Escape to the Movies: The Master

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Master

Could The Master master this year's Academy Awards?

Watch Video

I think the escapist should have a standby movie reviewer for this time of year.

Edit: It's always the same isn't it? You start out thinking you can master the tides, but instead you just end-up riding the Wave.
Now THAT'S an obscure reference!

I'm not really into character pieces, but I'll take a good look at Dread and Looper.

Dredd is great, and if you are familiar with the comics there are a few nice touches in the background. The ticker on a news report, or a couple of the graffiti tags in particular. I hope this is the start of action films not being afraid of being too violent too. If they had toned anything down it would have been as bad as the Stallone Dredd.

An obscure reference? Sho'nuff.

Who's the prettiest?!!!

5 movies, 1 review.

Ne1butme:
Who's the prettiest?!!!

SHO'NUFF!!

I also second seeing Dredd, it's one of the coolest dark action films I've seen in years, and Karl Urban is fantastic in it - even if you never see most of his face.

I feel like I should have been more excited for this than I am. Going to see Looper tonight though.

Guess "The Last Dragon" is not as obscure as you thought, Bob. However...

*holds up a very much destroyed Obscure-O-Meter*

...we need a replacement now.

Deathlyphil:
Dredd is great, and if you are familiar with the comics there are a few nice touches in the background. The ticker on a news report, or a couple of the graffiti tags in particular. I hope this is the start of action films not being afraid of being too violent too. If they had toned anything down it would have been as bad as the Stallone Dredd.

Ya but Stallone Dredd is funnier.

Nope, just obscure enough :3

Movie: The Master
Bob: The Blaster

...WHY.
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND US THAT BEYOND THUNDERDOME EXISTS? Why, Bob, why?

ZippyDSMlee:

Deathlyphil:

Stallone Dredd has the aesthetic down, that's it. It was an awful film.

Was really hoping to hear about Looper. Sad Mezmer is sad. Oh well. Master sounds interesting; not sure if I'll spare the time to see it, but maybe I can watch it over winter break when cinemas start showing oscar nominees again.

Ah yes, I knew you were going for the "milkshake" part of There Will Be Blood haha!

BTW since I backed up Dredd prior to release and/or review I'll also back up Looper for those who haven't seen it. It is a great film with a lot more going for it than the trailer suggests. Granted now I can see how Bob claimed some parts of the trailer did spoil one or two details but nothing that will ruin the legitimate surprises and character developments.

The Master however has yet to be shown where I am, but I am intrigued.

"who's the one and only master.""I am."

Didn't like There Will Be Blood (even that milkshake scene). Definitely won't like this.

Gotta love Daniel Day-Lewis.

Happy to see Joaquin Phoenix getting some love here. Sometimes I think he suffers from Harrison Ford Syndrome, slipping so comfortably into character roles that he makes it look like he's not even trying... and so people assume he's not trying. The only thing that stands out for them are him playing Johnny Cash or screaming at the top of his lungs AM I NOT MERCIFUL?!? but I've always appreciated him.

Too obscure? Sho'nuff!

I can vouch for Bob's review of The Master. It's pretty much everything he said it was, though he forgot to mention the gorgeous visuals (though that's pretty much a given when it comes to PTA), and I do have to disagree with him when he says that it lacks anything "water-cooler conversation" worthy (because there's a scene in this movie where.............I won't spoil it.)

Also, if you have the option of seeing the film in 70mm, I strongly recommend that you take it - although this greatly depends on two factors: (A) Where you live, and (B) Whether or not you can time travel.

Speaking of time travel, Looper was also a good movie - probably the best time travel movie I've seen in quite some time.

Also Dredd was a lot of fun too. It lacks Looper's intelligence, but makes up for it with bloody violence and inventive slow-motion.

I'll also second Dredd. Good film, worth seeing. And before anyone jumps in, yes, the plot setup is almost identical to The Raid. It's still a good film in its own right.

"A true master would use this to hold up his pants."

DVS BSTrD:
It's always the same isn't it? You start out thinking you can master the tides, but instead you just end-up riding the Wave.

Well done. Well done indeed.

Deathlyphil:

Oo, the film is filled with Easter eggs. Like in the beginning when they show the city scape of the blocks, all the names are various artist whose drawn dredd, there's also an umply candy machine in peach trees and otto sump store. And a dead fattie in the beginning chase scene with belly wheel. There's supposed to be loads more from what I've heard, which makes the film so re-watchable. Someone told me one of the punks in the drug bust has Drok! On the back of his jacket.

Falseprophet:
I'll also second Dredd. Good film, worth seeing. And before anyone jumps in, yes, the plot setup is almost identical to The Raid. It's still a good film in its own right.

"A true master would use this to hold up his pants."

DVS BSTrD:
It's always the same isn't it? You start out thinking you can master the tides, but instead you just end-up riding the Wave.

Well done. Well done indeed.

*Looks at screen name*
Well I'd be disappointed if you didn't even get it ;)

Sorry not gonna watch dredd when it's only released in 3D! Fuck you very much to whoever thought that was a good idea.

Dammit, why couldn't this have been a Doctor Who spinoff movie???

This man:

Needs his own movie.
On the other hand, Phillip Seymour Hoffman would make for a really weird Master...

Nevertheless, glad it's good, love Hoffman, will probably see it.

Deathlyphil:

ZippyDSMlee:

Deathlyphil:

Stallone Dredd has the aesthetic down, that's it. It was an awful film.

Batman and Robin is worse, Stallone Dredd is a quriky action flick that is more fun than brain numbing like Demolition man, classic Total recall and Mortal Combat.

Now that sounds like a interesting premise. Hope it doesn't take that long before the film comes here.

DVS BSTrD:
Edit: It's always the same isn't it? You start out thinking you can master the tides, but instead you just end-up riding the Wave.

Got that one ;). But the reason for that is that here in germany that book is the subject in school at one point for everyone.

delroland:

Ne1butme:
Who's the prettiest?!!!

SHO'NUFF!!

AM I THE MEANEST!?

Dredd was fucking amazing. But god damn Karl Urban's face must have been sore for months after grimacing like that for an entire film. I'm still convinced they just told him to do a Clint Eastwood impression and then put a helmet on him. That voice was so Clint. The movie has made me want to check out the comics.

luvd1:

Deathlyphil:
snip

Oo, the film is filled with Easter eggs. Like in the beginning when they show the city scape of the blocks, all the names are various artist whose drawn dredd, there's also an umply candy machine in peach trees and otto sump store. And a dead fattie in the beginning chase scene with belly wheel. There's supposed to be loads more from what I've heard, which makes the film so re-watchable. Someone told me one of the punks in the drug bust has Drok! On the back of his jacket.

In the news bit at the beginning, the ticker mentions "the Fergee Memorial", so all the Chief Judge Cal stuff has happened. The tower blocks thing is definitely from the comics. I was at a con a few months ago where they auctioned off the chance to have a tower block named after you. It went for quite a lot of money.

I spotted "Chopper" (infamous skysurfer) and "Kenny Who?" (nickname for famous artist Cam Kennedy) graffiti. Going to have to watch it a fair few times to be sure. Given the size of the city, I'm going to assume the Apocalypse War has happened too. Originally the city stretched from the Canadian border to the tip of Florida.

Saw Loopers last night. If you can get over the one or two glaring logic fails it's a good watch.

Stabby Joe:
Ah yes, I knew you were going for the "milkshake" part of There Will Be Blood haha!

So what MovieBob is saying is that the milkshake brought all the boys to the yard?

You are a bad person...a very bad bad person.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here