Nostalgia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

There was a time that I was actually decent at CS. Then I graduated college and got a job.

Picked up first gen CS during a Steam sale a while back, in the guise of preparing myself for what was to come.

Having maybe one match of Tribes under my belt from 10 years ago, and zero with CS, I was anticipating failure.

I was right.

What I was not expecting is that every server would be so heavily modified that it took upwards of 20 minutes to download all of the special sound and map files before being allowed the privelege of getting headshotted five seconds into the map.

But I will not uninstall. That will be seen as a sign of weakness.

I suck absolute balls at CS. I wouldn't say I prefer COD, but I can walk 2 feet in a map there without getting sniped by someone who's been playing since 1999.

Replace Counter-Strike with any multiplayer game, including Counter-Strike itself, and you have me.
I know those 'feels' on this one, 'bro'.

Griffolion:

And yeah, I tried playing CS the other day for the first time. I came away thinking "People find that fun? That's the godfather game of FPS multiplayer that people will defend to the hilt til the end of time?". It's probably just me.

Yep, that's who we have to blame for the current plague of mulyiplayer fanatics on XBOX Live! When CS first came out, did it allow for a gamer chat, and did the players vomit liquid hate into each other's ears too?

Tiamattt:
I can imagine the other programs on that computer sounding like the Portal 2 turrets

"I did everything you askeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed"

:p

Poor programs. Why not just throw the game disc out the window?

Ah counter-strike, the game that made me quit online multiplayer back in 2004 with CS: Source. Lots of good memories attached to this game, but after 3 years of playing and never feeling like I was getting any better I just felt there was better things I could be doing with my time.

it really is about the time devoted with online MP...and a certain level of seriousness that varies based on the game. course I won't talk too much cuz I'm only slightly above average in Halo, mediocre in CoD, and miserable at Gears of War online :P

This comic isn't good for my blood pressure. Hugh! Argh! Must stop laughing...

This comic is so me on bad days. You know, just those days that no matter what you do you just can't get a damn kill and some asshole named xxsupernsiperelitexx keeps headshotting you with awps and EGYE(GIJEGOPG *throws computer out window*

Had to laugh to this one. Erin in this strip is exactly how I would act.

Play Ib or McPixel!

So how hard did these guys work to make it EXACTLY like CS:S so nobody would rage when their skills didn't transfer over 1:1

Aaahh CSS... Pretty much the only reason left to still have that piece of shit Steam.

I stopped reading after he said that black ops perfected the genre. Just.... No.....

Love the comic though :D

Angry Juju:
I stopped reading after he said that black ops perfected the genre. Just.... No.....

Are you sure you didn't stop reading slightly before that?

Erin...
why do you have the yandere face D:

Ahhh, the good old Counter-Strike, how I hate and love that game.

ZippyDSMlee:
Better not to change than become crap. I'ma looking at you COD..... GOW.... every other sequel made...

Funny, I actually completely disagree.

I'd rather a series at least try to do something new, and fail at it, than to stagnant and rest on its laurels.

Grey Carter:

Angry Juju:

No actually I read the whole thing, but everything fell out of my head after you said that it perfected the genre... Unbalanced, not innovative, bland art direction, no soul, buggy as fuck. The game is even designed as a time sink, why do you think the prestige system is as it is? And why do you think that they reset your level every year for the cost of $60

ZippyDSMlee:
Better not to change than become crap. I'ma looking at you COD..... GOW.... every other sequel made...

HEY. gears of war, or god of war, or whichever you were talking about, are very good games. sure, they dont completely innovate, but what sequel does. and for gears of war, they have consistently added a new game mode, one of which started, or was at the forefront of a craze [horde mode].

Allthingsspectacular:

ZippyDSMlee:

Funny, I actually completely disagree.

I'd rather a series at least try to do something new, and fail at it, than to stagnant and rest on its laurels.

Looking at Final fantasy I am going to have to disagree, its all well and fine if they want to experiment on spin offs but not on the main game...it makes most of them suck...

MArio has kinda gone down hill since Mario 64....

Lord of Shadow is not better than CV:LOI/CV:COD, it might have smoother combat but worse level design.

All in all trying to make new watered down or whack ass game play narratives tends to result in a weaker product.

bullet_sandw1ch:

ZippyDSMlee:

HEY. gears of war, or god of war, or whichever you were talking about, are very good games. sure, they dont completely innovate, but what sequel does. and for gears of war, they have consistently added a new game mode, one of which started, or was at the forefront of a craze [horde mode].

I don't play muliplayer, and "GOW" has not changed much, I just threw it in the for the lulz and to see if anyone would catch it. :P

cieply:
You mean you'll leave it to people with more skill? ;P

I agree CS is hard, but god, black ops is atrocious.

On the other hand, I wanted to do what is presented in the panel many many times and many mice lost their lives at the hands of angry gamers due to CS.

On the other hand, Black Ops has Tomahawks. Which just makes it automatically better.

I suck at Counterstrike, so I just play every game as if it were Scoutknives. Its so shameful to get killed by Captain Scountknives.

Ha! This is probably one of my favorites.

I like tf2 better, not as hard :D

Angry Juju:

Grey Carter:

Angry Juju:

No actually I read the whole thing, but everything fell out of my head after you said that it perfected the genre... Unbalanced, not innovative, bland art direction, no soul, buggy as fuck. The game is even designed as a time sink, why do you think the prestige system is as it is? And why do you think that they reset your level every year for the cost of $60

I think you may want to read it again, mate. I said nothing of the sort.

The truth, it had been revealed.

As a Counter Strike Source player. I rarely went online, but when I did I was below average to say. Except I found it much more fun when you play against computers, sure they may kill you within seconds but its better then having people screaming at you.

And I know the pain. X_X

Grey Carter:

Angry Juju:

Grey Carter:

Misread :d I read 'Admitting that I prefer Call of Duty, particularly Black Ops, the game which arguably established and perfected the genre'

Warband and Dark Souls are similar, despite being far lower tech, there is a real learning curve, but once you get the game, you can become a big boss.

I...I don't see that gerbil thing anywhere o.O

Darth_Payn:
-snip-

I just didn't find it fun, I didn't go on to vomit hate to anyone..

DTWolfwood:
The game is hard because there's recoil in the guns. I think people have forgotten what that feels like when holding down the fire button is actually detrimental to your killstreak. lol

I think it's even harder because the recoil isn't representative on your crosshairs. Which means the bullets go above your crosshair, even if your view and crosshair doesn't.

I remember playing Counter Strike back in the day. Like Quake, it always reminds me how easy "Competitive FPS" games are these days. I'm not really to good at it though but I still have fun knowing that when I get taken down it's by someone fast, accurate, and familiar with the weapons they are using and the environmental their in.

is it me, or does she live in a really shitty looking house/apartment? Guessing game reviewing doesn't pay well

Angry Juju:

Grey Carter:

Angry Juju:

Misread :d I read 'Admitting that I prefer Call of Duty, particularly Black Ops, the game which arguably established and perfected the genre'

Man do you probably feel like a big asre right now.

Itsthefuzz:

Angry Juju:

Grey Carter:

Man do you probably feel like a big asre right now.

Yes i do feel like a big asre for a two letter mistake.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here