Tokyo Jungle Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Tokyo Jungle Review

Ridiculous and mighty.

Read Full Article

I wish this would come out on the pc, it looks damn interesting but I have no intention of getting a ps3.

You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actually seems pretty interesting.

You didn't say much about Story Mode; so is it basically playing through Survival Mode one animal at a time, and it gives you inter-chapter cutscenes?

Well, this look like it's worth a spin just for the ambition and uniqueness of the setting. I get the impression that the levels take on a roguelike approach, just trying to make it as far as you can with that particular animal with death around every corner. For me personally, that would be a very good thing. I was so caught up with NFL Blitz and Starhawk being PS+ free that I hadn't noticed this. Great review Susan, and thanks for making me aware of it.

EDIT: It's only 11.99 if you have plus, so that was nice to find out.

DustlessDragoon:
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actuslly seems pretty interesting.

Wait -- so you own a PS3, and haven't bought Journey? Don't let Susan find out! ;)

My excuse is simply that I don't yet own a PS3.

See, this is the sort of thing we need more of. Unique gameplay married with playability, and topped off with a Pomeranian.

Worgen:
I wish this would come out on the pc

Yeah, I kinda do too.

This one's right up me alley. There's no Platypus, which is a shame. Otherwise you owe yourself this one. Kicking croc ass with a goddamn band of chicks. etc.

UNHchabo:
You didn't say much about Story Mode; so is it basically playing through Survival Mode one animal at a time, and it gives you inter-chapter cutscenes?

The gameplay of the first several chapters actually is kind of...well, you have to go through so much Survival Mode to unlock the chapters, that then being told "this is how you hunt" in Chapter 1 seems very odd, indeed. The Story isn't all that satisfying, really, at least not in my experience. You play different animals in different chapters - what you really want are the Archives, which you find as you play through Survival Mode. That's what lets you know what happened to humanity.

So if i was to compare it to FTL: Faster Than Light for the game requiring the player to play to unlock the full extent of its replayability, how far off would i be?

so its a mix of gta, i am alive and assassins creed?

and how did you get socks for your pig?

Worgen:
I wish this would come out on the pc, it looks damn interesting but I have no intention of getting a ps3.

Pretty much this. Which is a damn shame actually, because I'm a sucker for ridiculous game ideas.

rhizhim:

Please. My piggie wouldn't wear socks. Those are kitty paws. *sniff*

You find items as you play - stuff like raincoats, headphones, wool beanies, scarves...you equip them to buff your stats. The kitty paws, for example, give you something like +20 to attack; the downside is that they wear out eventually. So long as you've unlocked the item, though, you can buy a new one by spending Survival Points.

I want to see this as one sprawling multiplayer city server in which you pick an animal and randomly spawn somewhere, and have to survive for as long as possible with leaderboards for each type of animal. For some reason that sounds like the kind of game I would lose countless hours on, even without the multiplayer idea.

UNHchabo:

DustlessDragoon:
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actuslly seems pretty interesting.

Wait -- so you own a PS3, and haven't bought Journey? Don't let Susan find out! ;)

I would also advise putting some money aside for when Okami HD is released late this month. Unless you fancy coming down with a sudden case of Daystar-related death.

On topic now, this does look like a nice change of pace. I've also been looking for something to tide me over until the few big titles that interest me get their release over the next year.

Justank:
I want to see this as one sprawling multiplayer city server in which you pick an animal and randomly spawn somewhere, and have to survive for as long as possible with leaderboards for each type of animal. For some reason that sounds like the kind of game I would lose countless hours on, even without the multiplayer idea.

Sounds like you basically want a hybrid of Tokyo Jungle and DayZ. If that's what you're talking about, it sounds awesome. :)

No pomeranian in the video review at all?!

Fo shame!

Too bad I don't have a PS3 as this is crazy enough (and solid enough) to look very appealing as stealth is always fun.

gigastar:
So if i was to compare it to FTL: Faster Than Light for the game requiring the player to play to unlock the full extent of its replayability, how far off would i be?

It's more grind and less random than FTL (this is true of more than just the unlocks). You have almost no control over ships in FTL, either you'll get the appropriate sector and events or you won't. In Tokyo Jungle, if you want to be a hippo, start working your way up the herbivore line. You'll know exactly what you need to do. You could probably get there pretty quick if you completed only the unlock challenges and killed yourself once you'd accomplished it.

On the flip side of that, there are very few Tokyo Jungle games where you accomplish absolutely nothing. Even if you don't get a new species, piece of clothing or story chapter, you'll almost always get some permanent stat upgrades for the species you're playing.

Gotta say that this game, more than any other game, really made me wish I had a PS3. A friend was describing it to me and it sounded really fun...especially a part where said friend was playing as a terrier that got killed by a giant baby chick wearing what appeared to be a saddle.

Susan Arendt:
Tokyo Jungle Review

Ridiculous and mighty.

Read Full Article

I recall earlier this year you were quite excited for this game, did you have to fight off anyone to review it? Oh, and did it meet your expectations or surpass them?

-Dragmire-:

Susan Arendt:
Tokyo Jungle Review

Ridiculous and mighty.

Read Full Article

I recall earlier this year you were quite excited for this game, did you have to fight off anyone to review it? Oh, and did it meet your expectations or surpass them?

I think this one was just a bit too weird for my fellow reviewers to want to attempt. :) And while I figured I'd find it endearingly odd, I didn't expect the actual gameplay to be as rock solid as it was. Quite surprising, really.

Gah my backlog queue is soooooo long. But I will make room.

I love it. My first game was quite fun, getting to learn stuff and just playing around. On about my 3rd game I was wondering just *why* the heck I was playing it as it seemed a little lacking and dull.

Then a few games later I was properly into the swing of it and I play it a lot now and has become one of my favourites.

The only real gripe I have with it is how tedious the first part of a new survival game can be but that's only a minor part and you are still focussed on doing things.

I had one game that ended badly when I was trying to complete a challenge to get to a sector on the map. All well and good normally but I had to cross another sector to get there from where I was. So far there hadn't been too many exotics wondering about and the ones that were were avoidable for the most part.

I crash into the sector I need to cross with a full pack of dogs to discover a full on sector wide brawl happening in the streets between Crocodiles, Bears and Beagles. The whole place was just crawling with tooth and claw and it was a sector with very few alternate routes.

My entire pack were getting savaged as we wound our way through the brawl, only stopping to take down anything we could that got in our way and in the end it was just one sole doggy running through the streets trying to avoid thrashing crocs and the attention of packs of beagles.

Then with an eye on the road ahead and the end in sight I failed to notice the purple jaw icon finish its little spiral and out of some grass came instant death for my last pup.

Wow, I wish I had a ps3 now. Is it odd that no stellar AAA exclusive has made me feel this way?

Pretty spot on review. The game suffers from some repetition problems here and there, but it's still absolutely fantastic. It could have ridden entirely on its ridiculous premise, but the game mechanics happen to be extremely solid on top of it.

I've been playing for countless hours already, liking it more and more as I unlock animals and story. I just made it passed year 100 for the first time, and things get crazy messed up the longer you survive. They keep the tension going pretty much non-stop.

Elyxard:
Pretty spot on review. The game suffers from some repetition problems here and there, but it's still absolutely fantastic. It could have ridden entirely on its ridiculous premise, but the game mechanics happen to be extremely solid on top of it.

I've been playing for countless hours already, liking it more and more as I unlock animals and story. I just made it passed year 100 for the first time, and things get crazy messed up the longer you survive. They keep the tension going pretty much non-stop.

Wow, you managed 100 years? You are my hero! I think the best I've managed so far is somewhere in the 50s. What animal were you at the time?

Susan Arendt:

Wow, you managed 100 years? You are my hero! I think the best I've managed so far is somewhere in the 50s. What animal were you at the time?

I haven't made it over 100, but I've been close many times.

Golden Retriever: 80
Tosa: 88
Wolf: 89
Jackal: 90
My current African Wild Dog (Lycaon) line is going on 50 years and running quite well.

For the herbivores I think the highest I got was 76 as a Blackbuck.

Trust me, it gets REALLY intense afterwards. When there are more prehistoric animals out there wanting to kill you than prey, you KNOW you're screwed (and they start to come after about 60 years, give or take). See that Jackal score? I was in Shibuya Suburbs today with 5 boss Jackals looking for a mate. All dead within a second when a dino slaughtered them all at the same time. Nearly tossed my controller.

I've seen someone make 100 with a tiger. Doesn't seem to be impossible with some of the medium carnivores either (ie the wolf/jackal/hyena/etc) but it's harder since they can't kill the dinos and some of the larger carnivores (like the bears).

...No...I have not poured more than 15 hours into this game. Don't be silly.

*shifty eyes*...*scrambles off*

EDIT: Yep, 102 years so far with the Lycaons and still going. Very much possible.

Great review. I was sold from the day I heard about it, but this ironed it all out. Shut up and take my money...

DustlessDragoon:
You know I may actually buy something from PSN for the first time, actually seems pretty interesting.

Me too, this will be my first PSN purchase.

Susan Arendt:

It was with a Black Panther, and to be fair, that was probably my 20'th or so playthrough of survival mode. Luckily that animal is strong enough to take out some of the dinosaurs and tigers if you're careful. Passed the 100 year mark, something entirely different showed up and tore me to shreds though.

You really have to depend on the sewer a lot to survive passed the 60 year mark. Not too much worry of toxicity there, and none of the super dangerous animals will show up (mostly).

i dig your narration susan, very consistent!

The game, alas, seems likely to never pass by my tv screen. I've no ps3 and i won't go hunting for one/borrowing one for that :S or really any other title.

UNHchabo:

DustlessDragoon:

My excuse is simply that I don't yet own a PS3.

I have very limited HDD space which I can't be bothered updating plus it's quite expensive for how short it is so I'll wait until it's either cheap or I can get the retail version.

Well after reading the review I am intrigued and will probably get the game...after the 11th when my exams are safely over...damn.

This was one of the main reasons I re-bought a PS3 and I'm so glad it doesn't disappoint.
I'll be getting it quite soon, I just need to find a way to download it with my Shockley bad internet.

Susan Arendt:

rhizhim:

Please. My piggie wouldn't wear socks. Those are kitty paws. *sniff*

You find items as you play - stuff like raincoats, headphones, wool beanies, scarves...you equip them to buff your stats. The kitty paws, for example, give you something like +20 to attack; the downside is that they wear out eventually. So long as you've unlocked the item, though, you can buy a new one by spending Survival Points.

come on! socks are awesome. you can slide on parquet floor to safety...

Question. Do you get to train your little pomeranian into merciless stalker of post-apocalyptic concrete jungle .... wearing kitty paws ? Because if you do...GOTY :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here