GinxTV: Halo 4 Preview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Halo 4 Preview

Take a look at the latest installment in the Halo franchise with Ginx.

Watch Video

I played Halo 1 and 2, but hated 2 and never bothered with any other.
It never grabbed me as it did with some people, so I am fairly indifferent to this. We'll see if it's worth checking out.

Good grief I hope this turns out to be good. The multiplayer hinges for me on whether they fix Bungie's awful lobby system. Matchmaking on 3/Reach can be utterly dire when games depopulate and the matchmaking won't let anyone else join, couple with long between match times and...

Anyway, Spartan Ops sounds very interesting, I hope there is a fairly heavy narrative and objective base to it. If it turns out as a few lines of text and a Horde Mode level that'll stink, but the potential sounds great.

Li Mu:
I played Halo 1 and 2, but hated 2 and never bothered with any other.

You should give ODST a try, it's more Metroid Prime meets Halo 1 than the other Spartan based games. It's certainly much more interesting than 2/3, if a little short.

I am trying desperately to remain as non hyped as possible but this is looking far to good. Hopefully this doesn't come out anywhere near finals week.

Hype level +1

Sigh I wish Halo 4 would be on PC. After canceling my live sub I just can't justify spending the money to buy the game and a subscription again, especially for a game that might not hold my attention for longer than a month or two.

edit: If anything i'll get it for the single player but unless we're getting a PC port (we're not) no way i'll be playing multiplayer :(

It looks very cute, but I just don't see myself buying a console.

A more sophisticated multiplayer experience you say? With all the will in the world that won't happen until the player base gets an upgrade too. By upgrade I mean... grow up, you know... because they all act like children? Or they are children? Meh... tough crowd.

"Players choose their own load outs in multiplayer"

What?

no no no!

The reason i play halo (i also play cod, i'll point out not for the following reasons) is that Halo was a perfectly balanced multilayer experience, everyone spawned equal, same weapons, no perks, just skill to separate players and it worked beautifully. Bringing cod style load outs into the series is a rubbish attempt by the franchise to ape the cod bandwagon and it sounds like they've forgotten what made the halo multilayer franchise so popular (along side its awesome tripod of guns, grenades and melee).

Everything else about this game is looking amazing, even the multiplayer up til' i heard that. I really hope this feature is only as shallow as Halo Reach's invasion mode loadouts, shallower actually. Those loadouts worked because of the scale, size and progression of the invasion gametype. In standard, smaller games like slayer, CTF, etc... i like the balance of having the same start gave the gameplay, it was all down to skill. I know i'm speaking before seeing the finished product but the fact they've chosen to mention it in the run up hints that its a big change to what we've had for the last 10 years, we'll have to see if this change is good, but i'm doubtful this fits in well with Halo Multiplayer.

Yes, i'm a huge halo fan, massively hyped for this game! I'm interested in innovation in the series but i feel this isn't an innovation that fits with the unique gameplay if halo compared to other shooters :)

I really want to this game to be good. It's a big gamble now that it's out of Bungie's deft hands. Everything looks good, though given that it's promotional material, it's should. I'll keep an eye on it for the time being anyway.

Oh, but why are they bringing back regen health? I loved the health bar/med pack system of Halo reach. It was one of the reasons Halo 2/3 are the weaker entries in the series, gameplay wise.

Ruley:

What?

no no no!

The reason i play halo (i also play cod, i'll point out not for the following reasons) is that Halo was a perfectly balanced multilayer experience, everyone spawned equal, same weapons, no perks, just skill to separate players and it worked beautifully. Bringing cod style load outs into the series is a rubbish attempt by the franchise to ape the cod bandwagon and it sounds like they've forgotten what made the halo multilayer franchise so popular (along side its awesome tripod of guns, grenades and melee).

Yeah I'm concerned about that too. CoD plays pretty damn different than Halo when it comes to multiplayer. Hopefully they'll be able to maintain their own style and not feel like their copying them.

Mcoffey:
I really want to this game to be good. It's a big gamble now that it's out of Bungie's deft hands. Everything looks good, though given that it's promotional material, it's should. I'll keep an eye on it for the time being anyway.

Oh, but why are they bringing back regen health? I loved the health bar/med pack system of Halo reach. It was one of the reasons Halo 2/3 are the weaker entries in the series, gameplay wise.

Ruley:

What?

no no no!

Yeah I'm concerned about that too. CoD plays pretty damn different than Halo when it comes to multiplayer. Hopefully they'll be able to maintain their own style and not feel like their copying them.

Gentlemen.....your kinda late to the party. We were pretty much discussing these issues months ago but if its any help after the multiplayer demos at E3, Halo Fan expo and having personally played it at pax , it definitely feels nothing like COD :)

Every time I see anything for Halo 4 i always get disgusted by how much they are destroying the ascetic of the armor, Halo 3 got the armor for cheif perfect, now he just looks like a character from a cookie cutter unreal engine game, and don't get me started on the multiplayer armor.

monkeymo4d:

Mcoffey:

Ruley:

What?

no no no!

Gentlemen.....your kinda late to the party. We were pretty much discussing these issues months ago but if its any help after the multiplayer demos at E3, Halo Fan expo and having personally played it at pax , it definitely feels nothing like COD :)

How does the load out system work exactly? Is it like Reach or isn't an entirely new thing?

Dansen:

How does the load out system work exactly? Is it like Reach or isn't an entirely new thing?

Here.

No weapon perks, but you can basically pick any two standard issue weapons in the game as well as an armor ability.

EDIT: I forgot. They do put the CoD default button layout in the game and call it "fish sticks."
Hehe.

OT: I'm glad this is coming out, but I'm pretty Halo-ed out. I'll watch playthroughs, though.

Ruley:

What?

no no no!

While I don't like to make harsh judgements before having actually tried a game (well, mostly) I wouldn't like it if Halo 4 ended up with a loadout system too similar to the COD style. Playing Halo Reach pleasantly reminded me of playing the likes of Unreal Tournament way back. Everyone started with the same weapons and if you wanted a better one, you had to find it on the map. That, and players could take more than a few rounds of most weapons so quick and easy kills weren't so easy to come by.

I wouldn't be too worried, as I can't see Halo abandoning its current MP stylings just like that. I hope...

On that subject, it seems sadly ironic that the Unreal engine is often synonymous with generic space marines when in the UT series you probably had some of the more diverse range of characters in an FPS - robots, seriously ugly people (:P), genetically modified/augmented humans, warriors in ancient Egpyt style gear and the "Nightmare" people to name a few. And some marines here and there, granted. Where has the time gone?

Dansen:

Well I only got to play regicide and CTF on the new map exile but the loadouts work similar to reach's loadouts but more complex. You can pretty much customize your primary weapon(Promethean Suppressor,BR, DMR, assault rifle) and your secondary weapons (magnum,plasma pistol, boltshot) but don't fret power weapons are not in the loadouts which means shotguns, sniper rifles and rocket launchers can only be found inmatch unless your playing infection or something. You also get armor abilities which seem a lot more useful than in reach e.g I used thrusters and autosentry during the two matches.
You also get armour mods like Awareness which allows for the use of motion trackers while scoped. There are probably other weapon mods but I only used awareness.

There's probably a lot of stuff I forgot to mention but if you wanna learn more there's like 100+ hours of multiplayer game-play on youtube which should give you some more information.

Mcoffey:

Ruley:

What?

no no no!

I agree with you in part. I agree that part of the appeal of halo is that it's an older series and doesn't feel exactly the same as COD. The balance is a big part. What I wish they would do, is have several pre-defined loadouts. They sort of did this in Reach, but all the loadouts were was the same guns with a different armor ability (except in invasion mode). What would be nice is if they made each loadout have different guns as well. Not like invasion mode where you can start with a shotgun, but maybe choose between assault rifle, battle rifle, plasma repeater, that kinda stuff. That would allow for customization and personal playstyles without ruining balance. It would also give some of the alternate guns (plasma repeater, needle rifle, spiker, etc.) a chance to shine, since before they were only really used in campaign (they were too similar to other guns to even be worth picking up, since everyone had assault rifles and you could get infinite ammo for it from dead enemies.)

It looks like they are doing something similar to this (from what I saw in the video posted above), although the loadouts are not predefined. This could work since it seems like they are mostly just offering basic guns, but I don't like that you can choose any grenade type. Plasma grenades are just better than frag grenades in all but a few situations. I wonder what the new pulse grenades are like, might be cool. The new loadouts look interesting as well. I like that they're bringing back the Halo 3 equipment in armor ability form. The regenerator and autoturret were really cool, but the equipment system was broken. The new shield thing looks nifty as well.

Lastly, they really need to bring back the SMG. God I loved that gun, pointless as it was. If they ramped up the firing speed and damage but decreased the accuracy it would actually be a pretty unique gun.

monkeymo4d:

Mcoffey:

Ruley:

What?

no no no!

I've kept as up to date as i can with multilayer and the story and other things regarding Halo 4 as best i can, but given my recent schedule its been hard for me to keep as up to date as i'd liked. I appreciated this summary video and indeed my comments may be late, but i'd appreciate a less dismissive wave of the hand as it were regarding them!

I agree, gameplay looks mostly unchanged - given that in a standard halo match you can change weapons a hell of a lot more than in CoD (as is the feel and nature of a Halo multiplayer game)and that looks all the same. I'm not saying the gameplay will be in a different mindset all together, i'm merely commenting that it seems to be taking smaller and smaller steps towards another game franchise. Steps i fell would be detrimental to Halo.

Indeed, i might be late to the discussion but until the game comes out, one could say the discussion isn't over :)!

Ruley:
snip

Ahh forgive me If I offended , its just that most of the time when people point out the similarities between the games they immidiately assume that the game is ruined when in fact most of the feedback has been incredibly positive. Mind you even I still have concerns (e.g Why am I not allowed to drop the flag once I pick it up) .

Indeed,the discussion isnt over and in the next couple of months we will see whether or not our fears come to fruition however judging from what we've seen so far, halo's future looks bright. :)

Ruley:

What?

no no no!

Everything else about this game is looking amazing, even the multiplayer up til' i heard that. I really hope this feature is only as shallow as Halo Reach's invasion mode loadouts, shallower actually. Those loadouts worked because of the scale, size and progression of the invasion gametype. In standard, smaller games like slayer, CTF, etc... i like the balance of having the same start gave the gameplay, it was all down to skill. I know i'm speaking before seeing the finished product but the fact they've chosen to mention it in the run up hints that its a big change to what we've had for the last 10 years, we'll have to see if this change is good, but i'm doubtful this fits in well with Halo Multiplayer.

Yes, i'm a huge halo fan, massively hyped for this game! I'm interested in innovation in the series but i feel this isn't an innovation that fits with the unique gameplay if halo compared to other shooters :)

I agree with you so much. The Halo series was kinda the last "Weapons on map" shooter on the market, and its really what Separated CoD and Halo. Having loadouts at all is already making me feel like Im gonna purchase "CoD in space" And itll sorely disappoint me. One of the funnest things about the multiplayer (To me) were the massive fights over the power weapon spawn points. Hopefully it is shallow. VERY SHALLOW.

Ruley:

What?

no no no!

Having seen some footage from PAX of the multiplayer I don't think it's exactly the same as CoD. From what I gather (although it may have just been because they didn't want to limit anyone's experience for the demo) Although you do get to choose loadouts everything is available at the start, unlike CoD where you have to level grind to unlock everything, meaning the people who have been playing longest have the best mix of stuff to choose from. If this is true than I don't see it unbalancing the multiplayer, just giving players more choice as to the stuff they prefer to use (Halo has always had a good balance of weapons vehicles and equipment, with no one thing ever breaking the game by being impossible to counter, so I don't think we need to worry about more experienced players being given an unfair advantage in that respect anyway).

From the video:

"Spartan Ops, a series of episodic co-op missions based on a weekly cinematic miniseries... that means a constant stream of Co-op content."

Is it just me, or is that exactly what Daikatana was supposed to be. Errr....

monkeymo4d:

Ruley:
snip

Ahh forgive me If I offended , its just that most of the time when people point out the similarities between the games they immidiately assume that the game is ruined when in fact most of the feedback has been incredibly positive. Mind you even I still have concerns (e.g Why am I not allowed to drop the flag once I pick it up) .

Indeed,the discussion isnt over and in the next couple of months we will see whether or not our fears come to fruition however judging from what we've seen so far, halo's future looks bright. :)

No offense taken my friend, apologies if i inferred that, i am defiantly not one of those people mind you! It would take a train wreck of a Halo game to turn me off the series. The extended story the games have generated in books and other fiction have really engaged me so by default I'll enjoy any bog standard Halo game. But Halo 4 is looking to be anything but bog standard! Much better In most if not all of its offerings! The multiplayer still looks like classic Halo but i cant help but shake the feeling that, given that this is a new trilogy, we'll see more tweaks and additions throughout Halo 4-6 and i fear that might take it closer to cod even more.

But with so many veterans of the original Halo games on board with 343, the next trilogy is set to be a strong competitor in the Xbox market! :)

lordcloud47:

Ruley:
snip

I agree with you so much. The Halo series was kinda the last "Weapons on map" shooter on the market, and its really what Separated CoD and Halo. Having loadouts at all is already making me feel like Im gonna purchase "CoD in space" And itll sorely disappoint me. One of the funnest things about the multiplayer (To me) were the massive fights over the power weapon spawn points. Hopefully it is shallow. VERY SHALLOW.

I agree, i want Halo to stick with its "weapons on map" style of gameplay, it is unique in the current offering of top name shooters and needs to stay that way, otherwise it will end up being painted with the same brush as CoD perks and overpowered weapons if the changes continue!

i'll just point out my opinion of the video above - some of those perks look useless in my opinion and some overpowered. Like infinite sprint? What happens when they get the energy sword? The balanced games of Halo 3 are gone it seems, i had the same grudging feelings about Halo Reach's Armour abilities (AA) being too much like perks in CoD, how one AA can counter another AA and its no longer so much about skill but what AA the person you're fighting has. I thought deploy-able equipment was the cherry on the cake of Halo's gameplay, it was just the unique twist it needed. Seeing all these load-outs etc is not filling me with hope. A Halo lobby should just be about chatting, having a laugh - not the overly tactical "ok, so we're on a close quarters map next? hang on whilst i change all my weapons to assault rifle" etc...

From having a 30 minute whizz around youtube the gameplay does indeed look much the same as the past games we're used to, so i guess you can dismiss a fair few of my comments in regards to Halo 4. However, keep them onboard as i guess i mostly fear for what comes next. If they felt that building on the per-determined load outs from Reach was a good idea, does that mean they're go one further in the next game and build on the custom loadouts of Halo 4?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but what we really want to know is what will Rooster Teeth do with this?

I've made my stance pretty clear in the past. This game may be a cure for all the world's terminal illnesses and the first steps to crafting a new enlightened utopian society but if I can't play as an Elite in multiplayer (even in custom games) then it doesn't matter and I will still condemn it with a fiery vengeance.

All these new features being added means nothing to me if you take away the ONE thing that had always made Halo my favorite multiplayer game series.

Vrex360:
I've made my stance pretty clear in the past. This game may be a cure for all the world's terminal illnesses and the first steps to crafting a new enlightened utopian society but if I can't play as an Elite in multiplayer (even in custom games) then it doesn't matter and I will still condemn it with a fiery vengeance.

All these new features being added means nothing to me if you take away the ONE thing that had always made Halo my favorite multiplayer game series.

Idk if it's legit but this I found on the 343i community forums:

http://postimage.org/image/5keldgd6n/

Korten12:

Vrex360:

Idk if it's legit but this I found on the 343i community forums:

http://postimage.org/image/5keldgd6n/

I think that's been proven to be false. Not sure.

All I'd need would be for 343 to just say 'HEY, YOU CAN STILL BE AN ELITE IN CUSTOM GAMES' and then I would be able to rest more comfortably. But apparently even that is asking too much.

would be nice if it will come out for pc, but i guess i can dream about it. part 3 never made it to this platform. really stupid when they bring out the first 2 but leave us pc gamers in the dark with part 3.

The way the lady said innovative really bothered me.

As good as this looks, my gaming budget for this semester is for one game only and that game is going to be Borderlands 2.

I might pick this up later though.

Xpwn3ntial:

Dansen:

Here.

WOW.... I just love how excited he was because of the different skins... He sounded like a typical "Dude bro" gamer.

OT: I was never interested in Halo and guess what, I'm still not interested.

The video reminded me of the metroid prime series (great series by the way!).
The visible visor, changing to other spectrums (heat, x-ray) and even the forerunner enemies looked like the space pirates.

Hmm, this is definitely a Halo I will be picking up. I've always been a sucker for Halo's story, yeah it's more summer blockbuster level than Oscar material, but you know, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, and Halo has at least told a consistent story.

And I'll always be a die-hard for single player games, but the multiplayer modes in this actually look pretty cool, switching to a Call of Duty, 'loadout' system over the traditional 'gun spawns' is something I'm not entirely a fan of, but I think, in a game with guns as varied as Halo's, it'll do alright.

And the Infinity mode seems to be copying CoD's Spec Ops feature, but adding a story basis to it. as Spec Ops was the only multiplayer I bothered with in CoD besides a couple of deathmatches, I approve of that.

The "most iconic space marine" is the one from DOOM, not the one from Halo.

Weapon loadouts weren't a new thing before Modern Warfare 1 the last time I checked. What's the problem here? Besides, it seems practical a soldier would choose the weapons most suited for a mission.

Then again, one team picking rocket launchers at the start of a match would seem a little unfair.

dessertmonkeyjk:
Weapon loadouts weren't a new thing before Modern Warfare 1 the last time I checked. What's the problem here? Besides, it seems practical a soldier would choose the weapons most suited for a mission.

Then again, one team picking rocket launchers at the start of a match would seem a little unfair.

Indeed, weapon loadouts are not something recent however the general consensus seems to be that it doesn't fit in with a game whose primary multiplayer attribute has been its style of "weapons on map" gameplay. As opposed to games like CoD where you bring your own gun to the fight and stick with it for most of the game, Halo is all about an even start then a mad dash for weapons that will give you a tactical edge.

Also i don't think you can pick rocket launchers, but i agree, overpowered!

Woem:
The "most iconic space marine" is the one from DOOM, not the one from Halo.

Depends on the age of the person being asked what comes to mind when you say space marine. To me, i think the most iconic space marine is the space marine, from warhammer 40k (kind of coined the term?) But if you asked me to limit my choices to gaming, i'd say the chief.

Keep in mind that modern day console gaming has a lot to owe to the original halo, in that it introduced so many to console video games. I think it might be a fact that more people will have played halo than doom? But feel free to correct me if it is not a solid fact.

That they needed to do a side-by-side to show the difference, says a lot.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here