Escapist Expo: Gaming and Mental Health

Gaming and Mental Health

Audio Only Dr. Mark Kline is a clinical psychologist with over 20 years of experience who currently works for the Human Relation Service. He also writes The Escapist column Ask Dr. Mark that responds to various videogame related queries. Videogames have becoming increasingly more entrenched in our daily lives through the last several decades, so it's no surprise that they have a number of ramifications, both good and bad. Gaming addiction, online relationships and dissociation through gaming are just a small sampling, and Dr. Mark will examine how gaming affects our mental health.

Watch Video

One of the most interesting panels at the Expo imo. My girlfriend's the one who asked the first question! :D

I talked to Dr. Mark for a bit after the panel. Really smart guy.

One hour and two minutes of my life well spent. Thanks Dr. Mark.

That was just downright lovely to listen to. Makes me wish he`d do "Ask Doctor Mark" in this format, as well! I mean, he has a very nice voice and all.

I feel bad for not having noticed Dr. Mark's work here on the Escapist before. Thankfully, that mistake has now been rectified.

Fappy:
One of the most interesting panels at the Expo imo. My girlfriend's the one who asked the first question! :D

What was the turnout like? I get this feeling from the audio track that he didn't quite attract the same size of audience as the Q & A sessions did...

AntiChrist:
I feel bad for not having noticed Dr. Mark's work here on the Escapist before. Thankfully, that mistake has now been rectified.

Fappy:

What was the turnout like? I get this feeling from the audio track that he didn't quite attract the same size of audience as the Q & A sessions did...

I didn't go to the Q&A panel so I wouldn't know how big it was, but the room for this panel was probably 70% filled. Not as big as the others I went to, but still plenty of people.

Fappy:
-snip-

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for the reply!

Oh yeah, that was a great experience to listen to. I really like Dr. Mark and I kinda felt sad for him while watching all the other videos where he mostly sat silently but this really made my day. I am sure that Mark also had a great time having that much audience for himself :P

This was really nice listning too. Made me feel good and I would say more secure about my gaming habits.

well that was very interesting
thank you for inserting information Dr. Mark

This was honestly amazing to listen to.

Pound for pound this was the best video i've seen on the Escapist since I signed up 08'. These were HEAVY questions you poised yourself and accepted from the crowd and you never side-stepped ANY of them (with the exception of the Yahtzee one but that was lolz ;) ). All answers were complete including references and met or exceeded the scope of the questions and that's very very rare to see especially on the major topics. Run, hide or leave it in the shallow grey should practically be most people's mottoes.

Against propaganda i'd take you as an ammo clip any day :)

If i'd change anything:
I think there was already enough information to imply this but you mentioned games are a beautiful outlet for the natural aggression in humans and help provide some of our most basic needs... A girl asked about the abuse visited on "newbs" and based on what you've said it's obvious to me that this abuse is just another aggression relief and basic need satisfier (ego, social status, ect) and that's an additional reason why some people play. Granted it's predatory, cruel and should be abolished by communities but the chat box is a game in itself and all your for-mentioned rules apply. This was a mini-full circle moment for me and just thought mentioning that would help out as an optional extra if you get that question again.

Thanks Dr. Mark, the passion, the fun, the knowledge and the humility really came through and made this great.

Like everyone else said. Very good. Should have been longer.

RebsA:
I really like Dr. Mark and I kinda felt sad for him while watching all the other videos where he mostly sat silently but this really made my day.

I thought the Love video was a lot better with him there, while not being able to talk about gaming journalism or some other stuff, he truly made me laugh with some of his phrases, and I loved that he was in other panels. This recording would have been 3 hours long and I would have listened to it with a smile on my face. The only thing I wish was that there was video from the panel instead of just audio.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here