No Right Answer: Worst Third Movie of a Series Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Worst Third Movie of a Series Ever

Filmed live in front of the Escapist Movie Night line, the gang take on the dreaded third movie of a series. Why do so many of them fall so flat, and which one fell the hardest?

Watch Video

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up Transformers.
With the Star Wars prequels it was the opposite problem.

No Spider-Man 3?????

WHAT THE HAYLL!?

it may have 8 movies to it but we're just going on the worse 3rd movie of a series then I'd say the third Harry Potter movie. There was no shrunken heads in the book and anything electronic doesn't function in Hogwarts. Not to mention the fading to black transitions was over done.

When I click on the video I get an error:

200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp4_hq/escapist/no-right-answer/32d898279e6b94179b03592f6d732ca0.mp4''

That was good, but why don't you have a table? PAX lets you set up in the middle of a hall, but you can't use a lousy card table for 15 minutes?

Also, listing great actors in Pirates of the Carribean and not mentioning Geoffrey Rush?

Godfather Part III. Spidey 3 was bad. Star Wars prequels were bad. But it seems like Francis Ford Coppola showed how to screw up a perfectly movie with one simple choice. Sofia Coppola can't act. Every time she isn't on screen, the movie is good (sometimes great). Whenever she shows up, you can almost feel the movie's quality drop. Today, she's been replaced by Rosie Huntington-Whitely. At least she can direct.

portal_cat:
it may have 8 movies to it but we're just going on the worse 3rd movie of a series then I'd say the third Harry Potter movie. There was no shrunken heads in the book and anything electronic doesn't function in Hogwarts. Not to mention the fading to black transitions was over done.

Aye, there were a few liberties with the script and the direction wasn't great (Alfonso Cuarón hadn't read any of the books or seen the previous films previously, and he had to take it across the gap between 'reasonably lighthearted magical childhood romp' to 'hero's journey complete with soul-eating creatures'), but it wasn't BAD. It was not great, but it was still serviceable.

Pirates of the Carribean III and Matrix III, on the other hand, were just bad. They had some decent moments, but they retconned so much, and the scripts were so poorly written, that they retroactively damaged their respective series.

The Matrix Revolution.
Really?
I mean, it did suffer from being the worst in the series, but there's no way in hell that it matches X-Men:The Last Stand's level of bad, or Spiderman 3's, well...Spiderman 3 syndrome.

I could just be overreacting, as I consider myself a fan of the setting/lore etc.

Do we get to consider Crow 3, or was Crow 2 the franchise-killer there?

Barring that and the good points made in the vid, I'll second the motion to include Spiderman 3 in this argument. It's a legitimate contender.

Am I really in that much of a minority for liking the third PotC movie?

I mean, that over Spiderman 3? Really?

Apparently I have bad taste in movies.

Scars Unseen:
When I click on the video I get an error:

200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp4_hq/escapist/no-right-answer/32d898279e6b94179b03592f6d732ca0.mp4''

it's a ping error, refresh the page and try again till it works (can take up to 6 tries on some days)

I am really surprised that Spiderman 3 wasn't mentioned, so many problems with few or no redeeming factors.

portal_cat:

What hurt that movie even more was the fact that the third Harry Potter book was the only one that was bad. Not really a good sign for a movie to be good if the book it is based on is bad.

As for my answer the Matrix 3 not a single redeeming quality of the movie. I'm surprised Pirates 3 was a part of the debate I actually liked it.

Maybe it's just me but I actually liked all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It might be because I never thought of the movies as partly realistic, and I liked how the the 3rd movie was whimsical.

The7Sins:

portal_cat:

What hurt that movie even more was the fact that the third Harry Potter book was the only one that was bad. Not really a good sign for a movie to be good if the book it is based on is bad.

As for my answer the Matrix 3 not a single redeeming quality of the movie. I'm surprised Pirates 3 was a part of the debate I actually liked it.

I thought both Pirates 2 and 3 had scenes that were just drug out too long for their own good.

There were so many choices for this, I'm surprised that Pirates 3 was even taken, given so many options like Spider Man, X-Men, Terminator, and probably quite a few more.

Ah, X-Men: The Last Stand. I'd say it trumps both of those. Also, Batman Forever (although, I absolutely love Jim Carrey screaming, "YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!" at Tommy Lee Jones).

Also, Toy Story 4 won't be the fourth movie of a trilogy, since Toy Story was never a "trilogy" so much as they made a movie, then another, then another (I mean, Toy Story 2 was originally going to be direct to video, but then the original cast returned and the story was "too good" to be direct to video).

Also, while we seem to be focusing on bad geek third movies, there are certainly others to choose from: Jaws 3D, Saw 3, American Pie 3, Rush Hour 3, Godfather III, etc. etc. etc..

Matrix: Revolutions is unequivocally a worse movie than Pirates of The Caribbean: At World's End.

Just don't ask me to choose between M:R and On Stranger Tides. That movie made my brain want to vomit.

Thunderous Cacophony:
That was good, but why don't you have a table? PAX lets you set up in the middle of a hall, but you can't use a lousy card table for 15 minutes?

Also, listing great actors in Pirates of the Carribean and not mentioning Geoffrey Rush?

I think if we would have used a table, it would have had to be paid for. Kinda like no parking zones that you don't get a ticket for if your car is still running. The moment you turn your car off it becomes a "park" and you get a ticket. As long as we were standing, it wasn't a booth and we didn't have to pay.

I don't know 4th movies can be ok. POC4 did what it set out to do. Make a movie that ends with more actors then it started with so that no matter who agreed to do a straight to TV video 5th one it would be cannon and they would have backstories out of the way.

Rambo 3. No question. Just awful.

Godfather III definitely.

I disagree with Kyle. Rambo 4 fixed most of the problems that the third one left and created a perfect conclusion for a legend. 4th movies can be a force of good.

Butterfly Effect 3. Just to compare the original Butterfly Effect to the third one...I'm not sure whoever directed Butterfly Effect 3 watched the original one.

Honestly, I can never understand why people think that Pirates if the Caribbean 3 is bad, or is a stain on the series. If you want the real stain on the series go to Pirates 4.

In terms of third movies, though, I'd have to go with Spiderman 3, or Transformers (Then again the second wasn't all too good either...)

I second that, shut up Chris!

4th installments are rarely ever called for and are rarely ever anything but cash grabs and suffer because of it.

Of course I haven't even seen Matrix: Revolutions so I can't really comment on this debate.

I think both movies were great.

My choice, Scream.

canadamus_prime:
I second that, shut up Chris!

Thirding it. Toy Story ended on an awesome and heartfelt moment. DON'T KILL IT!

Unless...of course...Wreck-It Ralph IS the fourth Toy Story, in which case...

I still don't understand what people had against Matrix: Revolutions...

out of the two: Revolutions

My choice: X-Men 3

I don't think it's the worst, but just for mentioning to put on the list: Blade Trinity.

Nice episode. Funny end.

B-but I liked Matrix 3...

Hell, I love the entire damn trilogy.

I think it would've been more fun for them to choose worst 4th movie, and then they brought it up at the end. Here's hoping they do that at some point.

Krantos:
Am I really in that much of a minority for liking the third PotC movie?

I mean, that over Spiderman 3? Really?

Apparently I have bad taste in movies.

Well not according to that little mini-survey they did at the end of the video. I also liked the third one, I mean not as much as the other two obviously, but it was a decent movie.

Maybe I have too much history with the Matrix franchise, but I can't fathom someone thinking that Revolutions was worse than the unholy mess that was At Worlds End.

Nobody mentions Jaws 3?!
Seriously?! That's leaps and bounds worse than any of the part 3's that this thread is listing.

karloss01:
I still don't understand what people had against Matrix: Revolutions...

I still don't understand why Spiderman 3 gets the so much hate and ridicule.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here