The Big Picture: The Prophesy of Freakazoid

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Happy 100th, Bob.

I remember watching Freakazoid dubbed into another language. All the pop-culture references were lost in translation which made the whole show just weird.

Anyway, I did catch quite a few eps in their original language and became a big fan... totally missed the internet prophecy, though

Back when the WB was worth watching.
Historia, Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Pinky & The Brain, MiB:The Cartoon, original Pokemon.

Morbira:

SlightlyEvil:
Yep, saw the ending coming a mile off. I mean you, can't talk about Freakazoid without going into Candlejack. Of course, what I love about that character is

PAY ATTENTION EVERYONE. THIS is how you properly do the "Candlejack" joke. You NEVER cut it off in the middle of his name, or he could never get you to begin with! Also Bob, congrats on your 10

Of course the obvious exception to this rule is if you say Candlejack then you say Candleja

Oh man Freakazoid, Having only just watched it maybe a year or two ago now It didnt even occur to me just how out of place that kind of comedy would be in the 90's.
I mean hell, the only reason I started watching it was BECAUSE of internet forums and such, so man kinds slow downfall in to self-initiated madness had already begun so to speak. I remember vividly the old candlejack threads, thinking to myself "I wonder where this jo

Holy crap, I just realized this thanks to your ending, but Candlejack is basically SLENDER! The show even predicted THAT particular meme some 17 years or so in advance!

Scream.

Thank you Bob. Freakazoid still is one of my most beloved shows until today. Good to know that it's out on DVD.
I always liked The Lobe more than Candlejack though. Especially because

I now want Deadpool and Freakazoid to team up to take down Candlejack an

Never realized how the show basic was what the internet was going to be 10 years in advance. 100 episodes and yet no Sonic Satam episode, what's up with that?

I don't get it.
Who's candl

Maybe they didn't predict what the internet was going to be like, but rather, what the internet was already shaping up to be at the current time. As I remember having the internet around that time, back when it was crappy geocities websites about people's lives or pictures of their cat.
My god, blogs, can I haz.... IT HASN'T CHANGED AT ALL!

Why did you do a Candlejack joke by cutting off mid sentence in his name, everyone knows you have to say the whole thing or he wo

Oh man oh man oh man.

Freakazoid and Beetlejuice were my 2 favourite shows as a maturing kid. Probably the shows I ended my childhood cartoon-watching "career" on. I don't know why, but the jokes resonated with me more than any other at that age. Freakazoid itself hooked with my growing computer geek persona, and even if I didn't know what they were referencing, the jokes were incredibly funny to me.

I don't think I'll ever forget them.

But I'll have to take points off for doing it wrong with Candlejack. I mean how can you call yourse

Freakazoid in and itself was a mixed bag for me, there was some American humour (which I loathed then and still do now), some fourth-wall breaking (which only now I appreciate), and some genuine insanity which has forever shaped me as a person.

But it paled in comparison to The Mask, who, for all the wejie-based jokes, still had more than enough insanity to make it a decent programme for children. Also, it had TIM CURRY as a villain, which is one of the best combinations!

The only parody of the Internet that comes close to Freakazoid are the trolls and (2 other characters) from Homestuck, which is a more intentional parody of the Internet and its stereotypes. These characters are a parody of specific parts or users of the Internet, while Freakazoid is the Internet as a whole.

I do find early internet ideas really hilarious considering how little the creators understood and/or how good they where at predicting the future..
Only thing I'm not sure if they implemented in Freakaxoid is dumb users whom believe everything that is on the net...
Otherwise fantastic way of celebrating 100 episodes, the rather accurate prediction of the (SFW) internet and it's trolls...

I don't get the Candlejack references could some

I still remember Freakazoid, amazing show.

I don't remember Candlejack though. Who was...

Why can I say candleja...

Well, now I have some new things on my "to buy list". Though I'll be a little bit of a nitpicking jerk and say you used the Candlejack meme wron

I suspect the creators were at least somewhat aware of the "Internet culture" that was emerging even then. There are some Internet memes referenced even now that date back to the Usenet era. Heck, the term "spam" was born out of a Usenet meme that was a reference to Monty Python. And as for the creators' personal experience with those proto-freakazoids... well, just ask Tress MacNeille why she refuses to voice animal characters anymore. Yeah. It's exactly what you think.

The Tall Nerd:
now that i think about it , dude has a point, way ahead of his time freakazzoid was a major troll.

He even has the hair for it!

THE NUMBER OF CANDLEJACK JOKES IS TOO DA

bdcjacko:
Why can I say candleja...

You did it wrong. You have to say Candlejack's full na...

Call me supersticious, but I actually never dared to type that guys name. You know, from the end of the video.

The character i remember the most was that big fat alien guy but i don't know his name in english.

Can we stop it with all this nonsense? I mean, why are lines being cut off? Because of a character in a TV show from the 90s? That's so silly! There's no way saying 'Candle Ja--

I always loved Sgt. Mike Cosgrove and his "Cut it out" and everyone would just stop. Where are all the Escapists going? Candlejack, Cut it

Justified for the the 100th special. I wish you could of done a multipart episode.For anyone wanting to see the whole thing with CaveMan go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHDH6oIv-2o&feature=relmfu

I love that you did this episode, just wish you did more.

Though I think the episode Handman sums up the internet as a whole.

I didn't get the reference at first, but than I remembered Candlejack! Good joke, Bo

Okay, how many are like me in that we watched this as kids and found it hilarious, but felt like we were the only ones on the planet that did?

I remember watching this show religiously and loving it, and yet when I would mention it to friends they never had any idea what I was talking about... and upon seeing the zainy premise had no interest.

I didn't liked Freakazoid back then. I was little and stupid, I had other interests back then (don't remember clearly, but may had to do with Power Rangers, Dragon Ball and/or Ninja Turtles), it was mildly amusing to say the least, but it was just so... random.

Granted, I now love random humor, ponies and internet memes (and pictures of cats), I think I've (childishly) grown up enough to fully appreciate the show, I'll definitely check it out once again.

Congratulations on episode 100!

Going back and watching it now, it is a great lot of rapid-fire pop culture jokes for no other reason. Still hilariously funny though. Thanks for the nice Freakazoid booster, so to speak.

As much as I like this series, I really hope that the Candlejack ending doesn't mean that this series will end up like The Game Over...

Bob, you got me right in the nostalgia. Now I need to rewatch at least season 1. Bare minimum for the Hula Girls gag.

And Candle Jack is right, we're not a very br

twaddle:

The Tall Nerd:
now that i think about it , dude has a point, way ahead of his time freakazzoid was a major troll.

haha! cj got his ass

Most warner brothers cartoons were major trolls. Warner brothers cartoon characters are just one long line of trolls

too true, didnt know Spielberg had made the tiny toons as well,
he must have a ball Google searching that, screaming at all that fur, wondering what he has done to the world

I'm of the opinion that the show got better in the second season because it dropped the sketch comedy routine and stuck to more story centric episodes. If it didn't do that, we never would have seen Freakazoid team up with Leonard Maltin and Henry Kissinger to fight Tim Curry.

Steve the Pocket:
I suspect the creators were at least somewhat aware of the "Internet culture" that was emerging even then. There are some Internet memes referenced even now that date back to the Usenet era. Heck, the term "spam" was born out of a Usenet meme that was a reference to Monty Python. And as for the creators' personal experience with those proto-freakazoids... well, just ask Tress MacNeille why she refuses to voice animal characters anymore. Yeah. It's exactly what you think.

The Tall Nerd:

He even has the hair for it!

i honestly don't know is it because she does a lot of them

or is it
good news she knows what the internet is

bad news she knows what fur pr0n is

This...was amazing. So happy to see The Big Picture hit the 100 mark! Keep on chuggin!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here