Ishmael Returns

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

lacktheknack:

Imp Emissary:

lacktheknack:

Did the coining of the term "twinkle-tits" not make it up to you? D:

Anyways, if I remember correctly, she chucked an Xbox at Sharon's head (that was Sharon, right?). This is expected backlash.

No, that was her friend with the red hair.

:( I can't remember how to spell her name...It starts with a M.

Well, THAT explains why she's still hired.

Maybe M is friends with Sharon.

Shame for not remembering Molly

Besides that, Suchong looks like she's ready to pounce and tear Sharon's head off

Sharon is GlaDOS? :P

...or maybe somebody just subconsciously and irrationally feels her alfa-female position threatened and reflexively asserts power over the perceived rival, all made easier to justify to herself, by the latter's somewhat abrasive personality.
</overthink>

Sorry, but given how Erin has behaved the past 30-40 comic strips or so, I do NOT feel sorry for her. In fact, she deserves worse. In fact, -I- would be the girl making fun of her.

Also, given how sociopathic Eerin is, why is she putting on a mopey face instead of going for an attempted murder on account of a fat joke?

Hmm, I thought there was going to be a whale in this.

My reasoning:

I had just got done watching footage of a real white whale, then I came here and saw "Ishmael" in the title.

Urgh76:

lacktheknack:

Imp Emissary:

No, that was her friend with the red hair.

:( I can't remember how to spell her name...It starts with a M.

Besides that, Suchong looks like she's ready to pounce and tear Sharon's head off

So that's her name. But didn't she call her a nickname too? I think it was Mole, and her daughter was Mini Mole, right?

Also, Suchong is male.

rhodo:
Sorry, but given how Erin has behaved the past 30-40 comic strips or so, I do NOT feel sorry for her. In fact, she deserves worse. In fact, -I- would be the girl making fun of her.

Also, given how sociopathic Eerin is, why is she putting on a mopey face instead of going for an attempted murder on account of a fat joke?

She's use to Sharon's evil by now. Plus, she's her boss,>_> her scary boss. Erin's crazy, not stupid. ;p

Sonic Doctor:
Hmm, I thought there was going to be a whale in this.

My reasoning:

I had just got done watching footage of a real white whale, then I came here and saw "Ishmael" in the title.

<_<....Maybe it's another fat joke?

Critical Miss: Now with more bodyshaming than ever!

Given how Erin treats other people, it's quite nice to see her getting a taste of her own medicine. Perhaps I'd be more inclined to feel sorry for her if she didn't start bar fights in hope of getting tail and holding a new coworker at knife-point because she's jealously "guarding" what she sees as "her turf".

Imp Emissary:

Urgh76:

lacktheknack:

So that's her name. But didn't she call her a nickname too? I think it was Mole, and her daughter was Mini Mole, right?

Also, Suchong is male.

Oopsie.

For a reference I remembered

I guess I got the roles mixed up.

Urgh76:

Imp Emissary:

Urgh76:

Also, Suchong is male.

Oopsie.

For a reference I remembered

I guess I got the roles mixed up.

I love Suchong's family side story. They could make a whole comic out of just that.

I know she's looked this way for awhile, but I love Sharon's new look as opposed to how she looked when she was first introduced. I'd love to see more strips with her!

After rereading all the old strips I am reminded that Erin was a horrible person even before the accident and Sharon has been calling her fat the whole time. So nope, I do not feel sorry for Erin.

Daystar Clarion:
I can't imagine being able to put up with a job where the boss treats me like crap.

My boss punched me in the face on the shop floor once, had to stay as I needed the money though.

have you ever had to deal with a tsundere in REAL life before?

God dam they are annoying as f*ck..

With Erin interacting with video-game characters and all I can't shake the feeling that Philip is really Ganon...

Anyone else notice that Sharon isn't as fat as she used to be? I'm kinda deisapointed now, because when she used to call Erin fat, it made Sharon look insecure because she was bigger than Erin.

Anyone else hating how all the character's looks are being changed? Next thing you know,Elliot won't have red eyes anymore, Penny will have a tan, Charles will be a Panda, and worst of all, Clive, Stu and Carbomb will reappear in the comic series!

Doclector:

WanderingFool:

Idsertian:
Should I feel bad for Erin? Because I feel bad for Erin. You should all feel bad for Erin too, her expression in the last panel is heartbreaking.

Nope. Before, sure. But after several weeks of Erin gone Loco, I cant really feel to sorry for her now.

This isn't really a serious complaint, I mean, it's a webcomic, so it's not exactly a big societal issue, so sorry if I sound a little hostile, but why does being crazy negate any and all sympathy for her? Crazy people do still have feelings. Well, unless their very condition is complete apathy, but Erin is far from that.

Because pulling out a knife on a co-worker out of casual jealousy is the action of a sympathetic character,

It's basic storytelling 101: A good protagonist is someone who the audience can relate to or at least sympathise with. Nobody can relate to or sympathise with Erin unless they're schitzophrenic sociopaths with a long history of violant behavior.

Go for a throat punch
UPPERCUT!

Imp Emissary:

<_<....Maybe it's another fat joke?

I kind of figured that. I just found it weird that after I watched a video of a white whale, I came here and saw that name. Considering, I understandably had been thinking of Moby Dick when saw the video.

Some of you guys take this comic to seriously.

Idsertian:
Should I feel bad for Erin? Because I feel bad for Erin. You should all feel bad for Erin too, her expression in the last panel is heartbreaking.

That said, she's probably cooking up some revenge plan as we speak.

HAH! I see what you did there!

Punch You:
Anyone else notice that Sharon isn't as fat as she used to be? I'm kinda deisapointed now, because when she used to call Erin fat, it made Sharon look insecure because she was bigger than Erin.

Anyone else hating how all the character's looks are being changed? Next thing you know,Elliot won't have red eyes anymore, Penny will have a tan, Charles will be a Panda, and worst of all, Clive, Stu and Carbomb will reappear in the comic series!

It's good to know this kind of thinking isn't solely exclusive to Sonic fans. Makes me feel a little less pathetic.

Blunderboy:
She's still less of a twat than Erin.

I sense a twat off!

BX3:

Idsertian:

Punch You:

It's good to know this kind of thinking isn't solely exclusive to Sonic fans. Makes me feel a little less pathetic.

Really? Let me ask you something, of two people, who sounds more pathetic?

A man who comes on to a forum contributing to a discussion in a meaningful manner

Or a kid who comes to a forum to berate and insult the man?

Sharon might be horrible, but at least she's funny.

Her calling her fat is like teasing Mr Universe for being "so weedy".

It just doesn't make sense. I don't get how girls make such insults?

As much as the story tries to spin it....I think that we should be realizing that Erin is really the antagonist of this little story, and we're just watching here annoy and threaten and try to ruin everyone's lives around her and see their reactions while they try to put up with her.

We'll come to find out most of the "positive" things about Erin are her really just twisting the story.

CAPTCHA: Spin Doctor.

Damn straight.

Punch You:
Anyone else notice that Sharon isn't as fat as she used to be? I'm kinda disappointed now, because when she used to call Erin fat, it made Sharon look insecure because she was bigger than Erin.

Yeah, I thought that was the general idea before. Maybe it's all part of an unpublished story arc for Sharon. Her insecurities lead to her using cocaine as a confidence booster and an appetite suppressant. Look at her in the second panel, she looks haggered and washed out like she's been doing too much coke. Sadly, despite her weight loss her insecurities remain and have no doubt been exacerbated by the psychological effects of prolonged cocaine use, resulting in the behaviour displayed towards Erin in this strip.
I think Grey & Cory should now illustrate this harrowing tale of a once promising career woman cracking under the pressures of modern day living, ending with her untimely death from a suspected deliberate overdose of vodka and painkillers.
As for Erin, her worsening bouts of schizophrenia see her institutionalised on several occasions. Unable to hold down a job and pushing away her friends with her increasingly erratic and sometimes dangerous behaviour she ends up sleeping on the streets, where she finally dies of a combination of alcoholism, exposure and malnutrition at the age of 29, mourned only by Suchong who goes into a deep depression upon his owners death. Happily, he is rescued by his loving family and they move away to the country to live a simple but ultimately more fulfilling life.
Critical Miss, a modern tragedy.

Devoneaux:

Really? Let me ask you something, of two people, who sounds more pathetic?

A man who comes on to a forum contributing to a discussion in a meaningful manner

Or a kid who comes to a forum to berate and insult the man?

HAH! Trick question! It's the one that uses hypotheticals as a sly way to, himself, insult someone. Thought ya had me, but I'm a wiz at trivia. ( ̄ー ̄)

But on a serious note: my comment was more of a self depreciating quip than an outright insult (I'm one o' dem dreaded Sonic fans you see. Just in case that wasn't clear.). I was just commenting on how reacting unfavorably to a slight artistic change in the comic and stating how much of a slippery slop that one change will cause is a taaaad bit silly, y'know, like the "green eyes" thing with Sonic. After all, I'm pretty sure the artist isn't making the characters look different on purpose. *shrugs

Though, I guess because of how frowned upon Sonic fans in general are on this site, the comment came off looking a lot more malicious than how I intended, and for that I apologize.

Treblaine:
Her calling her fat is like teasing Mr Universe for being "so weedy".

It just doesn't make sense. I don't get how girls make such insults?

The same way we guys throw around the "virgin" insult despite not having the first clue whether or not it's true for that person in particular: Because it's easy and it stings like a bullet ant bite. I blame television! *shakes fist*

Quoted from the description:

I've always liked the idea that Sharon is actually quite nice and Erin just brings out the worst in her.

This goes against all of Sharon's characterization throughout the rest of the webcomic. Even her treating Phillip pleasantly is arguably out of character for her. See:

BX3:

Idsertian:

See what I did? Did I do something? Ooh, ooh! Did I inadvertently make a funny?

Idsertian:

I think they said it best:

I've always liked the idea that Sharon is actually quite nice and Erin just brings out the worst in her.

Erin is funny as Hell, but she's kind of...A bad person. I can see this being accurate.

Idsertian:

"Cooking up." Get it? Because Erin's fat according to Sharon!

*looks around awkwardly*

Well, I thought it was funny

BX3:

Idsertian:

"Cooking up." Get it? Because Erin's fat according to Sharon!

*looks around awkwardly*

Well, I thought it was funny

Ohhh, I see. Well then, yay for me making a funny, albeit inadvertently. I think I'll leave the comic relief to Grey and Cory from now on though.

Rather than Tsundere, and any kind of romantic wierdness, I'd probably use the term "Frenemy" where I think at the end of the say Sharon and Erin are friends, but Sharon messes with her (and to be honest it seems like Erin probably gets in her shots). The kind of relationship where you might not recognize a friendship from the outside with all the sparring.

If you wanted to get technical, Sharon apparently has Erin's back someone fierce because otherwise Erin *would* be out of a job. Especially if the boss didn't like her to begin with, Erin has probably given "cause" for her own termination twenty times over. Even allowing for this being a cartoon and a bit of surrealism (with say the knife not being literally present, but instead indicative of the sentiments being expressed, I've never taken Critical Miss as something that is supposed to be showing events literally all the time).

It's also noteworthy that this is more like a joke, because if Sharon was being mean spirited she wouldn't have told Erin she edited the wikipedia page (and it could be days before Erin figured it out, if ever, depending on whether she calls her own page very often). It would be easily reversible.

Also being actually FAT isn't nessicarly the point, going with the whole "Frenemy" thing this is a way of telling someone to whom it matters, that they could stand to lose a couple of pounds. If one reads into this that Erin's recent problems and medications (which can cause you to put on weight) have lead to her putting on a couple of pounds, which she might not have realized with everything going on. The big question is whether or not Erin minds the pounds, which we can probably infer she does, so on some levels this is actually a friendly jibe by way of making a point.

I hope I'm explaining that well, but that's my guess as to their relationship.

THAT said I think we're all looking far deeper than the actual strip's point, which was the comments being made to Erin, as some truely morbid fatso walks by and she's friendly to him, which was kind of the "punchline".

So, the main character gets called fat and unimportant... funny? What exactly is this comic doing. Its not a joke, it doesn't really tell a story. What is going on? Why was this made?

I want to like her and feel sorry for her, but Erin is not a sympathetic character.
I forgot Sharon is supposed to be really attractive... Huh.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 4442)