Escapist Expo: Everything You Wanted to Know About D&D Next

Everything You Wanted to Know About D&D Next

Audio Only. The team at Wizards of the Coast is busy hammering out the design of D&D Next, offering up new material for playtests and soliciting feedback from fans. To help them out getting some of that feedback, we've got author and Wizards of the Coast designer James Wyatt on hand to answer all your questions and give you the chance to tell him what you think should be in the next edition of Dungeons & Dragons.

Watch Video

Poor James. I feel like he might get some flack when he gets back to work for airing all of the DnD teams dirty laundry.

D&D 3.5e is the best and always will be.

Fuck you, spell plague.

Having been playing Next, I have to say that I like it quite a bit. They really went back to 2nd and 3rd Edition roots to try and make the classes feel and play differently, unlike the homogenized crap that was 4th. Removing the bloated skill lists and actually making ability modifiers worth a damn again is a god-send. I also like what they did with the Fighter, those expertise dice make him a freakin' badass without making him a wizard clone (again I look to you, 4th edition).

It's going to be interesting over the next few months to see what else they roll out.

Also:

Sseth:

Fuck you, spell plague.

Yeah, fuck that noise. The few times I played 4th in Faerun, we just ignored the new setting and went back to the unfucked version. Seriously WoTC, you had Eberron for your apocalypse world, why mess with the Realms?

JaredXE:

Yeah, fuck that noise. The few times I played 4th in Faerun, we just ignored the new setting and went back to the unfucked version. Seriously WoTC, you had Eberron for your apocalypse world, why mess with the Realms?

Sometimes, having gone through what we called "The New Error" in GDWs Traveller RPG, I think it's because they can. More seriously, I think they had a very difficult time making The Forgotten Realms fit into 4E's rules. I skipped 4E and stayed with 3.5 (and PF) because I would have had to totally re-do my homebrew campaign setting. I think the spell plague was their version of that. I'm not a big Realms fan and I haven't kept up with 4E but it seems to fit.

Sorry, but these types of role playing games to be played on a table top, really piss me off. You are making fun a chore, and when you don't make things simple, you are working against 'fun'.

I was at a loss when the dev said 'teefling' instead of 'tiefling'.But hey, what do I know, I only started playing this game back in 1992. I feel like over a decade of my life was just stolen from me...

I liked the IDEA of the Spellplague, which was making FR a super high magic crazytown fantasy world with flying islands and sentient crystals and shit, rather than your generic tolkeinesque middlefantasy of dwarves and elves.

What I didn't like was the hamfisted way it was shoehorned in, and good god killing Mystra AGAIN?

JaredXE:
Having been playing Next, I have to say that I like it quite a bit. They really went back to 2nd and 3rd Edition roots to try and make the classes feel and play differently, unlike the homogenized crap that was 4th. Removing the bloated skill lists and actually making ability modifiers worth a damn again is a god-send. I also like what they did with the Fighter, those expertise dice make him a freakin' badass without making him a wizard clone (again I look to you, 4th edition).

It's going to be interesting over the next few months to see what else they roll out.

Also:

Sseth:

Fuck you, spell plague.

Saying Eberron is an 'apocalypse world' is like saying Chernobyl and Madagascar makes our earth an apocalyptic state. It has a fallout area and inhospitable wilderness areas.

When I hear people say 'there's no role-playing in 4th' I hear 'I choose not to roleplay in fourth' Since I have yet to play any P&P game (of which I've played dozens over 20+ years) where roleplaying was not possible. It's up to the players to do that, not mechanics.

That being said I probably had the most fun with 3.5 of all D&D editions I've played. Though I really like the 4th ed system for Gamma World (which is GW 7th ed)

TsunamiWombat:

I was at a loss when the dev said 'teefling' instead of 'tiefling'.

But hey, what do I know, I only started playing this game back in 1992.

I feel like over a decade of my life was just stolen from me...

Okay I'm just going to say, in the English language it's usually excepted that an if two vowels are in a row it makes the second vowel a long one while the first is silent. Haven't you ever heard "The first vowel does the walking while the second does the talking?" Unless tiefling is based on some other language (which I'm pretty sure it's not since it's a made up word by people who speak English) 'tee-fling' would be the correct pronunciation. I've only been playing this game since 1990 in dozens of different parts of the USA and even on other continents.
Never once heard it pronounced any way OTHER than tee-fling. AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDD last but not least in the dragon annual that was released for 3.5 (can't recall the exact title) they had a pronunciation guide for tough d&d words. Teifling being among them.

My favorite was duergar which I'd been having arguments over for a long time it's pronounced 'dew-er-gar'

ace_of_something:

TsunamiWombat:

I was at a loss when the dev said 'teefling' instead of 'tiefling'.

But hey, what do I know, I only started playing this game back in 1992.

I feel like over a decade of my life was just stolen from me...

Okay I'm just going to say, in the English language it's usually excepted that an if two vowels are in a row it makes the second vowel a long one while the first is silent. Haven't you ever heard "The first vowel does the walking while the second does the talking?" Unless tiefling is based on some other language (which I'm pretty sure it's not since it's a made up word by people who speak English) 'tee-fling' would be the correct pronunciation. I've only been playing this game since 1990 in dozens of different parts of the USA and even on other continents.
Never once heard it pronounced any way OTHER than tee-fling. AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDD last but not least in the dragon annual that was released for 3.5 (can't recall the exact title) they had a pronunciation guide for tough d&d words. Teifling being among them.

My favorite was duergar which I'd been having arguments over for a long time it's pronounced 'dew-er-gar'

Wrong person was quoted here...

Anyways, the walls of reality have crashed down upon my fragile psyche. Next thing you know, people will call it Maylay instead of melee.

lol

Great panel. I was actually astounded by the level of honesty and openness here.

Agree with those who spurn the spellplague. I read the new edition of Forgotten Realms, said "feck that," and stuck with the previous edition.

Good to hear them admit that the adventures of 3E(and I guess 4E too, though skipped the edition) kind of sucked. Adventures don't sell badly(seems that Paizo has been doing well enough with them, anyway). Bad adventures sell badly.

I Have many a question on how it will work out. And considering I'm making a comic on deviant art based on a mash-up of 3.5/Pathfinder rules and flavor with My little Pony... The biggest thing I want to know is if the workings of NEXT will be able to add anything to it.

The game rules and flavor (and to some extent, setting books) inspire the story of my comic. So what I need from NEXT is something I can use to create a more detailed world, more stuff for the characters to do... Etc, Etc.

I'm having a hard time saying exactly what I need, so let me explain through listing what I've got planned so far (spoiler-ed Cause long and irrelevant):

If D&D NEXT can give me anywhere near that number of ideas, then it has succeed.

And really, the best chances it has of doing that is "Class Archetypes", some new base classes, a big ass bestiary, a few setting books, rules for Deities that walk the earth, and a whole heap of Magic items that do awesome stuff (some of which cursed), and options for non-magical creators of powerful items such as constructs.

That last one I am very serious about: I didn't want Applebloom to be a wizard, but it was the only way it would work. And in order to get that to work, I had to Give her Arcane Guns to work the magic for her, otherwise it would break the "Earth ponies can't cast Arcane Magic under normal circumstances" rule. Thankfully, there was a Wizard Archetype for that.

Yeah, I know that Bard and Alchemist count as Arcane to some extent, but that's different: Alchemist uses Magic Drugs, and Bard uses music that warps the fabric of reality. Neither of which count as "Normal circumstances".

Anyways, here are a few minor things I'd live to see looked at (Spoilered for Length reasons):

Oh gosh, this took way too long.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here