No Right Answer: Best Animated Disney Movie Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Facepalm... The best animated movie ever (not just Disney) was Snow White. Watch it again and you'll agree. The wealth of animation, the fantastic characters, the awesome music, the nudge-nudge wink-wink jokes, Snow White is simply the best. Every frame is a masterpiece. Pinocchio is almost on par for artistry, but the animation and story are a bit worse. It's all downhill after that (although each movie has something great, see Bambi and Dumbo).

In second place comes Fantasia 1940, mainly the "Night on a bald Mountain" devil scene which has THE best animated moment ever made (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYSbxRiUgOo at 08:40).

An honorary 3'd place should go to Mickey Mouse & Friends - The Band Concert (1935) (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IErXg5kBXXg).

After watching Bolt and Tangled I was really surprised to see a great comeback of artistry in Disney movies (although 3D). Tangled is actually my favorite 3D movie, surpassing Finding Nemo's supremacy in my top spot.

I find the lack of clasic Disney movies references a little bit disturbing :S for me the best are The Jungle Book and The Fox and the Hound wich costed 12M dollars and had the work of Ollie Johnston and Glen Keane

karamazovnew:
Facepalm... The best animated movie ever (not just Disney) was Snow White. Watch it again and you'll agree. The wealth of animation, the fantastic characters, the awesome music, the nudge-nudge wink-wink jokes, Snow White is simply the best. Every frame is a masterpiece. Pinocchio is almost on par for artistry, but the animation and story are a bit worse. It's all downhill after that (although each movie has something great, see Bambi and Dumbo).

<--- ALSO THIS

Firefilm:
Best Animated Disney Movie Ever

We've all grown up on classic, hand-drawn Disney classics, but will the next generation only know PIXAR as the purveyor of magic? The boys debate what one chunk of childhood Dan should pass on to his baby.

Watch Video

My only problem with Beauty and the beast is that her name doesn't mean beauty, her name is beauty. They are in France and are speaking French

Come on people. We all know Sleeping Beauty is Disney's best film.

Mulan wins hands down in my eyes! The best female protagonist Disney has ever had by far.

The Best is the Lion King, great casting, including Rowan Atkinson, Jertemy Irons, Whoopie Goldberg, and Nathan Lane, and a fantastic story (IT IS FUCKING HAMLET!)

To put it out there: Gaston is one of the most awesome characters ever created, the music is really tight top to bottom, and French is something that isn't really done that often anymore. I'm going with Beauty and the Beast.

I wouldn't call it the best Disney movie I have seen, but nostalgia demands me to give mention to Aristocats. Watched it many times as a lil' boy. Real sweet one.

Also, Pongo and the 101 Dalmatines. That one is also a strong favorite of mine.

Sleekit:

Call Me Jose:
Lion King all the way. End of Story.

lion king ?

sry but Beauty and the Beast blows that out the water.

the opening number alone is better than almost everything in the lion king.

although tbth i may be heavily biased as i like musicals and Beauty and the Beast pretty much has the classic structure of a musical...

...also i'm not gay mmmkay -.-
jus' puttin that out there...

I guess that's what took me away from Beauty and the Beast, I'm not much into musicals now and even less so as a child. I feel that watching Lion King you can relate so much more because the story is a little more transparent than it is in Beauty and the Beast. Not saying that I like being spoon-fed my story but if its a Disney movie, why not.

I love this scene because of the message, I felt that the whole movie was an example of this scene and carried the tone throughout and showed how Simba was able to overcome his fear of failure as well as the death of his father. I do respect your opinion though, Beauty and the Beast is a great movie as well.

You're wrong.

The answer is Basil the Great Mouse Detective.

Yes, that's Vincent Price singing.

Vincent Price is the villian, that's how awesome this movie is.

Nope. Just nope.

Aladdin gets #2 behind the Lion King, so that was a good one to choose, but I'm not even sure Beauty and the Beast is in my top 5. Let's see,
Lion King, Aladdin, Hercules, Mulan, Little Mermaid. Nope, #6. Still beats out Cinderella and Snow White but those are super old so they get some leeway there.

Daystar Clarion:
You're wrong.

The answer is Basil the Great Mouse Detective.

Yes, that's Vincent Price singing.

Vincent Price is the villian, that's how awesome this movie is.

I know there probably are better made Disney movies, but dammit, I have to go with this one, too. Its Sherlock Holmes as a mouse. What's not to love?

I credit them for Beauty and the Beast. It was touching and fun and acclaimed. Aladin had a great ending. I wonder if too much of it was culturally important at the time (immitation of William F. Buckley) that kids in the future will not get? Music, story and characters not really on par with B&B.

What other contender comes close to these 2? Not Lion King. This:

misterprickly:
Their both wrong... The Black Cauldron is the best AND it was the FIRST Disney movie to incorporate CGI.

GamemasterAnthony:
Interesting thing to note: The third movie in the Aladdin series actually went back to the source material. Aladdin itself was based off one of the characters from the Arabian Knights tales...and they went back to it for the third movie by using Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.

Now...I would have personally voted for the Black Cauldron myself for best animated Disney movie, but that's just me.

And here I thought I was the only one that adored The Black Cauldron.

Mulan. Hands down. Followed by Hercules.

The rest is a mixed bag.

.. I'm probably not the only one, or maybe one of the very few- but what about Lilo and Stitch?

It was so successful, it had it's own series and two movies based off it. I don't count the anime version that's being taken place now they're ruining the franchise I came to know and love. Even if not nominated, Lilo and Stitch will always have a place in my heart.

Goddammit, I can't pick a favorite. D:

I love Beauty and the Beast and I watched it so much as a kid that my VHS tape stopped playing correctly.

The Rescuers was pretty awesome.

But The Lion King made me BAWL as a kid, and it had the best songs, and Timon and Pumba were awesome.

Sorry guys but this movie had not been topped yet as far as Disney goes.

Noone drinks from the cup like Gaston!

I'm pretty sure Lion King can't be beat

I know it's pretty much Classical music videos, but can we get some recognition for Fantasia in here? I mean damn, has anyone ever done anything like that before or since? That was some pretty avant garde shit they were throwing around. There is no way I can speak for everyone, but I love classical music now, and I don't think I'd even know how to listen do it if not for Fantasia in my informative years.

Sure Aladin can make you cheer, Lion King can make you cry, but freakin' Fantasia teaches you how to feel dammit.

No Lion King? No Hunchback of Notre Dame? Those movies were haunting, yes Alladin was awesome, Beauty and the Beast was totally forgettable to me.

Lion King?

No?

...Okay.... :/

Fantasia. Widely considered Disney's masterpiece. Not just the marketing gimmick "Disney Masterpiece", but Walt Disney's actual masterpiece, his magnum opus.

Hey MovieBob? wanna weigh in on this?

If we're boiling it down to those two movies, then Aladdin outstrips BatB by a significant margin. The motivations of the characters are clear, and the pacing is just right. BatB has some jealous prick rile up a whole town with a little bit of fear mongering. The "discovery of self" for the beast is grade-A storytelling, but when push came to shove, the rest of the film just clearly doesn't work as well as Aladdin did.

I was going to say too, if we can throw Pixar in there, then The Incredibles is my best movie ever. Not just Disney or Pixar, but of all time.

In this debate, I had to go with Aladdin. Overall Disney animated movie though, The Lion King. No question about it, such an iconic Disney movie.

Lion King is the best.

favorite is still lion king.

The only movie to come out with a life style to live by. Hakuna Matata!

And now to go watch loads of disney movies!!

It is a tie between Hercules, Aladdin and Robin hood with how ever gets second fights Mulan for 2nd then death match for 3rd and 4th.... btw

HOW WAS HERCULES NOT EVEN CONSIDERED?!?! It had James Woods and Danny Devito!!!

ciancon:
And now to go watch loads of disney movies!!

I haven't watched a Disney movie since I was a kid, but after this I feel like reliving my childhood.
I must watch all the Disney movies!

cynicalsaint1:

Terminate421:
There is a distinct lack of Lion King in that choice.

How could you forget the Lion King?

It's like forgetting the ice-cream in an Ice Cream Sundae

Obviously they couldn't pick the Lion King because that one would win by default

The Lion King is all about Simba. Technically, his Dad is just as important, but Mufasa dies half way through the movie; thereafter, the picture revolves solely around Simba. The lioness Nala is just there to prop him up as are the other two stars, Timone and Pumba. The Lion King has only one complicated character -- Simba.

In Aladin, the main protagonist dreams of rising out of poverty; Jasmin is trying to get out of her "Cage", the palace; and Genie wants freedom from mystical bondage -- he is spontaneous because of his hope in freedom (Aladin's 3rd wish) while the other two are trying desperately to avoid their past. Aladin and Jasmin are calculating, but Genie just reacts, and that's why he's a perfect foil.

You don't get this in Simba.

(Wow, that's not bad. I just figured that out.)

Hjalmar Fryklund:
I wouldn't call it the best Disney movie I have seen, but nostalgia demands me to give mention to Aristocats. Watched it many times as a lil' boy. Real sweet one.

This. From the look of it, it isn't even on the shelf. I know there's a ton of Disney films, but still, I'm disappointed.

I found the Road to El Dorado to be a fairly strong movie based on its musical numbers and a fun one to watch as well.

Oh the Beast Wars referance... oh lord what a weird crossover that'd be...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here