Escapist News Wrap: BioWare Cofounders Retire & Warp Speed Is Possible?!

BioWare Cofounders Retire & Warp Speed Is Possible?!

This week, we find out that the co-founders of Bioware are retiring, but we also hear about new projects in the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universes. Also, warp drive may be possible, Sony announces a new PS3 and Star Wars The Old Republic begins server cuts.

Watch Video

Thanks so much for doing this, when you could of gone the route of "I'm tired lets do this later." Wish that I could sit and listen, but have have sunflowers to fight. Please put this up for download or on Itunes as soon as possible. I enjoy the podcast, but only get to listen while doing stuff. Thank you, and make it downloadable so I can listen to it.

Edit:You did that while I was posting. So good job on that.

Never though that would happen now (Bioware founders retiring)

Now with Warp Speed, we can travel to other planets!

KingdomFantasyXIII:

Eh sort of. We cannot travel faster than light. Ever. Because of special relativity, if information can travel faster than the speed of light then you lose causality (i.e. things may not happen because other things caused them to happen). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity#Causality_and_prohibition_of_motion_faster_than_light

Information cant travel faster than light, which means people can't travel faster than light because we can carry information. Doesn't matter how, by what mechanism, or any of that.

On the other hand, just because we can't travel faster than light doesn't mean you couldn't travel to distant stars. Because of time dialation, you age slower the faster you go. If you go fast enough (and going fast enough is an engineering problem) then you could slow down your passage of time so much that you can travel to distant stars in what feels like weeks or days to you. Of course, hundreds of years have past for those you left behind on Earth.

warp speed isnt possible period as long as what we know about physics is right its impossible, if you think otherwise your rejecting fact

castlewise:

KingdomFantasyXIII:

Eh sort of. We cannot travel faster than light. Ever. Because of special relativity, if information can travel faster than the speed of light then you lose causality (i.e. things may not happen because other things caused them to happen). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity#Causality_and_prohibition_of_motion_faster_than_light

Information cant travel faster than light, which means people can't travel faster than light because we can carry information. Doesn't matter how, by what mechanism, or any of that.

On the other hand, just because we can't travel faster than light doesn't mean you couldn't travel to distant stars. Because of time dialation, you age slower the faster you go. If you go fast enough (and going fast enough is an engineering problem) then you could slow down your passage of time so much that you can travel to distant stars in what feels like weeks or days to you. Of course, hundreds of years have past for those you left behind on Earth.

its actually mass not information but you mean the same thing

SnowBurst:

castlewise:

KingdomFantasyXIII:

Nope, information can't travel faster than light either. That was one big problem that Einstien and co had with quantum entanglement and quantum physics in general (see the EPR paradox).

castlewise:

SnowBurst:

castlewise:

Nope, information can't travel faster than light either. That was one big problem that Einstien and co had with quantum entanglement and quantum physics in general (see the EPR paradox).

its mass because mass holds information information doesnt hold mass

SnowBurst:

castlewise:

SnowBurst:

From the wiki that I cited earlier:

Therefore, if causality is to be preserved, one of the consequences of special relativity is that no information signal or material object can travel faster than light in vacuum.

Not going to get into an arguement about this, though. So if you say its just mass then its just mass.

The news wrap is quickly becoming one of my favorite features.

SnowBurst:
warp speed isnt possible period as long as what we know about physics is right its impossible, if you think otherwise your rejecting fact

Of course what we know about physics is a contiously updating thing. It is unscientific to state outright that it is impossible. The whole thing behind science is to be open to new ideas as long as evidence and testing back up the hypothises. Thus we can only say that it is very unlikely that anything can travel faster than light because everything we currently know seems to say it cannot happen however, if new information is introduced, I'm open to reexamining the assumptions.

By any useful definition of the word art and the concepts of intellecual property, what the crazy old lady did is art and is intellectual property. She should indeed be cut in for the profits from exploiting her art. That being said, she also destroyed IP/art in the process of creating her own, it would be quite just for the courts to force her to give exclusive rights to her work in compensation. Quite frankly, I think the church as the owners of the original work, have been quite nice by not pursuing her for the damages and that by introducing this lawsuit, her family can only come off on the wrong end.

castlewise:

SnowBurst:

castlewise:

From the wiki that I cited earlier:

Therefore, if causality is to be preserved, one of the consequences of special relativity is that no information signal or material object can travel faster than light in vacuum.

Not going to get into an arguement about this, though. So if you say its just mass then its just mass.

And if wikipedia says it, it must be true. Joking aside wikipedia is a damn fine reference but ... physics as well as all other scientific endevors are forever evolving as we learn new things. Newton's theory of gravity was fairly well disproved by einstine, yet we still still use them because given the right circumstances they are as close enough to make no difference and the math is a lot easier to do. But the point being that more information allowed us to get a better understanding of the universe and refine a current theory to be more percise.

Information Theory is that a theory. One that is heavily supported by everything that we currently know and have tested. However, as we learn more it could be that causality doesn't quite work the way we think it does or that under cirtain circumstances it appears to not do so to the point that we could easily use a different way of thinking about it because it doesn't make a difference and the math is easier. Just keep in mind that unlike religeon science is not dogmatic. It grows, it changes and we need to keep a open mind to be scientific and not say that It is impossible, but rather that it is very unlikely based on everythign we currently know.

03:06
"which is not a good sign for the MMO many thought had a chance to de-throne World of Warcraft."

In other news, the above phenomenon has been occurring on such a predictable basis it could be easily associated with the freaking lunar cycle .
Some fans of Guild Wars 2 have also hopped onto the "omg this is the WoW-killer!" bandwagon, and as much as a fan I am of GW2 as well, I can't help but /facepalm at those saying such a thing because the pre-requisite of an MMO being "successful" is NOT "must beat WoW in subscription numbers", the pre-requisite of an MMO being successful is how fun/entertaining it is to play.

As for Bioware themselves, I'm still eager to see what comes out of DA:Inquisition and the ME3 DLC - it will somewhat highlight whether the people who are still running the team are capable of carrying on before EA finally takes them behind the barn and puts them to sleep with a .44 magnum.

castlewise:

KingdomFantasyXIII:

Ah yes causality, we have dismissed that claim. NASA is going ahead and researching warp drive anyway. The one thing that crushed my hope of practical interstellar travel hasn't prevented NASA from continuing to dream. Apparently Harold White has made some modifications to the Alcubierre drive and now believes that it's theoretically possible, as opposed to being a fun distraction.

In both the Alcubierre drive and this modified version neither mass nor information is accelerated beyond c. Rather, due to the fact that observations about the big bang demonstrate that space can expand faster than c, the idea is to contract space in front of the craft and expand space behind the craft causing a very local version of the spatial expansion that occurred during the initial moments of the big bang and still occurs at the edge of the visible universe. An interesting side effect of this type of travel is that there will be neither inertial nor tidal forces acting on the craft, therefore making it genuinely safe for human travel...
that is, if it doesn't create a naked singularity on the contracting front end.

Of course, this is all assuming we get the exotic matter required to make it go.

Also, my bullshit detector went off when they said that they will be experimenting with bending spacetime in the lab with lasers.

Personally I'm looking forward to Dragon Age 3.Let's see how will that play out now that the doctors are "out".

PlayStation 3 Slim is just a pointless money grab and Sony is just trying to keep this current generation going instead of focusing on the new one.

sunsetspawn:

castlewise:

KingdomFantasyXIII:

Ah yes causality, we have dismissed that claim. NASA is going ahead and researching warp drive anyway. The one thing that crushed my hope of practical interstellar travel hasn't prevented NASA from continuing to dream. Apparently Harold White has made some modifications to the Alcubierre drive and now believes that it's theoretically possible, as opposed to being a fun distraction.

In both the Alcubierre drive and this modified version neither mass nor information is accelerated beyond c. Rather, due to the fact that observations about the big bang demonstrate that space can expand faster than c, the idea is to contract space in front of the craft and expand space behind the craft causing a very local version of the spatial expansion that occurred during the initial moments of the big bang and still occurs at the edge of the visible universe. An interesting side effect of this type of travel is that there will be neither inertial nor tidal forces acting on the craft, therefore making it genuinely safe for human travel...
that is, if it doesn't create a naked singularity on the contracting front end.

Of course, this is all assuming we get the exotic matter required to make it go.

Also, my bullshit detector went off when they said that they will be experimenting with bending spacetime in the lab with lasers.

To be fair, they got some pretty amazing lasers. If anyone can bend spacetime with a laser, it would be someone who owns one bigger than my house. ;)

That's a horrible sign for Old Republic. I wonder if the game will still be supported into late 2013 at this rate?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here