Trailers: The Sims 3: Supernatural - Launch Trailer

The Sims 3: Supernatural - Launch Trailer

Now you can Twilightify your Sims experience.

Watch Video

Hmmm, I don't really follow "The Sims" (tried it, didn't care for it) but didn't they already cover this with supplements like "Night Life" and "Making Magic"?

I'm pretty sure I've heard people who ARE into it talking about all the wierd stuff with raising plant people and mummies, and vampires, and everything else, which is why I tried it (though it wasn't anywhere near like I thought it might be).

I don't know, maybe they key is the "3" part of it where they are updating old content for a new version of the game or something.

Therumancer:
I don't know, maybe they key is the "3" part of it where they are updating old content for a new version of the game or something.

Bingo. Not sure if you were being sarcastic with the rest of your post, but you just described the business model which The Sims lives off. Will Wright is almost as much a prick of Peter Molyneux

nayrbarr:

Therumancer:

Bingo. Not sure if you were being sarcastic with the rest of your post, but you just described the business model which The Sims lives off. Will Wright is almost as much a prick of Peter Molyneux

Will Wright left Maxis not long after Spore because he wanted to be more creative than EA wanted Maxis to be. That said, the Sims is a pretty solid series unfortunately it isn't the best coded and each expansion seems to introduce even more bugs. Plus they now push DLC in game constantly which I don't like.

[edit]
That said the fact EA thinks that this should cost $40 from Origin says a lot about them that we already knew.
[/edit]

This franchise needs to go away. The expansions are getting dumber and dumber

Lord Draenor:
This franchise needs to go away. The expansions are getting dumber and dumber

I tend to disagree, the Sims has always been about virtual dollhouses and virtual soap operas. The expansions just give you even more options for it, but that doesn't mean you need to use them every generation or even every game. Heck I had a lot of fun doing a dirt poor play through focusing on the child of an unemployed crazy guy who I only controlled enough to get him food. When I stopped playing the kid was married, the father evicted and he was a 3 star celebrity, a master gardener and had a kid on the way raising the question of who I should end up playing when the time came. It's just a damn shame they charge so much for all of the expansions because at least in my mind they aren't worth $40, but $20... I could see that.

It's funny, but I haven't played The Sims since the original, and the last supplement (and perhaps only supplement--it's been that long) that I bought was Making Magic.

I've seen it evolve from a distance, and I can understand that they have no compunctions about milking the franchise for all it's worth by basically updating older versions. That's business. If they don't make money then they go out or business and then they're not putting groceries on their own kitchen tables.

Fair enough.

But I have to admit that the only way I'd buy the game would be if I had money to burn, not because I wanted the game so much that I would save up to get it.

Besides, if Sims 3 Supernatural is so much like the original in that I spent 95% of the time sending the characters to the bathroom and only 5% of the time playing in the 'magic world' then the appeal gives way to my distaste for 'grind'.

I remember playing this once, I had a tiney house a shitty job and all I did was work eat and sleep. that was the same thing I was doing in real life so I dropped that game pretty quick...

When I see this trailer I think "how do people even have time for a secret lair when the carpool car arrives in 5 mins"

Do people still buy the sims? There has to be atleast a small amount of people who still buy these $40 (I'm an Aussie) rip-offs "expansions" for EA to justify making them, but still.

Heh, buying Sims 3 with all DLC will cost you 350 euros. Thats what I call good business sense, since there are people buying that stuff.

Good thing I never saw the appeal of Sims. Tried 2 for a while, not my cup of tea. Otherwise I might be even poorer than I already em! :D

Most of the people I know who like the sims are women who don't typically play videogames. It's basically playing 'dolls' I can see how it makes money. I seem to remember the first sims you could download tons of free mods from people and my then girlfriend made all her sims look like Gundams.

I really enjoy the sims 3 mostly for making houses. There are some really nice things people come up with. It's cool to make like a massively long family tree of people too and try to get as many of the lifetime achievements done as you can.

It's a bit of a strange 'game' mostly a creative tool I think as the actual gameplay doesn't really pose much challenge. I play it mostly when I want to relax.

I have many of the expansion up until pets, doubt I will buy any more unless I really get back into it again.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here