Zero Punctuation: DayZ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Yeah, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is really just more of the same (ironically, given it's name), there really is no point in reviewing it.

My god, he had fun playing a game and for once his prose didn't wither as a result.

Awesome review Yathzee, way better than the other recent ones.

You've pretty much ran out of Mario jokes anyways. There's only so much Bowser/Peach subdom fanfiction you can sniff through before the novelty of it dries up and flakes away like a dog turd smeared on hot concrete.

blackrave:

Besides the griefers are just shit
I was there once in Elektrozavodsk and climbed on the highest point to check if there were some players in area (maybe team with them)
After receiving head piercing in a form of bullet I knew there were other players around
And the saddest part was that I later found my old equipment intact, so whoever killed me did it for fun >:(

My eagerness to try DayZ waned as I watched gameplay videos of it, and the above is something of an example why. You see, DayZ has two "levels" of gameplay. Level A is a fairly realistic zombie-apocalypse simulator, where underequipped survivors band together to survive against overwhelming odds and supply scarcity.

However, once a player finds a regular group to play with and acquires skill and equipment, he eventually enters Level B- an extremely realistic zombie-apocalypse simulator, where roving bands of heavily-geared survivors monopolize access to supplies and execute potential threats before they have a chance to know what hit them. Tactics in ArmA II are just as valid as in DayZ- which means that a group scouring an airfield for food and ammunition can, and will, do such things as post snipers on overwatch and move in fireteams. At this level, zombies become little more than an environmental hazard- it's other groups of survivors that are the primary threat.

The sheer ruthlessness of higher-level play- while understandable; one guy with a Makarov can ruin your day if given the chance- is what really turned me off from the Mod. Well, that, and all the literal running around.

I wondered if Yahtzee still played MC.
Ever think of doing a let's play ? I subscribe to 2 so far and would love to see Yahtzee's spin on all things MC :)

This is the sort of game I would probably love if I had friends that played online games other than World of Warcraft. Since I don't, I'd just rather watch some of the Youtube videos.

this was the best episode so far

I feel like there's a potential meme in the blood-pack guy... I just can't quite... figure it out.

Slender and SCP comtainment breach next plz thier both horror and thier free

...I can't be hearing this right, because it almost sounds like you had fun with this one, Yahtzee.

Call me a fanboy if you'd like but NSMB2 is tons of fun :D

I really like this anecdotal style of reviewing. For some reason I just feel that it makes the reivew more immersive and by extension, funnier.

I personally feel that the zombie genre has become a bit stale lately, but this seems genuinely interesting. I've never played ARMA before, but based on this video I might give it a try.

Dayz is horrifically boring and every gun you get you cant possibly use because itll cause a shit storm of zombies come your way faster then a rat with its arse on fire... so basically it has no point then to be a hoarder, at least in arma 2 you can blow a cunts face off from half a mile away without simultaneously attracting a hoard to rival genghis khan

snowburst92:
Dayz is horrifically boring and every gun you get you cant possibly use because itll cause a shit storm of zombies come your way faster then a rat with its arse on fire... so basically it has no point then to be a hoarder, at least in arma 2 you can blow a cunts face off from half a mile away without simultaneously attracting a hoard to rival genghis khan

No, this amounts to you having no patience or intelligence to learn the game mechanics. Or you just grew up with all the care-bear hand holding games that don't punish you at all when you die and let you properly learn from your mistakes...but that would explain your lack of patience too.

Edit: Crap, missed the spelling error. Never mind, if this was still quoted.

I guess this is one of those that Yahtzee would have liked - no handholding, 'go here now' flashing icon, a huge map to explore, etc etc.

Not for me though. I can't get interested even with all these reviews from sites of it being a natural progression on storytelling and whatnot.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
DayZ

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews DayZ.

Watch Video

It's not a fanmade mod, one of the developers of ARMA II made it.

mikey7339:

snowburst92:

No, this amounts to you having no patience or intelligence to learn the game mechanics. Or you just grew up with all the care-bear hand holding games that don't punish you at all when you die and let you properly learn from your mistakes...but that would explain your lack of patience too.

Actually to be honest, Snow Burst is quite right in this. It is closer to a Zombie Sim that we all want but still fails quite hard. Most of the time playing is just you running forward, accounts for almost 80% of it to be precise. While so, this game has some crazy athlete zombies, door don't do shit as zombies just walk through them. The mod is horrid to control(though that is partly Arma fault) while having absolutely nothing to do except kill either zombies or people. This is Minecraft levels of boring, except even worse for the fact that you don't even get to build shit. I would suggest people to wait and see if they improve on it when they go official but as it is now, quite the snooze fest.

I'd love to play this game! Too bad the graphics and engine makes the game unplayable on my rinky dink laptop.

Also, Post-Secondary wants me to never have fun.

I enjoyed this series on the game, especially when they are chased by around 40 zombies at once
http://www.youtube.com/show/thedaysahead

The Shack Tactical group also made their own mission with zombies and didn't release it, showing some restraint at least
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_rs7bnbI18

What I've learned from this thread is that I should try MineZ.
I only just this week got a PC that can run Arma2 so I was thinking of giving DayZ a try, but with the hacker issues and whatnot I've been a bit turned off and I'm considering waiting for the standalone game.

I got sick of DayZ pretty quickly

By the 10th death or so I just thought 'fuck this' mainly because 5 of those deaths were caused by stupid glitches of zombies running through walls, my legs breaking for no reason, zombies lagging about and hacking players.

Fuck that game. It's shit until it fixes the many problems it has. It has some good ideas but for anyone saying it is realistic is wrong.

Also anyone who says that DayZ 'accurately portrays society if there were a zombie apocalypse' is so wrong. 99% of strangers you meet kill you! They kill you because its fun (I killed people because it was fun looting their stuff).

In real life that wouldn't happen! Most survivors would get together and team up not shoot each other to take his can of beans! People wouldn't do that in real life because it is a lot different to kill someone in a game than kill someone in real life. People just wouldn't do it.

Anyway that game got boring pretty fast cos of random shit that doesn't make sense (unrealistic stuff in a game trying to be as realistic as possible)

I played it until I had everything I needed to survive and then I got horribly bored and wandered off.

I don't see the attraction at the moment and the controls are horrible.

The Rogue Wolf:

blackrave:

Besides the griefers are just shit
I was there once in Elektrozavodsk and climbed on the highest point to check if there were some players in area (maybe team with them)
After receiving head piercing in a form of bullet I knew there were other players around
And the saddest part was that I later found my old equipment intact, so whoever killed me did it for fun >:(

My eagerness to try DayZ waned as I watched gameplay videos of it, and the above is something of an example why. You see, DayZ has two "levels" of gameplay. Level A is a fairly realistic zombie-apocalypse simulator, where underequipped survivors band together to survive against overwhelming odds and supply scarcity.

However, once a player finds a regular group to play with and acquires skill and equipment, he eventually enters Level B- an extremely realistic zombie-apocalypse simulator, where roving bands of heavily-geared survivors monopolize access to supplies and execute potential threats before they have a chance to know what hit them. Tactics in ArmA II are just as valid as in DayZ- which means that a group scouring an airfield for food and ammunition can, and will, do such things as post snipers on overwatch and move in fireteams. At this level, zombies become little more than an environmental hazard- it's other groups of survivors that are the primary threat.

The sheer ruthlessness of higher-level play- while understandable; one guy with a Makarov can ruin your day if given the chance- is what really turned me off from the Mod. Well, that, and all the literal running around.

The constant threat is the joy of it. 100 deaths at the hands of players (which would take you forever to rack up anyway) is totally worth the 1 spontaneous instance of companionship you'll happen across. The chances of you getting a bullet through the head out of nowhere are pretty bloody slim, and you'll not come across players too often at all.

I have a user review here. It's like nothing else I've ever played, and if it captures you like it's captured me and the million or so others who now play it, you'll be glad you stuck your nose in. At worst, you'll at least have tried something that's actually interested in boiling gaming down to its inherent strengths (however rough-around-the-edges it might be in places) .

The mistake people make is that they thing it's going to give you the same feeling that being spawn-killed in, say, BF3 gives you. It's not. It's infuriating, but it matches what DayZ really is: a story-generator. And a fucking good one at that.

Poisoned Al:
As a DayZ vet, there was a massive evil grin on my face the second he said "Lee Enfield." For those who don't play DayZ, players call the Lee Enfield "The Dinner Bell." I think you can figure out why.

Heh, same. The running joke between me and a friend is that I'm only ever able to find an Enfield (we called it The Rape Whistle before learning its real name), whether I'm with him or playing by myself. To be honest, it's gotten to the point where I don't like to carry any other main weapon.

I had to fire it once in a town because we'd been surrounded by a few Zeds and his pistol had run out of ammo. Ran to a barn and holed up - every shot attracted more, by the end of it I'd emptied the entire town. Went through 80 rounds, at least.

I had to stop playing this game because every time I tried to join a server it would boot me before I spawned. Once, I got killed before the world even loaded. Quite often I would get stuck at a black screen, and be able to chat with other players, but the world wouldn't load.

Only once did I ever make it to an airfield, but the graphics were so bad that the scenery was flying at my face rather then being painted on the objects. couldn't tell if there was stuff around or not. did manage to pop 2 zombies though.

The times I could get on a server, it was all kinds of fun. never did understand why people would just up and shoot fellow players w/out giving them a chance to surrender, or give them the option to turn around and leave.

there was one time in electro, there were 2 players, both with military equipment, just gunning down players left and right. managed to get a trail of zombies on one of them (player fully auto light mg, he took care of them right quick) then managed to find a lee enfield and took out his mate before he offed me. best shot of my life, most fun I've had in the game. Dodging and weaving full auto shots, only taking the time to line up that perfect shot. His mate was prone and in the firehouse tower, he actually accused me of hacking a few times. I offered to re-create the shot, but apparently the guy who shot me was the server admin. He checked and saw that I wasn't hacking. It was just a good/lucky shot.

Eh, it's a shooting game that Yahtzee likes. Definitely something surprising, but I still have a few other games to take care of...

*Yahtzee praises the well-being of another person*

._. I must play this game.

mikey7339:
This 'Mod' in truth has been the only good and original game to come out in years. It has been the only game that has kept my attention for more than a few months and I still look forward to playing it most days.

I have never had a game leave me completely paranoid the entire time playing and then shove me into an insane adrenaline rush that literally felt like I was fighting for my life. Being able to lose your persistent character that you could have been building for a month in an instant due to one stupid mistake is what makes this game so fun, nerve wracking and addicting.

All other FPS & MMO developers need to take serious note and learn from this game.

If all games where like Dayz then it would lose its appeal. What makes it great is that it has an original idea. Psychological dynamic of friends turning on you at any time, building alliances and forming trust, building your character not via easy RPG ways like experience or gold that you can get anything with, but through valuable items that have practical use.
A hunger/thirst system, combined with realistic medical system that adds alot of value to items of that nature.. and of course making good weapons rare.
Penalizing death harshly will make all of this have a strong effect on the player, it will drive them to care about the game, and that will have a profound effect on their experience.
Having all these elements come together well.

You can't really teach developers to "be original". You can however teach them to "try to be".

Well if nothing else, this one was certainly a saga.

Reckon this will take my vote for best ZP episode of the year, particular like this one for some reason.

As for Arma 2, never played it, got no opinion on game or mod.

MajorDolphin:
DayZ is good but I strongly recommend everyone wait until the standalone version comes out. There is only so much a mod can do to a game. The standalone has complete access to the engine and will be removing some of the more annoying aspects of the mod. I'm surprised the number one issue of the game wasn't mentioned. If you play long enough you'll run into it.

Yes, what he said. Except for that last part, which I didn't understand.

New players who go solo get a baptism of being-tied-to-a-truck-bumper-and-going-for-a-scrape. There are animals in the game that you can kill and eat, but its not at all obvious how you can do this. You can use the hatchet to get firewood and then make a firepit, but its not obvious how you do that either. If you break a leg, and you don't happen to have morphine, then you might as well suicide. I broke my leg and thought I'd make a video of me crawling across the continent in search of morphine. Gotterdammerung was that ever boring, and you'd think that more towns would have clinics or hospitals. Welp, nothing here, lets crawl 5 Km to the next town. And pray that no players run over me or hit me with a rocket launcher from two miles off.

Most of the entertainment value is in the survival horror angle. Once you have located proper supplies, you can just piss off and go live in the woods. That's actually kinda boring.

ThunderCavalier:
Eh, it's a shooting game that Yahtzee likes. Definitely something surprising, but I still have a few other games to take care of...

*Yahtzee praises the well-being of another person*

._. I must play this game.

Why is it strange? Yahtzee is a known fan of FPS games

I got this game just because my buddies wanted me to join them. The zombies themselves are a minimal threat once you get your hands on decent equipment, so the fun is in taking on other player groups. The only problem I have is that once someone thinks they're going to lose, they log off because they don't want to start from scratch. My two buddies usually disconnect the moment they hear gun fire. All the fun was gone. I haven't played in months.

Someone mentioned this game as a story-generator and I have been thinking about it in the same way a couple of times now.

A recent story of mine went as follows:
We were but 2 survivors, not exactly high-end geared but with an AK and MP5 none the less. We decided that we would for once attain a vehicle, because why not? Our quest revolved around searching the area of Elektro and the 2 / 3 cities to the north. One of us would take our bike and look for a vehicle while the other would find the equipment. We found a bus quite quickly, it was in bad shape and probably a fresh spawn. We fixed it and drove even further north, where we found another vehicle, a mini-van which we found hilarious and more suited for survival than a big, loud and blocky bus. Alas, we drove around to look for supplies, namely the High-Yield industrialbuilding in Cherno. We got everything without trouble and returned to the minivan, only to stop 100meters from the Gas Station, because we saw an offroad pickuptruck aswell,with what looked like 2 people.

The guy driveing was freaked out, and hammered the gas to get to a highplace up the hill, the other was in the building, and didn't make it to the car, and ran away north. We didn't feel like fighting, since we just wanted the minivan, but since turning around is practically impossible in the bus, we hammered the gas to make our way north, but they started fireing away, rendering the bus useless. We got out and literally 3 secs after getting out, it blew up. For a minute everything was silent, and we thought they might've picked up and left, but as my friend went abit too far away from the cover of the bus, he was killed by the guy to the north. He almost died in that one shot, but the shooter was now faceing another problem: Zombies.
I saw this oppurtunity, because now his location was given away, and even though i couldn't clearly see him, the pressure of zombies and random AK-shots flying, eventually finished him off. meanwhile, his partner had gotten out of his pickup truck with what sounded like a DMR, finishing off my friend before i could fix him up.

At this point i am alone beside the wreck of my bus, with an AK fighting a sniper at what i guess was a 500 Meter firefight. between us was a small field, a trainstation, and a couple of trees scattered about. After 5 minutes of me trying to wait him out, i decided to take the chance, and run as close as I could. A one-shot at succes. I manage to get over to the train-station, attracting too many zombies to handle without getting into view of the sniper, i keep running, trying to avoid his shots. Through the cover of bushes, obscureing his view as much as possible. I hear his frustrated and impatient shooting, he knows that if i get close enough he WILL have a problem. Shot after shot flies right by me, and at this point i am filled with tension...

I died...

End of story, and i loved every bit of it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here