Escape to the Movies: Expendables 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Aiddon:

drschplatt:
Moviebob is so useful. If he says a movie is great generally I don't watch it because it'll be another self absorbed, pile of dialogue full of mindless psycho babel no one cares about.

If he says it sucks, that generally means it's a good hour to hour and a half of relaxing fun that is funny and has humor and references he has his head shoved too far up his ass to appreciate.

You obviously forgot that his favorite film is Robocop and that he's given positive reviews to stuff like Machete, The A-Team, The Raid, and Predators which he said can be enjoyed solely on be GOOD action movies. Congratulations, you've proven that the one stuck up their ass is YOU.

Are you like Moviebob's self appointed white knight or something? Every post I've seen of yours in recent memory is just you rushing to his defence.

chiggerwood:

Calibanbutcher:

Calibanbutcher:
My prediction before watching the review:
He won't like it

I was right, this proves I have psychic powers to predict the futuuuuure.

Wait I need another showing of you power. Will the sun set in the evening?????? I need to know!!!!!

I predict, that there will be only one day the sun will not set where I live in the future, but every other day it will.

AnarchistAbe:
Go see and formulate your own opinion!!!

I loved this movie for what it was: a campy, action flick with awesome one-liners, and a host of (now aged) action stars. Don't go into this expecting ANYTHING but what it is, and I think you'll enjoy it.

Addendum: I don't get the critical slaughter of this series... This is a tongue-in-cheek, self-refferential action film. THEY REFERENCE RAMBO DIRECTLY for fuck's sake!!! This was not TRYING to be a critical success. It doesn't take itsself seriously. I just don't undestand the mentality behing listening to a critic with a movie like The Expendables.

No, I will not do that. The reason why critics exist is to not poopoo on things you like. They exist to provide informed opinions about pop culture events. The key is to get a lot of opinions and see what the middle is.

Also, self-referential is not a good enough reason to like a movie for some people. If it's done well, that's one thing. Expendables was not done well.

I thought that they set out to have a good time in Bulgaria and film the movie they wish they made in 1987. and in that regard they score 10/10, I liked it and if you like Arnold's Cammando then this movie is for you.

Well it was a pretty bad movie, saw it last night, I liked the first one too.

Thanks a lot, Bob. Thanks a fucking lot.

Up until now, I completely forgot that I saw the remake of When A Stranger Calls.

It's going to take a long evening with Kamchatka to forget that one.

BoredRolePlayer:

Graham_LRR:
-Snip-

Got an example of a joke that could have been done much better? If your gonna say there are ways to do something better at least give a example.

I wasn't talking about the jokes (the jokes were okay, but the Willis/Schwartzenegger reference-off really killed the energy in that scene), I meant the whole movie could've been better.

This movie was fun enough, but there have been truly stellar action movies (mostly starring these same actors), and this one could have been amazing. But the director and writers clearly can't handle an ensemble cast, and are too caught up in how "cool" it is to have these actors under one marquee to focus on making it an excellent film.

Graham_LRR:

BoredRolePlayer:

Graham_LRR:
-Snip-

Got an example of a joke that could have been done much better? If your gonna say there are ways to do something better at least give a example.

I wasn't talking about the jokes (the jokes were okay, but the Willis/Schwartzenegger reference-off really killed the energy in that scene), I meant the whole movie could've been better.

This movie was fun enough, but there have been truly stellar action movies (mostly starring these same actors), and this one could have been amazing. But the director and writers clearly can't handle an ensemble cast, and are too caught up in how "cool" it is to have these actors under one marquee to focus on making it an excellent film.

Fair enough I thought you were referring to the Rambo joke, I can see where you are coming from though. Although I can only speak for myself I thought it was a fun trip (I rarely get into a movie at all, I mean I caught myself going "Oh snap" during the Stathem fights multiple times). But that's what makes people different and makes the different mediums diverse if you ask me.

I just wish the big fight they build up to had been much better. Most of this is just Ocean's 11: the rat pack version.

But if you love these guys, you'll have fun.

Really? You referenced The Rundown and the RE movies as a comparison to this?! For one, I don't know how anyone could even possibly like the Resident Evil movies, being the abomination of a survival horror game adaptation that they are. The Rundown was just poorly executed schlock using Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Sorry, none of the people who star in those movies, with the exception of Danny Trejo and Rutger Hauer (who should have had parts in the Expendables), don't even come close to delivering the sort of on screen machismo-charisma of Arnie, Sly, and Van Damme. I understand that you were trying to compare this movie to its 30 year old counter-parts which I will refer to as THE GOLDEN AGE OF ACTION MOVIES, but you blew it by bringing up such stinkers as the rundown and the mother fucking Resident Evil movies?! Really?! JESUS!!!

i too hated the Expendables. it was like the actors involved forgot they were only half the reason we saw the movie. the other half was good ol' fashion action movie madness. it was like they surgically removed all the fun the fun from the movie before release. ive never been so bored in an action movie (and ive seen all three Transformers and Battleship).

it was also really bland. i barely remember a thing about it. i remember plane, girl, guns, and lots of fire fights with nothing to keep the interesting or unique from one another. it felt more like a lowbudget straight-to-video action movie that through a deal with the devil signed several action stars and a big budget theater release. its a shame too. with that cast and decent script we could have seen a resurgence of the old school action flick. this means these modern action films with constant closeup shakycam footage of incomprehensible CG effects isnt going anywhere any time soon.

Well at least this time he actually said why it was bad instead of just whining that it made more than Scott Pilgrim. I'll probably still watch it when it's free though.

Just watched it last night on a whim with friends.

It was everything it needed/I expected it to be. Macho manliness, explosions, guns, old men ruminating on the past, Stallone being incomprehensible as usual.

It wasn't deep, it wasn't earth shattering, it wasn't cinema redefining. But it didn't need to be. I went in there with a set of expectations about Expendables 2 that the first one had caused me to form, and I wasn't disappointed. Not all films need to be the second coming of Jesus in order to be entertaining.

In my opinion, it's a decent way to go about a night with friends, you'll have a great laugh together.

I've had a lot of fun watching all the stupid going on in the movie, and I frankly believe it was done a lot better than the first one: the characters looked more, well, unique, even if the objective was only reached through 90s standards of macho action flicks. Which is kind of the point of the movie.

I also got the impression all the actors had a lot of fun filming this; they did indeed take a trip to Bulgaria and shoot some scenes between a drink and another, I'm 100% certain this is what happened.

Hmm? I'll go check this movie out tomorrow I guess, I only hope it's entertaining.

I don't have a high enough opinion of the first Expendables film to actually "defend" it but I do wonder how people can get themselves so worked up in hating these kinds of movies so vehemently? I mean they are what they are, whats the big deal?

Iīm actually a bit surprised that an avengers fan like Moviebob doesnīt love this one, i find both movies quite similar for a variety of reasons. But i found this one a bit more entertaining, a bit better paced.

Iīd recomend it to anyone who likes a fun action movie, even though i donīt normally like these overblown summer blockbuster action movies. I think one of the things i liked about it was how everyone involved seemed to enjoy what they were doing. Dolph Lundgren, Stallone, Schwarznegger, Willis and Statham (among others)seemed to have the time of their lives performing these roles. It is a bit stupid (understatement of the year), but atleast i doesnīt try to take it self seriously, it knows what it is and rolls with it.

Btw, this comes from someone who despised Transformers 2 and who almost fell asleep through every Pirates of the Carribean movies and i havenīt seen the first Expendables. (just to put it into perspective how surprised i am that i highly enjoyed this movie).

lord.jeff:

MB202:
I remember last year (or was it two years ago?) when The Expendables got the most comments EVER on an Escape to the Movies video, and everyone was super pissed, so much so that they kept complaining about all of his other reviews after that. Now... I think people have either mellowed out or completely forgot about it. It's like they only live in the moment and don't have any kind of foresight or hindsight about them. I actually never bothered to see The Expendables, so I'm not going to bother here. Really, in both cases, the only interesting thing about them is seeing all these action stars in one movie, not because of the actual movie itself... Oh well.

The reason it was so commented on was because of who insulting Bob was in it, calling anyone who saw it a sheep or a idiotic piece of macho meat, and saying how much he lost faith in humanity just because something that had never really had a chance of being much more the a cult classic not being number one on the chart, pretty much saying you don't have the same taste as therefore you are an idiot. He did this review a lot better and if he had the the review for the first one like this he probably wouldn't have gotten called out

I have no plan to see this movie myself I never cared much for nostalgia movies of any kind.

Yeah, I did figure that MovieBob was overly harsh towards anyone who liked the movie. His use of hyperboles in his videos always get taken the wrong way.

Warachia:
however, Bob doesn't read his comments (which he said himself)

Really? Because I've been following Bob for, like, ever, and he said that he reads EVERYTHING, he just doesn't respond to every single one.

However, in the case of the Expendables, I feel like, in his Piranhas review, he chose a REALLY inappropriate image and a far-removed complaint about his previous review, and made it seem like THAT'S the only thing people were angry about, and that, I feel, was out of line.

It's really funny (in an ironic sort of way), because he REALLY liked that movie and tried to promote it a lot. I remember him posting on the previous thread, saying people should go see it, but instead, everyone was either so laser-focused on what Bob said that they didn't listen to him, or outright DIDN'T see the movie just to spite him.

You know i don't know why i went back through bob's review's,
maybe i just wanted to prove to myself just how full of shit he is,

or maybe i'm that dumb.
"I wanted to like it."
no Jay sherman.. you totally didn't.

just like you go into all these movie with heavy handed need to hate the movie right off the bat.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you it was an awesome movie and this isn't me defending something i truly loved.

It's a by the numbers movie bob predictable "It stinks" review.
and yes i am retarded for coming back an expecting anything else.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here