Unskippable: Atelier Meruru, Part Two

Pages PREV 1 2

OK, this is a weird request, but I actually want a part 3.
Nothing bloody happened in this damn cutscene. Nothing. Give the other Atelier games credit, stuff happened in their intros. You gotta give me something other than some girl walking around.

Alexnader:

JonnyHG:
I for one enjoyed the games in this series very much. Crafting items to use in battle, and choosing their characteristics and quality provided hours of entertainment. The only glaring shortcoming for me is that these games are practically on a timer.

Wait you actually kill shit in this game? Wow...

Yes you do and the battles are actually pretty fun. This video doesn't do a good job of showing the gameplay/battle system. I imagine that wasn't its purpose.

Johnson McGee:

Don Reba:

Johnson McGee:
Why are underdressed underage girls such a staple of jrpgs? It's weird and gross.

In medieval times, girls her age got married. In Canada, the age of consent was raised from 14 to 16 in 2008; in Mexico it's 12. So, given that the game is not targeted at older players, featuring under-dressed young girls should be fine.

In medieval times women were considered as property and spoils of war. In Canada, it's considered socially unacceptable for adult men to be in relationships with teenage girls and to be a smartass. Lastly, I asked why it's a staple of jrpgs, not just this one. There are plenty of jrpgs with this problem directed at older audiences.

What I am saying is that in many cultures teenage sexuality is not considered weird or gross, and Japan is apparently one of them. There are different levels of tolerance for this around the world. Even if it is not socially acceptable for an adult to be in a relationship with a teenager in Canada, at least the adults acknowledge that teenagers could desire to be sexually attractive to their own.

Am I the only one that finds that Rufus creepily resembles Sephiroth?

Johnson McGee:
Why are underdressed underage girls such a staple of jrpgs? It's weird and gross.

Well Meruru is 15 at the start and 20 at the end. She looks exactly the same at 20 than at 15 though. :P

Dragokrux:

He's just a bishounen. At least his hair ain't white.

No trophy just for starting the game? Aww, I was concentrating on the upper-right corner of the screen just waiting for the little notification to appear! Wait, maybe it'll happen in part 3!

BlueJoneleth:

Dragokrux:

He's just a bishounen. At least his hair ain't white.

Plus his bangs aren't as big.

this game needs a MLP:FIM mod to make it interesting

Evil Smurf:
this game needs a MLP:FIM mod to make it interesting

No need, there are already unicorns as monsters in this game.

You need to kill them to get their horns, because they are powerful healing crafting components.

I can't believe they never mentioned how annoying that voice actress sounds. I mean, I know that JRPGs quite often have horrible voice acting but that alone would literally make this game totally impossible for me to play. This is why I almost never play JRPGs even though I used to love them.

Eternal_Lament:
I'm really curious to know who's buying these games, because clearly they just have money to throw away. Maybe give that money to me?

Stop being condescending.

JonnyHG:
I for one enjoyed the games in this series very much. Crafting items to use in battle, and choosing their characteristics and quality provided hours of entertainment. The only glaring shortcoming for me is that these games are practically on a timer.

Yeah, it kind of forces you to be efficient about how you spend your time synthesizing/gathering/fighting.
To be honest, it also kind of frustrated me a little bit because I get this nagging feeling that I'm not doing things right.
And I also made the mistake of trying for a perfect run of Totori on my first playthrough... it became a lot more enjoyable once I started doing things on my own pace and stopped following the guide I was reading.

Not to mention how much I loved the art, aesthetics and the designs of the characters of these series. The artist is pretty damn good.

Iron_will:

Eternal_Lament:
I'm really curious to know who's buying these games, because clearly they just have money to throw away. Maybe give that money to me?

Stop being condescending.

Not really sure why you singled me out, but that still doesn't change the fact that money is going to this series and NOT to ME

Alright, in all seriousness I'm not being condescending, I'm just really confused. Maybe it's because I'm not totally engrossed in the JRPG genre or community, but I don't see what it is about this series that is better than say any other JRPG series. I'm willing to accept that mechanics wise there's something in this series worth playing, but you have to be really dedicated to those mechanics to sit through stuff like this, it just looks awful. It looks less like a game known for it's gripping story and characters or fantastic gameplay and more the type of thing you buy just to show your friends that a series like this exists, hence the "money to throw away"

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here