Zero Punctuation: Sleeping Dogs

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sleeping Dogs

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Sleeping Dogs.

Watch Video

I fucking loved this game. Still, I thought you said you were working on Darksiders 2! Oh, that must be for next week. Both great games though.

I only found this video 3 minutes after my clock had turned to 6 and already I had started shaking and showing symptoms of withdrawal.
I might have a problem.

Maybe it's called Sleeping Dogs because if you let your guard down, Hong Kong will eat you alive.

GTA V better have a jetpack or Yahtzee will have an aneurysm!

Urgh.

I want a cop sandbox game! I want to be a detective in a city like San Andreas or Stillwater, chasing after these homicidal bad guys and being penalised for killing the wrong people and being too brutal! We had it back in the 90s/early 00s with the SWAT games, so why not now?

Very funny review as always.

Shalok:

Hell, given how much unnecessary BS got crowbarred into the game I'm surprised that Saints Row 3 didn't have a dildo shaped jetpack.

I totally wasn't waiting up just for this to come out before bed...

Sniff sniff*

Smell that? It's jetpack dlc.

I've been enjoying this game very much thus far. The focus on combat rather that gunplay for the most part is refreshing in a sandbox game. Also I relish the minor mechanics such as the ability to throw people into the back of cars and take them somewhere.

In regards to the jetpack remark, by that logic I think that the only sandbox game that has evolved is Just Cause 2... a game which Yahtzee really enjoyed. Fine, I suppose the argument does hold water then haha!

I keep hearing good and bad things about this from everyone. Most people love it, most people hate it for being buggy. I guess that's what happens when the developer changes and picks up the project about five years or whatever after it was cancelled.

That whole episode was worth it just for the "punchline" at the end. Indeed. If there's no jetpacks, you might as well just be banging two rocks together.

The whole "undercover cop" bit sounded familiar, but then the two different bars for cops and bad guys really makes it sound like the Heart of Darkness episode of Miami Vice. It's a shame that's not where they got their inspiration from, because if they had, the game would be all the better for it.

He makes a good point, though. Not even SR3 had jetpacks. Why the hell not?

Rakor:
Sniff sniff*

Well I already saw a screen shot floating around with the main character sporting the grappling hook from Just Cause 2 so don't know what that's all about...

MelasZepheos:
Urgh.

I want a cop sandbox game! I want to be a detective in a city like San Andreas or Stillwater, chasing after these homicidal bad guys and being penalised for killing the wrong people and being too brutal! We had it back in the 90s/early 00s with the SWAT games, so why not now?

This. Revival of the Police Quest series for the modern market. Not this undercover cop bullshit. Heck, True Crime LA is still the best of the three, and that's GTA III era.
Something along the lines of L.A. Noire with more randomness and sandboxyness to it.

Captcha: public good
Fuck yeah, solvemedia!

Still the same could be said about GTA4, Did it have a jetpack ?
No it went the gritty realism route and was worse for it. So of course they have to copy.

Spiders that are on fire? Are they, by chance, wearing clown faces?

8-years ago I think the only thing San Andreas didn't have was surfing and, skateboarding. It had almost literally everything else including but not limited to a big fat bastard jumping out of a harrier jet at sub-sonic speeds, a roid-raging anger-man riding a moped over old ladies on a board walk and, as Yahtzee said, a Jetpack. I think Just Cause 2 was the closest we've come to matching San Andreas this generation which just seems kind of wrong to me.

As for Sleeping Dogs it looks good and I'm more pleased that it takes place in a city that isn't New York City or, Las Angelas (which could become the NEXT New York City). I'll probably grab this one up when the price dips a bit.

Shalok:

GTAV will be hyperrealistic. You will need to operate your legs individually with each analogue stick and there will be a stamina bar for each. Anything remotely fun will be removed, and cars will handle like cows on rollerskates. You know, realism.

Looks like no jet pack this time.

MelasZepheos:
Urgh.

Because being a raging sociopath is all the ra...Ummm...Think of another word that isn't rage.

Seriously, though, I think that'd be awesome.

gphjr14:

Rakor:
Sniff sniff*

Well I already saw a screen shot floating around with the main character sporting the grappling hook from Just Cause 2 so don't know what that's all about...

It's DLC I'm pretty sure, allows you to "action hijack" from further than usual.

OT: They do sort of provide a reason why they trust you. Wei grew up with Jackie,Winston and Dogeyes and they do show signs of thinking he's a cop at first

Excellent as always, Yahtzee.

And I think we can safely include "flipping out the buttered fuck crumpets" in the list of Yahtzee's BEST LINEZ EVAR. Also, the image that goes along with it.

I hate how escapist videos are broken in Opera now. Forcing me to use IE, the only other browser I tolerate...

being forced to karaoke...yep sounds like every other time I decided to hang out with Asian friends...sigh :P

I just finished the game and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Was the spiders on fire barrel a subtle nod to the LRR video Fear Itself? I do certainly hope so, but probably just a coincidence.

Hmmm, the only thing that surprises me here is given the focus on hand to hand combat (to begin with at least) it's not being compared to say Yakuza as opposed to GTA. I haven't played it yet, but from the descriptions it sounds a LOT more like Yakuza than GTA, especially given the mention of mini-games like Karaoke.

That said, having seen what they did with City Of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online, not to mention games like Prototype and Infamous, I've been waiting for a single player third person sandbox RPG based around super heroes where you can create your own character and select powers and such as opposed to being handed a guy with electricity or bio powers and told "play this". Basically the hero MMOs, but with the depth that you only get from a single player gaming experience.

I'll also say that "Saint's Row" seems to have taken the sandbox insanity crown, where "Grand Theft Auto" has gone in the "realistic" direction. That said while you have jet bikes in SR 3, you don't yet have Jet Packs. I'll also admit that they kind of ruined a lot of the insanity by making the world a bit too silly, as many have said, the insanity works best when the world plays straight man for you (so to speak).

What's so great about Yahtzee's reviews is that whatever his take was, I always walk away knowing pretty well whether *I'll* like the game. This is nothing like an endorsement from him, but now I really want this game. What can I say, Arkham Asylum meets Assassin's Creed meets GTA is good enough for me...

It's almost entirely unimaginative, although I did manage to derive some mild enjoyment from it. Needless to say, the critical-wanking it's received has been somewhat perplexing.

I has review here.

Yeah, it's quite well polished; but then it's pretty much just copying GTA IV (a 4-year-old game) and adding an incredibly lazy undercover-cop plotline. Hell, it doesn't even steal the most interesting aspect of the original True Crime.

min6char:
What's so great about Yahtzee's reviews is that whatever his take was, I always walk away knowing pretty well whether *I'll* like the game. This is nothing like an endorsement from him, but now I really want this game. What can I say, Arkham Asylum meets Assassin's Creed meets GTA is good enough for me...

The difference being those games all have well-defined personalities. It's Assassin's Creed meets Arkham in the loosest sense possible. I.e. you fight people, there is occasionally a 'free-running' section. (Although really it's just a quickened-up jump mechanic.)

Bah. I'm quite happy there isn't a whiff of jetpacks or the like in Sleeping Dogs.
There are other sandbox games like Just Cause 2 and Saints Row. It's good to have diverse(ish) sandbox games rather than each one just be ridiculous.

I was also super disappointed with the security cam thing. It was ages before I twigged that it was just always the same thing.
I was closly inspecting every aspect of the peoples behaviour trying to tell which one might be the supplier and was always surprised that this time it happened to be the guy with the suit again. Until I twigged :/

There are a couple of similar minor disappointments in Sleeping Dogs but overall it's quite fun and the voice acting and characters are really good and I enjoyed the setting and style too.

I remember in the intentionally bad classic game Takeshi's Challenge, there was a mandatory karaoke minigame, I guess that's where they got the idea.

San Andreas remains the best GTA esque game in my heart. There hasn't been a game since san andreas that provide the atmosphere and freedom. GTA4 was a real let down, I was in a city all the fucking time!

So Yatzee, Darksiders 2 next week yes?

Good idea mediocre execution actually sums it up pretty nicely. The game was fun for the most part but it could've been a lot more. Couldn't agree more on the whole guns thing though - it's like the writers want to escalate the feeling of danger towards the end but don't know how to do it any other way so they stick with the good-ol boom sticks, but totally ruined the original Hong Kong setting which they spent more than half of the game setting up.

Anyway I think the main draw of the game and why people finding this game good is mostly because of the exotic setting, and as a Honkie myself who grew up watching quite a few of those Hong Kong triad movies I do find that I have a huge soft spot for this game that let me overlook a lot of the flaws. If not for this I would say this game is just merely ok as it is a fairly run of the mill sandbox game which took a few good pieces of game mechanics and just stitch it up in a presentable but not completely polished way.

I loved Sleeping Dogs. I originally got it as a time sink until Darksiders II was out and I ended up loving it way more than I thought I would. The only real complaint I had for Sleeping Dogs was that the dating was quite misleading. Wei mentions more than once in the game that he's not looking for a steady relationship so when I was getting the phone numbers from the women you could take on dates I was phoning them all.

Then about halfway through the game I had a side mission to follow Tiffany who was apparently cheating on me, that one confused me considering we weren't going out. So when I did the mission then confronted her she started screaming about me cheating on her and I was just sitting thinking "Sorry, but when was it ever implied that we were going steady?!" a few missions later Not Ping (never found out her real name) calls me and starts screaming at me over the phone about cheating on her with Tiffany. So yeah, the dating was misleading.

Everything is better with a jetpack. EVERYTHING.

Also: once you have a jetpack, you never go back. Its impossible to do so.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here