Jimquisition: EA versus Zynga - The Lesser of Two Evils

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

EA versus Zynga - The Lesser of Two Evils

Electronic Arts and Zynga duking it out is one of the biggest supervillain slap-fights in history. Both companies are reviled by gamers the world over, but as is our nature, we can't just sit back and watch the carnage. People are picking sides, and while many have chosen to root for the lesser evil, they may be confused as to which one that actually is.

Easy mistake to make, to be honest. It's hard to tell.

Watch Video

That was a spot on impersonation of Bane. Probably helped you already have a British accent.

Oh God, Jim's uncanny Bane impression made me lose my shit XD Bravo Jim, that was amazing.

"This games industry... will... endure..."

On a more serious note; **Ahem**.
People hated and feared Zynga not because what they were doing effecting them directly, but for the example and power they were wielding over the rest of the 'business' side of the industry. Companies like EA lost their shit and panic-bought people like Playfish and Activision is still saying that 'anything is on the table' when it comes to mobile/social games. The big publishers were actively re-tooling themselves to focus on social gaming and would likely drag a lot of their talented development staff with them.

Social gaming is (it's fast becoming a 'was') a massive yet unattainable cash-cow miracle for the big publishers. It is their wet dream. They can rake in millions of dollars without doing what they fear most; having a single creative thought. Zynga's downfall is so important because it shows that the social gaming 'miracle' was merely a bubble and that the frankly illegal business practices they employed are not viable for the empty suites over at EA and Activision to emulate.

Social gaming was the future. That horrible distopian future has now turned mostly to shit. People are glad it has turned to shit. BUT all of this happened without EA and before this legal action. EA is just piling in to look like a good guy and its pretty pathetic.

"EA is a hero for the little people"
That's why they fired George Fan after announcing Plants vs. Zombies 2

The worst part of this is that by suing Zynga, EA is saying they own the entire sim genre. That is not something anyone should fight for.

Granted, the plagiarism is a big deal too, but Zynga I'm sure still built the game from the ground up.

I thank god for Willem Dafoe or however his name is spelled.

As for who to root for, I root for the developers that EA has assimilated into its amorphous blob of a form. However, EA and Zynga can both go die in a fire. I'm generally not a fan of Zynga just because they don't make games I would like to play, I'm really not a fan of EA because they embody everything publishers should aspire to NOT be, so I say both companies can go bankrupt. Hopefully EA's roster of developers prisoners will escape so they can go back to making games for slightly less annoying corporate overlords. And while I'm at it, perhaps someone will make the REAL Ultima 9 and declare the one we got non-canon.

I still say if we need to blame anyone, we blame Corporate Commander.

Yeah, EA has done nothing but destroy game company after game company... This may perhaps be the first time that EA's had a hand in taking down a company without owning them first.

Yeah I agree that Zynga's the lesser eville (I apologize for the pun but I had to say it) and I hope they win the lawsuit because otherwise I fear EA will start suing more and more developers because they can.

Were people actually naive enough that this recent lawsuit was anything about one company slamming down on a much smaller one. This is more news to me than the fact EA resembles a flesh eating disease.

AAAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!! I'M WILLEM DAFOE!!! NOW ITS TIME TO GO LICK THE SUN!!!

I couldn't stop laughing at this vid.

Right. Start a kickstarter to enable Jim to sue both EA and Zynga. Sorted.
And I'm not sure why Willem Dafoe has a bit of a northern accent.

I"m frankly surprised that this needed to be said. It should be obvious that EA fighting it out with Zuma isn't a clear sign that it's going to improve its own practices. That's as retarded as saying that you can't like a game and hate its developer. THINGS CAN BE OTHER THAN ALL BAD OR ALL GOOD, PEOPLE!

The only reason I was happy about EA suing Zynga into the grave is because I knew it couldn't happen the other way around.
I'll settle for less evil all around if that's what I can get.

What? There are actually people cheering on EA and eating up their PR shit about this? Ugh... people are so fucking stupid. That's the fanboy/"hardcore" gamer mentality at work right there. "EA is suing that casual FB game company! EA are our heroes because they're pretending to hate what we hate!"

I.Muir:
Were people actually naive enough that this recent lawsuit was anything about one company slamming down on a much smaller one. This is more news to me than the fact EA resembles a flesh eating disease.

Human beings are capable of stupidity on levels that boggle the mind. Add arrogance and you've got a person that is not only stupid as all fuck but angrily opposes anything intelligent because they can't admit they are wrong about anything. The most frightening thing in the world is that these people vote, they drive cars, and they get into management positions. That's enough to make anyone cry.

I guess the idea is people want to show EA that they can and will support them when they're in the right (and I do think legally they're in the right here) and rise up against them when they're in the wrong (Day One DLC and the like) thereby showing them what they can do to get gamers to like them again since to companies like EA, PR matters. Maybe, just maybe if the most powerful company in the industry wakes up to what gamers want from the business side of the industry, then we might just see a bright future for this industry.
...and maybe Willam Dafoe isn't incredibly sexy.

Ohhh I see what you did there. This entire episode is a joke isn't it? No one would actually believe EA is a legit good guy.

Why the hell would Bane be wearing a Batman t-shirt?

trollpwner:
That's as retarded as saying that you can't like a game and hate its developer.

Fanboys are kind of crazy like that.

Mid Boss:

I.Muir:

Human beings are capable of stupidity on levels that boggle the mind. Add arrogance and you've got a person that is not only stupid as all fuck but angrily opposes anything intelligent because they can't admit they are wrong about anything. The most frightening thing in the world is that these people vote, they drive cars, and they get into management positions. That's enough to make anyone cry.

*Feels validated because somebody else gets it.

Those not knowing why Willam Dafoe is there, listen to Podtoid for the love of god! xD

Invadergray:
I guess the idea is people want to show EA that they can and will support them when they're in the right (and I do think legally they're in the right here) and rise up against them when they're in the wrong (Day One DLC and the like) thereby showing them what they can do to get gamers to like them again since to companies like EA, PR matters. Maybe, just maybe if the most powerful company in the industry wakes up to what gamers want from the business side of the industry, then we might just see a bright future for this industry.

I'm all for positive reinforcement. I think it needs to happen more. However, this is a corporate copyright lawsuit. It's something companies like EA do by habit, and it'd do this if it were Zynga or a company gamers actually loved. Its crowd-pleasing statements of intent are hypocritical at best and wholly incidental to the actual reasons behind the suit.

Rewarding a company for doing simply what companies do isn't something I can cheer for. Especially when those patting EA on the head see no benefit. The consumer practices EA supports and popularizes still happen. Studios will still be cannibalized. If it stops THAT shit, then applaud away.

I wonder if I vote for Willem Dafoe, Jim will do a Co-op sewing against EA and Zynga being wankers? :O

Speaking of which: Did anyone notice there was a link on the NIN front page, to Pirate Bay to download all of NIN's stuff? (Trent Reznor was against SOPA and PIPA, and it ended up on there around the time MegaUpload was taken down but he was like "Lol, not givin' a fuck."). There was a tweet by Rob Sheeran that Reznor retweeted.

Really. As long as EA loses some metaphorical teeth (maybe an arm, some toes) in the process of kicking Zynga's metaphorical head off, I think I can live with myself.

The enemy of my enemy is not always my friend.

contla:
"EA is a hero for the little people"
That's why they fired George Fan after announcing Plants vs. Zombies 2

Case in point.

I just wanna go on record: That's an insult to the Joker there, Jim. The Joker has style, whereas we know that EA does not. So, find us a flat, boring, stereotypical villain that nobody likes or sympathizes with, and THERE'S YOUR MAN.

OT: I'm sorry, but I never cared what Zynga was. Can't we just kill them both? Or better yet, let's throw everyone we don't like at EA to wear them down and THEN hit their legal servers with about...

*Dr. Evil pose*

...ONE MILLION LAWSUITS!

Jim you should start a kickstarter to sue EA, I'm sure a lot of people could happily get behind that.

I'm personally indifferent to the whole lawsuit after thinking it over, I just don't care, and we all know that EA will win because it's fucking EA and has a bottomless money well rivaled only by perhaps Activision Blizzard.

Thank you Jim for pointing out that EA is basically attacking a dying company. When I first read that article it baffled me how people were saying good job EA when they were essentially trying to fight a person with all their arms and legs broken.

Zynga has been copying other people's work for years now and after all these years of copying crap EA decides now that they are on the way out they might as well get some good press by attacking a wounded animal.

This is just me personally but I think EA looks worse from this white knight attempt over another bloody copyright infringement. I would be surprised if both EA and zynga lasted another five years without going bankrupt or being bought out.

OWENR22:
Why the hell would Bane be wearing a Batman t-shirt?

It's ironic, lol.

Thanks Jim, wasn't brave enough to say it on the actual thread because of the appalling amount of 'Oh thanks most gracious EA, zynga is teh sux.'

I really wanted to do a legitimate face palm and rant like this, but... I knew you'd step up to the plate so I went and made a coffee and enjoyed the day instead. Thank god for you Jim.

Hey Jim, do you think you can sue ActiVision while your at it? Or get Miniature Fantasy William Dafoe to sue ActiVision while you deal with Zynga and EA?

Another great video, Jim. I loved the Bane impression, especially with the fake vampire teeth glued onto the face mask. Freaking brilliant.

On another note, why don't we all start up a Kickstarter to give enough money to Jim (or whoever else we can trust) to buy up 51% of EA's stock? ....Of course, that's assuming they're a publicly owned and traded company...

What do you think, guys and gals? Is this a viable option, or do you think it can't be done?

Using your pedophile slapfight metaphor, isn't it for the best that one of them gets knocked out? I don't care if its the other one that does it or some police officers. If Zynga gets crushed by this lawsuit I will be happy. I'm not cheering for EA, I'm cheering against Zynga.

Invadergray:

Couple of problems here (itemised for my convenience):

1. A lot of people are siding with EA not so much because EA is in the right as it is because "fuck Zynga." This mentality that Jim mentioned is legit and widespread.

2. There is a problem with giving them support when they remained silent on Sopa/Pipa and therefore tacitly supported it. It's hypocritical (of them, that is) at the least, and quite possibly monstrous.

3. They're not really "doing right." They're doing.

4. Large, homogenous companies have trouble differentiating what actually gets them support and criticism. If you (generic you, not specific you) are going to support EA's practices some of the time, be prepared for a large body of confusion. Especially if the parts you support are covered in bullshit and propaganda (like "EA is sticking up for gaming).

As such, large companies like EA have a lot of trouble sorting out positive reinforcement. To the same extent, they often have trouble differentiating negative reinforcement as well, though the latter is more likely to effect a change. Of course, that change may not be positive.

But still, to the point, EA is still doing bad things even as it "stands up for the game industry," which is really only standing up for their bottom line. And really since they're only standing up for their bottom line, they are doing what they ALWAYS do, and so it's hard to realistically pat them on the back here and then go and say "bad dog" when they cancel your favourite game franchise. Supporting EA in this case will probably have the long-term effect of being a giant "fuck you" to the consumer, the base to which you theoretically belong.

It's even worse in an era where loyalty is assumed, not earned.

Winthrop:
Using your pedophile slapfight metaphor, isn't it for the best that one of them gets knocked out? I don't care if its the other one that does it or some police officers. If Zynga gets crushed by this lawsuit I will be happy. I'm not cheering for EA, I'm cheering against Zynga.

Which in this case is still cheering for EA, because it only strengthens them in the end while it benefits you in no way, shape or form. But semantics, I guess.

Great video all in all but the best part was obviously Jim's Bane impression. Don't know why I got such great amusement out of it but dammit that was my favorite part.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here