Zero Punctuation: Guild Wars 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

I tried GW1 and it really didnt do it for me. Now when many of my friends have gotten GW2 and some are bugging me to get it as well, I found this review of particular interest, even if I didnt quite find it as positive as some others.

A buff that turns nearby moths into jam? Possible spoilers? Could be. I look forward to finding out.

What the hell is wrong with people here?
"Skill points aren't useless because legendaries" ...

Is this what MMOs do to people?
Legendaries in GW2 are exactly the same stat-wise as exotics.
The only things that makes them "better" are achievements and looking good.

If you sort of know what you're doing, you can have your exotic with stat-distribution of choice, AND transmute it into something else with pretty looks, almost immediately on dinging 80.

Having to spend an additional 200 hours to not get an upgrade does not make skill points less useless

I like this game and all, and I do intend to get one legendary (for the achievement), but I know it's a complete waste of time.

Danceofmasks:

Having to spend an additional 200 hours to not get an upgrade does not make skill points less useless

I like this game and all, and I do intend to get one legendary (for the achievement), but I know it's a complete waste of time.

Or you can spend them on Siege master's guides for upgrade siege blue prints and on Philosopher's Stones for upgrading materials at the mystic forge. That and when the inevitable expansions come out more skills.

Philosopher's Stone + Tier 2 Dust + Tier 2 Material + Tier 1 Material = Tier 2 material

Just change around numbers for other tiers.

Danceofmasks:

Well to be fair, yes it actually does.

It's just that you personally don't see the value in doing that. But that doesn't make them useless, they have a very clear function and you just don't want to bother with that function. That's okay, but that's opinion. The fact of the matter is, whether you recognize it as useful to you personally or not, the skill points DO have a purpose and function beyond purchasing skills.

Heck, I don't even intend to pursue my own legendary (as I consider it too much time for no real gain, and basically GW2's method of keeping players interested long-term, like how WoW uses raiding to get the best items) and I still recognize that it doesn't render the idea invalid. Much like Sprite isn't invalidated simply because 7-UP and Sierra Mist exist, and some people are perfectly happy spending money on Sprite. Fine if you don't like it, but that doesn't make it unnecessary.

Also as another user pointed out, the Mystic Forge practically revolves around skill points. Legendaries are just one example of skill point usage. Most people get their Lvl 80 exotics from the Forge via skill point exchanges.

CriticKitten:

Danceofmasks:

It's just that you personally don't see the value in doing that. But that doesn't make them useless, they have a very clear function and you just don't want to bother with that function. That's okay, but that's opinion. The fact of the matter is, whether you recognize it as useful to you personally or not, the skill points DO have a purpose and function beyond purchasing skills.

Heck, I don't even intend to pursue my own legendary (as I consider it too much time for no real gain, and basically GW2's method of keeping players interested long-term, like how WoW uses raiding to get the best items) and I still recognize that it doesn't render the idea invalid. Much like Sprite isn't invalidated simply because 7-UP and Sierra Mist exist, and some people are perfectly happy spending money on Sprite. Fine if you don't like it, but that doesn't make it unnecessary.

Also as another user pointed out, the Mystic Forge practically revolves around skill points. Legendaries are just one example of skill point usage. Most people get their Lvl 80 exotics from the Forge via skill point exchanges.

Your analogy with Sprite vs 7-UP and Sierra Mist would only work if you have to walk 20 miles to get the Sprite.

Danceofmasks:

CriticKitten:

Danceofmasks:

Your analogy with Sprite vs 7-UP and Sierra Mist would only work if you have to walk 20 miles to get the Sprite.

Except that I have a car and could just drive there. *shrug* There are fast ways to obtain legendaries, too, because some folks already have them (legitimately) and the game is only a month old.

Besides, some people would be happy to do so, simply because they enjoy Sprite. The only universe in which choice is invalidated and rendered "useless" is when the choice is made for you.

I appreciate that you see no need to go after legendaries. I don't really plan to, either. But I'm not ignorant enough to claim that this means that skill points are entirely useless simply because *I* choose not to use them. >_>

"Dragons lately"

You mean that Guild Wars DIDN'T HAVE 2 dragons, plus a lot of foreshadowing to dragons awakening in sequel.

That's 2008, when last expansion pack came out.

I wish people at least tried to read lore of the previous game before judging the story in it.

Danceofmasks:

Is this what MMOs do to people?
Legendaries in GW2 are exactly the same stat-wise as exotics.
The only things that makes them "better" are achievements and looking good.

Which is awesome. No tiered gear progression is one of the things I like most about GW2. Means I can drop out of the game for a while without having the feeling I've missed out on something and need to catch up.

It also does away with all the "Your gear must be X levels above stuff that drops in this instance or you're not getting into my group for this instance" nonsense. I hear they did not implement an inspect function precisely to combat gear elitism.

Also, skill points are useful for other things, too. Mystic weapons sell quite high on TP I hear.

I thought it was hysterical when he said "The whole server's a party and everyone is invited".

Dude, I know you really hate MMORPGs but, are you ever going to review The Secret World?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here