The New Class

Pages PREV 1 2

Scrumpmonkey:
Oh god, the latest episode was so good. You should have just called this comic "Say my Name".

Walter White's journey has been a gradual one but a noticeable one, this season he's really flipped from "Good guy gone bad" to just "Bad guy gone crazy". All the resourcefulness and endearing bumbling has turned to cold calculated crime lord callousness. I like how they have channeled all those good qualities that could have potentially brought him back and turned them into terribly useful traits for a man in the "Meth Empire Business".

But i ask you Escapists, Is a meth empire really something to be proud of?

These comics are my Drug.

in all seriousness Meth is a very bad drug, just stuck to alcohol kids adults.

Matthew94:
I just want to be "that guy"

From the rules

posts including, advocating, or linking to illegal or adult material are a very quick way to end your time as part of The Escapist community. An example of these are:

Illegal Drugs in the United States

I reckon Grey needs a warning for this post :D

Well technically Narcotics aren't illegal, you can get a LOT of narcotic drugs legally with a prescription, painkillers and such. This is why it's such an issue with Quack physicians giving out drugs people don't actually need for extra money and so on, and also why there are certain drugs you can't have someone pick up for you.

For all we know Cory has a serious pain problem, the narcotics actually make his life more berable, and he either has crappy insurance or none at all so needs money to afford them. :)

Note the smiley, I get that your joking, but even on technical terms nothing said here was actually encouraging illegal behavior. Now it did IMPLY that, but well... I don't think it stepped over that line, even if we were to accept it was intended seriously (where it's likely a joke, since he's selling art for a profit, and being honest about it, rather than some people who do this stuff at cons that donate the proceeds to charity like Child's Play or whatever).

Copper Zen:
I don't watch TV. Now I feel like everybody else did about the last strip that had to do with politics.

Could somebody explain this joke to me?

The could somebody tell Grey to get back to Erin? The endless crazy story line at least didn't need for everybody to explain what was going on to each other.

If nobody else explained it in the thread, I might be the first.

Simply put there is a show called "Breaking Bad" which is about a chemistry teacher who fall on hard times and turns to crime. It's a criminal drama with a science nerd/chemist as the protaganist. I don't really watch it, but it's pretty popular. If your familiar with "Weeds" which is about a house wife turning into a pot kingpin, this is vaguely similar in general theme, and it was inspired by shows like that.

The idea here is that because the show is well received, and has made chemistry seem awesome due to all of the stuff the guy does with it (which goes beyond just drugs), you have all these kids who are fans of the show lining up suddenly to try and learn chemistry when they previously wouldn't have cared, or skimmed through it as much as possible. They are all dressed up like the guy from the show in a fanboy style to make it kind of funny.

That's the basics, it's a pop culture thing that most people would get I'd imagine, but if you don't watch much TV (even casually) I can see how you'd miss it. I've been there myself having gone long periods without watching more TV shows.

To be kind of honest I'm a little disturbed on some levels about the number of shows glorifying crime nowadays, but I suppose I can understand the appeal, and why we're seeing so much of this after the success of "The Sopranos".

Therumancer:

To be kind of honest I'm a little disturbed on some levels about the number of shows glorifying crime nowadays, but I suppose I can understand the appeal, and why we're seeing so much of this after the success of "The Sopranos".

Eh, Breaking Bad isn't really glorifying crime. It's gone gradually from 'easy money with high risk' to 'easier money with less risk' and has now fallen into 'easy money balls deep in risk'.

At first it was fun, now it's showing what getting involved in this kind of crime can do to even a man with the best intentions.

All that being said, it's easy to see how people can let television and games influence their career choices. When I was 15 I was a big fan of CSI and I went to college to study forensic science and criminal psychology.

Therumancer:

Breaking bad is not glorifying crime. Without spoiling too much, I can tell that it shows how horrible the drug business is. It has corrupted Walter (the main antagonist), people die, and everybody seems to lose what they love. I also like how there's no good or bad guys. Everyone in this series is morally ambiguous, and it constantly deals with problems in the grey zone of morals.

Pinkamena:

Therumancer:

Breaking bad is not glorifying crime. Without spoiling too much, I can tell that it shows how horrible the drug business is. It has corrupted Walter (the main antagonist), people die, and everybody seems to lose what they love. I also like how there's no good or bad guys. Everyone in this series is morally ambiguous, and it constantly deals with problems in the grey zone of morals.

Yeah it definitely doesn't present crime as something that is pleasant. That said I was like 'You should watch Breaking Bad it's hilarious' to my mate and he watched the first episode and was like 'There is something wrong with you.'

Apparently I see the black comedy easier than most.

On a serious note, if anything, watching it has helped me further understand what my Dad went through in the six weeks he lasted against cancer.

The colour on the hat is too light, to play the pedant. Otherwise, awesome :D

Azure-Supernova:

Therumancer:

Eh, Breaking Bad isn't really glorifying crime. It's gone gradually from 'easy money with high risk' to 'easier money with less risk' and has now fallen into 'easy money balls deep in risk'.

At first it was fun, now it's showing what getting involved in this kind of crime can do to even a man with the best intentions.

All that being said, it's easy to see how people can let television and games influence their career choices. When I was 15 I was a big fan of CSI and I went to college to study forensic science and criminal psychology.

Not sure the life and dealings of Walter White are meant to be an example of a path to follow. Which of course doesn't mean they won't be taken as such.

Don't watch the show. I thought they were all Gordon Freeman.

5ilver:

Azure-Supernova:

Therumancer:

It's funny how crazy popular Breaking Bad has gotten this past year or so, It's been around for 4 years now, and before March I'd never even heard of the show, now I'm more addicted to this show than meth!

One of my favorite TV shows. That episode with the guy's acid-dissolved guts falling out of the ceiling still haunts my dreams.

How convenient; I've just started watching "Breaking Bad" recently.

TheMann:
Pfft, meth. Nobody studies chemistry just to learn how to make meth, that's absurd. People study chemistry to learn how to make explosives, everybody knows that.

And pyrotechnic compositions, don't forget about them. I wanted to study chemistry after i found out about thermite, and before it turned out that i suck at that branch of science...

albino boo:
Why is Gordon Freeman sitting in the front row?

Okay, good, my mind isn't playing tricks on me.

Breaking Bad is not my thing. I am not into dark drama, like the shield or .... another example. >_> The problem is that my boss keeps badgering me to watch it. "I know You'll like it" No you don't. >_< I hate being looked down on for not liking what's popular. Sorry for the dump, internets, but I had to get that of my chest. Oh , the comic is funny. n_n

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here