Resident Evil 6 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Steve Waltz:

Nieroshai:

WMDogma:
Resident Evil 6 Review

Remember when Resident Evil used to be about survival horror?

Read Full Article

Yeah, back in the first game. That changed with number 2. Sorry, it's an action series about Umbrella.

Huh? What gameplay differences were there that you find Resident Evil 2 is not a true blue survival/horror? I can't think of any serious gameplay differences what would change the difference.

Either way, I'm not going to judge Resident Evil 6 before I play it. Capcom's finally blowing the "survival/horror" bridge on Resident Evil and finally focusing on making it an action game. I want to see how good it is. :)

2 was an action game with clunky controls. It had "survival" because it was hard, but it was a shooter. That came with a free machinegun with a pocket dimension in the mag.

Nieroshai:

Steve Waltz:
Huh? What gameplay differences were there that you find Resident Evil 2 is not a true blue survival/horror? I can't think of any serious gameplay differences what would change the difference.

2 was an action game with clunky controls. It had "survival" because it was hard, but it was a shooter. That came with a free machinegun with a pocket dimension in the mag.

I was hoping for some specific examples because I don't see ANY difference between the combat system Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2. Still, it's perfectly fine to me if you feel that way, I just don't see the difference and I was hoping you could show me.

Nieroshai:

GAunderrated:

worldfest:

Well, here's DESTRUCTOID's review with Jim Sterling.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-6-235326.phtml

Other Scores:

Eurogamer - 6/10
IGN - 7.9/10
The Verge - 4/10
G4TV - 2.5/5
OXM - 8/10
CVG - 8/10
StrategyInformer - 8.0/10
Videogamer - 6/10
Gamespot - 4.6/10
Destructoid - 3/10
GamerZines - 75/100
Gametrailers - 8.8/10
Digital Spy - 4/5
OPM - 7/10

I don't know about you, but when I only have $60 to spend on games, I start looking for reasons not to buy titles for a better value. Sifting the wheat.

Play the DEMO, and remember; after the fumbled camera controls and clunky game mechanics, you'll have plenty of Quick-time-Event to button mash your way to another movie scene. Better games are coming out.

And you don't owe a long standing series anything; it's their job to bring originality and innovation to the market.

To me it looks like quite a few reviews gave this game an undeserved 4/5 or 8/10. Honestly if this game didn't have resident evil in its title and all the familiar characters, we would be seeing more 4/10 and 3/5's. Jim sterling is never one to disappoint. :)

But he has been one to miss a point. >:-C I remember the first few videos he posted on the Escapist when he jumped over. He was a dick and often twisted points to suit his narrative. If he's different now, good for him. I stopped watching. Yahtzee does it for laughs, Jim tries to be taken seriously.

If you judge him by his early work you are missing out on how Jim has improved. He did what few do these days and actually took all that constructive feedback no matter how harsh and stopped doing all the crap that people hated in the fir 7 or so episodes.

I'd suggest you give him another chance with a few more recent episodes but its up to you. Since EC left Jim has basically been a 1-2 punch with yatzee now.

COMBAT?
CAPCOM DOES NOT understand that Call of Duty and Battlefield took years -- and several previous installments -- to get to this new generation of addictive FPS. In fact, it's so good that people don't even care about the base, repetitive story line! That's not an accident people.

Actually, Resident Evil 4 is a perfect example -- I can't tell you a single plot point, but I did have a blast!

So, did they follow the COD or BTFLD model after 4? NO! They did just the opposite. Resident Evil 5 & 6 have an over-complicated ANIME story line to top clunky, cumbersome mechanics. But you're not fooling us CAPCOM! This Run-and-Gun genre is too familiar to westerners. We can spot the fakes and cash-ins a mile away, so don't expect 7 to come even close in sales; like Final Fantasy 13-2's abysmal numbers out west.

And the PLOT?
I think they've been trying to capture Hideo Kojima's massive (and laughable) story-arc style for the last three games. But really, c'mon! Resident Evil is all about killing zombies and stopping alphabet viruses. Like I said earlier, this story has for years degenerated into plain, unoriginal anime. And anime plots are where series go to die. Again, refer to Final Fantasy's dwindling western base. I mean, this isn't even Survival Horror anymore! It's just Action Adventure!

I just feel bad for consumers spending good money on it when truly ground-breaking games are coming out very soon.

GAunderrated:
To me it looks like quite a few reviews gave this game an undeserved 4/5 or 8/10. Honestly if this game didn't have resident evil in its title and all the familiar characters, we would be seeing more 4/10 and 3/5's. Jim sterling is never one to disappoint. :)

You could, honestly, say that about a ton of games; i.e. there are a lot of borderline games that get scored higher than they deserved because of name recognition. Nostalgia and/or fanboyism is a hell of a drug(?).

Aiddon:
sir, Resident Evil threw out pretenses of being survival horror seven years ago and it was all the better for it. You're acting like this is a first for the series; it's not. This is no different from 4 or 5. And even during the series' "survival horror" days it tried to have its cake and eat it. You were limited in ammo and healing items....AT FIRST. By the end of all of those games you had enough ammo and weapons to embarrass Rambo and were basically in no position of danger. You would trample Hunters and Lickers like nobody's business and bosses were often taken down with the insane arsenal you collected over the game. And let's not forget the BIGGEST indicator why going the action route was no great sin: the games had NEVER been scary. Ever. Tense, perhaps, but never scary. And if CAPCOM did decide to do another survival horror era for the series, people would get sick of it just like when they got sick of the original formula around the time of 0.

Actually, RE1 Remake on the Cube was scary. Especially moreso for me when I was younger...it actually was scary as fuck, sometimes I'd even turn of the Cube during the cutscenes because I was so scared...too bad im so desensitized to horror/survival now...nothing in games really scares me now.

Mangles69:

Actually, RE1 Remake on the Cube was scary. Especially moreso for me when I was younger...it actually was scary as fuck, sometimes I'd even turn of the Cube during the cutscenes because I was so scared...too bad im so desensitized to horror/survival now...nothing in games really scares me now.

REmake had its moments, but those were almost solely because of Lisa (who was like the Nemesis in that you couldn't kill her). Most of the rest of the game was just standard "shoot what is in the way."

Aiddon:

Mangles69:

REmake had its moments, but those were almost solely because of Lisa (who was like the Nemesis in that you couldn't kill her). Most of the rest of the game was just standard "shoot what is in the way."

OT: The only true scary game, and lets be perfectly honest here, was Doom 3 on release. You know you wanna agree ;)

Mangles69:

OT: The only true scary game, and lets be perfectly honest here, was Doom 3 on release. You know you wanna agree ;)

Yeah, if you're into jump scares

Okay since no one else is going to say it, I will: Leon looks like Dante from DMC4.

I'm fine with using the makers using similar character models but the resemblance is so jarring and weird to me.

The only thing that surprised me is that a part of it felt like it was trying to be a Survival Horror game. I did find Resident Evil Revelations to be a little creepy at times and Resident Evil 4 had a good atmosphere, however they both felt like they were action games.

Resident Evil 5 threw that out and had a lot of the story going on in well lit environments with no horror at all. The co-op was great fun as long as you had an actual person to play with, but alone that game was a nightmare to play.

I am disappointed that this game didn't turn out too good, but I guess I will pick it up when it goes on sale (preferably Steam sale, though I don't know if it will come to Steam).

All they had to do was write a decent story, (which is apparently impossible for this series) and replicate the gameplay from RE 4 with some slight improvements. I knew they'd mess it up but why would they let it get this bad?! I know pretty much all of the RE games but I'm not buying this, at least not at full price, hopefully this will be hailed as crap and they'll refresh the series instead of letting it stagnate further.

Never played Resident Evil, never liked it, don't like the genre. However, I do think it's interesting that, according to the video, it's 6-7x3 hours, much longer than the typical action game.

Terramax:
Basically, it's RE5 but with locations more akin to RE4 and RE2? Strange how RE5 gets near perfect reviews but this one is being hailed as average?

I still remember telling my friends that RE5 sucked but none of them believed me because of the reviews, and also because it was Resident Evil so how could it be bad? lol

For me, it's the feeling of hopelessness and powerlessness, and the suspense of succumbing to an unstoppable force combined with a keen atmosphere that defines a good kind of horror. Not the only kind, but still a good kind.

Resident Evil 1 pioneered with the limited ammo, healing items, and saves; the very fact that you're not guaranteed to have all the ammo you need, the feeling of potentially losing any chance you have, in combination with the prerendered environments and angles that gave it a cinematic flair, that was how Resident Evil 1 was scary.

Resident Evil 3 had Nemesis, who literally represented powerlessness and helplessness; no way you could take that thing on with a handgun. The fucker will ambush you at any time, any place, smashing through walls, doors. When this fucking cue played, you knew it was only a matter of time before it came stomping your way, like a giant moving wall coming at you. You still felt you weren't safe, even if you played the first two games and had the ammo/gunpowder-saving sensibilities to get you through.

RE's ultimate problem is that people who played the games before know what to expect. They know they'll be conserving ammo, they know that there are going to be zombies, and they know that they'll get through the game if they just stick to what the playstyle they learned from previous games. The game no longer tugs on the fear of mortality and how close of a line you are to it, because you know you're going to be towing the same line.

You know, it's kind of pathetic that such a trainwreck of a series was originally based from a game of unpredictability, a game of suspense, atmosphere, and tension. A game that even today can still unnerve with its imagery, music, and presentation.

And that game... is not Resident Evil 1.

in 20 years, a mission briefing in the resident evil series will be indistinguishable from a sesame street episode.

colonel: gentlement, we have an outbreak in Uzbekistan.
our chief source of information has confirmed that we will face the a, b, c,...x, y, z virus.

colonel: and a telegram form agent count has deeply concerned us. i will read it as followed:

i have encountered parasite type 1 ack, ack, ack,
parasite type 2 ack, ack, ack,

soldier: cant we just nuke the place?
colonel: no, the famous pop star xyliticy will explain to you why nuking is bad. BAD!

I was never personally into the survival horror stuff, but I guess I can understand peoples' disappointment though at this point may as well expect this from Resident Evil. I actually had a lotta fun in RE5's co-op with a friend, and 6 might do the same, but it really is just a dumb action movie in game form huh? :P

Leon's campaign was very disappointing if you've played Resident Evil 4.

I managed to get this game on Saturday (thank you Shopto.net) and I completed his campaign in ten hours. The final big bads you had to kill were ridiculously repetitive and at one point I actually said, "How many times do I have to fight the same fucking thing?"

It's good value however if you consider you have three campaigns - all ten hours long and once you've completed all of them you get Ada Wong's campaign too which is another ten hours.

I can't wait until Yahtzee tears this one apart. It's going to be biblical.

Caramel Frappe:
The problem here to me, is that action games are what's selling and everyone else who was known to go their own way envy that thus trying to make their games as close yet not recognizable as say Call of Duty as possible. I can be wrong here, but all sorts of games have been taking a turn ever since COD sold over 7 million games or more with MW3, and how successful Gears of Wars is being.

Resident Evil 6 isn't even a mediocre action game. That title already belongs to Resident Evil 5. RE6 is much worse than being a bad survival horror game or bad Resident Evil game, it is simply shit as a videogame in basically every aspect, regardless of its genre or franchise.

Kopikatsu:
This is kind of how I feel about most of the reviews coming out. Especially during the whole RE:ORC fiasco. People are expecting all of the subsequent games to be re-hashes of the first two games, even though that very clearly isn't what they are. It was especially ridiculous with ORC, when Slant Six said that the USS were trained special forces that were able to fight on a level far above the canon RE protagonists and that game was you verses government Spec Ops with the zombies intentionally being little more than environmental hazards when the game had just started being developed. Come release day, it's getting 2's and 3's because people were expecting a horror game for some reason despite the developers very clearly stating that wasn't the kind of game they were making.

I think people who chalk up the bad reviews (if you can call 3/5 bad) to people expecting horror instead of action need to play the demo. First, I doubt anyone is expecting a straight horror game after RE4 and RE5. But this managed to have none from the two demo scenarios I played (Chris and Jakes) whereas RE4 at least tried to have some horror (can't speak to RE5 since I haven't played it).

But even if people were to simply review it as a straight action game, nothing I played in that demo was enjoyable. The controls frequently didn't work properly, the camera angle kept you from seeing much of anything, cover was useless because standing in the open shooting people worked just fine and what we got in the form of boss battles were some of the most boring piles of shit I've ever seen. If the demo was any indication (and let's be honest here, it'd be surprising if it wasn't) then this is a terrible game on it's own merits. It doesn't need nostalgia to drag it down any farther.

soulfire130:
Okay since no one else is going to say it, I will: Leon looks like Dante from DMC4.

I'm fine with using the makers using similar character models but the resemblance is so jarring and weird to me.

That's because DMC was originally a resident evil sequel starring Leon (who you realise has been around longer than Dante right?)

Wow, congratulations capcom, I've never seen a game with lower user ratings on metacritic then this: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6 There's definitely anger directed towards the series direction has since 4/5.

It's a pretty clear pattern right now: Publisher assumes and is frightened to make anything other than bad versions of COD, gamers despair and indie / old skool devs have another avenue to resurrect great games based on popular but rarely released classics concepts / mechanics (especially with kickstarter and the purchasable alpha).

Thank you publishers! :)

Nieroshai:

WMDogma:
Resident Evil 6 Review

Remember when Resident Evil used to be about survival horror?

Read Full Article

Yeah, back in the first game. That changed with number 2. Sorry, it's an action series about Umbrella.

I'm sorry. What? How is RE 2 or RE nemesis or RE Zero or Code Veronica not survival horror? Zero took place mostly in a similar mansion as 1. 2 and Nemesis might take place in a city, but they don't all of a sudden switch over to fast-paced action/shoot 'em up. I really am not sure what you're getting at.

Maybe I should stop coming to this site for review and just for the videos. I thoroughly enjoy this game and thought transformers was average, yet transformers got a higher score than this game.

I'm not sure how I feel about this review. I already bought the game, so it isn't going to influence me in that regard, and I've yet to finish 100% of the content despite being in Australia and thus getting it early, but... well, the whole thing read like a giant bitchfest that it wasn't a horror game. Sure, being upset at a reinvention of a horror series to an action series isn't something to be happy about, but I expect more from a reviewer. I feel that the game should be reviewed for what it is, an action game, and not for what one wants it to be.

On that note, make no mistake, it is an action game, and Capcom's claims to the contrary are so ludicrous they are almost false advertising. That said, anyone with a brain, combined with five to ten minutes or research, would have been prepared for this and adjusted their expectations according. What I've played of isn't perfect, there are annoying things such as forcing you to walk while the game tries to be scary, and hijacking your camera unnecessarily to bring shit to your attention, but for the most part I've been having a Hell of a lot of fun with it as me and my best mate play through the campaign.

Of course, if you had to play solo, maybe that would piss you off. But I have no idea. You didn't mention the (shit) AI at all. I think someone who hates to play online might like to know the AI is so bad it'll frustrate them and reduce their enjoyment of the game, for instance.

Anyway, sorry for the somewhat disjointed post. In summary, I think the reviewer should have discarded their expectations and reviewed the game from a neutral position, and that they could have been a little more thorough. My own opinion of the game is positive, though with some complaints.

ExtraDebit:
Maybe I should stop coming to this site for review and just for the videos. I thoroughly enjoy this game and thought transformers was average, yet transformers got a higher score than this game.

Its not the website. You just have different tastes than the reviewer.

Cant say I didnt see this coming.

i really...REALLY hate CoD like gameplay, and thats exactly what RE6 looks like its gunna be...but ....it has Leon in it....

Trishbot:
I just want a good survival horror game during this Halloween season. I'm sad Resident Evil 6 has forgotten what it used to be and is instead chasing the success of every other franchise. Resident Evil used to be the game that people copied, not the game that did the copying.

If you haven't, I suggest you play Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Get some fresh underpants ready

Where you went wrong: Looking for Horror in a Resident Evil game :P

Should have stopped at 4 :(

RE the new ACTION ADVENTURE game \o/

Although I fondly remember the first 3 Resident Evil titles I can't scream "Betrayal" like most are because I just see it as a logical evolution of the series from a plot point of view. Hear me out here:

The first trilogy was meant to be *BAM* in your face zombie outbreak. You've got ragtag survivors from different walks of life (also including Outbreak here) facing an imminent threat without foreplanning or preperation. The second trilogy sees what happens when the survivors carried on afterwards and formed special ops to tackle biological outbreaks. They had more training and operate in squads because they know what they're in for. So in regards to that they're acting more like seasoned veterans BECAUSE they're seasoned veterans.

Having said that: zombies just don't seem like such a big deal anymore so they have to up the ante and bring in bigger/modified enemies. How can a zombie be more menacing? I suppose if it could utilise weapons and was more intelligent than just "bumrush the nearest fleshbag" so we got the Las Plagas. Then moving onto bosses, how can we up the ante? I suppose making them more hulking/grotesque mutations of their former selves. With that comes the sense of requiring more tactile knowledge and firepower.

As for the QTE... I want to hate them but I can see those as just dynamic cutscenes because a huge boss fight would be boring as sin if all you did was "shoot in it the face for 5 minutes" and QTEs add extra to the fight "it grabbed you, here's your chance to stab it in the tentacle" without creating a pointlessly large and bloated controller moveset. I've seen people say that "I don't want to see a cutscene where I do something cool when I could do that myself in the game" yet this is where QTE is filling the void of action-sequences that the game is simply not designed around. I remember the wall run part in RE4 (obvious homage to the laser grid scene in the movie) where Leon QTEs through a laser grid room before running up the wall and jumping over the last set. How the flying FUCK are we supposed to do that without any form of QTE prompt when the game doesn't even have a jump or a dodge mechanic in place?

Was Resident Evil ever scary? I remember playing RE4; and while it was fun, the most it did was startle me.

Shame to see it lost the enjoyable part too. :/

Mangles69:

It wasn't that scary, the atmosphere was good at times, but they ruined it with the sheer ammount of jumpscares.

As for actually scary games; I'd say Silent Hill 2 and, from what I've seen of it, Amnesia: The Dark Descent (gosh I want to play that game).

Again the Escapist falls into the typical Games Journalist trap of giving 3 out of 5 to a complete gaming failure.

What does the Escapist want to describe by this? A 3 out of 5? That RE6 is above average and therefore worth your time?

Of course not. The review as written by Paul Goodman doesn't drive to this being an above average game. The entirety of his review is criticism and yet he still praises it with a 3/5.

This is a fundamental failure with the Escapist's numerical system. It would do well to translate from Destructoid's system. While not perfect at least Desturctiod's words match the numbers and the numerals 1-5 are not left dormant....

Wow, action and quick time events...
It's almost like 4 was the most popular RE game ever, and now they're just working off of that...
WHY did we make 4 so popular?
Maybe if we'd bought more copies of REmake or Zero...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here