sales for the Wii seem to be much much better. So while they wouldn't look as pretty perhaps we could have been getting much better games of these sorts if they went with the Wii from the start?

Anyways I picked the game up today, after finally finishing Xenoblade recently can't wait to get started on this one.

The Last Story, the best Final Fantasy since Lost Odyssey

Marshall Honorof:
The Last Story Review

Read Full Article

Am I the only one who noticed that the banner said "Video Review" and this is anything but?
Not a large complaint, but I was actually excited to see a video review of The Last Story. A bit disappointed, but oh well.

Why is this labeled at a video review when it only has a gallery of screen caps?

Just got the game about four days ago. Loving it so far. I'd definitely reccomend it to anyone who has a Wii.

RJ 17:
The last story, eh? Hmmm...wonder if it's anything like the final fantasy. *drum rimshot* :P

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the title and who made it. :P

Ghostwise:
As nice and fun as the game probably is I'd be willing to bet these screenshots don't actually look like the game. It's probably ugly as sin with borderline unbearably bad graphics.

Actually, speaking as someone who really didn't like the graphics in Xenoblade, The Last Story looks fairly pretty, even in action. It doesn't stack up to anything on the 360/PS3, but the animations are all fairly smooth, and the character models are large, detailed, and highly variable due to a number of different weapons, armors, and dyes. I pointed out that the backgrounds still aren't so great (the water in particular doesn't look good at all), but by Wii standards, it's pretty good stuff.

Saulkar:

ciancon:

That was my first thought. He really does look like Ganon. I wonder what he is up to.

damn, you both beat me to it.

now we just need that EU relea.....*checks* OH. I should've checked sooner. ASLDKJLSDFHSLJ

Have to say I really did enjoy the game though I agree with the romance being fairly tacked on. The graphics are good when using that kind of hd adaptor cable thing otherwise they are really, really terrible. The banter between the mercs was enjoyable and when listening to Syrenne I kept having the thought I know someone like this. Also loved the voice acting mainly because of the various English accents (and thought I'd gone to see family up North) and not American ones which was a nice change like with xenoblade.

Overall yeah would say it is a fun game except on some battles where the monsters like to play the floor is lava.

Too bad these last few great games had to come so late when the Wii is essentially a Dead platform. Most gamers i know don't even own a Wii anymore and this isn't exactly a game that would target the Wii Fit audience, most of which have packed away their Wiis too.

I probably won't be able to play this game for that reason, i don't own a Wii and i don't know anyone who does own one and might want to buy this with me.

The operation rainfall games taking so long to come to the NA region coupled with Nintendos effective killing of the little white turd the Wii has become has killed almost any chance these games had of taking off. If Nintendo had any sense left they would make porting great third party games a priority, especially to a system that is a barren wasteland.

Marshall Honorof:
The Last Story Review

Read Full Article

Isn't Pandora's Tower and Dragon Quest X still coming out? It's not the last JRPG the Wii will see.

Silverspetz:

Marshall Honorof:
The Last Story Review

Read Full Article

Isn't Pandora's Tower and Dragon Quest X still coming out? It's not the last JRPG the Wii will see.

The chances of Pandora's Tower coming out over here are slim. DQX will probably launch with its Wii U version overseas.

Aiddon:

Silverspetz:

Marshall Honorof:
The Last Story Review

Read Full Article

The chances of Pandora's Tower coming out over here are slim. DQX will probably launch with its Wii U version overseas.

Not sure where you two are but Pandora's tower is out in the Uk, has been for months.

So I've just beaten The Last Story. Great game. Sure, I'll admit by RPG standards it was kinda short. (between 20-25 hours) But I had fun with it all the way through.

Heck, I liked this game even more than Xenoblade Chronicles. Don't get me wrong, that game was great as well. But for me, there was just something missing in that game. It's hard to describe really. Logically, that game should have everything I wanted in a JRPG, but somehow, it doesn't really click with me like games such as The Last Story and Final Fantasy IX do.

Also, helpful tip for first time players to this game: Make sure to make a separate save file for right after you beat the final boss. Because during the epilogue, there are a bunch of easily missed extra chapters, side-quests, and hidden bosses you can fight. I ended up missing them all after I beat the game for the first time, but thankfully I had an extra save file beforehand.

Silverspetz:

Marshall Honorof:
The Last Story Review

Read Full Article

I don't know, it pretty much sold out on the first day at my local Gamestop, I went at around 2:30pm and got the third last copy. Also keep in mind that the Wii-U is going to be backwards compatible, so anyone who doesn't own a Wii now can get these games if they buy the Wii-U.

I was questioning what the sales figures for these games were before but I bet they did better on the Wii than games like Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon did on the 360.

My sister and I are really enjoying it so far. Wandering the city is fun, but we haven't opened up too much yet. (Only a few hours in.) I do really like those red summoning circles in dungeons where you can continually summon enemies to grind up - it's a really nice touch.

The combat and movement is awkward and will still take some getting used to. I've tried it with the classic controller but it just felt REALLY wrong, so I'm sticking with the Wiimote and nunchuck. I do have some issue with the controls (and especially the camera), but it's a great game so far. A lot of nuance and added touches to make it seem lively.

For people experiencing targeting issues, you can "Z-target" (for Zelda players who get me) by hitting "B + Z" You'll lock on to enemies. Not good for hoards, but useful for bosses.

Loved this game. I personally found the controls tighter than Xenoblade. Maybe I missed some side quests, but I feel like Zael and Calista could have been fleshed out a bit more. (Our two main characters)

My only complaint is some of the English voice actors. Loved Lowell's Scottish accent, it really works well with the character. Syrenne's and Mirania's actors didn't do so hot though. Background characters seemed a bit off too...

maybe it's because I'm used to a Canadian accent eh?

Silverspetz:

Pandora's Tower would be silly not to release* considering its already been translated, but is only an RPG in the same way the Zelda series is. Considering Dragon's Quest X is also going to see a Wii U release, I think its a fair bet that one will be shelved for the next console should it ever get a Western localisation.

So basically, highly probable that The Last Story is indeed the last.

* Also worth noting that this is a new IP from a proven and promising 2nd party studio to which Nintendo has already given an unusual degree of permission to take risks. To not sell it in the US after already translating to English could damage any future sales prospects for the IP. Considering the game dumps a tremendous amount of lore on players who care to read it at the end, there is a fairly large chance this could be spun off into an actual JRPG series on the Wii U.

I own a Wii, and it is too bad that Nintendo put on blinders and failed to see the system as more than a money printer. While I understand, from a business perspective, the decision to give more focus to casual gaming, the failure of Nintendo is that focus became singular and exclusive. At the same time, I don't think game developers ever really understood how to use the system because many were still stuck in the old thinking of the controller-pad. Their solution was to always map button presses to some random, ad hoc combination of waggles, rather than come up with a true, coherent sequence of human gestures and motions that flowed seamlessly (like performing tai-chi exercises) within the confines of the hardware's limitations (directional pointing, orientation sensitivity, range of motion, etc.).

I'm not sure their next system will do as well (though I could be wrong). Burning your customers is not conducive to repeat purchases (an upcoming lesson that I think Sony will also be learning).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here