Borderlands 2 Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Borderlands 2 Review

Borderlands 2 is exactly what series fans want: just more Borderlands.

Read Full Article

Looks pretty sweet. I wonder how well the assassin class handles in the game. I hope that mechromancer as i think its called gets added in later dlc as opposed to the pre-order only

twaddle:
Looks pretty sweet. I wonder how well the assassin class handles in the game. I hope that mechromancer as i think its called gets added in later dlc as opposed to the pre-order only

The Mechromancer will be downloadable when available for 800 MS points or 1000 PSN points later on. So $10.

OT: I'm only a few hours into Borderlands 2, and I can already say this review is fairly accurate. It's worth pointing out that Borderlands is a multiplayer experience - sure it's okay to play on your own, but if you don't bring friends, you're kind of missing the point. People seeking a solid story will get bored, while people seeking frantic action will be enthralled.

You get the Mechromancer for free if you pre-order the game.
Which you can still do in the EU, since it won't be released until the 21st.
A fact that drives me apeshit. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFGHGERHERGHERGHAFS

I never really liked the first game, in part because of it's less than stellar PC port (which it appears to have fixed in this sequel), but I don't think this type of gameplay lends itself that well to this style of game.

Knew it would be awesome!

Getting this on Thursday afternoon and then playing it all weekend plus Friday.

After the transformers review I'm not sure I trust this reviewer anymore.

Gotta wait until the end of the week for this to ship to Europe. I'm really hyped to get to playing it, and various members of my online clan have already staked their claim in our online co-op campaign so it's gonna be a blast when it comes out.

ExtraDebit:
After the transformers review I'm not sure I trust this reviewer anymore.

No reviewer will be in sync with your own tastes 100% of the time. Personally its simple, if you like BL1 you'll like BL2 even more because it just expands on everything people loved about BL1

I can't agree with this review more. I'm loving Borderlands 2 but in the end, it's just more of the same. The difference is the same is 'better' and more polished, if you understand me.

The bottom line is if you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one even more.

Denamic:

You and me both.

Why the fuck do I have to wait 3 more days when I already have it downloaded! ARGH!

I don't remember the first Borderlands being a very funny game. Mostly just incurably insane, terrifyingly sadistic, and sometimes just downright depressing. I mean, sure, Claptraps are quirky, but does anyone remember that guy with one leg who got tortured by bandits before he was hung to the ceiling fan? I liked that guy, and I remember him sounding incredibly lonely on the last quest I did for him.

Ah well, good to hear the sequel's worth picking up, I'll most likely be buying it on my next trip to GameStop.

Daaaah Whoosh:
I don't remember the first Borderlands being a very funny game. Mostly just incurably insane, terrifyingly sadistic, and sometimes just downright depressing. I mean, sure, Claptraps are quirky, but does anyone remember that guy with one leg who got tortured by bandits before he was hung to the ceiling fan? I liked that guy, and I remember him sounding incredibly lonely on the last quest I did for him.

Ah well, good to hear the sequel's worth picking up, I'll most likely be buying it on my next trip to GameStop.

claptrap doesn't annoy you nearly as much in BL2 as he did in 1. Also the main villan has more of a GLADOS approach and it works quite well. I think the humor is more refined and less obnoxious.

I hated my first vault visit, so I'm just going to go ahead and pass, also, Escapist Reviews going down in my totem of trusted game reviewers. :|

The only real bother I have is that respawning takes so goddamn long after you bleed out, yes it's a cool effect, but it's like the respawn in Too Human almost.

That said I love the game, and me and my four man squad are loving tearing the local populace to shreds.

I am loving this game so much. I am having a hard time going to bed even though there is an exam tommorow. I did manage to seperate myself from it.

I haven't had this much fun in the entire year I am so in love with this game.

I enjoyed Borderlands 1, but I just got so incredibly bored with it. I was hoping the story would be better to make it more compelling, but it looks like it's a just maybe scenario. Just maybe things will push me further in the game, and just maybe the refined combat/loot system will hook me for a bit longer? Probably not something I will love, but I'm looking forward to giving it a spin. Just maybe it'll surprise me? c:

Inkidu:
I hated my first vault visit, so I'm just going to go ahead and pass, also, Escapist Reviews going down in my totem of trusted game reviewers. :|

Why? It sounds like they told you precisely what you needed to know, and you were able to draw conclusions accordingly.

Goofguy:

The bottom line is if you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one even more.

And if we hated the first one, what would it be like for us people?

Anyway, from all the previews it seems to have gotten ridden of all the shit I hated from the first one. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow :D

Inkidu:

How? He said if you liked the first one, you would like this one. It's the first one, but polished and improved upon. If you didn't, you won't.

How is that a bad review? It seems a lot like you're just complaining that the reviewer doesn't share your taste in games.

Because...y'know, the legion of fans the game has and many other positive reviews are all also wrong. This game is terrible and you're right.

Inkidu:

So I'm guessing that this reviewer is your go to guy then: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.388622-Worst-review-I-have-seen-in-a-long-time-borderlands-2
You must not trust any reviewers because if you look on Metacritic, the lowest score is 75% which is hardly saying it's a bad game. The game's average is 90% which the Escapist nailed right on the dot.

The reviewer told you exactly what you needed to know. The game isn't for you but that doesn't mean others shouldn't like it.

i dint enjoy the first game, so i highly doubt i will enjoy this installment. pass for me.

Looking forward to it unlocking on Steam tonight ;)

Oh, and:

Article:
after all, Borderlands 2 is essentially its predecessor in nearly every measurable way

I think the author meant to say 'successor'.

Question: does the sequel still use Gamespy for it's multiplayer?

Cause Gamespy can really go die in a fire.

Are the "hundreds of millions" of weapons still just nothing more than the exact same weapon with a slightly different skin and maybe one stat different than the original one?

Cause that's all Borderlands was. Hundreds of slightly reskinned weapons with maybe one or two stat differences and endless grdinding without pay-off.

Sheo_Dagana:

twaddle:

The Mechromancer will be downloadable when available for 800 MS points or 1000 PSN points later on. So $10.

OT: I'm only a few hours into Borderlands 2, and I can already say this review is fairly accurate. It's worth pointing out that Borderlands is a multiplayer experience - sure it's okay to play on your own, but if you don't bring friends, you're kind of missing the point. People seeking a solid story will get bored, while people seeking frantic action will be enthralled.

Honestly depending on your play style single player is a perfectly acceptable way to play. The game is really no different except in the level of tactics when you compare single player to multiplayer.

I do think multiplayer, IF you are playing with people you mesh well with, can be the more rewarding experience but I have played more single player than multiplayer so far.

SpiderJerusalem:
Are the "hundreds of millions" of weapons still just nothing more than the exact same weapon with a slightly different skin and maybe one stat different than the original one?

Cause that's all Borderlands was. Hundreds of slightly reskinned weapons with maybe one or two stat differences and endless grdinding without pay-off.

Come on guy, we are WAAAAY passed the "its not really a million guns" thing. They never tried to claim there were a million unique guns. They even make fun of the hoopla of it by saying there are a Bazillion guns in BL2.

There is more variety in types of guns, ammunition, elemental type, sights, than you see in most shooters. The whole stat leveling game is part of the fun, like finding more powerful weapons in Torchlight or Diablo.

So don't get hung up on the whole "there are million guns" thing, ok?

It's all I could ever ask for out of a sequel.

Fix what's broken or not working very well, don't fix what isn't.

And I'm so glad they upped the difficulty. Makes encounters so much more rewarding.

Mygaffer:

SpiderJerusalem:

Come on guy, we are WAAAAY passed the "its not really a million guns" thing. They never tried to claim there were a million unique guns. They even make fun of the hoopla of it by saying there are a Bazillion guns in BL2.

There is more variety in types of guns, ammunition, elemental type, sights, than you see in most shooters. The whole stat leveling game is part of the fun, like finding more powerful weapons in Torchlight or Diablo.

Notice how "millions" was in quotes. Nobody has ever expected there to actually be more than maybe a hundred different weapons.

The problem is, in reality there is maybe like ten and then just a bunch of different skins with minor stat differences. Even Diablo, one of the laziest games in this aspect, had more variety to it.

But it's true, griping about the weapons is a small detail. One would do much better with griping about the poor level design, repetitive monster design and lack of any story whatsoever.

SpiderJerusalem:

Mygaffer:

SpiderJerusalem:

Notice how "millions" was in quotes. Nobody has ever expected there to actually be more than maybe a hundred different weapons.

The problem is, in reality there is maybe like ten and then just a bunch of different skins with minor stat differences. Even Diablo, one of the laziest games in this aspect, had more variety to it.

But it's true, griping about the weapons is a small detail. One would do much better with griping about the poor level design, repetitive monster design and lack of any story whatsoever.

I definitely think there are some legitimate complaints to be made about the game, although your complaints seem completely off from my experience. Have you even played the game?

The game's biggest flaw is that game play of quest, turn in, quest, can get a little repetitive over time.

I thought reviews were supposed to try and be analytical and objective. Not contain only one or two minor complaints and lots of gushing about the game in question.

Not that I think Borderlands 2 is a bad game, the review just didn't help me see how it was better/different/worse from the first at all.

I'm probably one of fairly few people who was "ehh... Meh" about BL 1 who actually has played BL 2 this early... so here's something from someone who really doesn't have any love for the franchise at all.

There ARE big improvements in some areas. For starters, the GUI is LOADS better to use. I won't say it looks better, but it's far more functional. And the visual design is superior. As opposed to the cell-shaded but predominantly "dirt brown and gun metal grey" setting (that was only corrected in the DLC) there is some refreshing variety in backdrop. There is more satisfying variety in mobs as well (there are more than 3 types of 4 or 5 different enemy types in this one.)

The ways it's worse... visually it doesn't seem as "sharp." Like the difference between Skyrim pre and post high rez texture pack. Maybe BL 2 will get a high rez pack somewhere down the line. But honestly that doesn't bother me.

So, it's better than the original. Because everything else (good and bad) is exactly the same, and the one thing I thought was worse... is something I care nothing about. I still don't like the game all that much. No matter how much it claims to have "rpg elements" it really doesn't. Adding fetch quests, loot, and a completely unnecessary leveling system and saying it has "rpg elements" is like saying Call of Duty has "rpg elements" because you level up in multiplayer. For me it loses the rpg label when it shoehorns you into one of 4 premade characters that are not "silent protagonist" types. Being able to change the color of their costumes does not make up for the lack of customization (example from BL 1... want to make the soldier a sniper... he won't ever be as good as the hunter, can't make the siren "the tank" ect.) And the level "perks..." useful but not really necessary. I used them (and the class mods) mostly to regen health and ammo so I didn't have to bother buying health and ammo. And that was just to avoid the extra travel time and hassle, money was pointless too. None of these things have changed or improved (so far anyway.) I played as Roland in the original, and I felt robbed by the perks. One of the weapon types I have perks for is shotgun??? How lame is that? Halfway thru the 1st playthru I already had a volcano and an orion. I never had to get close enough to anything for a shotgun to be effective. If one or the other rifle wasn't effective enough the havoc I carried shredded whatever was left at "medium" range. So one whole class was 1/2 as effective with perks as the others, but could still easily solo the whole game... perks were never needed.

But why did I buy it? Yay for splitscreen local multiplayer. Most devs will never, ever include splitscreen. Or they tone it down to a "arena" mode. And as long as Borderlands continues to include multiplayer splitscreen... count me in. It's great fun with friends (and booze.)

Denamic:

Would it help your anticipation any if I told you you get to fight Bonerfarts and Bonertoots early on in the game?

Vanitas likes Bubbles:

Goofguy:

And if we hated the first one, what would it be like for us people?

Anyway, from all the previews it seems to have gotten ridden of all the shit I hated from the first one. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow :D

That I can not say. I'm too biased towards liking the game to give you such a fair assessment.

It also depends on what you disliked from the first one. If you hated the style/combat/characters/humour well then you're shit out of luck because they're all back in spades. If you hated the loot management/interface/lack of customization, those have been improved.

Chaosweaver:

Article:
after all, Borderlands 2 is essentially its predecessor in nearly every measurable way

I think the author meant to say 'successor'.

No, he meant predecessor.

How could BL2 be it's own successor? It's BL1s successor, but what he's saying is that that BL2 is just like it's predecessor.

.... I think those words got repeated one too many times.

OT: I really want this game now, but I've already pre ordered Torchlight 2 with the guys I played the first BL with. I don't think any of us could afford to buy another coop timesink when Torchlight 2 is literally just about to come out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here