No Right Answer: Best Kevin Smith Film Ever

Pages PREV 1 2

Boudica:
I'm the only person that's never heard of Kevin Smith? Boy do I feel like a loser.

Holy shit, Bou. You've nearly got a higher post count than me now!

Do you ever do anything besides comment here? :-P

snd_dsgnr:
Does anyone else get the same vibe from people saying Clerks is Smith's best work that you get from people who drop bands they previously liked as soon as they get any kind of mainstream success?

Not really, no - plenty of bands peak with their first album and spend a long time trying to live up to it. Have The Killers even bettered their debut? Did RAtM (much as I love Evil Empire) ever outdo their eponymous album? Even Led Zeppelin, who are utterly fantastic and can do no wrong, probably had their strongest album the first time out.

The same goes for some film-makers. In Smith's case, immediately after making his best film, he started lowering his standards. Sure Clerks has crude jokes, but they at least had more to them than "hey, look, a dick! Those are inherently funny!". His work gradually got worse over the years, though Clerks 2 was enjoyable just because of Randall and how horrible of a person he is.

SonicWaffle:

Boudica:
I'm the only person that's never heard of Kevin Smith? Boy do I feel like a loser.

Holy shit, Bou. You've nearly got a higher post count than me now!

Do you ever do anything besides comment here? :-P

I'd like to say I do, but I'd just be lying to myself lolol

Clerks, but Dogma would be a close second, then Mallrats: The Directors Cut(Seriously it like watching a different movie)

Anyone else feel like the cuts to the images were way too fast and more frequent than previous episodes?

Swyftstar:
I always loved Mallrats. Jason Lee is hysterical in that movie.

Im with you Brethren. I love Clerks, Clerks II, Chasing Amy, Dogma. The film Ive watched most though?

Mallrats. Its just laugh out loud funny. Jason Lee runs away with the whole movie, his timing and delivery is awesome and we would have no My name is Earl without it.

Did anyone else notice they're taking an awful long time to drink their waters in this episode?

I have seen them all except Cop Out & Red State, and my personal favorite has to be Mall Rats.

Unlike Clerks, Mall Rats is all the ranting with over-the-top recklessness which makes it more entertaining to me.

Was anyone else disappointed by this episode? The Dogma argument had about 4 sentences while the clerks argument was about 80% of the whole video. Very imbalanced and if they aren't going to do it well they shouldn't post it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here