Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

Pages PREV 1 2

juyunseen:
If you just want to understand this season, I'd advise just going back and either watching Matt Smith from the beginning, or just watching last season if you're short on time.

Once these first five episodes are done and we have another break, start back with Eccleston and watch all the new stuff. You'll then have enough knowledge to really get the show without searching around for the old stuff.

Which season does this doctor start in? I believe Netflix has a few seasons back.

Mouse_Crouse:

juyunseen:
If you just want to understand this season, I'd advise just going back and either watching Matt Smith from the beginning, or just watching last season if you're short on time.

Once these first five episodes are done and we have another break, start back with Eccleston and watch all the new stuff. You'll then have enough knowledge to really get the show without searching around for the old stuff.

Which season does this doctor start in? I believe Netflix has a few seasons back.

Matt Smith runs from season 5 to the current season.

Scorched_Cascade:

The Tenth Doctor became a law unto himself. He has already carried out judgement that two entire species could not be allowed to live, why should he allow a handful of hostile creatures to continue to harm the place he killed his own species to save? Such a judgement would seem a small step compared to agonising decision to conclude the Time War. He is slipping, becoming sociopathic. He becomes Judge, Jury and Executioner of the entire universe. Do anything he personally does not like or harm those he likes and woe unto you regardless of the law. He is very unstable, the image of him standing with hate in his eyes bringing down the ocean on the spider queen is very representative of the later Tenth.

Quote: The Doctor: For a long time now, I thought I was just a survivor, but I'm not. I'm the winner! That's who I am: the Time Lord Victorious!
Adelaide: And there's no one to stop you...
The Doctor: No!
Adelaide: [disgusted] This is wrong, Doctor! I don't care who you are: the Time Lord Victorious is wrong!
The Doctor: [arrogantly] That's for me to decide.

I can't help but disagree. The episode that has that quote in it is after he has ruined Donna's life and he is looking back at everyone who suffered because of their involvement with him; Martha and her family live with the horror of the Masters alternate reality, Astrid (voyage of the damned) died saving him, Captain Jack is 'wrong', he destroyed Pompeii. Pile that on top of the guilt over the time war and he snapped, knowing that the mars crew had to die he asked himself "who decided that?", he realized he had the power to do whatever he wanted.

And what happened 2 minutes later? He realized what a massive mistake that was as the entire universe got remade around his decision, he realised that just because he can doesn't mean he should.

The new doctor seems a bit more willing to change the rules however. Look at the last series, the whole thing is building up to his death so he runs around and finds a way to cheat death and keep on going. While not messing with a 'fixed' event like 10 did it's still changing history to work the way he wants it to.

As for ten's personality while he was willing to kill it was usually as a last resort. Look at the fires of pompeii, he has to choose between pompeii or everyone on earth, he didn't want to kill but he had to. Or look at planet of the dead, the stingrays are death incarnate, not evil but they will still wipe out everything on world after world. For the good of the universe he should wipe them out but instead he makes sure they will travel to uninhabited worlds and never harm anyone. He doesn't want to kill because just because it's easier.

I would say the best representative of ten is the end of of midnight when you see the guilt he feels over not being able to save the hostess and possessed passenger - he's tired of fighting and seeing people die. I agree that 9 had PTSD over the war, 10 has got over the worst of that and now lives with a guilt over constantly surviving when so many others don't.

You know, I figured that the Rani might be featured in this episode before we realized it was the Silurians. In a sixth doctor episode, Mark of the Rani (1985), she is incubating dinosaur eggs in her TARDIS. At that time, she had the coolest-looking TARDIS interior. At the end of the episode, the Rani and the Master are both trapped in her TARDIS as a T-Rex is quickly hatching and growing.
I also thought that Sabalom Glitz might have been an interesting throwback instead of Solomon. While Sabalom would never have the lack-of-heart to toss Silurians out into space, he once sold off his entire crew, pretty much condemning them to death... The seventh Doctor never really addressed that.

I know it might be selfish to wish that the new series and the old series meshed a little more but there are so few television shows with as much screen time as Doctor Who and we are coming up on the 50th anniversary-- where are those throwbacks?

TimeLord:
I got the chance to talk Doctor Who with Susan in person yesterday. It was awesome! :D

One of the highlights of my Expo, no joke. I'm kind of cheesed we didn't get to do it more. You guys were SO awesome to hang out with. Thanks for letting me sit in on the convo. :)

Susan Arendt:

TimeLord:
I got the chance to talk Doctor Who with Susan in person yesterday. It was awesome! :D

One of the highlights of my Expo, no joke. I'm kind of cheesed we didn't get to do it more. You guys were SO awesome to hang out with. Thanks for letting me sit in on the convo. :)

You know what that means right?

Doctor Who panel next year!

TimeLord:

Susan Arendt:

TimeLord:

You know what that means right?

Doctor Who panel next year!

Yesssssssssssssss

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook