Unskippable: Atelier Meruru, Part Two

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Atelier Meruru, Part Two

The epic tale of a princess who is woefully under-dressed for a walk outside the castle.

Watch Video

Wow that was dull. At least the last game's intro had a explosion. Also I'm guessing there's even more to this?

Final joke, so awesome.
Also the lack of lip-sync (I'm guessing the 3d models didn't even had lips) was uncanny.

What's the plot of these?

All the castle guards just keep telling themselves "Ignore the lack of pants, she's 15"

What guards?

OK, so leaving aside the gameplay, and story, and animation, and textures...leaving aside a lot:

I much prefer Japanese games that embrace a pure manga-style art direction over those that try to do this weird hybrid of manga-style with photorealism (I'm looking at you, FF13). The latter is an even deeper dive into the uncanny valley than Western developers who attempt pure photorealism.

MatParker116:
What's the plot of these?

Magical girl seeks alchemical stuff and has mechanical adventures?

I wanted to say magical 3 times, but then I remembered these games have something to do with alchemy. I kinda miss the purposefully off-key flute, though.

So this game is marketed to... who, exactly?

As an animator, those walk cycles offend me.

The video, however, was funny and enjoyable.

josh4president:

to girls who love anime and JRPGs

DVS BSTrD:

All the castle guards just keep telling themselves "Ignore the lack of pants, she's 15"

What guards?

I don't think we wanna know where those guards are or what they're doing if they keep thinking about a pantsless 15-year-old girl...>_<

Surprised at the lack of matador jokes.

"We've got no machinery, no alchemy, no nothin'!"
In fact, our kingdom has no worthwhile industries at all. The people are desperately poor! Even their Princess can't afford pants.

She either needed pants, or a longer skirt, one of the two.

"I may look 18, but I'm actually 35, and I'm getting too old for this shit," made me laugh heartily.

Rufus is infinitely more interesting than the adventures of Princess Whats-Her-Face. More of him please. :/

P.S. "Five different weather systems vying for control of the sky"-- also more interesting than the adventures of Princess Wheres-Her-Pants.

Ohhh yeah, I wondered why her running looked so weird... I mean besides the bizzare artstyle.

I'm really curious to know who's buying these games, because clearly they just have money to throw away. Maybe give that money to me?

Also I'm noticing a trend with these characters, in which more and more leg is shown. They've pretty much already raised the skirt and bloomers as high as they can, the next step for them would be either to remove the pants entirely (terrifying) or just give them incredibly long and skinny legs (also terrifying)

My god her voice is so. Damn. Annoying.

Wow. I do not envy you guys if this is the material you have to work with. Was Princess Pantless's running cycle so awkward because of her impractical shoes? Is there nothing to do in this tiny, featureless kingdom? I dare say the guitar riffs were an improvement over this series-with-the-unpronouncable-name trademark off-key flute.

captcha: mish-mash
how does this thing know what I'll have for dinner?

Why are underdressed underage girls such a staple of jrpgs? It's weird and gross.

I wonder why Liam O' Brian is so prominent in the intro to these games. I mean, you'd think they'd have enough voice actors to not have the same guy playing the first appearing male role of the sequel to the last game, but no. First he's a messenger, now he's a butler.

josh4president:

Pantsless teen fans? I have no idea, really.

During the comment about the running speed of the Pantsless Princess I realized that the ground doesn't have any grass. It's just glowing, slightly pulsating green jell-o. Or they decided to cut out the middle-man and build the entire kingdom on top of one giant tentacle monster.

When we saw Rufus i kept holding out for a scene where someone finally walks through a door...
I was left disappointed :(

Ulquiorra4sama:
When we saw Rufus i kept holding out for a scene where someone finally walks through a door...
I was left disappointed :(

You have to buy the Openable Doors DLC.

Jeez, I'm usually a fan of JRPGs...

But wow, these cutscenes are... laughably inept.

Now, I could almost see myself playing the other two, but THIS! It was just so bad; I was in tears from the laughter by the end of it. Excellent video guys. You should do a let's play of this!

Johnson McGee:
Why are underdressed underage girls such a staple of jrpgs? It's weird and gross.

In medieval times, girls her age got married. In Canada, the age of consent was raised from 14 to 16 in 2008; in Mexico it's 12. So, given that the game is not targeted at older players, featuring under-dressed young girls should be fine.

In the immortal words of Strongbad: "Soooo many repeating textures!"

I for one enjoyed the games in this series very much. Crafting items to use in battle, and choosing their characteristics and quality provided hours of entertainment. The only glaring shortcoming for me is that these games are practically on a timer.

Fun game, terrible plot. :P

JonnyHG:
I for one enjoyed the games in this series very much. Crafting items to use in battle, and choosing their characteristics and quality provided hours of entertainment. The only glaring shortcoming for me is that these games are practically on a timer.

Wait you actually kill shit in this game? Wow...

Alexnader:

JonnyHG:

Wait you actually kill shit in this game? Wow...

http://youtu.be/ZRdbqOusm78

Some battle techs are pretty cool actually.

THe thing is battle requires some preparation, since Meruru doesn't have special techs, but can use powerful items, that she has to make in advance.

Don Reba:

Johnson McGee:

In medieval times, girls her age got married. In Canada, the age of consent was raised from 14 to 16 in 2008; in Mexico it's 12. So, given that the game is not targeted at older players, featuring under-dressed young girls should be fine.

In medieval times women were considered as property and spoils of war. In Canada, it's considered socially unacceptable for adult men to be in relationships with teenage girls and to be a smartass. Lastly, I asked why it's a staple of jrpgs, not just this one. There are plenty of jrpgs with this problem directed at older audiences.

Wait, do all three of these protagonists have the same voice actress? Because all three of their voices sound very much the same (all high pitched and irritating).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here