Jimquisition: Anita Sarkeesian - The Monster Gamers Created

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 21 NEXT

Tippy:
snip

So your argument is that because the majority of devs are male, women have no right to say anything? Sorry but that means no male reviewer ever is allowed to say anything about Portal ;)

Gaming does not magically belong to men... and NO I'm not unique and frankly I get sick of male gamers who are like 17 telling me that I have no right to talk about a hobby I have been a part of for 26 years. How about you get the fuck out of my tree house.

Hypoagency doesn't exist period ITS NOT EVEN A WORD, IT ISN'T EVEN IN THE DICTIONARY. So the woman in that video is talking shit and is just spreading misogynistic propaganda. I'm not even going to give her rubbish any hits.

You know what the very fact you are separating gamers out into male and female and making out like their sex is some sort of measurement of competence and how much they are allowed to criticise games is profoundly sexist. You do realise that right?

Would you sit here and say white people have run Hollywood for years black actors have no right to say anything about getting passed over for roles or to complain at all?.

I'm surprised you like MLP you would probably have them all chained to the kitchen sink.

Here is a page from Gamasutra listing the top 20 women in games development, enjoy.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131993/women_in_games_the_gamasutra_20.php

including

Alyssa Finley may have sealed her reputation by producing 2K's 2007 hit BioShock, but in her extensive career in the games industry she has actually shipped titles with almost every major publisher.

:p

Finally, how about you stop telling women not to have an opinion.

Wow Jim, you make Anita out to be Queen Troll. She has literally flamed the trolls and used their rage to launch her career and surfed to victory on it. I think there is a lesson in this for all of us.

For my part I have learned to be a misogynist by making the studied effort of judging women by the content of their character and their output. I don't think women make a valid contribution to gaming, at least they haven't much yet, and for the most part I find their opinions to be lightweight, counterproductive and snore-worthy. This is not the same as wanting to silence women however; robust debate is the very engine of improvement, and women may yet have something valid to say instead of their usual insipid whiny tripe. I live in hope, but without holding my breath in anticipation.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Tippy:
snip

So your argument is that because the majority of devs are male, women have no right to say anything? Sorry but that means no male reviewer ever is allowed to say anything about Portal ;)

Gaming does not magically belong to men... and NO I'm not unique and frankly I get sick of male gamers who are like 17 telling me that I have no right to talk about a hobby I have been a part of for 26 years. How about you get the fuck out of my tree house.

Hypoagency doesn't exist period ITS NOT EVEN A WORD, IT ISN'T EVEN IN THE DICTIONARY. So the woman in that video is talking shit and is just spreading misogynistic propaganda. I'm not even going to give her rubbish any hits.

You know what the very fact you are separating gamers out into male and female and making out like their sex is some sort of measurement of competence and how much they are allowed to criticise games is profoundly sexist. You do realise that right?

Would you sit here and say white people have run Hollywood for years black actors have no right to say anything about getting passed over for roles or to complain at all?.

I'm surprised you like MLP you would probably have them all chained to the kitchen sink.

Here is a page from Gamasutra listing the top 20 women in games development, enjoy.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131993/women_in_games_the_gamasutra_20.php

including

Alyssa Finley may have sealed her reputation by producing 2K's 2007 hit BioShock, but in her extensive career in the games industry she has actually shipped titles with almost every major publisher.

:p

Finally, how about you stop telling women not to have an opinion.

I never told anyone to stop criticising and not have an opinion o_O where did you read that?
I also never said women were incapable of making games. I said they are a minority. Evertime I say this people start rambling on about how they're a female gamer, or rambling on about how they know a bunch of women in the industry. The concept of "majority" and "minority" must be really difficult to grasp.

Anyway, criticise away and tell the world your opinions (for all the good it has done so far, i.e. nothing).

Also bringing up black actors is moot because feamle hypoagency isn't a racial thing, it's a gender thing.

You should really watch the whole video lol. I make sure to read and watch everything from the beginning through to the end, no matter how much I disagree with it, to ensure I fully understand their viewpoint. Only then do I formulate an argument.
So far you haven't brought up anything that particularly disagrees with anything in that video (lets have some specifics!).

Tippy:
snip

Well if you don't think they aren't allowed to have an opinion and criticise games then why are you supporting this bullshit notion of 'hypoagency'

Because that's what it is, saying women have no right to an opinion because, in your view, it's a male space (which it isn't). That women aren't allowed to criticise what (you think) they aren't involved in. It's sexist at best and fascist at worst.

Your post that I quoted here just denied everything you have said so far. Including that women are already involved in games development and have been for a long time.

Why don't you stop back-pedalling and admit that this whole idea is a load of sexist crap. Oh and racism is the same as sexism btw it's judging someone for how they are born and it hurts just as much.

(and no I'm not giving that sexist bullshit any hits)

Yeah, obvious. Can't really tell all the morons to stop.
I just want the videos to come out so I can form some opinions on them.
Actually, I'm hoping they'll have some worth and not just be a shitty copy of the other videos she's made. Also, I want to hear real ways to stop it, because lots of it isn't even the consumer or developer's fault. It's the fucking publisher.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Tippy:
snip

Well if you don't think they aren't allowed to have an opinion and criticise games then why are you supporting this bullshit notion of 'hypoagency'

Because that's what it is, saying women have no right to an opinion because, in your view, it's a solely male space (which it isn't).

Your post that I quoted here just denied everything you have said so far. Including that women are already involved in games development and have been for a long time.

Why don't you stop back-pedalling and admit that this whole idea is a load of sexist crap. Oh and racism is the same as sexism btw it's judging someone for how they are born and it hurts just as much.

(and no I'm not giving that bullshit any hits)

Nowhere does that video say that Hypoagency = saying women have no right to an opinion. It's the complete opposite.
You're sounding stupider and stupider talking about a theory that you don't even vaguely understand, you're trying to give your opinion on a video you refuse to watch, you're judging a woman you haven't even listened to. It's like a toddler who refuses to eat a dish that they have never eaten before, insisting that it will taste bad...and when they finally take a bite they love it.
Lol, feminists.
That lady is pretty much bang-on when it comes to predicting your reaction to all this, it's funny :)

Tippy:
snip

Stop backpeddeling becuase you realise you don't have a leg to stand on. The idea of Hypoagency (which again isn't even a word) is exactly what I said it is. A facist and sexist agenda to stop women having an opinion and rights by enforcing that something is a male only space.

If you don't realise that then I feel sorry for you. As for predicting my reaction well yeah I'm sure she would predict that a sound minded person would be offended by her bullshit.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Tippy:
snip

Stop backpeddeling becuase you realise you don't have a leg to stand on. The idea of Hypoagency (which again isn't even a word) is exactly what I said it is. A facist and sexist agenda to stop women having an opinion and rights by enforcing that something is a male only space.

If you don't realise that then I feel sorry for you. As for predicting my reaction well yeah I'm sure she would predict that a sound minded person would be offended by her bullshit.

That's...still not what Hypoagency is, gratz on still not watching the video and continuing to insist you know the meaning better (you're completely wrong BTW) than the woman who's talking about the subject. It's almost comical because you're claiming to know the meaning of a word that you yourself said doesn't exist (lol?).

Watch the whole thing and you might realize that she's actually on your side, and not just because she's a woman. All the ideas described in that video can only help improve your stance, but you continue to refuse a free helping of cake while calling it poison (it's really cake).

edit: for those who have no clue what we're going on about, here it is again:

Tippy:
It's almost comical because you're claiming to know the meaning of a word that you yourself said doesn't exist (lol?).

Well it's kind of hard to argue a point when you are trying to debate with someone who believes in non existent words. That's what the misogynist idea of hypoagency is at least that's what a reasonable, logical person sees it as, still doesn't mean it's a valid theory.

Women have as much right to influence games as men, to suggest otherwise is sexism pure and simple. Games do not belong to the male sex any more than books do.

To other escapids...please don't click on that vid we don't need to give sexist extremists any more publicity.

Revolutionaryloser:

Therumancer:
-snip-

Has anybody ever threatened to rape you on the Internet?

Welcome to the HoN or generally MOBA-communities (the main difference to LoL is that that doesn't have VoIP and you have to rely to chat for all the insults) :P

I also don't know if I can remember how many times someone wanted to rape my entire family in games like CS:S or similar. The difference to feminists is that other people have a sense of humour and don't take everything personally.
Whereby as I said previously she likely did it for the marketing effect mostly and not because she believes YouTube comments are threats on her life, all the other videos had closed comments after all.

Dexter111:
snip

And yet she didn't even have to try, the misogynists rolled up just the same.

One would think there is actually a problem with sexism in gaming :O. Hell, her ideas aren't even that offensive. If she was saying ALL GAMERS ARE SEXIST ERMERGERHD then I'd totally get the reaction, I'd even agree that she was wrong but suggesting that Princess Peach is a helpless damsel...apparently worthy of rape threats.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Tippy:
It's almost comical because you're claiming to know the meaning of a word that you yourself said doesn't exist (lol?).

Well it's kind of hard to argue a point when you are trying to debate with someone who believes in non existent words. That's what the misogynist idea of hypoagency is at least that's what a reasonable, logical person sees it as, still doesn't mean it's a valid theory.

Women have as much right to influence games as men, to suggest otherwise is sexism pure and simple. Games do not belong to the male sex any more than books do.

To other escapids...please don't click on that vid we don't need to give sexist extremists any more publicity.

Hypoagency never saidi that women don't have a right to an opinion (that is sexist). Hypoagency is not sexist, it exists to explain female behaviour. I'd love to hear a quote from that lady indicating that she believes women have no right to an opinion, I'd really love to see that quote.
Until then you're just getting worse and worse on your definition of hypoagency.

> Women have as much right to influence games as men - 100% correct, I agree.
> Women HAVE influenced games just as much much as men - bullshit, enough data to prove it.
> Women CAN influence games as much as men - 100% correct.
> Women CHOOSE NOT to influence games as much as men - 100% correct.

Tippy:
SNIP

*pinches nose*

So...you are mad at the fact that we are trying to influence games but AT THE SAME TIME accuse us of not influencing games and the result of that is....*drumroll*... we don't have a right to influence games. :|

Did I slip into the purple banana upside down dimension again?

You realise this argument makes little sense right, since this whole thing, this WHOLE DEBATE. Is women wanting more influence in how our female counterparts are portrayed.

The outcome of that is that you don't want us to have or express an opinion. However you paint it.

Considering that video is entitled 'the TYRANNY of hypoagency' I doubt it's positive, accurate or rational spin on female behaviour...

''> Women CAN influence games as much as men - 100% correct.'' Then why do you have such a problem with us trying to influence games, holy shit...

Moonlight Butterfly:

And yet she didn't even have to try, the misogynists rolled up just the same.

One would think there is actually a problem with sexism in gaming :O. Hell, her ideas aren't even that offensive. If she was saying ALL GAMERS ARE SEXIST ERMERGERHD then I'd totally get the reaction, I'd even agree that she was wrong but suggesting that Princess Peach is a helpless damsel...apparently worthy of rape threats.

I'd rather believe that there is a problem with feminist extremists, after all... according to her apparently:

Movie fans/producers are sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLF6sAAMb4s
Toys and toy producers are sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZn_lJoN6PI
Newspapers are sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uviJRuGTg0&list=PLDBFEA8C145CAFAD4
BitTorrent and Filesharing is sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL0aGv45vGM
Christmas Songs are sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpDnr2s9yxQ
Cartoons and TV shows are sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJxqRLg9x0
Sci-Fi shows like Star Trek/BattleStar are sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rhH_QGXtgQ
Comics are sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DInYaHVSLr8
LEGO is sexist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrmRxGLn0Bk

(notice that she closed the comments or deleted all the "bad" ones e.g. not agreeing with her in all of those even though the video ratings say otherwise - where she didn't disable that too, yet she didn't do the same in the one related to the "video games" cause she could use it in her campaign)

So which do I listen to, an extremist nutcase like her trying to claim that everything and everyone is against her and just about everything everyone grew up with is wrong and bad because she heard it in womens studies or society as a whole and other people (like the woman posted above) having points that actually make sense to people outside of feminist circles?

Dexter111:
snip

but but...Princess Peach IS a damsel in distress. :/

And those videos are judging whether parts of those things have sexist connotations, that's her area, feminism. She looks at things pretty fairly actually (even though I don't agree with her 100% of the time) and even recommends films that FAIL her test.

Hardly the act of an extremist.

Yeah they are about as real as monsters under the bed...

If anything this is all just bullying someone who dares to point out that MAYBE there is some way we can improve female characters. What a bitch huh.

I guess I really don't understand the massive defensive kneejerk reaction.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Tippy:
SNIP

*pinches nose*

So...you are mad at the fact that we are trying to influence games but AT THE SAME TIME accuse us of not influencing games and the result of that is....*drumroll*... we don't have a right to influence games. :|

Did I slip into the purple banana upside down dimension again?

You realise this argument makes little sense right, since this whole thing, this WHOLE DEBATE. Is women wanting more influence in how our female counterparts are portrayed.

The outcome of that is that you don't want us to have or express an opinion. However you paint it.

Considering that video is entitled 'the TYRANNY of hypoagency' I doubt it's positive, accurate or rational spin on female behaviour...

''> Women CAN influence games as much as men - 100% correct.'' Then why do you have such a problem with us trying to influence games, holy shit...

I'll admit initially I did have an issue with feminists trying to influence games.

But after I learned about female hypoagency, it suddenly became extremely clear.

Now I no longer have a problem with it, because I know what's going on deep down.
Everything suddenly started making sense after I watched that video, I saw the whole issue under a new light - I saw the fact sexism doesn't exist in video gaming and never has.

Feminists like Anita Sarkeesian have pointed out certain tropes/trends in gaming, but absolutely nowhere have they pointed out where developers were doing this out of a genuine hatred for women, nowhere have they thrown the point that certain game developers are misogynistic, nor can they prove any of this.

You are essentially raving about an issue that doesn't even exist.

Good work on judging a book by it's cover, judging a video by it's title, judging a woman before you've even heard her, judging a video before you've even seen it. I'm willing to read and watch everything you (and others) have provided so far, I'm willing to analyze and show my views on it - yet when I do the same you turn into a toddler who has clamps their hands on their ears and refuses to hear anything back.
How can the discussion continue if you do this?

Tippy:
snip

Just because something isn't intentional doesn't mean it isn't sexist. :/ I'm pretty sure sexism does exist in games through both the tropes female characters seems to be stuck in and the behaviour of some men online. That doesn't mean devs are sitting somewhere rubbing their hands together plotting evilly.

The thing is neither of those things is saying 'games are bad' it's just opening up the possibility that maybe female characters can be done better than they are now. That's constructive criticism not this ridiculous non existent 'hypoagency'.

The idea that women complain for no good reason and that we are all at the whims of our ovaries is pretty offensive and archaic. I refuse to entertain this notion, it is sexist and irrational.

i had a double-take moment when you said it took 40 min. to uninstall resistance 3. That is ridiculous, thats like taking a dump in a public restroom and the only way you can get toilet paper is by waiting for a little dispenser to roll out toilet paper and its going slower than a turtle taking a s**t in a shoebox

we all know anita will be forgotten by the internet in another year or so. she will make bunch of videos. she'll try to be as incendiary as possible, people will make rape threats, she will bask in the rape threat glory for a while and then the internet will move on to the next thing. And antita will be forgotten. She'll probably get a real job and have kids or what ever. life will move on.

mjc0961:

Azuaron:
feminism: A social theory or political movement supporting the equality of both sexes in all aspects of public and private life; specifically, a theory or movement that argues that legal and social restrictions on females must be removed in order to bring about such equality.

Wrong. Sometimes what words mean changes. This is one of those times. The only kinds of "feminists" left these days (only people who still refer to themselves as feminists, anyway) are ones that want women to be superior and fuck men. They don't want equality. Feminism now effectively means wanting women to be superior. And I say fuck it, let them have that word, because that's what it sounds like it should mean anyway. We can come up with a new term for people who want equality (which is plenty of men and women). I vote for "rational, intelligent people." Let feminists mean crazy nutjob who wants women to be considered superior to men. Just let them have it! Stop arguing about what to call them and start arguing about something important.

um...false. i consider myself a feminist and i dont want women to be superior. i have plenty of friends who consider themselves feminists who also want gender equality and dont want female superiority. you seem to be making a generalization based off people you have met or people you have found to be the most vocal. if i were to go by the vocal majority, then i could conclude that all gamers are immature, racist, and sexist assholes. but thats not true and it would be extremely ignorant to assume that the views of an entire group are determined by those who talk the loudest

Dexter111:
-snip-

I've already made my feelings clear in many other posts on this same thread. There is nothing to be proud about by taking abuse silently. Serious threats are a crime and should be looked upon as such. Your complacency is shameful. Do not fool yourself, you are nothing but a coward who hasn't got the guts to stand up for himself.

In this society, hate speech and violence will never be accepted and will always be punished. Anybody who condones it shall likewise be punished.

Revolutionaryloser:

Therumancer:
-snip-

You are wrong. Freedom of speech carries with it responsibility. You may express yourself as long as you do not infringe the constitutional rights of others. Anita Sarkeesian was simply expressing her views, an act encouraged for healthy political discourse.

No she didn't. She specifically blocks any one not singing her praises. Thats no healthy discourse, thats creating an echo chamber of your own opinion. Thats the exact opposite of civil discourse.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Dude, there are a whole heap of words that aren't in the dictionary, after all english is a constantly growing language & dictionaries rarely include specialised text fields. Heck pick up a dictionary from the first few years when the word "app" came into existance: You won't find it in the dictionary from that time period, but i can assure you people were spending a considerable amount of money on a thing, that i can only assume actually existed.

Heck Misandry wasn't a word recognised in dictionaries until recently, and the word clitoris was removed from even Greys Anatomy for a few editions there. Hypergamy wasn't added to the english language until really recently as well, but i can assure you the paradigm is actually one of the oldest (potentially predating even organised civilisation).

Be assured that hypoagency does indeed refer to a real paradigm. In fact its just a nice simple way of defining something psychologists have been talking about for decades, when they discus type b personality disorders, like histrionic personality disorder & surrender wife syndrome (sometimes called feminine self infantalisation syndrome).

Hypoagency is the continued pretense in western society (by both men & women) that women possess no social agency of there own.

Heck you want to see the paradigm in action, just jump across to the recent minecraft page & take a look at how many people there try to shift the blame of female inaction on to every one else.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Yeah they are about as real as monsters under the bed...

Sure they don't, you might as well argue that there ain't any extremist religious people or other ideologies with rather worrying beliefs and they're all just fluffy and nice...

Revolutionaryloser:

Dexter111:
-snip-

I've already made my feelings clear in many other posts on this same thread. There is nothing to be proud about by taking abuse silently. Serious threats are a crime and should be looked upon as such. Your complacency is shameful. Do not fool yourself, you are nothing but a coward who hasn't got the guts to stand up for himself.

In this society, hate speech and violence will never be accepted and will always be punished. Anybody who condones it shall likewise be punished.

Yeah, I'd rather like to view it as not getting my butt cheeks clenched together every single time someone participates in shit-talk while having fun, it's part of the culture in some games and can often even get quite amusing... for instance every time I watch that HoN-video I have to laugh a lot.

I'm also not of the belief that everything someone says on the Internet who doesn't know me or who I am or rather anything about me will always be "serious" in whatever he is going to say and I don't view anything said over a game as a "threat", but whatever go on getting upset and outraged about every little thing and have fun in life :P

Regarding the "crime" thing, at least the Tasmanian police doesn't think so xD
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120716/03420319708/police-tasmania-explain-to-public-that-someone-saying-something-mean-online-is-not-illegal.shtml

"If the conduct complained of would not amount to an offence if it occurred off-line, then it is not an offence simply because in a particular instance it was undertaken with the aid of digital technology," the department noted.

"For example, complaints have been received about comments posted on Facebook which are abusive or harassing. If this behavior occurred in a public place it would not be a reportable offence.

"It is not the role of Tasmania Police to censor internet content."

Moonlight Butterfly:

The rape threats are disgusting, but peoples issue is not her saying that Princess Peach is a damsel in distress, it's her saying that it is sexist, and shouldn't happen that people object to.

Obviously it doesn't condone the twisted behaviour towards her, but you are implying that people are reacting to something that is fact, as opposed to something that is her own subjective opinion.

Legion:

Obviously it doesn't condone the twisted behaviour towards her, but you are implying that people are reacting to something that is fact, as opposed to something that is her own subjective opinion.

And how does it make even one iota of difference whether she's stating facts or opinions?

matthew_lane:
-snip-

She was acting within her constitutional rights. Attempting to interfere with that is a crime.

Dexter111:
-snip-

The laws delimit clearly what constitutes a threat. A death threat is an especially serious crime. Finding comedy in verbal violence against innocent people is uncivilized, vile and constitutes an omission of civic responsibilities. It is an act enjoyed by uneducated brutes. It is pathetic. There is no honor in wallowing in your own ignorance and apathy.

Those who do not respect the rights of others are nothing but criminal scum.

Legion:

Moonlight Butterfly:

The rape threats are disgusting, but peoples issue is not her saying that Princess Peach is a damsel in distress, it's her saying that it is sexist, and shouldn't happen that people object to.

I guess I just don't get why people are so mad at her. Even if they don't agree with her.

What she isn't saying is.

-All games are sexist
-All gamers are sexist
-All video game devs are sexist (I don't think even she sees it as malicious intent)
-Games should be banned/ restricted somehow becuase of possible sexism in how women are portrayed.

What she IS saying is

-Female characters in video games are, in the majority, a bit pants. Let's have a look at why that is.

and possibly

-Let look at how we can improve that.

Why is that bad thing? When I watch her say that Mario and Zelda two of my all time fave franchises maybe portray women a little innacurately. I don't feel angry, I say yeah, fair enough Peach is a damsel in distress and Zelda, even though she seems to push at the edges of her role (and yay for that) as helpless princess, she still seems somewhat restricted in her actions in the games (especially for someone who holds the triforce of wisdom).
The idea that maybe those portrayals of women are a bit crap doesn't offend me or anger me and yet I am a big Zelda fan.

Are these portrayals sexist? Okay that one needs looking at further but I still don't think that's the meat of her argument.

We all know characterisation of BOTH men and women are crap in games so why does someone saying 'Right lets have a look at this from an ostensibly feminist point of view' anger people so much?

People compare her to Jack Thompson and yet she seems like someone who not only enjoys games but wants to see them improved NOT penalised. I mean is the mere suggestion that the portrayal of Princess Peach as a helpless damsel is, okay, a bit outdated worthy of such sheer anger and defensive bile?

It's not any different than Yahtzee sitting down and writing a column on how some co op in games is a bit crap or this is how they could do humour better in Adventure Games. (Which is mostly his own opinion right?)

The medium police aren't going to swoop down and ban all games because someone expressed an opinion, however much it's looking at something like Sexism.

matthew_lane:

Heck you want to see the paradigm in action, just jump across to the recent minecraft page & take a look at how many people there try to shift the blame of female inaction on to every one else.

I don't get what you mean by that, if you mean the woman that was sexually assaulted it isn't unusual to be in a state of 'Omg that didn't just happen' Mostly becuase the situation is so unreal. I was groped once by my colleague at work and I just totally froze and almost acted like nothing had happened. I'm not sure you can really understand it unless it has happened to you. If I misunderstood what you meant, then I am sorry. I still don't believe 'hypoagency' is a thing. Women aren't a hivemind.

Revolutionaryloser:
The laws delimit clearly what constitutes a threat. A death threat is an especially serious crime. Finding comedy in verbal violence against innocent people is uncivilized, vile and constitutes an omission of civic responsibilities. It is an act enjoyed by uneducated brutes. It is pathetic. There is no honor in wallowing in your own ignorance and apathy.

Those who do not respect the rights of others are nothing but criminal scum.

My aren't you a happy fellow...

I was browsing this: http://www.ign.com/top/rpgs/ earlier, facepalming my way through it when I saw someone commenting

They put FFX in the 60's....Number one better make me orgasm like I have never orgasmed before or there are going to be some serious consequences. e.i: I'll go to ign's headquarters and rape every single employee.

You know what I didn't think?
Oh no, the poor staff, they are being threatened by this most vile individual! I need to alert the authorita!

You know what I did think?
lol, an Internet comment. Also nobody'd miss IGN if they are gone anyway.

In an entirely related matter, watch this: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-july-16-2012/louis-c-k-

Tippy:

Now I no longer have a problem with it, because I know what's going on deep down.
Everything suddenly started making sense after I watched that video, I saw the whole issue under a new light - I saw the fact sexism doesn't exist in video gaming and never has.

....*twitch*.

...Gather 'round kids! It's story time! Let's dissect the truth about how discrimination didn't happen! :D

So this one time, a woman said something about women, and thus she knew what every woman ever in the whole wide world ever thought and ever experienced, and she knew because she was a woman and thus an expert on women, ya know, that's how it goes. And then sexism never existed ever again because discrimination must always be based on hate; not marginalizing, generalization, insulting or archaic representation of stereotypes. Also Glee doesn't offend gay people, cause as we all know, every gay person acts exactly the same and never thinks about anything besides gay sex, being gay and singing in musicals, and it's not the shows HATEFUL or anything. And Song of the South isn't racist at all, cause black people LOVED to be submissive to white folk; it's not like the movie was hateful, the characters loved black people, as long as they knew their place! :D And AAA gaming? Well, in anything besides an RPG, women usually don't exist...and in fighting games, action and some JRPG's they're half naked and on display pretty often...and have little to no identity...and are often just there to be saved...And Samus was the only strong female main character in mainstream gaming that actually sold and scored well, but she's probably gone now after she became a submissive coward...

But the game devs didn't say 'Women are bitches', so there isn't a problem. We good!

...This isn't about censoring anything, or even changing anything directly. It's giving a medium a much needed dose of self-awareness. We have PLENTY of great female characters, but practically none of them are the lead character outside of games with character customization, we have flat-out softcore porn selling millions of copies, women barely exist in several (likely most) so-called modern and futuristic shooters, the treatment of women online that I've seen first hand, the treatment of women in competitive gaming in general, and several other things all add to a very long list of unfortunate implications.

It just makes us look bad, and makes some people feel less welcome in a hobby or in communities. So let's have a rational conversation that doesn't start with 'there is no sexism in gaming'. There's also sexism toward men. And limited roles for black characters, gays, lesbians, and anyone who isn't straight/ambiguous, white/japanese and male. Having a calm, rational conversation about pointing out those things, and discussing a way to improve things, is not going to end gaming as we know it. I really hate Anita's work, and she sure as hell didn't need a CENT of extra money to start having this conversation, but I don't hate the idea of her work. That's the issue here, we could have had a progressive discussion, and then some idiots on both sides said some things they shouldn't have, and now we assume the worst of eachother. :(

Revolutionaryloser:

matthew_lane:
-snip-

She was acting within her constitutional rights. Attempting to interfere with that is a crime.

/facepalm: No its not.

Seriously, you armchair lawyers need to turn of judge judy & stop pretending you know anything about the law, constitutional or otherwise.

People pointing out that A.S is
A. Talking complete & utter bullshit is not against the law.
B. Got exactly the reaction to set out to inspire from 4chan is not against the law.
C. Is intellectually dishonest, by blocking anyone not singing her praises is not against the law.

And even if it were how the law works, which it isn't... *ahem* THE INTERNET IS NOT FUCKING AMERICA!

I honestly don't think i can make that point clear enough. No one outside of the United States gives a flying fart about your constitution. Has this point been made sufficently, or shall i repeat it a half dozen times, so you can understand?

Its pretty simple really: Internet =/= America.

So let me make this abundantly clear: Anita is a troll, who trolled 4Chan because she knew that she would get the result she wanted, which she then turned into hard cash money. She blocks anyone who disagrees with her & her supporters pull the same breed of bullshit where anyone with a legitimate point to raise in opposition is immediately branded a troll, a rape support or a misogynist, before being blocked, rather then any form of civil discourse taking place.

An in the future, when you quote somebody, do not replace the text with "SNIP" & then immediately ignroe everytihng in the actual text, going off on some complete tangent, with nothing to do with refuting anything in the quoted text: It doesn't make you look smart, it makes you look like an ignorant dumb ass, more interested in hearing themselves speak, then in actually saying anything that adds to the conversation.

CAPTCH: Groundhog Day... Darn straight captcha, darn straight.

matthew_lane:
-snip-

There is a document called the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. No matter what country you claim to be from, these basic rights and obligations apply to you. I am merely quoting facts. Nothing Anita Sarkeesian has done to date constitutes an infringement of anybody's rights. The attacks she has been subjected to however, are clearly crimes. There is no arguing that the attacks are a very serious matter. They should not be treated as anything but disgraceful acts of hatred.

If you can't understand basic tenets of human interaction and cohabitation, any further discussion is pointless.

Dexter111:
-snip-

I deeply pity someone who is incapable of rising above his urge to ridicule those weaker than them and lacks the wit to create comedy that doesn't rely on offensiveness, shock and the suffering of others. If you would like my advice, grow up and look for healthier, more social forms of entertainment. Stagnating in your sociopathic inclinations will never bring you true happiness.

There are almost 500 replies to this video.... SOO my point will get lost in the fray.

None the less, I just wanted to point out to Jim that does the same thing as the people he is addressing this video. He calls out EA, and bemoans big publishers on this very show week after week. He rambles on about how horrible big publishers all while showing off footage of their games, and dropping their name over and over and over again. EA blah blah blah (footage of cool game) EA blah blah blah (footage of cool game), and you wonder why the industry is in the state its in. STOP GIVING HUGE PUBLISHERS FREE ADVERTISING!! You hypocrite.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 21 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here