GinxTV: Designing Guild Wars 2

Designing Guild Wars 2

See how and why Guild Wars 2 looks the way it looks.

Watch Video

It looks great, these people seem very talented at making things look epic. For me that isn't the point. It's still going to have MMO grind, fetch quests, generic fantasy settings and story telling.

The creative directors/artists for guild wars 2 have created some of my favorite new designs ^_^ coming from someone who wants to be a creative director and has no idea how to get into that position in the market, i'm absolutely in love with these interesting perspectives on creatures and races.

liam_whinery:
It looks great, these people seem very talented at making things look epic. For me that isn't the point. It's still going to have MMO grind, fetch quests, generic fantasy settings and story telling.

You do realize there are only about five things in the entirity of life to actually do, right?
Go somewhere,
find and/or transport something,
defeat something,
solve a problem,
nothing.

liam_whinery:

Having been playing since the start of the early access, I can say quite confidently that I don't see much in the way of grind (I've been playing only sporadically due to work in those six days, but I'm already level 40 and I don't feel like I've been doing anything more than exploring the world), that the "fetch quests" never require you to move an object more than about a dozen yards (grab a frog and put that frog in the trap about a three second stroll away, for example), that the fantasy is only generic if you consider something automatically generic just because it has magic and dragons in it (personal preference, but with the steampunk aesthetics of the Charr and the Rennaisance aesthetics of the humans it doesn't particularly feel generic for me), and that the story is... well, hardly the deepest and most insightful story in the world, but it's fun and has actually made me laugh a few times.

Regardless, my favourite thing about this game has been exploring the world, because the sights you can see are just stunning, and it's largely thanks to the concept art team. I really love the effect that causes distant objects to look increasingly more like their concept art the further away you are.

2xDouble:

liam_whinery:

You do realize there are only about five things in the entirity of life to actually do, right?
Go somewhere,
defeat something,
solve a problem,
nothing.

Why stop the reductionism there? There are only two things in the entirety of life:

• Do something.
  • Do nothing.

Don Reba:

2xDouble:

liam_whinery:

Go somewhere,
defeat something,
solve a problem,
nothing.

Why stop the reductionism there? There are only two things in the entirety of life:

• Do something.
  • Do nothing.

Because those are exclusive opposites and as such cannot be combined in any meaningful or relevant way.

However, my good sir, you win reductio ad absurdum.

2xDouble:

Don Reba:

2xDouble:
Go somewhere,
defeat something,
solve a problem,
nothing.

• Do something.
  • Do nothing.

Because those are exclusive opposites and as such cannot be combined in any meaningful or relevant way.

However, my good sir, you win reductio ad absurdum.

Going somewhere, finding or transporting something, and defeating an enemy are ways to solve problems. You have to go somewhere to transport and often to find something. You might have to defeat enemies in order to get somewhere, as well. They all combine wonderfully. :)

My point is, though, that it makes no sense to reduce this far. It is not at this level where good stories differ from the bad.

liam_whinery:

Says the guy who in all likelyhood hasn't touched the game and is only going off of what he thinks is true but...

... I suppose you can't please everyone :(

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here