Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil Retribution

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Why make another Resident Evil movie? It should have ended with the second one (with the helicopter being blown up, not the weird ending with the 'I can kill you through a video camera' stare). Resident Evil was never about slow-mo action scenes. It was about survival horror and well, the train has left and station and went off the bridge into a chasm into the fifth dimension of torment. Thank you and good night.

What else I'm going to do this weekend?
Ehm watch the "new" movies that is just coming out, Brave was about 3 weeks ago (<-yes I'm serious 3 months late) and Ted is this weekend does that tell you anything?... Oh and Paranorman is out this weekend to, just to make your brain even less able to understand the complex screen schedule they have here... And yea 98% or so of the people around here understand English good->native....

But it seems like I were smart skipping RE.
'Cus I'm already set for a marathon of Paranorman, Lawless and Ted tomorrow in a row... So I'm going to have fun :)

I recall MovieBob saying at one of the Escapist Expo panels that he wasn't going to review this movie because he was at the expo. I guess that was a joke.

To the 'Alice is more interesting than any characters in the games' bit, I would argue that Leon is more interesting. He's not the deepest character there is, but you can relate to him and you kind of feel bad as he just seems to be in the 'wrong place wrong time' scenario. If anything, I think he is fun to watch and just sort of a badass without being overly cocky about it (like some of the other characters in the series have been.)

LobsterFeng:
I recall MovieBob saying at one of the Escapist Expo panels that he wasn't going to review this movie because he was at the expo. I guess that was a joke.

Yes, I distinctly remember that, too. Something along the lines of, "I'm thankful that I'm here on this panel so that I don't have to go see the latest Resident Evil movie."

Bob: What the heck?

I saw spinners on a car in that movie. No amount of meh will save spinners.

My biggest problem with these movies is how little a threat the zombies always become. Only in the second film and the one before this last one did there ever erupt a scene where the zombies overwhelmed everyone.

And even then it was usually just ONE scene. I mean seriously? The games you were generally running around looking for items/people... WHILE running from zombies. Instead they take on Capcoms horrible "Evil boogeyman super-powerful organization, even though the whole world is pretty much shit now" storyline... And try to spin it by... Well... Kind of just adding a chick with super powers who loses those powers, gains those powers, loses them again, has a bunch of clones, and then... Gains those powers... Again.

There's plenty to hate, but the series has been pretty good with the scenes where the zombies were the main bad-guys... Considering they're usually barely in the films... I guess that explains why they're so shit.

Long story short: if you like your action movies to be good (i.e. to have some level of artistic merit) or have any kind of emotional resonance, go see Dredd. If you want to see an action movie but are hyper squeamish and/or the very idea of sexual violence against women makes you foam at the mouth in a bad way, Resident Evil is probably your only other real option.

Edit: Almost forgot: End of Watch. Man, there really isn't a reason to see Resident Evil this weekend.

So, are the other characters allowed to do awesome crap alongside Alice or are they relegated to useless bystanders whenever she's around again?

Also, no Bob. I'm afraid Alice is not that interesting. She's a pretty poorly done Mary Sue from what I can tell, and honestly I'm getting more than a little sick of it. The other characters might as well not exist for all that Alice can do. (With, or without the powers.)

Still, at least they gave a reason for the world NOT being a dried out husk like it was in the third movie. That was REALLY bothering me in the trailers.

...wait... they're doing a Guardians of the Galaxy mocvie?

WITH Groot and Rocket Raccoon?!

Jeez, it's like as DC gets more and more embarrassed about making comic-booky movies, Marvel's embracing it.

captcha: cats and dogs. But not raccoons.

So.....dynasty warriors style zombie killing game.....starring Alice. Would make sense.

The Residental Evil films occupy such a weird space. They pretty bad, they don't sell particularly well.. but people kinda don't hate it enough to not see it and it doesn't not make enough to make another one not worth while

Also an Alice RE game would be really fun. Since they aren't going to do survival horror, a nice jacked up superheroine rule of cool game would be quite an interesting thing to do. Better than Chris 'muscles' Redfield and RE6

McMarbles:
...wait... they're doing a Guardians of the Galaxy mocvie?

WITH Groot and Rocket Raccoon?!

Jeez, it's like as DC gets more and more embarrassed about making comic-booky movies, Marvel's embracing it.

captcha: cats and dogs. But not raccoons.

Yup, and if they do Rocket anywhere similar to how he was presented in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, it promises to be AWESOME1

Metalix Knightmare:
I'm afraid Alice is not that interesting. She's a pretty poorly done Mary Sue from what I can tell, and honestly I'm getting more than a little sick of it. The other characters might as well not exist for all that Alice can do. (With, or without the powers.)

Alice isn't really a "character". She's more of a way for Paul W. S. Anderson to tell everyone "Hey, look how hot Milla Jovovich is. I'm married to her, you know. Boink her every night."

Geez, i don't understand why people are getting so upitty about the RE movies. Yeah the story and writting is horrible (Duh). Yeah The characters are bland and generic, and yeah they try and rip every monster out from the games. But then the wailing masses of offended fanboys go moaning all the way to the theaters were they gladly hand the ticket clerk all the money in there wallets. Hey, if you think it's "crap", don't watch it. Don't be a hippocrite. If you do want to watch it, go watch it. Because really people, You're slandering a movie series over the internet. That won't accomplish to put a single dent in Paul Anderson's wallet.

I myself don't "Enjoy" the fun and cheesy goo that is the RE movie's story, but i do sure as hell enjoy the action. I gotta admit, the CGI in this flim was pretty good. The big o'l CGI monsters this film sure do look alot better than the licker in the first one. Most of all, i think the RE films should be considered grindhouse films. Cheesy story, completely unrealistic god-like action scenes, but it has above average, visualy stimulating fights and action scenes.

Screw you guys. I enjoyed them all.

*Reaches for brain's on switch*

Mr. Omega:
"When is Capcom going to let us actually play as Alice?"

You know, if impressions of the Resi 6 demo are anything to go by... maybe Capcom doesn't have much to lose at least considering that option. If they're going to go into action game territory as opposed to heading back to survival horror, maybe introducing Alice could make things more fun...

Also: I can't wait for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Place your bets, folks! Will they introduce any of the aliens species of Marvel? How likely will it be we'll at least hear a mention of the names "Kree", "Skrull" or "Shi'ar"?

I would love for that to happen but Kree and Shi'ar are under the X-men lisence I think and I know that Skrull is under the Fantastic Four lisence because Joss Whedon wanted to use them in The Avengers instead of the Chitauri.

I've never been able to articulate why I stopped caring that these films had little to do with the games and just starting loving them but I think Bob just summed it up.

Plus I love Milla, she can actually hold a movie together, and always enjoyed viewing these as a fun, dumb, interesting Elseworlds Story-esque version of the Resi canon.

Also these movies get major props for somehow mking Wesker even dumber and more amazingly terrible than RE5 did. That's an achievement. Cannot WAIT for this movie. :D

You know, personally, I thought that the first Resident Evil game really DID have a pretty good story. It did a really great job of keeping an aura of eeriness and mystery, and when the solutions were finally revealed it was legitimately exciting and shocking. The later games' stories weren't that great, though.

I thought the first and third RE movies weren't that bad, either, but whatever. I knew this was going to blow before it was even announced.

Ah yes. The Resident Evil games don't have a good story, but a comic book involving a talking raccoon will be defended by Bob as having a rich, complex story... While I know Bob hates the the 'bias argument,' I would appreciate it if Bob just admitted he doesn't like Resident Evil to begin with. I mean, it's not like he's not open about his complete Nintendo bias, and that's fine with me...annoying though it was I had to be reminded yet again about Bayonetta 2.

Bob, I am dissapoint. You preface this review by mentioning a movie that people have reliably informed you is good but that you weren't able to see yet, then close by saying that there's little good to see in September so we might as well see this average/not-bad movie, not quite contradicting yourself but it does come close.

While the games don't have a brilliant storyline, I'll gladly take them over the hollow, empty shell of a story that is the Resident evil movies.

I know it's not a great movie, but I'll still watch it. I watched and enjoyed the previous ones. Sometimes I just want to watch a braindead action movie, with hot actresses. Resident evil is that to me. I like how Rodriguez is back as well.

flare100:
While the games don't have a brilliant storyline, I'll gladly take them over the hollow, empty shell of a story that is the Resident evil movies.

Well said, well said, i completelly agree

artanis_neravar:
Adam Warlock was on of the original Guardians, any chance they will use this movie to introduce him?

EDIT:
Thor: The Dark World - Reality Gem
Iron Man 3 - Power Gem
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Time Gem
Guardians of the Galaxy - Space Gem
Adam Warlock - Soul Gem
Avengers 2 - Mind Gem/Infinity Gauntlet

My prediction on where the Infinity Gems will show up

Considering the assembled gauntlet was already seen in the background of the first Thor, I'm betting against this prediction.

RO
KET
RA
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Korskarn:

artanis_neravar:
Adam Warlock was on of the original Guardians, any chance they will use this movie to introduce him?

EDIT:
Thor: The Dark World - Reality Gem
Iron Man 3 - Power Gem
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Time Gem
Guardians of the Galaxy - Space Gem
Adam Warlock - Soul Gem
Avengers 2 - Mind Gem/Infinity Gauntlet

My prediction on where the Infinity Gems will show up

Considering the assembled gauntlet was already seen in the background of the first Thor, I'm betting against this prediction.

Just because there are gems in the gauntlet doesn't mean that they are the infinity gems. Do you really think that Odin would keep the item that could cause the entirety of the nine realms fully assembled?

I just got back from seeing this. I liked it. Fun little action movie. Movie Bob has it right in that it feels like someone just wanted to do their own fanfic and turn it into a movie. Each character that shows up, Resident Evil fans will already know what's going to happen to them. Please note: if someone is walking slowly toward you with a chainsaw, moving out of the way is better than just standing there.
The last two minutes of the film though. When it starts zooming out. Oh man...I can't wait to see that movie. It's going to be amazing if they do it right. Which is, all out war please. No major plot stuff.

Your last after-credits bit made me picture Bayonetta and Mario schtupping!
Why would you do that to me?
I can't un-see that!

For one reason or another, I wasn't able to watch this until 2:03am Saturday. I wasn't planning on watching Resi-5 and according to Film Brain over on TGWTG, Dreadd 3D is good but overly reminiscent of The Raid: Redemption in that most of the film takes place within an apartment complex. I did go to the movies a few hours ago though! I and my girlfriend watched Finding Nemo in 3D. Totally worth it even though I cried 3 times...I mean, not at all.

Great review as always Bob! You were quieter than I was expecting at those panels and it's too bad I couldn't have been there...

lOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPERlOOPER

[ahem] Looper looks insanely good and is mostly getting rave reviews. I guess I'll wait until next week to go to the movies. I had been kinda interested in RE just because of game love and the commercials finally made it look like it had decent production values, but I guess the explosions/monsters can't make up for act that is THAT bad.

This movie made my brain cells shrivel up and die. The best part of the film was Ada Wong. Li Bingbing was terrible at acting, but goddamn she looked amazing.

Alice is a better main character? That's a good joke, ANYBODY from the games is better than Alice, who has no personality, she exists to do whatever the writer wants.

Quick question, why is she doing any of this? In the previous movies her motivation was: it was her job (first movie), she wanted to escape (second movie), revenge I think? That's the closest I could get (third), and no reason (fourth).

One thing I don't get is the absurd amounts of stupid things that can happen in these movies that people seem to let slide, like the bombs that change how big their explosions are (by that I mean there are two identical bombs, ones explosion is the size of a closet but only causes cables to snap, the other blows up 50 feet but doesn't destroy any objects), the quarter firing shotgun that needs no reloading or gunpowder, and the constant resetting of the previous movie, every consecutive movie undoes what the previous movie did.

Not that I or anyone should care but this is actually the fifth Resident Evil film, not the fourth haha. I know because sadly I watched the previous 4 and have vague recolections of the things that happened in each.

ANImaniac89:
I've always disliked the Resident Evil films but for some reason I keep seeing them.

lol, you are not the only one. for some reason i just wanted to see it and i did. i just hope the next RE movie will be the last one as anderson said.

i have no complaints about milla. besides looking hot she does a good ass kicking performance that at least keeps up throughout the movie.
the only character that bothered me was ada. she was so emotional and trustworthy. what happened to this cheerful, backstabbing bitch we know from the games???
besides some good fight scenes and the cool music at the beginning of the movie, the movie still is bad but a watchable bad movie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here