Zero Punctuation: Borderlands 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Borderlands 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Borderlands 2.

Watch Video

Great review. I loved this game so much. Thanks for the Extra Punctuation too.

While not much has really changed, I'm still having a lot of fun with it!

I will agree that the cars still handle like fucking shit though!

Not surprised here. Borderlands 2 is very much Borderlands 1 but more, so if you didn't like 1, you won't like 2.

As for the boss that was allegedly dangerous: Admiral Akbar can inform you about the true nature of the boss anyways.

Overall, I like Borderlands 2 :) At the very least, it's something to pass the time with until XCOM:EU comes out.

Somehow, they made the endboss even easier than in BL1, though. Not sure how they managed that.

I expected this reaction from him. I just wanna know, did he play it by himself? I'll assume so.

EDIT: I've also been wanting to say this for a while. Why did he give FEAR 3 a chance for co op, but not this? That bugs me. He bashes how, in FEAR 3, people won't be really paying attention to the story, but rather dicking around with their buds. Kinda think he shoulda mentioned that.

Driving really is ass. There's no excuse for this.

I think the game is awesome, though, therefore this review is bad and unfunny and Yahtzee should be ashamed of himself for eating puppies.

...am I doing this right?

Really, the only thing I agree with Yahtzee on is the inability to track multiple quests and the cars not being the easiest to control. Honestly, playing as Zero is a hoot. I just picked up his Execute skill and having fun darting all over the map stabbing dudes.

So... it's Borderlands 1.5?

Will someone stop giving Yahtzee games that are supposed to be played in multiplayer? I mean, he usually plays single-player only, so he's not gonna enjoy them... we get that by now. Just let him review single player games.

Good.

Another reason not to buy it.

Borderlands 2 is really just more of Borderlands 1(minus assault rifles that don't suck and are automatic) so i didn't expect Yahtzee to like it. great review, i had a laugh.

oh and now there will be people who dislike the game screaming : I AM RIGHT ABOUT A QUESTION OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE; YAHTZEE SAID SO

PsychedelicDiamond:
Will someone stop giving Yahtzee games that are supposed to be played in multiplayer? I mean, he usually plays single-player only, so he's not gonna enjoy them... we get that by now. Just let him review single player games.

Some people actually play the game as a single player experience and the game is advertised as either or. I mostly play the game in single player, although I do MP sometimes as well. In any case the points he makes are equally true in SP or MP.

I have been playing and enjoying the game but I assume after one play through I'll put it away and never play it again, just like I did with the first one. It certainly has its share of design problems.

Too bad he played it alone.
He never got to experience the wonder that is Co-op
Co-op

PsychedelicDiamond:

Honestly I've had more fun playing this single player than with other people. Mostly because other people stop every 10 minutes to run to Sanctuary and gamble their money away because the orange drop rate from the machines is higher than from actual creatures. Which FUCKING sucks.

That's my only giant complaint about BL2. I know they're "Legendary" weapons, but toss us one for every 10 hours invested at least.

Borderlands just seems to be that game(s) where everybody else likes it but not Yahtzee.
However, that vault hunter thing is incredibly contrived.

Sometimes I think Yahtzee lacks comprehension. Just 5 Minutes after beating that "too easy" boss it should be obvious why it was so easy.
Or did he stop playing right after that boss?

tmande2nd:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.

God... people are actually using zero punctuation to decide whether or not to buy a game?

If it wasn't for co-op, Borderlands would be a bad game in my opinion. The story is uninteresting, the missions get repetitive really quick and even though the characters are pretty funny and some are well written, they don't do much and there is barely any interaction with them.
But when I play with someone else, I simply don't care about all those things. My friends and I didn't pay attention to the story at all in the first game. We simply goofed around.
Same with Borderlands 2.

So it's a not so good game rescued by it's multiplayer, which is pretty rare.

I actually forgot that towards the end of the last Borderlands I started getting rather bored and once I had finished - that was that.

Fast forward to now and because I had forgotten, I played Borderlands 2 and it didn't take me very long to get bored of that.
The "problem" I have with Borderlands 2 is actually more towards its genre. Loot games. Don't think they are for me.

Also, I also thought of Guy Ritchie films when I saw the character intros ^_^

For once I don't agree. I've had a ton of fun with borderlands 2, already having 94 hours clocked according to steam. I enjoyed it much more than the first game.

Bonerlands is an understandable love it or hate it game. I loved the first, I'm enjoying the second, Yahtzee the exact opposite of the first so this was expected.

Definitely agree on his point re multiple quest markers. They really should have taken a hint from Bethesda on that one.

Pop goes the bandit.

Team Widdlebiscuit defeated Shub-who last time?

Anyway, I expected as much from Yahtzee, yes Reddit has basically GUSHED over this game for the past week or so and it's nice to see it finally taken down a notch.

Have I ever played it? No. Will I? Eventually.

I liked the first one a lot but this one not so much, it's just so... slow. The quests give terrible exp and the 95% of the items you find might as well just be cash since you're gonna sell them anyway.

I do love the badass tokens feature though.

Sorry Yahtzee , but the review was kinda lame . Probably because there was nothing much to say about the game , other than the things that you said back in the review of BL1

PsychedelicDiamond:

No if games are only supposed to be played in multiplayer than they should only have a multiplayer.

Also it sounds like Yahtzee was playing the PC version lol.

They pretty much explain why it was so damn easy to kill the big threatening guy. You see the reprocussions of it in the very next mission. It's obvious Jack had to nerf him for his plan to work.

I didnt have a problem with tracking multiple missions. I just remembered where shit is. Though I guess you cant expect a play to do that.

The driving...yeah, cant argue with that one. It's the same problem I have with Halo games. Why the fuck would you put gas and reverse on the analog stick?

Other than that, I can say Boarderlands 2 is the most entertaining shooter I've played all year.

disgruntledgamer:

PsychedelicDiamond:

No if games are only supposed to be played in multiplayer than they should only have a multiplayer.

Yeah, i sometimes wish they did. I never got why something like Call of Duty even has a singleplayer campaign.

Falterfire:
Not surprised here. Borderlands 2 is very much Borderlands 1 but more, so if you didn't like 1, you won't like 2.

You know, people keep saying that, but I'm not seeing it...

I hated the first Borderlands. The game had a cool quirky setting, but didn't do anything with it and the plot pretty much didn't exist. The central mechanic (Diablo-style loot in an FPS) sounded good on paper, but the difference between the various guns was miniscule and it essentially boiled down to slight variations of maybe a dozen guns. Finally, the enemy variety was appalingly bad (the whole "Killing Jason Vorhees over and over and over again" thing). All this resulted in a game with no plot, a boring central mechanic and gameplay that got insanely repetitive very fast.

On the other hand, Borderlands 2 takes all the good ideas and actually does them right. The quirky setting is put to better use, with the various characters interacting with you more, there's a proper plot and it's not even bad, there's an actual villain now and he's one of the more memorable antagonists in recent years. All of it made me want to play just to see what happens next, to hear the jokes, to find out how it plays out.

The guns were improved, with more variety between the manufacturers meaning that the promise from the first game was finally realized - dozens of notably different guns to pick and choose from. There was actual choice now and this made the looting process more fun.

Finally, the enemy variety was increased. Jason got a ton of new friends (like the Nomads and the Goliaths), there are several new enemy sets (the Rats, the Robots, Hyperion Personell) and the combat is more varried overall.

So the lack of plot was replaced with a solid plot and interesting characters, the weak central mechanic was elaborated upon and made interesting and the lack of variety in combat was remedied with, well, variety.

All this resulted in me loving Borderlands 2. I never even finished the first game (got to about 2/3 of the way once by forcing myself) but the sequel kept me playing happily through and I'll be doing my NG+ as soon as I'm done with Torchlight 2.

NoAccountNeeded:
Sometimes I think Yahtzee lacks comprehension. Just 5 Minutes after beating that "too easy" boss it should be obvious why it was so easy.
Or did he stop playing right after that boss?

Falterfire:

As for the boss that was allegedly dangerous: Admiral Akbar can inform you about the true nature of the boss anyways.

I'm glad some people got it. I see this complaint all the time. The fact that Angel is the one to tell you to stay, and she is the one who POINTS OUT the power core, should be enough to tell people that it was a setup. But even when the shields go down and you start to get attacked, some people just don't get it.

disgruntledgamer:

PsychedelicDiamond:

He was playing on Xbox I'd wager. He used the term "hold down X to pick up everything," which is what Use is bound to on the 360 version, so, yeah. That.

Falterfire:

Funny thing is, I loathed 1 but I'm loving 2. So I dunno if something has changed or if I just got dumber at some point, but that certainly seems not to be the case everywhere, thankfully.

I will agree the game's fundamentals haven't changed, but I found the gunplay to be much more visceral (and less crap) and the characters to be properly entertaining to be around instead of grating and obnoxious. So that's two big ticks there from me, I guess.

I loved the first game, and i'm really enjoying this one. 2K made it very clear that this game is a shoot and loot and it is what it is. However, i do agree that the interface and vehicles could use some work. Otherwise, i think its great fun!

Toasty Virus:
While not much has really changed, I'm still having a lot of fun with it!

I will agree that the cars still handle like fucking shit though!

Yup, they do. Especially with those fucking threshers grabbing the fucking things!

Loving Borderlands 2 though, shame my routers dead so I can't play online atm due to lack of wifi.

Yep. Have to agree with the review. Watched a friend play it for about an hour and was flabbergasted at how much time he had to spend opening boxes. Also, he confirmed that the shooting was as "sticky" as the original. I'm really fussy when it comes to my FPS mechanics, so I'm glad I didn't pick this game up.

3 things I agree with:

1: The sissification of the original 4 heroes is incredibly contrived.
2: The vehicles handle awful.
3: Not being able to track multiple quests sucks

one thing I think he should have mentioned: The farming aspect, especially red chest farming or farming Sanctuary for Eridum.

A lot of people seem to think that if Yahtzee played the game in co-op he'd enjoy it (more), but that's not necessarily true.

I, for instance, found Borderlands 1 boring after playing it by myself, so I got a friend to join it. It was just as boring and I sold it.

Then a few months later, confused at the idea that I found a game boring which so many others worship, I bought it again and played it with 2 other friends on XBL and with a friend on split-screen.

It was still pretty damn uninteresting, so I sold it again.

Some games just don't tick for some people. A few people hate Skyrim, or Fallout, or Halo, or Gears of War, or WoW, or Minecraft... and some people like CoD - and for me, with Borderlands, it just ain't working.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here