Escapist Expo: Fanboyism

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Jimothy Sterling:

The7Sins:
On the off chance Jim reads this I have to ask. Why did you choose to live in Mississippi of all states? Seems like you'd be more @ home in any other state (well except maybe Alaska).

Family reasons. In that I have one here now.

Ahhhh I see. Well I hope you like it there.
And thanks Jim for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer my question.

Chairman Miaow:
I didn't mean that in general they had the worst collective fandom, that probably would go to sonic, but that the worst of the worst has come from that general direction. Some great people are involved with it, but it also seems to pull the nutjobs more than any other.

P.S. Don't use the word autistic as a bad thing. It's really offensive.

Then I agree with you.

And about word autistic. I used it here because in that contex it doesn't convey it's actual meaning, it's just a buzz world here. You may find it offensive, but so is word idiot etc. Here we all know that what i meant was that those people delve into their fan-created world so much that their real life suffers because of it.
Also i met people with advanced autism and this disease is actually a bad thing.

Ishiro32:

Chairman Miaow:
I didn't mean that in general they had the worst collective fandom, that probably would go to sonic, but that the worst of the worst has come from that general direction. Some great people are involved with it, but it also seems to pull the nutjobs more than any other.

P.S. Don't use the word autistic as a bad thing. It's really offensive.

Then I agree with you.

And about word autistic. I used it here because in that contex it doesn't convey it's actual meaning, it's just a buzz world here. You may find it offensive, but so is word idiot etc. Here we all know that what i meant was that those people delve into their fan-created world so much that their real life suffers because of it.
Also i met people with advanced autism and it's actually a bad thing.

I have been diagnosed with higher functioning autism, so it's a lot different to just calling somebody an idiot.

Chairman Miaow:
I have been diagnosed with higher functioning autism, so it's a lot different to just calling somebody an idiot.

Ok, a lot of people have this disorder. I understand that. It may not be polite to use that word lightly. But understand that when i use that word in this contex i don't even think about real autism. I think about mechanism that is very common in kids autism where kid delves into fantasy world and hides himself in it. There is nothing offensive about that, it's just a mechanism. And this word helps me to present it very fast.
I wasn't polite i get that, but i wasn't rude.

Scrumpmonkey:

Susan Arendt:

Mr.Tea:
... You're the G-Man of internet video content!

I do? Like what? Might be my accent, I'm really not sure.

On a random tangent if it turned out you were behind the half-life universe the entire i would love that XD

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am behind the Half-Life Universe.

Nothing to see here. Move along, citizen.

Susan Arendt:

Scrumpmonkey:

Susan Arendt:

On a random tangent if it turned out you were behind the half-life universe the entire i would love that XD

When is Half Life 3 coming out?

*cue evil laughter*

Susan Arendt:

Scrumpmonkey:

Susan Arendt:

I thought you were about to tell me to "pick up that can". XD

13 year old me thought that was the most amazing moment of AI/physics ever created by human hands.

Entitled:

Also, the "MLP fandom is ironic" misconception was already outdated a year ago. You don't fly across the country to be at a fan convention ironically. You don't write a 600.000 word fanfic novel and publish it in 5 hardcover volumes ironically. You don't spend months producing whole professional quality animated fan-episodes with a team ironically.

Seconded. If you get that far into something, you aren't doing it ironically. No-one, say, drinks an entire 2-litre glass of drink that they dislike "ironically".

Chairman Miaow:
I think that the guy yelling "THAT'S SUBJECTIVE OPINION! THAT WAS SUBJECTIVE OPINION!" proved the point about MLP having the worst fandom.

Yeah! How dare that guy disagree with her. What a prick. What a massive prick. He deserves to die.

Do you see a little irony here?

WaitWHAT:
Yeah! How dare that guy disagree with her. What a prick. What a massive prick. He deserves to die.

Do you see a little irony here?

Nope. Irony would have required that the same forceful and vitriolic tone he used (where I literally reeled back when the guy started screaming) were to be applied to him. That didn't happen.

I love how during the presentation, the "introduce yourself and tell us what you do failed miserably. That MovieBob is truly the attention whore. (jk)

Sseth:
Just a small remark towards the bit about Mass Effect 3 towards the end; they didn't change the ending. It was a compromise, they elaborated on what they meant by the ending and what the outcome was some more.

But nothing was changed, it was the same ending and they DID show conviction and the balls to stand by their ending while trying to appease fans by at least fleshing it out more (but I don't think that anything was really changed, save for adding one sort of semi-joke ending as a jab at fans).

Thanks for saying this. I was just coming one here to say the same thing. I was in the audience and I wish I had stood up and said something. I hope everyone that was on the panel read this.

That being said, nothing but respect for these guys and I will still watch these videos over and over!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here