GinxTV: Hands On Dust 514

Hands On Dust 514

See how EVE Online is going to interact with your console.

Watch Video

Really gives off the Battlefield 2142 vibe.
That is certainly not a bad thing.
I for one hope it is everything they want it to be. And that includes adding an invigorating rush of new players to EVE.

Damn... Now I REALLY wish that I had a PS3 right about now. Oh well, here's to hoping that all goes well in the future for this eccentric experiment.

This video is actually pretty fair to CCP, the controls aren't the best and it is clear the CCP hasn't done an FPS before. All that said there are some really interesting ideas in play for Dust 514 and it would be a damn shame if people wrote it off before it got off the ground.

As an Eve Player I can tell you that the one thing CCP isn't afraid to do is change the game. While games like WoW have not evolved significantly away from their initial formula at launch Eve Online has, the original game I played in 2003 is almost completely unrecognizable compared to today iteration of Eve and that isn't simply because of the awesome graphical upgrades we have gotten either.

So yes Dust isn't perfect but there are a lot of interesting stuff there to play with. So pick it up play it and give some feed back on what you'd like to see. Who knows maybe you'll be on Dusts first CSM and find yourself on a jet to Iceland.

Many of the problems pointed out in that video can be fixed, and are being worked on right now. At the moment the beta testers are, well, beta testing. Finding out bugs and discovering where imbalances are so they can be fixed.

I can't really say much about the beta myself as we're all under NDA and I don't want to get kicked, but let's just say it's improving all the time and new things are being added and improved. In time this game will be pretty awesome.

Very good coverage, I enjoyed this little preview, looking forward to this game as well.

I'm not gonna lie, I am seriously tempted to buy a PS3 for just this game. Eve has always existed in a weird place for me. I keep going back to it, and every time I do, I have a tonne of fun, but it's a game I simply don't have the time to become truly invested into. My big hope is that Dust 514 will add a new element to the game, one that someone like myself, who -loves- Eve, but simply can't get into it, can use to still be a part of the universe, without having to devote years of my life to train up the skills I need to play with the big dogs.

im an EVE veteran and tbh this doesnt really work been in the beta and it just doesnt feel right, even excluding eve from the picture as an fps it doesnt feel like a normal fps it feels old and clunky just not right but thats my opinion im used to screwing people over n being a space dick lol it doesnt even feel like EVE tbh because its TOO futurey eve had that mechanical feel like everything was dark and dirty not a futuristic ideal, dust is just too shiny eve players will probably get what i mean

Combat does feel a bit clumsy...from what I've seen, this is at least partially intended. It's still being worked on, but I think the endgame is to have a full agility skill tree that governs response time, movement, jumping, etc, and they're still trying to balance that all out.

I really feel that they should have gone to a more experienced fps maker for their star product, or put out a couple of games to prepare themselves for it because if this doesn't do well, then the ship will sink.
BUT I could be totally wrong. I hope I am. I know that when this comes out, I'll be buying and playing it.

Meh I'll be playing Planetside 2 since they are bringing Dust out on the fastly dying consoles since people are finally figuring out you can buy a mid grade gaming PC for around $700

Double post I apologise

Hawk of Battle:
Many of the problems pointed out in that video can be fixed, and are being worked on right now. At the moment the beta testers are, well, beta testing. Finding out bugs and discovering where imbalances are so they can be fixed.

I can't really say much about the beta myself as we're all under NDA and I don't want to get kicked, but let's just say it's improving all the time and new things are being added and improved. In time this game will be pretty awesome.

Honestly, I hope Dust 514 will be a huge success and a great game. The idea of having PS3 players change Eve Online and vise versa is exciting.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here