The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: King Kong

 Pages 1 2 NEXT
 

Schlocktober 2012: King Kong

Schlocktober returns, as MovieBob takes a look at that other, less popular King Kong remake.

Watch Video

Damn terrorist ruining King Kong climbing the twin towers.

That dress leaves little to the imagination...

I would like to see Peter Jackson get away with that.

God I love Schlocktober.
And this movie is horrible...
Interesting Kirby trivia though.

I watched that when it was on TV (they were showing the original and past remakes due to the upcoming remake films like Kong and War of the World). Yeah it wasn't that good especially at the end when King Kong just got taken out by a lame helicopter.

Does this mean next well with Godzilla vs. King Kong, King King Escapes or King King Lives!!!!!?

YAY! Schlocktober time again!

Love this series Bob. This show almost always tells me something I didn't know (The Kirby thing for example). And that's why I eagerly show up every Tuesday for another look at The Big Picture.

Also, since I didn't bother to post it last week, thanks for bringing some attention to Freakazoid. Quite literally one of the best cartoons I've ever seen and a long time personal favorite. After your show I had to dig out my DVDs and run through the series again.

Wasn't King Kong pretty much a dinosaur himself by then?

Schlocktober YAY!
Can't wait for the next one! :D
Also, Is it just me or Bobkin (The Pumpkin) looks a little moe~?

Oh come on now, I can't handle cliffhangers like that.

Also, that final shot of King Kong reaching slowly in behind the token hot chick was... er... awkward in all the right ways?

A side note: Also might of been named after the Kirby vacuum company. Sadly, all the people involved with making Kirby have completely forgotten which it was originally.

is it bad that my favorite part of schlocktober is the pumpkin?

cliff-hangers bob. I mean schlocktober is cool, but cliff-hangers.

*raises eyebrow and gives Bob his trademark sideways glance*

As much as I hate cliffhangers, Mr. Chipman...you're coyness regarding this movie in relation to your next segments intrigues me. What ARE you plotting, my dear sir?

Hell, I'd be sceptical of any production claiming to include a giant robotic ape filmed TODAY, regardless of how bloated the budget, why were people so taken in by that claim?

Dammit Bob, you make every week of October seem to go by so slowly.

Also..

Dammit Bob, now I want to see the Phoenix Wright games done with Kirby characters.

godzilla vs. king kong. bet you anything next week its that

Wasn't this film also Jessica Lange's big debut as a Hollywood star? Even De Laurentiis' turds usually have something going for them.

Chris Mosher:
Does this mean next well with Godzilla vs. King Kong, King King Escapes or King King Lives!!!!!?

That is a possibility, although I don't think there is enough to say about each film on its own for an entire episode, with the exception of King Kong Lives. Another possibility is to cover other De Laurentiis movies such as Orca, which was even more an answer to Jaws, and maybe the Hannibal Lecter movies he'd produced. He had made all of them except Silence of the Lambs. You know, the good one.

My guess is that the next two are a godzilla film and King Kong lives

"Koreas A.P.E aka Attack of the giant horny gorilla"? Really?

I have my hopes up that he will do a short review of it next week!

I'm so happy Schlocktober is back. Today is a good day.

I know not everyone likes Peter Jacksons King Kong but... I dug the hell out of it, anything Weta Workshop is involved in tends to rock.

Does Bob read these forums?

I ask because I wanted to know if you (MovieBob) had seen the 1931 Dracula shot in Spanish.
I watched it a couple of years ago as part of a Film History exam I had to do, originally we (The other guys in my team and I) had in mind to analyze 4 Classic Horror movies from the '30 and '40 (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy and Cat People) but we ended up analyzing a fifth that was the Spanish-spoken version of Dracula, called Drácula (:P).
I bring this up because while we were at it we got surprised by how far better this other version was, I'm pretty sure you know the story but I'll tel it anyways, the film was shot using the exact same locations the English-spoken version used, only that they had to shoot it in the other half of the day, while the "mainstream-version" production team wasn't using the sets. Some dialogues are a bit cheesy for native Spanish-speaking people (there are LOTS of mixed accents: Mexicans, Spaniards, Argentinians, the whole bunch) but it's a rounder film than the English-spoken version. It doesn't have Bela Lugosi but most of the actors play their part better, there's better use of film language, action and montage and so the general structure flows nicely. Some say it's slow (it lasts almost 30 minutes more), but I think it's just less rushed than Tod Browning's, thus the plot gets developed in a better, more solid way and makes more sense.

I thought it could be a good subject for a future Shlocktober, if it hasn't been already mentioned.

Interesting note that King Kong is voiced by Peter Cullen. Most famous for Optimus Prime. TRUKK IS MUNKY

Bob's going to do Mighty Joe for no apparent reason...

As long as he doesn't do Godzilla vs. Megalon. I hate Jet Jaguar.

the 70s King Kong is kind of a guilty pleasure for me - it is, by any definition, pretty bad, but I do like John Barry's soundtrack and it was the first version to show Kong in a truly sympathetic light - something Peter Jackson took from it (if you watch the original after the PJ remake it's quite jarring, because Fay Wray's Ann pretty much never regards Kong with anything except terror.)

The original is still the best though.

Gotta say, pumpkin bob is surprisingly adorable. This is going to be a good month. :)

As for Kong I don't know why but I thought he was cool as a little kid, current me doesn't know what I was thinking.

All Hail Schlocktober! My favorite time of the year comes again.
Can't wait till next week.

thanks for reminding me of this film bob saw way back and totally forgot about it.

fangclaw:
is it bad that my favorite part of schlocktober is the pumpkin?

Nope; it's the perfect mascot for these special episodes. He's supoosed to draw you in to the real meat of the show.

leviadragon99:
Hell, I'd be sceptical of any production claiming to include a giant robotic ape filmed TODAY, regardless of how bloated the budget, why were people so taken in by that claim?

Because GIANT ROBOTS, DAMMIT!!! They represent the FUTURE, a triumph of form and function. They sound like what we can accomplish with such amazing technology: amuse ourselves for a couple of hours.

Ken_J:
Interesting note that King Kong is voiced by Peter Cullen. Most famous for Optimus Prime. TRUKK IS MUNKY

Mind. BLOWN. So that's why Optimus Primal turned into a gorilla! Not just because gorillas are the strongest apes that are closely related to humans?

Bob, thank you for bringing back Schlocktober! Tou videos are getting me more intersted in the wacky workings behind the scenes in producing movies, with Apocalypse Now taking the burnt, flaming cake (filming a war movie in an active war zone: BALLSY).

King Kong as king of the monster movies?!

Are you implying that Kong is somehow better than Godzilla?

Your opinion is grossly incorrect, sir. Godzilla could STEP on King Kong if they hadn't upped his size for the show down.

leviadragon99:
Hell, I'd be skeptical of any production claiming to include a giant robotic ape filmed TODAY, regardless of how bloated the budget, why were people so taken in by that claim?

I call it "The Spectacle of Failure". We know the shark looks fake and dumb, but it still terrified us (then we laughed at how ridiculous it was). Everyone knew it would be either super awesome (1% chance) or laughably ridiculous (99% chance). Either way money well spent.

OT: I really did enjoy that back story. I love any story where big corporation sues little corp, AND LOSES. HAHAHA.

So, Bob, you being the paragon of film that you are.. how long till we stop weeing our pants as a society whenever something that even reminds us that the WTC used to exists appears in a movie, etc.?

We seem to have no trouble showing Germany in general, Berlin, The Pentagon, holocaust imagery, London, civil war massacres, Indians, the crusades, witch burnings, slavery, and the hundreds upon hundreds of other horrible things or places where horrible things have happened in human history.. yet we as a country seem to be going out of our way to forget the WTC even existed and when something does remind us about it, we close our eyes, cover our ears, and sob in a corner.

 Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Log in or Register to Comment
Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  
  
Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here