Escapist Expo: Fanboyism

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

At my first panel video it was "OMG 46 MINUTES???!!!!" o.O
Now I am at my 5th video and laughing my ass off...

"Stay clear of pedophilia and religious extremism." Susan you're no fun :P

sindremaster:
"Stay clear of pedophilia and religious extremism." Susan you're no fun :P

Yeah, her jokes seem a little too forced, and she's kinda annoying interrupting all the other guys jokes.

SecretNegative:

Yeah, her jokes seem a little too forced, and she's kinda annoying interrupting all the other guys jokes.

I was joking. I love Susan :)

sindremaster:

SecretNegative:

I was joking. I love Susan :)

Oh dear, I'll stand in the stupid people's corner then.

One thing I am surprised that wasn't really mentioned was the opposite of a fanboy, the people that hang around and do nothing but completely bash a franchise/company.

I understand why Mass Effect 3 was brought up, but at the same time I am unsure about the opinions from the panel, I get the feeling that they never played either of the endings and are basing their opinions on information they never experienced themselves. The way I have always looked at the Extended Cut of Mass Effect 3 is that it is no different then any movie that has a DVD/BluRay release (or even theatrical re-release) with new content that was never shown before.

Currently watching and to be honest all I could think of was that I'd love to give Jim Sterling a big cozy hug...
He looks so warming and soothing...

Damn, well apart from that I mostly look at Yathzee with lust, doesn't really help either when I think of it...

Well, anyways, love the videos and I'm incredibly happy they've put the panels up on the site, I've laughed my ass of through every video

*clap clap*

*Captcha*Edgar Degas
Who the hell is Edgar Degas?

Yahtzee wouldn't you be hung like that if you were omnipotent?

Agreed, sometimes the fanboys of things you like are the worst. "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.

RJ 17:
That said, why is Jim always in the middle? He looks like a fat Jesus at the Last Supper. :P

Thank God for Jim, who removed his pants for our sins.

Magefeanor:
*Captcha*Edgar Degas
Who the hell is Edgar Degas?

Wow, these Captcha are getting really highbrow.

The sound faults in this made my little Sound Engineer soul hurt.

OT: I really like Jim's live presence, he seems to rule all the panels he appeared in.

Susan Arendt:

Neko Pounce:
I personally really enjoyed that, Every expo video. It looks really enjoyable!

Seems the woman just wanted to make her point about what SHE thinks about stuff since she had a microphone. Let's insult MLP and other things you know people will disagree with. THATS JIMS JOB.

It's called moderating the panel, giving them new ideas and concepts to discuss.

I do enjoy how you decided to reply to that.

Also, The only reason I called you "the woman" btw is because I'm dyslexic and at the time if I had tried to type Susan i would have made myself look really stupid.

Also, that was a joke, That's why I said "Jims job!"... Jim doesn't have a job! HE YELLS AT THINGS AND MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY. JOB DONE.

I never actually aimed to "Offend" you or say you where doing anything wrong. Sept picking on MLP. That, was a little wrong :C

Falseprophet:
Agreed, sometimes the fanboys of things you like are the worst. "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.

RJ 17:
That said, why is Jim always in the middle? He looks like a fat Jesus at the Last Supper. :P

Thank God for Jim, who removed his pants for our sins.

Seriously...every time I see Jim all I can see is him on that exercise bike in his underwear...that image is permanently burned into my mind.

But indeed, "Thank God for Jim."

Sound checking. LOOK IT UP!

Poisoned Al:

YES PLEASE! There are kids around, so I had to keep my cursor on the volume meter the whole time.

Jim's laugh when he hears of secret groups of paedophiles is the best thing ever XD

Didn't like this episode. Felt a bit too arrogant and condescending, like five guys discussing how much everyone else sucks, and how rational and balanced they are in comparison.

I would agree with Bob's first comment the most, that it is mostly just a subjective insult, with fans calling each other fanboys.

Also, the "MLP fandom is ironic" misconception was already outdated a year ago. You don't fly across the country to be at a fan convention ironically. You don't write a 600.000 word fanfic novel and publish it in 5 hardcover volumes ironically. You don't spend months producing whole professional quality animated fan-episodes with a team ironically.

They were surprisingly clear-cut on the whole ME3 thing. Never liked the series myself, but even just from my "peripheral internet vision", the shitstorm appeared to have been caused by a lot of different reasons, all of which you could deem (un)justified to different degrees.

RJ 17:
On behalf of everyone who really wanted to go to the Expo but for whatever reason couldn't, I would just like to thank whoever had the brilliant idea to put these panels up on the site to watch. It really is fun to watch these guys discuss things off-script, and it's been very insightful.

Indeed, I've just slept too late two nights in a row because of the Expo videos. They're really fun.

As a MLP fan I will admit (with gusto) that nearer the beginning of the series and our little ride on the clip-clop express it was a bit much, especially towards outsiders. Everything was ponies and im no better as its all I drew for a good few months.

HOWEVER I don't think bronies were completly to blame here, hell the first time I ever got trolled on the internet was due to the fact that I enjoyed the show, it really made me mad and fueled, what turn't out to be a good thing, the set up of pony exclusive sites such as Equestria Daily by others who just wanted out of the argument or at least a place to counter it.

I got over it and as it seems most others did to, now things have calmed down theres alot less hate on boths sides, most places such as 4-Chan (at least from what ive seen) just generally accept that some people are fans some arn't. Sure every now and then you get someone who gets to over the top and spouts hate at the other side but its no where near the level it used to be.

I don't spend all day on 4-chan and other such sites so apologies if im just missing the bitch fits between the fanboys and haters.

Anyway, im loving these Expo vids, im such a sheep that when someone I respect (like the guys and gal, in the case of Mrs.Arnt) starts speaking their oppinion that I just sit there happily doodling away. Its relaxing you know?

Susan Arendt:

Neko Pounce:

Seems the woman just wanted to make her point about what SHE thinks about stuff since she had a microphone. Let's insult MLP and other things you know people will disagree with. THATS JIMS JOB.

It's called moderating the panel, giving them new ideas and concepts to discuss.

I sincerely don't mean this as an insult, but if I may just say something that's been nagging me throughout those panel videos: You add such weird inflexions to your speech... You're the G-Man of internet video content!

Mr.Tea:

Susan Arendt:

Neko Pounce:

I sincerely don't mean this as an insult, but if I may just say something that's been nagging me throughout those panel videos: You add such weird inflexions to your speech... You're the G-Man of internet video content!

I do? Like what? Might be my accent, I'm really not sure.

Poisoned Al:

I understand your frustration, but there's no reason to be rude.

Varya:
Right, so I have to bring up something Susan said. During the discussion on companies putting out crap because the fanboys will buy wathever they sell, Susan defended it by saying it's just good buisness. I have to bring this up because It's not the first time Susan has said things to similar effect in the podcast, and it always rubs me the wrong way, but ths time, the discussion itself gave me the tools to argue.
First of all, I'm not trying to attack Susan, she's my favorite of the "core staff" (i.e. non video-contributors) and such a great role model. All the love to you<3, I just take issue with this one thing.
Ok, so to the argument, Bob made a valid, though extreeme comparrison, but the point I think he was trying to make, but definately the one I'm trying to make is "good buissness decision doesn't mean morally OK".
Example, the panel compared fanboys to people in love, and since they often love coroporations, love to someone who don't love you back. So if we scale it back, and we have a boy in love with a girl who don't love him back. He will gladly buy her stuff, do things for her even though she has no apparent interest in him. The girl can use this love to get him to buy things. He will not be dissapointed if he does this, even if he gets no love in return for his gifts, as the good doctor said in the panel, the act of loving someone can be a reward in itself, but he is not rich and spends his pocket money on this girl.
Is not a sound economical decicion for the girl to let the boy do so? Yet at least I find the act morally reprehensive. How is this different from if a company exploits it's fan base? Because it's a company's job? Does that make expoitation OK?
Now, I of course think that a company must focus on making money, but laws can never make all immoral acts illegal, that doesn't mean they are OK. We can't ban on-disc DLC but we can call them out for it. And I don't think it's ok to say that "in the end, the bad buisness models will hurt themself in the end" because they might not, they might be making money on online passes forever but that doesn't make it ok in my mind for a company to do so, because they are screwing their costumers over, and even if it's both legal and profitable it's still a shitty thing.
Ok, I'm all ranted out. Appologies if there's a lot of errors, I'm on my iPad so it gets a bit clusterf**ky.

Oh, and great video, really wish I could have been there.

Did I say anything about morals? I was bringing up a counterargument that was a valid point for discussion. It's very easy to only present one point of view when among like-minded folks; surely it's our responsibility to consider as many sides to a discussion as possible.

I'm 19 minutes in. I love these videos. Problem is the audio. Never seems properly equalized, sadly.

Susan Arendt:

Did I say anything about morals? I was bringing up a counterargument that was a valid point for discussion. It's very easy to only present one point of view when among like-minded folks; surely it's our responsibility to consider as many sides to a discussion as possible.

Ok, I guess that's fair. I'm trying to think of what else to say, but on the whole that sums it up. Thank you fotr the explanation, keep being awesome!

Great panel.

I think the term the Dr. was looking for when trying to describe the thought: "I've invested X amount of time in a series, therefore I need to stick with it even if it's no longer worth it" is 'Sunk Cost Fallacy'. The logical response to this reasoning is that time (or money or affection) that has been invested in the past can never be recovered, and therefore should not have any bearing on future decisions.

Well, I was looking forward to see this, being some sort of splicing experiment of a hardcore fan and a fanboy, I was expecting lot of different arguments about it.

Personally, not that anyone asked, I consider myself a SEGA fanboy, with no pride, nor shame, that's just what I am, I loved to play SEGA games back then from the Mega Drive era, even though I had a Famicom and got later a Super Famicom, I still loved Mega Drive the most.

I moved to the Playstation later, but I still got my hands on a Japanese White SEGA Saturn in the year 2000, when the console was pretty much dead, and I got my first DreamCast in the year 2005, when it was also dead, and enjoyed the crap of it, even though I had a Playstation, I loved the Saturn niche games I had, and I loved the plug and play games on the DC, while I used the PS mostly to play longer games, and my preferences still were on SEGA, while admitting at the time that both consoles failed for a reason, and most games I had weren't precisely flawless.

When they quit the console wars and started to make games for the GBA, or was it GBC, I don't remember, I was pissed off first, but when I got my hand in Sonic Advance the first thought that crossed my mind was "this is it, you were made for this."

Nowadays, I still love SEGA above all else, I know their games are FGB (Fairly Good, But...) and I take a personal pride when one of them shines, when I see people talking about it, it's like knowing that your friend could pass an university exam; that's how I feel when I see SEGA doing good, and when they don't, I don't force myself to like it, but I admit I try to find something good enough that makes me think it wasn't in vain.

I loved Alpha Protocol, with flows and anything, it was FGB, Bayonetta was the first in some time that was FG without a B, I love the Yakuza Series, and sometimes I go back to Kamurocho just to stomp in some face then I got back to my routine, sometimes without making a quest or anything, just face stomping.

So there I'm a fanboy, however you look at it, I don't feel like hating someone who doesn't like SEGA, or someone who criticizes it. But I am all up for their games, always following them up close, the only reason I don't have my DreamCast plugged is because my TV is for lack of space.

Back on track, I also look forward to new Silent Hill approaches, I always hated to know that there was a GBA japanese novel-like title that never made it through this side of the globe, and I'm sure any fan at the time was thinking the same, I don't get the hate nowadays for anything that doesn't have big breasted nurses, or AAA emulation of previous titles.

Same happened to DMC, so much hate, and while I confess not liking the very first trailer of it, I started to like it afterwards, gameplay seems great, and when the character took some personality, it was good, I don't care if it doesn't look like grey haired Ken (from Barbie) anymore.

But I came to realize that it doesn't matter if you're Mother Teresa, you'll end up pissing someone off on the internet someday, no exceptions.

The Human Torch:

They were referring to Sonic fanboys, the overzealous, foaming at the mouth, rabid fans who will defend the franchise until their dying day, no matter how bad the games have become.

You are clearly not a fanboy, you are just a fan, because you are able to make clear distinctions between the quality of games and decide for yourself which ones you like and which ones you don't.

Personally, I am a gigantic Transformers fan, the first cartoon series (flawed as it is), has a very special place on my DVD-shelf, I have hundreds of the original toys and naturally I bought the PS2 game Transformers: Energon and both of the recent Transformers games from Highmoon Studios.
That being said, I HATE the Micheal Bay movies. No amount of unconditional love for Transformers can convince me otherwise and I am not defending the movies whatsoever. They are terrible, atrocious, horrendous and a big middle finger to all the fans of the original series. That's the diference between a fan and a fanboy.

You don't need to feel hurt, because they were not referring to you personally. Just the fanboys who were (this actually happened) cry about the longer legs and the different eye color.

I pretty much consider fans and fanboys/fangirls one in the same meaning, or at least close to. The radical ones I would call fanatics. People who do treat the things they love like a religion.

Besides Sonic, I'm also a gigantic Star Wars fan. Own over 30 novels at home which have stories during various time periods of the Star Wars expanded universe, played a few of the games, watch a lot of the cartoon shows, spend many hours on Wookieepedia researching things on it, and have participated in 4 post-it fandom written Star Wars websites with various characters I've created to play as. Granted I consider myself a Sonic fan, but now a days I consider myself a bigger Star Wars fan.

I think that the guy yelling "THAT'S SUBJECTIVE OPINION! THAT WAS SUBJECTIVE OPINION!" proved the point about MLP having the worst fandom.

Susan Arendt:

Mr.Tea:
... You're the G-Man of internet video content!

I do? Like what? Might be my accent, I'm really not sure.

On a random tangent if it turned out you were behind the half-life universe the entire i would love that XD

I was really hoping they would intro Yahtzee as Gordan Freeman.

Chairman Miaow:
I think that the guy yelling "THAT'S SUBJECTIVE OPINION! THAT WAS SUBJECTIVE OPINION!" proved the point about MLP having the worst fandom.

I think it was supposed to be a joke? But it sounded terrible, I cringed when I heard that and I like mlp. Thank Jim they were classy enough to ignore that shout.
I don't think mlp has a worst fanbase. I can agree on the worst and most autistic fanboys, but fandom? No, there is just too much good content produced by it.
This is the principle they were talking about, you have fans that are passionate and do something good with their passion, like for example fighting game or good long animation with few VA that really try to do their best. And then you have people who turn their passion into some kind of weapon and try to go on a crusade.

Fanboys happen.

Ishiro32:

Chairman Miaow:

I think it was supposed to be a joke? But it sounded terrible, I cringed when I heard that and I like mlp. Thank Jim they were classy enough to ignore that shout.
I don't think mlp has a worst fanbase. I can agree on the worst and most autistic fanboys, but fandom? No, there is just too much good content produced by it.
This is the principle they were talking about, you have fans that are passionate and do something good with their passion, like for example fighting game or good long animation with few VA that really try to do their best. And then you have people who turn their passion into some kind of weapon and try to go on a crusade.

Fanboys happen.

I didn't mean that in general they had the worst collective fandom, that probably would go to sonic, but that the worst of the worst has come from that general direction. Some great people are involved with it, but it also seems to pull the nutjobs more than any other.

P.S. Don't use the word autistic as a bad thing. It's really offensive.

Entitled:
Didn't like this episode. Felt a bit too arrogant and condescending, like five guys discussing how much everyone else sucks, and how rational and balanced they are in comparison.

I would agree with Bob's first comment the most, that it is mostly just a subjective insult, with fans calling each other fanboys.

Also, the "MLP fandom is ironic" misconception was already outdated a year ago. You don't fly across the country to be at a fan convention ironically. You don't write a 600.000 word fanfic novel and publish it in 5 hardcover volumes ironically. You don't spend months producing whole professional quality animated fan-episodes with a team ironically.

Some people do it for the irony. Nobody ever said that they all did.

On the off chance Jim reads this I have to ask. Why did you choose to live in Mississippi of all states? Seems like you'd be more @ home in any other state (well except maybe Alaska).

The7Sins:
On the off chance Jim reads this I have to ask. Why did you choose to live in Mississippi of all states? Seems like you'd be more @ home in any other state (well except maybe Alaska).

Family reasons. In that I have one here now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here