The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

i really feel i have to point out this dlc is heavily aimed towards the role-player and
machinima creator not so much the average player because you're not going to get much game-play
from it

as for the pc version
you can download and create your own buildings with the steam workshop and the creation kit
respectively

personally i want these deep single-player games to succeed so i will buy all the dlc for them
even if it is the proverbial horse Armour
but i will never buy extra cars for racing games, skins hats or anything mental like extra gold

I heard they just did a smaller DLC to get out of their 30 day deal with Microsoft.

But yeah...this is really kind of well shallow.
I mean Dawnguard added lots of content...this just added three houses.

Eh its only five bucks so I dont care that much. If it was 20 there would be no way I would buy it.

tehweave:
This sounds like a two-way approach to appeal to the fanbase.

1. PC mods have been around for a while to do this exact same thing. This is just allowing PC modders to test a new ability to create houses, almost as if Bethesda is saying "here's a template for you guys made by us, go nuts!" I'm guessing this expansion will be modded like crap over the next few months. Gotta check back with the Steam workshop to see what they come up with.

2. This is allowing console users to get part of the PC experience, as mods like this are already available. This gives console users the ability to build their own home like the PC users can already do.

There seem to be bonuses to both sides, but it's nothing new if you own a PC version. I guess just an "official" house mod for Skyrim. Better for consoles, but a new realm for modders.

Honestly, I'd like to see what people do with this on Steam's workshop page for Skyrim.

This is how I feel as well. Although PC mods can do pretty much what this DLC does, it can only be done on the PC and thus console players are left out. At least they have something that pseudo-makes up for what PC users can create (minus the PS3 players because Bethesda can't get their coding right). As for PC players, this is just another way to expand upon the game and create more content that they may not have been able to before. Usually with each expansion pack or DLC the added content to the core gameplay is expanded upon and I'm sure modders will take advantage of it.

It may be disappointing but I'm sure there are other benefits that most don't see because they don't mod themselves.

I guess its useful for maxing out those last few stats and its fairly cheap... still... was so looking forward to building a fortress complete with dragon skull interior decorating... and wenchs... lots and lots of wenchs...

Honestly, I'd not fond of the whole "go out and find your own materials" aspect. I started building a house, but when I realized I was going to have to spend time at the forge making nails and locks and shit, my enthusiasm vanished. Honest, this almost seems like something better suited to people who AREN'T finished with the game, so they can acquire the materials as they go, rather then have their only real "quest" to be to fast travel to merchants looking for materials.

The Rogue Wolf:
This video reminded me of two things:

1. Bethesda's "little" DLC offerings tend to be disappointing

2. Khajiit and Argonian females' necks are almost revoltingly thin

Seriously, I keep expecting to hear a quiet snap and see their heads roll away.

Oh god, I thought I was the only one who ever thought that!

Minecraft has spoiled us. When we heard, "build your own home." we thought "What is all of the crazy stuff I've built in Minecraft? Can I do it in HD?"

Still looks like fun, but just have to remember it isn't minecraft...

Well since there already was a mod that let you build just about anything on pc, tho last i looked it caused crashes when built in certain areas, since you could build anywhere, believe it was wars in skyrim and the house mod did not like to play together, tho i have had issues with wars in skyrim causing ctds anyway if i just try to run through them for any amount of time seems to make the game crash in general.

Greg Tito:

kitsuta:
Hey Nasrin, congrats on (what I'm pretty sure is) your first editorial piece!

Considering how lauded Skyrim was, I'm a little surprised that both DLC packs - each of which cost 1/3rd of the game's price themselves - seem rather subpar. I have to wonder if the development team is feeling rushed for some reason.

Hey kitsuta! Good to hear from you!

I think Hearthfire is only 400 MP or five bucks compared to Dawnguard which was $20.

Greg

Ohai!

Pff, that'll learn me to assume both DLC packs cost the same. $5 makes a lot more sense for this, but it's still a bit odd that they'd have such shallow DLC for what was such a deep game.

That said, if they come out with a GOTY edition before I manage to get the game, I'll probably buy that version. Because I am a sucker, apparently.

Well it sounds like my worries about house customization turned out to be valid. Dissappointing but it's only a tiny DLC so no big lose.

I didn't expect this little addon to offer much in the way of customisation options really, being console DLC and all, but it's still a little disappointing to see there's not much scope to be creative in building a house here.

I'm more curious as to what that horse is the player is riding in the video. Never seen it's type before myself....

Can we please please stop with the "there's a mod for that". Maybe before you jump out and say "there's a mod for that" you should, I don't know, ACTUALLY CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS ONE. Look I love mods and mod the hell out of my games but I have searched extensively and as far as I can tell there is no such mod that does what Hearthfire does. IF there is one out there and I have missed it then please by all means point it out to me. I will very very happily eat crow and I swear to god if one more person who clearly hasn't played it posts the build your own house mod one more fucking time. I have that mod installed and judging by this review it offers less choices than Hearthfire does.

MarsProbe:
I didn't expect this little addon to offer much in the way of customisation options really, being console DLC and all, but it's still a little disappointing to see there's not much scope to be creative in building a house here.

I'm more curious as to what that horse is the player is riding in the video. Never seen it's type before myself....

It's Arvak, the skeletal horse you get as a quest reward in the Soul Cairn. It's part of the Dawnguard DLC. Steve and Paul's review on Dawnguard talks about it a bit :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9783-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Dawnguard-Review

Musicfreak:
Can we please please stop with the "there's a mod for that". Maybe before you jump out and say "there's a mod for that" you should, I don't know, ACTUALLY CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS ONE. Look I love mods and mod the hell out of my games but I have searched extensively and as far as I can tell there is no such mod that does what Hearthfire does. IF there is one out there and I have missed it then please by all means point it out to me. I will very very happily eat crow and I swear to god if one more person who clearly hasn't played it posts the build your own house mod one more fucking time. I have that mod installed and judging by this review it offers less choices than Hearthfire does.

On the first page of this thread someone posted a video of what you can do in that mod. I don't know how extensively you searched because it's not difficult to find.

O.T: too bad, I was really hoping it would be more. Even though I like Skyrim on the Xbox I miss all the mods I had on Morrowind (I really have to upgrade my pc ! ). I still think we should support Bethesda though. At least they're trying.

Aerosteam 1908:
Hurry up with that Shivering Isles-style expansion packs like you promised, Bethesda!

I really want to know where people get this from, Todd Howard himself said that the DLC would NOT be SI size, but more Point Lookout size, with smaller DLC, like Hearthfire, to break up the time between big DLC releases.

Shouldn't the score have been 2/5 if you were only lukewarm on it? The ratings lately have all been a bit high, with many 4s and 4 and a halves. Since 2/5 is described as die-hard fans of the series being able to get something out of it, I feel like you should have just settled with 2/5.

sounds boring and not worth the money. Still better than horse armor, i guess...

And the final piece of furniture.....CHILDREN!

I mean, it wasn't astounding, but it was 5$, what were you expecting? You got some new houses, and a neat adoption system.

Sounds dissapointing indeed.
And Nasrin? I must say both your voice and pronounciation are...perhaps the most clear i've heard on this site.
For reviews that is.
I'd love to hear you more,not that the other 'reviewers' are bad, they just have a funny way of pronounciating things that makes it hard to understand them sometimes, but i had no issues with you.

personion:
Shouldn't the score have been 2/5 if you were only lukewarm on it? The ratings lately have all been a bit high, with many 4s and 4 and a halves. Since 2/5 is described as die-hard fans of the series being able to get something out of it, I feel like you should have just settled with 2/5.

If they were charging 20 dollars for it I'd probably have felt that way, too.

Itsthefuzz:
If they wanted to make DLC that is, at least for PC users, almost null because mods are available to do the same job... you think they would have made it a bit more worth while.

Except that the xbox is really their target platform, the other platforms are just port jobs.

Nasrin:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Review

Not as personalized as you might think.

Read Full Article

I'm disappointed to hear this... but very glad to hear it before purchase.

The ability to do things in a game is important, but it never quite reaches its potential unless that ability comes with a reason. This is even more true with non-combat content, which has gotten increasingly marginalized as game generations roll on.

The 'last great housing frontier' for me was Star Wars Galaxies. You could make practically anything, store and show it however you wanted, and the in-house vendor system made sure there was a reason for it all -- if people bought your goods, they traveled to your house to get them.

Since then, most games have either thrown away housing, removed any sort of customization freedom, and/or eliminated any reason for people to visit the houses of others. Houses are glorified storage hubs. It's a shame, really. Non-combat content can add so much depth to a game -- especially one that seems to be about exploring and inhabiting a world (as is the case with Skyrim).

That all said, congratulations on your first review!

Better than i feard worse than id hoped im stuck with only 3 rooms thats retarded i shouldnt be denyed a kitchen because i want an armoury and i wanted a huge dragon skull on the front and a word wall where Paarthunax could sit and visit and a magical tower where i could craft my own spells bring back spell crafting bethesda

Is that what the lighting looks like on the Xbox 360? HAAAH.

Anyway, once this baby hits PC, we'll see an armada of mods that'll feature new build locations, children "developing", additions, more rooms.

M'yes, it will be a good day.

I think its funny how everyone has only bad things to say about oblivion and yet when they talk about great xpacs from any game the 2 that come up are broodwars and shivering isles. By this point selling any DLC for skyrims basically a crap shoot anyways what with the mod community.

Captcha: kitty kat, :looks up: Hi frieza

I'm not surprised at how restrictive it is.

If you wanted to build a house anywhere with anything then there's Minecraft. You can also do Multiplayer Minecraft and show off!

*goes back to playing Sims2 with Sims that have Viking hats*

The cost is actually ridiculously low. I have like 300'000 gold pieces stashed in a chest somewhere and another 200'000 on me. I quite honestly sold 99% of the crap I found and the rest of the time I made potions instead of buying them so I never needed to buy anything except a leather strap once in a while when upgrading my armour.

So yeah. Another pointless DLC pack that has been done several times better by mods.

I don't see why I shouldn't wait for these to go on sale for 1$.

Is it really pathetic that I am just going to get Hearthfire to get 100% of the achievements?
Literally I never have done it before so I do my best to do it in Skyrim.

Last game I did that in was the first Spyro the dragon.
The...taunting of some enemies still haunts my dreams man...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but someone made a mod on the Steam Workshop that allows you to build a house with huge amounts of customization, similar to The Sims.

And you console players have to pay for a less comprehensive version, *smugface*

AT God:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but someone made a mod on the Steam Workshop that allows you to build a house with huge amounts of customization, similar to The Sims.

And you console players have to pay for a less comprehensive version, *smugface*

Don't suppose you have the name of the mod?

Would like that.

Alternatively, I'll wait and buy the DLC, then Download mods that use it to expand the concept.

tmande2nd:
Is it really pathetic that I am just going to get Hearthfire to get 100% of the achievements?
Literally I never have done it before so I do my best to do it in Skyrim.

Last game I did that in was the first Spyro the dragon.
The...taunting of some enemies still haunts my dreams man...

No, it's not. I'm doing the EXACT same thing right now. Since i completed all the pre-DLC content by level 49 it has been very boring for me to level. The past 20 have involved a lot of purchasing lesser skills and summoning endless frost atronachs. Since you have to be between 70 and 78 for the legendary dragons to begin spawning, and this is the last thing I have yet to get, I've been pretty single minded about the whole process.

It did bother me that leveling up vampire and werewolf didn't contribute to overall level progress, too.

Gotta finish before Borderlands 2 comes out!!

- Nas

Why doesn't Bethesda simply deliver an expansion that doesn't have to compete with modders at all, a.k.a. diving into the canon and lore. A lot of people thought Skyrim was an improvement over Oblivion setting-wise but still felt too "steroetypically vikingy" to compete with Morrowind which was an island full of strange creatures - and as a result, really fun to explore and get lost in.

Heck, they could even use this opportunity to lead over to the inevitable TESVI if they're so inclined. They already got the plot for that one seeing how nearly all Towers that uphold reality are fubar.

l3o2828:
And Nasrin? I must say both your voice and pronounciation are...perhaps the most clear i've heard on this site.
For reviews that is.
I'd love to hear you more,not that the other 'reviewers' are bad, they just have a funny way of pronounciating things that makes it hard to understand them sometimes, but i had no issues with you.

Can you provide an example of something I "pronounciate" wrong? I do have an accent, just curious what you have trouble understanding.

Susan Arendt:

l3o2828:
For reviews that is.

Can you provide an example of something I "pronounciate" wrong? I do have an accent, just curious what you have trouble understanding.

Not you, Susan Arendt.
It's mostly the males that i have to be very attentive to if i want to understand them.
And yes, they DO have accents that i find hard to comprehend.
I don't want to sound whiny or anything...but it's just probably me who has this issues.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here