Unskippable: Atelier Meruru, Part One

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Atelier Meruru, Part One

One of the most elaborate and expensive jokes comes to Unskippable.

Watch Video

even though it does have lots of pink and sky blue I wouldn't mind playing this game as a male.

Can someone please explain what the fuck I just watched?

MatParker116:
Can someone please explain what the fuck I just watched?

You watched Graham and Paul make funny comments during the opening of some strange strange game.

Needs moar Ponies,
Ponies of SPIDERMAN!

I'm not sure if I think 'Meruru' is any more ridiculous than 'Rorona' or 'Totori'.

They're all pretty ridiculous.

At least it's easier to pronounce than Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel. Now, I'm not passing judgement on either series because I haven't played any of them and they could be excellent for all I know, but even for JRPGs they've got ridiculous names.

Also, fun fact, Ar Tonelico and Atelier are all made by the same developer. Fancy that.

I saw this game on amazon and thought I might see it on here at some point

I love the commentary!! reminds me of Mystery Science Theatre 3000! Keep up the wonderful heckling and infused sarcasm.

Wait!! Maybe they didn't tell us what Totori saw because it was sooo evil, she left it there so it couldn't destroy the world. She never told anyone what she saw so no one would seek it out. But the kingdom is attacked and Totori knows this evil could help. And maybe she will tell her apprentice Meruru about it. And Meruru will go off to find it to save her kingdom. But she must decide whether the cost of releasing the evil powers of alchemy are worth it to save her kingdom. Fingers crossed.

I hope they keep making these Atelier games if only so that you can keep making great Unskippable episodes.

So... the recap of the first two games utterly failed to make either story seem remotely interesting or relevant... I'm guessing we're going to see the pattern continue next week.

I'm strangely liking those games. The plot is terrible inexistant, but the game itself is kind of addictive. :P

SO MUCH PINK!......

Yet they still thought this game still didn't meet its intended demographic. MOAR PRINCESSES!

BlueJoneleth:
I'm strangely liking those games. The plot is terrible inexistant, but the game itself is kind of addictive. :P

Well at least the first game had an ending...

I strangely remember bits of the previous Unskippable game relating to this one! I guess that sillyness of the last game left a mark in my mind somewhere.

"Rorona"? "Meruru"? Did they hand the naming duties in this game off to Scooby-Doo?

"it's the best game about property foreclosure I have ever played"

Someone hasn't played "Recettear: an item shop's tale" (what is it with property foreclosure and stupid names). Seriously it's a great game ^^.

It would be easier to pronounce her as "Melooloo" than "Merooroo"

Unless your good at rolling your tongue. =P

My response to seeing a new Atelier game on the Unskippable page: "Aw hell yeah!"

The art style of the recap was actually kind of nice (that silhouette/shadow puppet style shows up a fair bit in anime, like in Revolutionary Girl Utena). The content, on the other hand, was...lacking. What was the point of recapping the second game without giving any of the plot resolution? (Other than getting people to buy it, I guess.)

Who's betting that Part 2 features a shy, clumsy girl in a short skirt having awkward conversations with people and messing something up?

this game isn't in my demographic so i will just leave it be

Keith Fraser:
My response to seeing a new Atelier game on the Unskippable page: "Aw hell yeah!"

The art style of the recap was actually kind of nice (that silhouette/shadow puppet style shows up a fair bit in anime, like in Revolutionary Girl Utena). The content, on the other hand, was...lacking. What was the point of recapping the second game without giving any of the plot resolution? (Other than getting people to buy it, I guess.)

Who's betting that Part 2 features a shy, clumsy girl in a short skirt having awkward conversations with people and messing something up?

yeah these JRPGs from this game series(others that look like it Paul and Graham did for unskippable)

look interesting I would buy if I knew if I was them in the right order or which ones are better?

swimon:

Someone hasn't played "Recettear: an item shop's tale" (what is it with property foreclosure and stupid names). Seriously it's a great game ^^.

Gaah! You beat meh!

-----------------------

I always like when Unskippable touch on JRPG's and the like. They combine 2 of my favorite things, anime and riff tracks. And since anime is often so odd and ripe for parody, they usually end up being the best episodes.

Wasn't funnier than Atlier Rorona ("Oh god! I'm not trained for this!"), but still hilarious.

Yeah I saw this on the shelf at the store the other day and figured I'd see it here shortly, and I was right! (For once.) I think I really want to try this series though. They just look so weird and...boring that I just want to see it for some reason.

Also were you refering to Roronoa Zoro at the beginning there?

Callate:
"Rorona"? "Meruru"? Did they hand the naming duties in this game off to Scooby-Doo?

This joke should have been in the video.

Haven't touched one of these games in a long time, in fact the only one I played was Atelier Iris which I think is the first one, I liked it though. I was going through my JRPG phase then though.

Atelier Meruru is one of my most favourite games this gen! So much fun!

swimon:

Damn you, ninja! That is exactly what I was going to say.

swimon:

So you beat several of us to the punch, but I would just like to jump in here and defend Recettears title. Aside from it being a contraction of their names, as explained in the game, those names were specifcally chosen so that the combination would be similar in spelling and (mis)pronunciation to "racketeer" i.e. to engage in an illegal business or scheme. It's a pun, you see. It's implying they have a sign on the front of their shop essentially stating that they're criminals.

Actually, now that I think about it, knowing how far they went for such a silly joke might make the title worse :/. Still, I like shouting "Recettear!" when I've had too much caffeine (and I'm alone).

SwimmingRock:

swimon:

So you beat several of us to the punch, but I would just like to jump in here and defend Recettears title. Aside from it being a contraction of their names, as explained in the game, those names were specifcally chosen so that the combination would be similar in spelling and (mis)pronunciation to "racketeer" i.e. to engage in an illegal business or scheme. It's a pun, you see. It's implying they have a sign on the front of their shop essentially stating that they're criminals.

Actually, now that I think about it, knowing how far they went for such a silly joke might make the title worse :/. Still, I like shouting "Recettear!" when I've had too much caffeine (and I'm alone).

Fair enough. I never noticed that pun, I think it's because I have no idea how to pronounce recettear so the pun never really landed with me. I'll say this tho compared to Atelier Meruru Recettear is pure genius (Dejoban games level genius).

uggggg, sooooo slowwwwwww. C'mon guys, the first part of the game is meant to hook the player not put them to sleep.

LobsterFeng:

Callate:

This joke should have been in the video.

They did it in the first one. I'm guessing they didn't want to repeat themselves.

DVS BSTrD:
Needs moar Ponies,
Ponies of SPIDERMAN!

You know, I endorse this idea. When you start sinking, don't dig. Fly!

So, I made the mistake of trying to drink a glass of water during the video...

Ah, the return of the incredibly girly games with the ridiculous names. Oh, what joy to hear Graham and Paul rip on them.
"Must think manly thoughts.." was what I was thinking throughout the video.

captcha: IS IT ENOUGH
no, it never is

ForgottenPr0digy:
yeah these JRPGs from this game series(others that look like it Paul and Graham did for unskippable)

look interesting I would buy if I knew if I was them in the right order or which ones are better?

Based on the video, I assume they go in the following order:

Atelier Rorona
Atelier Totori
Atelier Meruru

Which ones are better...I cannot say.

Incidentally, I think at least some of those names are actual Japanese words. I'm pretty sure 'tori' is the romanization of the name of those gates you see outside Japanese shrines/temples, for example.

Did you make a reference to Golden Sun?! If you did, thank you. I love that game. Still working on beating the third game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here