Moviebob's Re-Tales

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

My favorite is Sailor Mercury!

I watched that show every chance I got, but I was the only boy I knew who watched it. Heck, I was the only person I knew who watched it. As such, I had to tape it and wait until no one was around. When my uncle found out that i watched the show, he teased me about it so much. Wish I had known someone like you back when I was a kid. Nowadays, I have two friends who are as crazy, if not more so, as I am about Sailor Moon. People seem more accepting of 'outside of gender shows' now than when I was younger. Good save for the dad in the story.

What's salor moon? I only ever watched dragon ballz.

I never really got into sailor moon, but i fell totally in love with Magic Knight Rayearth... even if I do strongly prefer the manga to anime

I think that you should try to vary the 2. if there is no clear talking point for the week (standard intermission stuff) then put in some stories.

maybe if you have a few interesting topical stories you could maybe through them together as a big picture.

though I would still like to see you talk about some of the more "traditional" intermissions as well.

The Sailor Moon one actually made me quite miserable. Well both did, but the latter one in particular. I'm glad it panned out okay, but I don't think there is any stopping the "I hope to God my son ain't a pansy" angst the guy seemed to be suffering from.

Keep getting an urge to watch King of the Hill, all of a sudden.

Good stuff Bob! Keep it up! BTW the PSY Dance you guys did on the fly was the best part of the convention videos- I wish I could have been there! Gangnam Style FTW!

MovieBob:
Moviebob's Re-Tales

MovieBob reminisces about his years working retail before he started reviewing films.

Read Full Article

**grin**

That Sailor Moon story was heartwarming. I'm glad you talked the Dad into being cool with it.

And as someone who owns all of those Sailor Moon DVDs, many purchased from a store in that was probably of the same franchise, yes, that was a mighty sale.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot - I liked the personal story thing. Keep em coming!

MovieBob:
Moviebob's Re-Tales

MovieBob reminisces about his years working retail before he started reviewing films.

Read Full Article

While I was life guarding for a certain nonprofit health and fitness organization I was approached by someone in maintenance who told me that they would be working on the pumps and if the chlorine levels rose that I should just leave the pool open and come find them. I was the only guard on duty that day so I couldn't leave and federal law mandates that if the chlorine level reaches a certain point I am obligated to close the pool 'till they are brought under control. That's exactly what I did. About an hour later my boss shows up (she had the day off) and tells me that I should have listened to the maintenance person and kept the pool open. After I explained my position (that if anything happened to some in the pool I would be the one to lose my job and I would be the one facing a lawsuit, not the person from maintenance) after which my boss agreed with me. However the maintenance person pushed for my termination, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was one good terms with the other guards, and the my boss loved me (I always picked up any shift that was needed, sometimes working the entire 5am-9pm day, and was always calm and collected when angry parents were screaming at me) I would have been fired. So yeah jobs like that can suck. alot.

I can sympathize with you bob. I work at a theater and I got torn up for not offering more large popcorns and drinks when we already had a packed lobby. I understand giving the customer what they want. We also get concerned parents in about different films as well. It'll be interesting tomorrow with dredd. Mwahahahaha!!!!!

Why on Earth would I pick a favorite Sailor Scout? They ALL have so much going for them! I guess if I had to choose It'd be a toss up between Lita and Rei.

Anyway, those were pretty good stories Bob. Glad you shared them with us. That second one in particular was rather heartwarming all things be told.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to Google image search some...individuals...

I enjoyed reading both of those stories Bob, they remind me of my time in retail, well the first one more than the second one. My first retail experience was at a preppy clothing store that invited the most vapid customers/ employees and had horrible music and I had to deal with a lot of situations like your first one, usually regarding my facial hair or choice of clothing. My job at a certain defunct video rental store I had a few moments where I got to recommend a movie to someone and have them come back a few days later declaring me their new movie-recommendation guy, but I also had more than one customer return a movie on the grounds that it was foreign.

I'm surprised that with the second story, you didn't bring up "The Show that Must Not be Named". It does prove that liking something that's supposedly not meant for one's gender is not a new idea.

I've never seen Sailor Moon, partly because I live in Australia and anime DVDs are a pretty rare commodity down here. This just reminded me it was around...Thing is, I don't have any nostalgia for that time or that genre of anime. At all. So...

I liked this, and would like to see more.
Mental image past Movie Bob stories have a lot of incomprehensibly thick Boston accents.

Aw Bob, that was heartwarming.

Good stories man I wish I could say the same. The only retail stories I recall is the bad scenarios.

I remember this one Labor day weekend at video vault or some other chain, just me and a co-worker. We never once left the register. On a normal day we pull 1-3k but this day by noon it was 5K+, thats how bad it was.

So anyway pretty late at night around 7-9pm I've about 25 people in line(no exaggeration)and this lady comes up. I'd been in good spirits actually because the day had gone by quickly a smoothly despite and because of how busy it was.

So it's all "hey how are you, oh I like that one" etc etc until as I'm scanning her card the account pops up with $265 in late fees and what not. I show her and explain that I can't rent to her unless the fees are paid. She says "no no, thats my son not me I'll make sure he pays it". It clearly was teenager games and movies but I literally could not. The system won't let me and shes tied to the account theres no making her a new one. I explain that she's outa luck unless she pays it.

At this point the people behind her are getting restless. She looks around and immediately throws a tantrum calling me names and what not. I assume she thought that making a scene was gonna get me to lay over to get her out of the store. It was not. There was no magic key for overriding $265.

So I look around at all the people behind her, my good day laid quietly to rest and loudly but politely stated :

"Look ma'm there is now 45 people waiting behind you. I don't have the time or energy to play this out with you. You have 5 seconds to get the fuck out of my store or I'm calling the cops"

I didn't wait I started dialing. For minimum wage I could care less what happened to me. She bolted. I casually swung my arm out knocking all her videos on the floor behind me.

I shit you not cheers went up and I actually got applause from everyone in line. My good day returned. The rest of the night went smoothly. No one even questioned their late fees though I did see a couple people duck out of line and leave without their movies :D.

I quit shortly after. Man you can not believe the stress of working in a video rental chain. Now you understand why all the workers are usually High.

That second story reminds me of the time I tried to convince my dad that MLP is a good show. If only it had such a simple explanation...

Anyway, like everyone else is saying, these are awesome. You have a way with words, Bob, and you seem to have led an interesting life. Combining the two is a sure way to hold my attention, that's for sure.

Fun read, Bob, and having done my own time in retail I can certainly empathize. By all means give us some more.

Oh wow, those were great stories. Especially the second one. Good on ya bob. Definitely good advice. I can completely sympathize with growing up with a parent who doesn't quite understand your interests or passions, so... I feel you definitely did a good deed for that kid.

I wouldn't mind at all if you continued with these. I love anecdotes about retail, especially if they're as amusing or beautiful as these two.

I can imagine that during the Escapist Movie Night with MovieBob, people ranging from a little kid to Chris Pranger (Media Sandwich) would sit on your lap and think or even dare to ask, "Would you tell me a story, Bob?"

And maybe you even told them a story like one of these, and the person on your lap sat in childlike wonderment like you were Santa Claus. That's the kind of feeling I felt while reading this.

Man, this was probably one of the best Intermissions that I've ever read. As much as I liked the first story, the second really struck a chord with me. Man, I only wish younger me could have had someone like you when I was first starting to get into anime (granted I wasn't into Sailor Moon and most of the other gender crossing shows back then or even now for that matter) since my family didn't really understand why I was getting into these silly comics and cartoons from Japan. (As they called it) But hey, now that I have the internet, it's all good.

I hate to be that guy, but...

"...Wait." Says the guy.

should be "...Wait," says the guy.

Great column, though. You should do more of these.

Story one sounds like it may have come from a Circuit City. I've heard many tales from folks that worked at one. Many of those people didn't work there for long for reasons like in said story.

antidonkey:
Story one sounds like it may have come from a Circuit City. I've heard many tales from folks that worked at one. Many of those people didn't work there for long for reasons like in said story.

I believe Bob has already said once in one of his shows where he used to work. I think 2 of them were Circuit City and Blockbuster. Apparently, firing Bob brings bad luck to you.

I had been meaning to get around to this for a few days but I'm glad that I finally did - I really enjoyed this.

uneek:

antidonkey:

I believe Bob has already said once in one of his shows where he used to work. I think 2 of them were Circuit City and Blockbuster. Apparently, firing Bob brings bad luck to you.

Yea Bob has stated in The Big Picture Junk Drawer: Reloaded and Game Overthinker episode 72, that he's worked for at least 5 big retail chains, four of who are Blockbuster, Suncoast, Circuit City, and Borders. (I think the other one was Best Buy, but don't quote me on that)

I have to say, I really enjoyed that. Bob is quite the story-teller. The second one was very...heartwarming. Well done. Really well done.

After working retail last Christmas, I can sympathize with how tough it can be trying to sell video games to parents. Luckily, the store I worked at was pretty lenient with their sales policies and never seemed to care what they sold, as long as they sold it. Can't imagine working at any place Bob actually described. Guess he's lucky he got out when he did.

I can also relate to how good it can feel when you try to do some "good" in your job, even if all you are doing is selling junk. For instance, I was once able to convince a mom to buy her kid a copy of "Vanquish" rather than "Call of Duty" on the grounds that Vanquish was less violent. Also, every copy of Kirby I was able to sell made me feel like just a little bit better about my life.

For the first story, the simple reply would have been "Correction, Instead of selling him a $600 system that would have made the store maybe ten cents (video game consoles have next to no markup), I sold him a $300 system and a bunch of accessories that made the store at least $70, if not more (those sport attachment packages? Priced at 2-3 times cost.) So I saved him some money and made us more than had I simply given him what he originally came in for. Good decision in my eyes."

Why yes, I have had this discussion with a former manager myself, why do you ask?

As for the second story, I admit, I'm not sure if I would have taken the exact same approach as you, but probably along similar lines. But yeah, there's a fair bit of some of those earlier animes that didn't necessarily mean it's for one particular demographic exclusively.

Great article, Bob. Saw your comments on twitter about the Sailor Moon story before and thought it'd make an interesting anecdote. Turns out that was right. Keep more of 'em coming.

I won't mind more stories. The second one was a real feel-good tale, I'm gonna remember it for a long time.

The Great JT:
I liked Sailor Moon in my youth too, though I was more into Makoto.

I still like it (I'm a dude), and Haruka is a BADASS. Kind of a bitch, but a BADASS.

MovieBob:
Moviebob's Re-Tales

Read Full Article

I have a VERY good idea why you were pulled into that back room. Here in the UK i (Very briefly) filled in for someone at a gaming outlet around the time of "The first year of sales of the 7th gen console". It was explained to me, in no uncertain terms, that the Wiis sold so well at the store that i was basically to do everything in my power to get them to buy an Xbox 360 and especially a PS3. The Wiis needed no selling and since they couldn't move the PS3 systems (and actually made a higher markup on it) they wanted to try and shift it.

Your mangers should have explained this to you when you started the job (it's basically their fault), it's uncomfortable but its a fact of life that you may have to 'up-sell' a customer because of a stores bottom line. Surely someone saying to you "Hey bob, we make a higher markup on the PS3 and we have loads in stock, plus we have no trouble shifting the Wii so i want you to put your sales-man hat on and try and sell some PS3s". That's basically what i got told in my introductory briefing. Its not unreasonable.

Speaking as one of those many people who wasn't fond of the Wii "the fancy one" made me laugh so hard. The Wii was essentially a game-cube under the hood, so you did infact sell him an "old one" XD. Ahhhhh clueless consumers, i bet it got played for about 6 days...

Scrumpmonkey:

MovieBob:
Moviebob's Re-Tales

Read Full Article

I have a VERY good idea why you were pulled into that back room. Here in the UK i (Very briefly) filled in for someone at a gaming outlet around the time of "The first year of sales of the 7th gen console". It was explained to me, in no uncertain terms, that the Wiis sold so well at the store that i was basically to do everything in my power to get them to buy an Xbox 360 and especially a PS3. The Wiis needed no selling and since they couldn't move the PS3 systems (and actually made a higher markup on it) they wanted to try and shift it.

Your mangers should have explained this to you when you started the job (it's basically their fault), it's uncomfortable but its a fact of life that you may have to 'up-sell' a customer because of a stores bottom line. Surely someone saying to you "Hey bob, we make a higher markup on the PS3 and we have loads in stock, plus we have no trouble shifting the Wii so i want you to put your sales-man hat on and try and sell some PS3s". That's basically what i got told in my introductory briefing. Its not unreasonable.

Speaking as one of those many people who wasn't fond of the Wii "the fancy one" made me laugh so hard. The Wii was essentially a game-cube under the hood, so you did infact sell him an "old one" XD. Ahhhhh clueless consumers, i bet it got played for about 6 days...

Or for many years to come. You know, since the Wii was WAAYYYY more popular than the PS3 or 360, especially among kids (who were the intended players of that particular system Bob sold). And seeing how much more of a fuzz the Wii was compared to other systems back then, I think "fancy one" is a pretty accurate description.

Silverspetz:

Or for many years to come. You know, since the Wii was WAAYYYY more popular than the PS3 or 360, especially among kids (who were the intended players of that particular system Bob sold). And seeing how much more of a fuzz the Wii was compared to other systems back then, I think "fancy one" is a pretty accurate description.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then :P

I personally found the Wii very feature lite to the point of frustration. Perhaps the Wii-U can rectify that by making the online experience... lets just say tolerable and leave it at that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here