Escapist Podcast: 062: Expo Re-Cap!

062: Expo Re-Cap!

This week, we talk about preparing for the Escapist Expo, how we survived it, and give out ton of special thanks.

Watch Video

Meeting Janelle for the first time and her recognising me was mind blowing! I mean obviously we know who you guys are through staff videos like Nerf wars and such but for Janelle, Erik and Ma'idah to all recognise me without introducing myself was fantastic!

Casual Doctor Who chat with Susan was awesome! Also the Blue Coffee Cafe was great! We went there everyday at some point or another!

There's too much expo content! I haven't even finished listening to the expo podcast.

It's always cool when Janelle is on the podcast. Wish I could of gone to the expo.

Hey Susan, I know I can speak for Kapol and his friends (who are all very awesome people, and even gave me a ride back to my hotel!) that it was our pleasure to help you out after the Expo.

You looked dead when we got there, so if that's all we had to do, and free you up to do whatever, then right on.

Also, the concert was fucking amazing! I know Fappy and I were dancing and jumping around without a care in the world.

Best. Night. EVER!

Note to self: When I go to the next Expo, I must bring food for the staff, so they don't die.

Glad it went so well. You all deserved to have this go well!
I hope the next one doesn't make you all so stressed though.
Thanks for doing this!

Wish I had come. But alas I must lurk from New Jersey.

Mike if it makes you feel better I remember creepy crawlers.

Huh for some reason I always thought TimeLord was a girl. I don't know where I got that impression.

Yeah I love Dr.Mark so much as well.

I loved hearing about the stories about parents.

Imp Emissary:
Note to self: When I go to the next Expo, I must bring food for the staff, so they don't die.

I know exactly what you mean listing to their stories made me want to be their with a bandoleer or Gatorade and bag of biscuit or something similar.

Otherwise awesome podcast. Its great to hear that the event went so well, and it is always nice to hear how amazing the community is. So thanks for making my day.

I've been watching/listening to the panels all week and if there is another one I will definitely be coming, they just looked like so much fun. I really wish I didn't have to spend all my vacation money on fixing my car this summer, otherwise this would have been a worthwhile trip.

We love you guys and you're all awesome. Just thought I should let you know.

The Escapist Staff:
062: Expo Re-Cap!

This week, we talk about preparing for the Escapist Expo, how we survived it, and give out ton of special thanks.

Watch Video

As much as I love watching all the stuff from Yahtzee, MovieBob, and the rest, most of my "SQUEEEE!" moments were meeting all you staff peoples! You're all so frickin' awesome and friendly and fun to be around, I had just as much fun volunteering as I did attending. Now I can tell everyone that Susan Arendt signed my skull!

Before this, I'd only gotten to interact with you folks via the forums and a handful of article-related e-mails with Susan, but the fact that you all interacted with your readers was one of the things that hooked me on The Escapist to begin with. You all are what make this community what it is, and we're so happy your first Expo was so successful!

(And Greg, we actually DID end up driving that super-drunk guy home Saturday night. Dude, you were awesome about checking on folks and making sure they were safely squared away. You're classy as hell, man!)

(Aaaand Susan, my wife and I love you and think that you should come live with us.)

"Noone died last time." would make a great slogan for Escapist Expo 2013. :)

Holy constant content Batman! When I saw "Expo Re-Cap!" I was like wow they made MORE stuff already? lol

Thankyou!! :)

"It was a true community event"

While I couldn't go and was dubious about how good the videos would be during the expo period; the energy and the fun really seeped through and I had a great time watching. I don't watch Miracle of Sound but I still watched the Gav video and loved it because that same energy was there. This podcast was just extra warm fuzziness I was already feeling from the others videos.

Thankyou so much, what you did was magical.

you know, i would wait to the end of the podcat till i commented about how i enjoyed the podcat... but the creepy crawlers reference.... my childhood just sorta exploded with a nostalgia bomb right there

Really wish I could have been there. PLEASE PLEASE !!! Do another next year so I can be there.

I also would suggest that the slogan for the expo should now be "The Escapest Expo, No one died".

Also a big thanks to all the uploaded content from the expo on the site so I can pretend I was actually there lol.

That logistics guy you were talking about? Genuinely thought he was an Escapist staff member when I met him at the office, and figured his volunteer shirt was due to being "Volunteer Coordinator" or something.

Hm.

Might have to come over next time.

Sorry I missed it, Batarians aren't going to kill themselves.

Good to hear, was good seeing the panels on site. Was a more enjoyable listen then the live podcat.Though that is more to do with the live sounded more like your regular podcat but with people. Love hearing the behind the scenes stories, along with people's experiences. Would love to hear more, but you are limited for time so I understand. Creepy Crawlers are still about, they just aren't as good as they use to be. They just make gummy creatures to eat rather then anything cool. Usually around Halloween I see ads for it.

Though I have a bone to pick with you, about the accordion. There is in fact more then 2 people who can rock the accordion. Chango Spasiuk for one. The guy can play it fast, and he can play it slow. Can paint landscapes with his accordion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSFSdfD2J94&feature=share&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CyYXvQ_W465bhq_5Q9by7_

My favorite band Those Darn Accordions. They meld humor with melody. Was sad when Clyde Forsman died, because he did a great job turning a regular song into comedy gold.
http://youtu.be/bNb6McA4vgo

Can be beautifully moving, even operatic.
http://youtu.be/VcnB9IEn8BI

Even though they aren't well know by all they have had some good spots with good friends. Weird Al with Penn and Teller.
http://youtu.be/orq3ITdin7o

The song they got me loving them is Hammsterman.
http://youtu.be/M70JzlydLzs

Another kick ass band with an accordion is Flogging Molly
http://youtu.be/Gr46RJs0ixE

There is so much more out there, and this right here is off the top of my head. There is many that can play a good accordion. I figure I stop here, since I think I am just spewing accordion love at the moment. Don't want you to get overfilled with it.

Okay, I know I said last podcast was the best ever, but this one comes really close. This is going to sound really, really corny, but it radiated warm fuzziness and all around happy feelings. I kid you not, I was tearing up more than once. It's moments like those (the HvsZ being all responsible, the group hug, the lack of divas, etc) that make me genuinely proud to be part of the gaming community. Aw screw, I'm gonna say it: the gaming family.
And how you guys could've imagined for a single second that no one would come just totally baffles me. I sooooo wanted to go! And hearing about it now, gosh, it just sounds like so many different kinds of awesome.
It made me smile to hear about all the little hiccups that went on behind the scenes, mostly because it took me back to my own seminar organizing days (not nearly on the same scale, more like 3 days, 150 people, and having to feed and house them all, a logistical nightmare). Nothing ever goes smoothly, but if people are happy and don't notice those little hiccups, then you've done your job. And from what I hear, you guys performed above and beyond the call of duty. Now, about next year... ;)

Now that I live in North Carolina, the first 10 minutes of this podcast makes perfect sense.

Thank you for the shout-out, guys! I cannot tell you what a privilege it was to come down and help out. I drove home counting down how many days it would be until I see you all again. The Expo was easily one of the best weekends I've had in years, and I have yet to find a single attendee who didn't have a great time.

Now that I've listened to the whole podcast I find logistics man to be my favorite part.

#whycouldn'tIbethere?

yunabomb:
Now that I've listened to the whole podcast I find logistics man to be my favorite part.

#whycouldn'tIbethere?

Odds are, the money, just like with me. Though the whole thing just is what happen after them building the community. Even though we all might not have the same ideas or thoughts we tend to have a theme going on. Something I believe Susan touched on when talking about why Movie Bob, Yatzee, and Jim Sterlling connected so easily. Its why I am a fan of Savant Crime who did Opinionated Reviews. Its why I am constantly talking with Nannernade threw private chat about random things. The community is why it is so easy to talk to each other, and creators. It allows for people to still enjoy the person, if you don't enjoy the product. A key example of this is No Right Answer. I don't really like it, but Media Sandwich which has the same people doing something else I love. Much like with the Escapist podcast enjoyable for many listens. That common thread binds us in away to make use better. Its why I am willing to play a game with anyone from the forum. You know it is a blast because of that common thread.

I may be wrong here, and overly romanticizing things. This is the reason I keep coming back, even when I had only one show I would watch here. The community is what made the expo grand, and it is what makes the site grand. The expo just allowed for it to be focus at a singular point. In its craziness, that is why it is such a joy to be here.

I am sad that I was not able to come to the first Escapist Expo. When the next one happens (as from the sounds of it, there is much desire for a second) I will definitely be getting tickets and making it down.

So many awesome panels, discussions, and (from what I have heard) just a great time.

Ben and Christopher Robin the Volunteers were awesome people. I was volunteering and i worked my ass off friday, saturday, and sunday morning, but i didn't even do half of what they did. Full disclosure i've been spoiled by Akon and thought volunteers would have some sort of crash space to sleep in friday and saturday night, I was mistaken. Friday night i had no place to sleep. And big thanks to ben, i asked him about it and he said, "Yeah, i got a spare couch you can sleep on."

Sunday morning talking to dastardly, timelord, and susan about dr. who/other things awesome. Apologies to susan for dissing the website running compliment.

Expo was alot fun, this was just my experience. if you saw me there it was probably lugging boxes around on friday or in the hyrule hall/dagobah area saturday or registration on sunday.

All the food talk makes me miss the Cinnabon that was in the mall here. We have Krispy Kremes on every other corner but no Cinnabon for 300 miles. Nothing beats a cinnabon, or even half a cinnabon cinnamon roll. Big, gooey, did I mention they're gooey?

So did anyone push Mike's food foibles, overworked and starving, it would have been the perfect time to slip in a mustard trojan horse.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Hey Susan, I know I can speak for Kapol and his friends (who are all very awesome people, and even gave me a ride back to my hotel!) that it was our pleasure to help you out after the Expo.

You looked dead when we got there, so if that's all we had to do, and free you up to do whatever, then right on.

Meant to post this before but been busy, but pretty much this. I think we were all just happy to help in however we could. At that point I had been feeling pretty guilty about sitting there while a bunch of people moved what appeared to be very heavy equipment.

Kapol:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Meant to post this before but been busy, but pretty much this. I think we were all just happy to help in however we could. At that point I had been feeling pretty guilty about sitting there while a bunch of people moved what appeared to be very heavy equipment.

Yeah, it felt weird just sitting there playing Magic while everyone was busy doing stuff, and trying to get everything out of there. I'm so used to schlepping gear and stuff that it just felt wrong watching them do work while I was doing nothing. It was great helping out, even if it was minor, and we got to free people up to let them do whatever they needed to do.

EDIT: sorry wrong thread

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here