Zero Punctuation: Guild Wars 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Guild Wars 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Guild Wars 2.

Watch Video

I sorta got the feeling he'd like it more than previous mmorpgs, seems more like his thing :D

The worlds most spankable bum cheek. I'm so going to steal that gag.

Part of me really wants to get Guild Wars 2, the rest of me wants to graduate university :P Funny review as always.

Pretty good episode this time, though if I'm honest I didn't know much about the game before today, MMO's never really have been my thing...

If you want to see MMO story done right, try out The Secret World.

The rest of the game sucks though.

ZZoMBiE13:
The worlds most spankable bum cheek. I'm so going to steal that gag.

I thought it was a rather an arseinine comparison myself.

Clearly you've forgotten the order of how to address boredom:

1) Wank

2) Learn how to read

3) Commune with the netherworld

4) Wank some more

I'm surprised more peasants don't make it past #1.

I was actually expecting a ZP review of the Escapist Expo, but I guess that would mean having to concede to the presence of a certain pair of cat ears.

Excellent review, in that it made me laugh. I honestly couldn't care about an MMO I'll likely never play, but I can always appreciate sending in the cynical British internet gamer/comedian and seeing what he gets out of it.

Rainboq:
Part of me really wants to get Guild Wars 2, the rest of me wants to graduate university :P Funny review as always.

Same here.

Regarding the review, the somewhat situational skills often went together in Guild Wars and (most probably) this sequel. You could make your nether demons explode to make someone sick and hurt, curse your enemy once or twice, and then go in for the situational skills for awesome kills.

Very circus themed this week. Did he meet a clown at the expo?

I would be genuinely interested in a game that could flesh out "necromancer who wants to join the circus" into a credible character arc.

kinda summed up why i didn't like about GW2, and what i did like about it.

so, good vid

GenGenners:

You can actually choose that circucs thing as a backstory, when you're making a character.

Nice review. Did the part about mass player ganking remind anyone else of Realm of the Mad God?

Wow you actually seemed to vaguely like it probably means it while be my game of the year.

Still have yet to buy it. Was pretty hyped then I sort of lost all interest. Also, I heard there is no real end game and that's kind of a deal breaker with me. But of course this is all by word of mouth and I'm not too sure so maybe someday i'll try it out.

Good video, as always.

Interestingly, I have the reverse opinion on the last bit about WoW being a journey and GW2 feeling like a theme park. Back when I was still playing WoW I had the unshakable feeling that I was taking part in a historical reenactment rather than an epic story for all the input the player had on the events. Also, WoW has a lot of quests where you quite literally pick up piles of crap, so GW2 isn't the only one with the 'down-to-earth' low level quests.

Personally, I'm taking the stance that if people are still raving about this game in 6 months, I might give it a go. I'm done playing MMOs when they first come out.

Soods:

GenGenners:

You can actually choose that circucs thing as a backstory, when you're making a character.

Wait.........seriously?

Toasty Virus:
I sorta got the feeling he'd like it more than previous mmorpgs, seems more like his thing :D

Oh, definitely.

It's arguable the best MMO for the Single Player type.

The only real gripe I have with GW2 is, as he so rightly points out, the way nobody ever actually communicates with each other.

For all the things GW2 bats straight out of the park, I really miss the more hands-on grouping mechanics of pre-Lich King WoW and TOR, not to mention EVE.

It's entirely possible that this is down to the business of getting removing the whole Tank/Healer/DamageDealer combination.

It seems to me that, in the older MMOs, if you have a group of friends, your party just got a whole lot better. If you then had those friends on voice comms, well, that made you doubly as effective.

In GW2, that just doesn't seem to be true, and it makes me sad, 'cus grouping with my friends is the absolute number one thing I want from an MMO.

Lulz at the theme-park jokes at the end.

Thats what the middle-men are for, providing context with glorious written text. I can't help to wonder when I notice MMOs and other games start cutting unnecessary stuff. I hope the designers do realize that games are ultimately unnecessary and if they cut deep enough there is nothing left and they will be out of a job.

Presentation is very important. GW2 presents the core mechanics in a very bare-boned way, I don't think it makes them look better. It's like a magician showing how his tricks work.

Maybe the tricks (mechanics) weren't that good in the first place, but they could at least try to keep up the appearance. Then those of us with small, impressionable minds can occasionally pretend to be heroes instead of click-bots.

I have actually come to really love Guild Wars 2. No, I found the game itself rather boring and felt zero sense of accomplishment after 100%'ing every zone I visited on the way to level 80. I don't love the half-assed combat or the zerg rush that is PVP.

The thing I love about Guild Wars 2 is that it fills that casual MMO niche from top to bottom that has begun to dilute the more demanding MMOs that I once loved. Hopefully Guild Wars 2 and other MMOs like it can continue to please its crowd so I can happily go enjoy investing time and effort into games like PSO2 or TERA and not have to worry about them being watered down for the casual players.

The only part that I truly disagree with Guild Wars 2 is the cooperate without communicating part. The number one wonder that drew me into MMOs in the first place was the player interaction. I honestly leveled from level 1-80 in GW2 and NEVER joined a party or a guild. Because I never HAD to. Every quest was soloable as an Elementalist by running in circles and spamming auto-attack. THIS is the fatal flaw that killed this game for me.

Before people start raging, this is not a negative post. I truly think it's a fantastic thing that it's possible for both crowds to have their cake and eat it. I'll just enjoy my chocolate cake over this side of the table and you can sit across from me and have your strawberry cake.

Just don't mind if I take a sample of your strawberry cake from time to time, yours is free after all. And sometimes I just feel like exploring and that was one thing that Guild Wars 2 gets praise from me for.

I feel like Yatzee didn't play the game past the 30's. Because, in the early zones it is kind of weak and the threats aren't there so much, but in the later zones they're all over the place. In the 50-60 zones, for example, the corruption from the Elder Dragons is everywhere, and the minions are vicious. So, it's gradual progression.

Also, even at the end of the 1-15 zones there is a giant boss monster to fight. For Yatzee, this should have been a demon from the underworld summoned through a portal in the swamp. So, why didn't he mention that fight? It's epic and makes you feel like a hero.

GW2 is a good game but they kinda screwed the pooch with the pvp. They took the tanking and healing out of the trinity, but not the burst damage that both of those things were there to counter...which means everything is just a dps race. Yes, even the tournaments.

I liked the Red Dwarf reference there with gazpacho soup. Personally I really want to see him do FTL considering his want for more space games.

This is my first MMO. I'm finding it...kind of boring. Oh well, at least I can run around with friends a bit.

Ah I remember my Ranger/Necromancer from Guild Wars I, the "make an army of things to kill stuff while you stand over there" spec. Good times.

Alandoril:
GW2 is a good game but they kinda screwed the pooch with the pvp. They took the tanking and healing out of the trinity, but not the burst damage that both of those things were there to counter...which means everything is just a dps race. Yes, even the tournaments.

He also seems to have missed the fact that when you get to the level cap all those skill points you collected and didn't use to buy skills become currency to buy neat stuff that isn't skills. So collecting them is never a waste. Also, this is Yahtzee we're talking about so the fact that he had anything positive to say indicates that he's praising the game with faint damnation.

To other people complaining about a lack of "end game," GW2 is designed to be the same game at the end as it was all along. There's no "grind your way through 80 levels of something you don't enjoy to get to the stuff you really want to play." If you don't like the game by level 10 or 20, you might as well move on, because that's the game. If you do like it, you get to pl;ay from the start and don't have to do stuff you don't like to get to the fun bits. Mummorpuggers are not usually designed like this, so people get confused.

M'kay, I try to give Yahtzee some leeway, and I'll admit of his MMO reviews, this one is definitely the least scathing. However as someone who's playing GW2, I think his criticism that there is no plot is a complete load. GW2 has just as much plot as WoW did at the start of its release. Yahtzee says the only thing resembling a plot was the fact the elder dragons have woken up and are threatening the world, but outside of that there's no real sense of what your role in it is. Well what did the base WoW game start you out with? Hell, I don't even remember them announcing the primary antagonist with that one, you were just supposed to follow the quest lines until you eventually were lead up to Ragnaros, or whatever his name was. It wasn't until the expansions they began letting you know who you would ultimately be fighting at the end.

The problem here seems to be Yahtzee is completely ignoring the back story in the game. I wouldn't expect him to read both of the novels they came out with and give a full synopsis of the backstory in his video, but he could at least acknowledge it. He says there's no plot outside the elder dragons, completely ignoring things like the 250 years of conflict between the humans and the charr and the tentative alliance they're now forming, the creation and emergence of the sylvari, the doom of Ascalon, I mean holy crap that's a lot to just gloss over.

Now I'm not going to give Yahtzee crap over his criticism of the personal story for two reasons. One being the lack of choices is something that I recognized before the game was even released. The second is he's already explained that he doesn't have time to play every single race/profession combination in an MMO before deadline, so I can't fault him for only going with the human storyline, which admittedly has the most stereotypical of the character backgrounds. He might have found it more amusing to play a norn that woke up one morning with a hangover after getting shit faced at the moot the other night and can't remember what happened. But at any rate, while I think the personal story -does- manage to give a player some kind of personal connection to the overarching plot, being the go-to guy/girl of one of Tyria's big movers and shakers, it admittedly does feel a little mass-produced at times. But with an MMO, you can't expect a perfectly custom tailored storyline in all aspects, and in GW2's case, I still think it's a better fit than the one-size-fits-all plot lines most other MMO's try to convince you just need some breaking in to fit you properly.

As to the gameplay discussion, yeah, Yahtzee's pretty much on the ball there. The controls are nice and tight without copious hotkey bars cluttering the screen, but once you get a comfortable loadout, you'll only need to swap skills for very specific situations. And yes, some of the skills are a little head-scratching in their nature (like why does my thief need a tripwire trap when the poison trap immobilizes the enemy anyway?)

It's also true some of the very early missions feel like standard MMO fare, making you feel like you're doing some slacker's chores for them (and like all the farmers of Tyria have lucked into finding the world's biggest free labor pool when they've got 20 players pulling their weeds and chasing grubs out of their fields for them). However, it's not long before you find yourself helping guards on patrols and defending keeps and towns, which actually get attacked, the NPC's actually getting off their lazy butts and swinging a sword...before getting knocked down in 5 seconds flat by one enemy of a kind you've been mass murdering for the last 10 minutes. But hey, at least they're trying, which is more than I can say for those dip shits in Goldshire and Durotar.

So in short, I think Yahtzee was a lot kinder in this review than he's been to a lot of other MMO's. But I think his evaluation of the game's plot is reflective of either a very tight deadline schedule or a tendency to deliberately overlook things.

Am I crazy or was this an actual positive review?

I love that you can be on your own one minute doing a heart quest thing and then suddenly an event pops up nearby and 10 other people show up and its a party.

The point about not seeing the story is both relevant and irrelevant, I'm a big fan of lore in games but in the first beta event I just wanted to play the game so sort of charged head-first into things and felt disappointed when I found there wasn't much story. By the time the next beta rolled around I decided I was just going to talk to all the NPCs and read everything and found that it's all there, just optional for people like me and those that just want to play the game and not get bogged down by story.

I do think they need to find a better balance with this though, it'd be great if they could get a bit more story out there for everyone rather than just for people like me who are looking for it.

Scars Unseen:
Personally, I'm taking the stance that if people are still raving about this game in 6 months, I might give it a go. I'm done playing MMOs when they first come out.

Understandable position, I said as much in the past but as a big fan of the original I was sort of obligated to buy this one, can't say I'm not glad I made that choice, it's a cool game if a little rough around the edges on things like dungeons and boss encounters.

CCountZero:

Toasty Virus:

Oh, definitely.

It's arguable the best MMO for the Single Player type.

The only real gripe I have with GW2 is, as he so rightly points out, the way nobody ever actually communicates with each other.

For all the things GW2 bats straight out of the park, I really miss the more hands-on grouping mechanics of pre-Lich King WoW and TOR, not to mention EVE.

It's entirely possible that this is down to the business of getting removing the whole Tank/Healer/DamageDealer combination.

It seems to me that, in the older MMOs, if you have a group of friends, your party just got a whole lot better. If you then had those friends on voice comms, well, that made you doubly as effective.

In GW2, that just doesn't seem to be true, and it makes me sad, 'cus grouping with my friends is the absolute number one thing I want from an MMO.

It is absolutely still true. You don't need mass communication in order to do standard PvE content, but then again, in other MMOs you didn't need communication to do that stuff either, AND you were incentivized by the game's mechanics to not even bother trying to group. GW2 at least gives grouping up (if but informally) a real incentive: you kill faster, you survive more easily, you can chain-combo skills, and there's always someone around to res you. There are tremendous force amplifier mechanics that make grouping useful.

The parts of the game that require communication in other MMOs (PvP, dungeons, large-scale bosses) are either much harder or even impossible without good communication. Running a dungeon with a group in Vent is so much easier and faster than doing the same dungeon in a group of randoms who don't talk, or even just use text.

I was never really able to get into MMO's (WOW especially), but Guild Wars 2 ,as Yahtzee describes it surprisingly, sounds like the first MMO I might actually be able to get invested in. I've only seen a bit of footage for Guild Wars 2 so I'm not sure if I should commit to it though. Perhaps I should wait until I finish Borderlands 2.

Anyways, hilarious review as always Yahtzee.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here