Reliving Gordon Freeman's Worst Day

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found Black Mesa more difficult. I beat Half Life 1 on all difficulties. Hard mode gave me some teeth-grinding moments, but was still beatable. I'm on meduim right now with Black Mesa and I'm having tons of problems getting through it. Do all the enemies have better aim this time around, or just hit harder? Once I got to the point where the military guys showed up, I was killed faster than I could think.

Still. It's a really good remake.

tehpiemaker:

flaming_squirrel:
The ladders were fine (if a bit odd to get used to) up until the bit where there's a whole bunch of soldiers with a tank surrounded by underground pipes, at which point I realized that for some batshit insane reason sometimes on ladders pressing 's' makes you go up them. Along with 'w' and pretty much every other key.
Which nearly made me ragequit a couple of times as I got to the top, fired off a shot and then happily leapt up out of my hiding spot in order to get ripped apart in 2 seconds flat.

The difficulty in general does seem a little wonky, playing on hard mode the large fishy type critters are laughably easy compared to the original whilst the heli fight left one hand constantly hovering over the quickload key..

One of the best moments though, the hornet gun. I'd always wondered how Freeman held it, now I know.

People keep complaining about the crowbar animation, and quite frankly I find this complain silly. Going back in playing half-life, I found the crowbar animation immensely silly but I didn't make a huge deal about it. I mean think about i. That crowbar swings like a mofo.

Quote button has moved to the top now!

Not sure why they moved it, everyone's making this mistake now.

tehweave:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found Black Mesa more difficult. I beat Half Life 1 on all difficulties. Hard mode gave me some teeth-grinding moments, but was still beatable. I'm on meduim right now with Black Mesa and I'm having tons of problems getting through it. Do all the enemies have better aim this time around, or just hit harder? Once I got to the point where the military guys showed up, I was killed faster than I could think.

Still. It's a really good remake.

Especially the gunship, bloody hell does that thing kill you fast on hard mode. It also takes ~10 rockets and 2 fully powered laser blasts to take it down. I cant remember exactly how many hits the original took, but I'm sure it was a fraction of that.

I did like the redesign of the facility making sense as to what all the rooms are supposed to be and whatnot, but I'm on par with the other major complaints being made. The jumping puzzles never bothered me in the original Half-Life (I'm just good at them, I suppose), but the change in the physics and especially the reduction of your jump height and changing how the duck-jump works makes a lot of the jumping puzzles frustratingly difficult. Getting through that damn section where the soldiers set up a bunch of trip mines around a missile (seriously, who the fuck does something like that anyway? I mean, I know soldiers don't have a reputation for being geniuses, but that seems like stupidity above and beyond the call of duty) gave me so much pain just getting over the first mine. The jump height really does need to be increased.
Also, the reduced amount of ammunition you can carry and load in each clip for the weapons makes what ought to be reasonable sections much harder than they should be. You end up reloading so much more often while there are big groups of enemies shaving off your health. They're only little changes, but they make such a bloody huge difference in how you would need to play that the redesign does not account for.

I waited years for this game (when I first found it I thought it would be something nice to tide me over until Half Life 2 Episode 3 came out - and I expected that to be out a couple of years after The Orange Box - what a naive fool I was!) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. The jumping does annoy me and I do find the difficulty level to be a bit excessive. I'm not really surprised at this because I assumed that they wouldn't be doing any play testing with casual, fairly unskilled players such as myself. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that all the play testing was done by the developers themselves because they were justifiably afraid of leaks if they sent it out to a larger group for evaluation. I don't expect a game to be too easy nor do I consider myself particularly skilled but I was able to get through all the Half Life games, Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well as Borderlands without dying so frequently that it broke the sense of immersion in the game. This wasn't the case with Black Mesa. That said, I really did enjoy it. A lot of love went into making it and it shows.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here