Escapist Podcast: 060: Escapist Expo and Multiplayer in Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

060: Escapist Expo and Multiplayer in Games

This week, we discuss what excites us the most about the Escapist Expo and EA's new stance on including multiplayer in games.

Watch Video

please, for the love of god, tell me that you are filming the panel of love. There is no way I would be able to go to the expo but I really need to see that

DrRockor:
please, for the love of god, tell me that you are filming the panel of love. There is no way I would be able to go to the expo but I really need to see that

Oh, trust me. We will. :)

Susan Arendt:

DrRockor:

Thank You! That event is guaranteed to have priceless content!

I'm glad that even though I can't make it to the expo, I'll still be able experience parts of it.

Thanks for all the hard work you and the rest of the staff are putting into the expo.

EDIT:

Wait what? Steve's leaving?

*searching*

He left!?

... I miss Steve...

I hope he can still enjoy the expo now.

Man I wish I could be there. But I have anxiety issues with crowds so conventions are a no go.

Looking at the list I see no game discussion (not the happy kind) between some of the more "game idea" guys (Like Yahtzee, Jim, and Bob. Though those 3 do seem to share many other panels). Or am I missing something. I just think it would be interesting to hear there opinions on game related topics.

Susan Arendt:

DrRockor:

Hurray! :D That has just rounded out my birthday perfectly

Janelle, there was a recent case that afforded more protection for e-mail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Warshak

Obviously this doesn't apply to your comments on workplace e-mail, but in case you weren't aware, I thought I would bring up the case.

:D You all are so awesome it scares me.

I hope you all get to enjoy the Expo. :( I can't, but you all definitely deserve to.
So try and have some fun for me when you Arendt working on making the Expo stay so awesome! ;p

(I do that right Susan?)

Id recognise Janelle, and Im not an industry person!

She doesnt know me, but I know her as the person who sent me prizes. <3

I really, really wish I had the time and money to travel all the way to NC. Although I'll probably be on the east coast next year, so I'll try as hard as I can to make it for Expo 2.

Also, even if MoS isn't with the site anymore for some reason next year, you need to have him to play again, because I refuse to die without hearing him live.

Sorry I've just finished that game and it was awesome, so I get very easily reminded of it, though the ending was odd, I think there is another ending, now I shall look for how to get it!

Also sad to hear Steve left, didn't catch that last Tuesday, I hope he does well in whatever he's up to now.

UNHchabo:
Janelle, there was a recent case that afforded more protection for e-mail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Warshak

Obviously this doesn't apply to your comments on workplace e-mail, but in case you weren't aware, I thought I would bring up the case.

Thank you so much for the citation!!! :D It is a great reminder and I readily admit to not being a full-time practicing attorney for over 3 years now. IP and Internet law is such a rapidly evolving field that I am not always as up to date as I would like to be... especially when randomly discussing it wit friends and co-workers during a podcast ;)

That said, you are 100% CORRECT in that Warshank is considered a landmark case in US law since it was the first time 4th amendment protection was afforded to e-mail communication. Unfortunately, the facts of the case were TERRIBLE and rarely included in any case summary or journalist pieces (/cry). As far as I understand it (please correct me), the government asked his email ISP in secret to prospectively preserve Warshank's emails, contrary to their normal data storage procedures, on their servers, without his knowledge and without probable cause so they could have something to seize in the future. This made the private company an acting agent of the government. Long story short, since the 4th requires both a reasonable expectation of privacy expected by the person and society's willingness to except these expectations as reasonable, these emails were deemed protected since his ISP was not supposed to store them on their servers... and thus all expectations reasonable. But in the end, the government was granted access to the emails anyway and his criminal conviction stood. This case is only a 6th circuit ruling and nothing like it (to my knowledge) has yet to be reviewed by the supreme court. And as of now, this case is only applicable to non-cloud storage based personal emails. And all emails going

TL;DR: Private emails with no cloud-based storage agreement that is archived without a user's knowledge affords a reasonable expectation of privacy in the 6th circuit against the government. Cloud-based stored emails / communication services with no encryption services may not. Ever wondered why GMail, Facebook and the like has recently started pushing for HTTPS only use? This. Afford users encrypted communication, raise their privacy expectation to reasonable, and they avoid a deluge of user data subpoena and warrantless surveillance that they actually have to respond to. Use non-private emails services, like those owned by your employer, and your expectation to privacy in not reasonable and they have every right to read and turn over your communications to the government at will. Boo! :P

So... Is Steve gone now? Or has he just moved to a different post?

Gah! Expo is on the second week of university, if it had been two weeks earlier, I would have been able to go... Oh well, maybe after I graduate.

PLEASE tell me that someone - anyone - is going to be filming the panels/events.
Especially for those that live 9607.51 miles away and have no means at all to go attend it.

It would be great if this was possible though.

DrRockor:

Susan Arendt: Oh, trust me. We will. :)

Crap! Jumped the gun! sorry.

Ironically enough, one of my main nicknames back in school was actually Skittles. As well, I went to school in Michigan. You know what that means, right? I AM HIM!

steve is gona? how did i miss that....hm sad....starting to look like the top spot on the escapist totem pole is a chopping block :(
lets hope susan lasts longer

This one was a particularly good one. I often play a game while listening. First, couldn't do tetris to save my life because it was so engaging, then I turned to a favorite mainstay that I enjoy to kill an hour: mega man 2 and I actually died a couple of times! That hasn't happened in years and I've listened to really heavy, really serious topics and engaged it on an intellectual level before.

Nope, you had me entertained enough that I was falling into lava and spike pits and making me just go "what are you doing? You've memorized the entire level design, you know you need to wait here for the platform to come around, what on earth are you thinking... oh right, podcast."

So, great job, great podcast.

Oh, and just thought you should know, listened to this straight after listening to the Republican keynotes and Democrat keynotes at their respective national conventions. It was nice to punctuate the serious business tone of all four speeches with something more relevant to me, the common gamer: griefing.

Susan, if you want to go deep sea fishing, I have friends that make lures.

everybody has astma hmm...

But who will quote the Simpsons now...

My favorite cooking show? Cookin' Cheap.

@s0osleepie: E. Krezd Fæn is really bad phonetics for 'a crazed fan'

I now realise that 'A. Kraz Yfan' would be better...or not trying the joke at all would be even better. :P

OT: When people use slang in group chats often enough that the developers or mods work out what it means, does that mean those words get black listed too?

@Susan Arendt: Congratulations on the promotion!

*sigh* The expo seriously sounds awesome and I wish I could go.
Hopefully next year I'll have the money to fly down there to stay for a weekend because it sounds incredibly fun.

I wish I could go. Alas, I am stuck in Connecticut.

I'd totally play in the SSFIV tournament even though I suck at it and even if there weren't arcade sticks to use there.

Great podcast guys&girls!

Like someone mentioned before,I really hope you will film some of the panels that you will make,especially the hour of love one.

As for attending,I don't live in the US so bad luck with that.

Other than that I wish everyone who will attend to have fun! :D

Caffiene:
Id recognize Janelle, and Im not an industry person!

She doesnt know me, but I know her as the person who sent me prizes. <3

Yay!!! Thanks ;)

Being able to give away prizes to our community is my FAVORITE and the BEST part of my job! I wish I could do it all day, every day <3<3

It has been almost a year since, but how did you like the Drizzt board game and books? I only played them once with family and would love to hear what you thought about about them :D

the more I hear about the Escapist Expo the more I think I should move near by as to be there every year!

wont be there this year but I am looking forward to what bits end up on this site.

s0osleepie:
Yay!!! Thanks ;)

Most welcome. :)

I cant remember if I mentioned it at the time (I planned to, but I get distracted), but since you love that part of the job so much its probably worth me telling the story anyway: I had a pretty rough year last year, with a relationship breakup, some family trouble, and a close friend having to move away. It was closing in on what looked to be a pretty sombre xmas... And out of the blue I got sent a bunch of geeky presents, that arrived at my door just days before xmas. Having something nice happen, and a bit of good luck for a change, pretty much made my month. It was more than just a nice prize.

Just wanted to share that to hopefully return some good vibes. You guys rock, imo. <3

It has been almost a year since, but how did you like the Drizzt board game and books? I only played them once with family and would love to hear what you thought about about them :D

To be honest I havent been able to get a lot of time to play the game myself - Ive played a few times and had good fun, it reminds me a bit of gathering around HeroQuest with my friends as a youngster. The figures themselves are awesome, even if I dont get to play the game - I keep looking for chances to co-opt them in for some proper RPGs (along with the D&D setting book, which has seen some good use too).

And the RA Salvatore book... I actually havent gotten around to yet. Its on my list, but as the second book in the series I had to order the first book to read first, and Ive got about 3000 pages of epic fantasy books left on my "to-read" pile fighting for attention (See?)

wait why is steve butts leaving??

Can Movie Bob or Yahzee come on one of these pod cast once in a while? also can you cut or at least lower the volume of the music? Both me and my friends listen with a earphone and we had to turn the volume down everytime the music plays.

I found my article on griefing by the way. It was called "Dood, It's Part of the Game".

Caffiene:
Ive got about 3000 pages of epic fantasy books left on my "to-read" pile fighting for attention (See?)

Hey dude, you totally should read Gathering Storm and Clash of Kings first. When is Sanderson supposed to finish the Robert Jordan books soon? Memory of Light comes out in January apparently and you still have to get through Towers of Midnight.

I'm actually rereading Clash of Kings now. It's been great watching the show alongside it, but the second season took a lot of liberties that I don't think are worth it. Have you heard our podcast on it? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/5938-Bonus-Game-of-Thrones-Cast-Season-2-Wrapup

Greg

Greg Tito:
Hey dude, you totally should read Gathering Storm and Clash of Kings first. When is Sanderson supposed to finish the Robert Jordan books soon? Memory of Light comes out in January apparently and you still have to get through Towers of Midnight.

Ive been reading the Malazan books (the Steven Erikson one on the pile) first, because I was even further behind in that series. The pile started off with 2 more of those that Ive already gotten through, and theres 2 more that I havent bought to add to the pile yet. And to be honest its probably my favourite of the 3 epic series (Erikson, Jordan and Martin) at the moment.

Ill get back to Wheel of Time soon, but I have a bit of a habit of rereading the whooooole series for each new book, which has been great but ended up burning me out on it for a while. I need to overturn that impulse, and remember all the stuff going on in the books.

And then on top of that theres a few other authors I want to try out as well (Patrick Rothfuss, Brandon Sanderson's non-WoT stuff, the second Lightbringer book from Brent Weeks, and more). Its a tough life being a reader...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here