Zero Punctuation: Borderlands 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

NoAccountNeeded:

tmande2nd:
Good.

Another reason not to buy it.

God... people are actually using zero punctuation to decide whether or not to buy a game?

I'm more surprised that people actually need excuses to not buy completely optional pieces of entertainment.

OT: Not being able to track multiple quests is annoying as hell, but other than that I've been a little more interested in the sequel than I was the original. Maybe because they actually tried to put context behind the actions you're taking this time around instead of just "You're a treasure hunter, go treasure hunting!"

Hopefully they release some awesome DLC expansions like they did for the first game, though.

Yeah I dislike missions where you have to go killing things, having fun but afterwards take a buttload of time collecting items and opening boxes. In Fallout you sort of had to do that but it was simple to do and didn't take up all your time looking for items.
Borderlands 2 is a love/hate game as far as I can tell... if you love it's concepts then you'll love almost everything, but if you dislike it's structure and missions then you'll really get tired like how Yahtzee did.

Everyone can agree on the driving though, it's horrible to a degree it needs to be patched immediately lol.

I never got the hype surrounding Borderlands, I played the first game and it felt very bland, boring, unoriginal and with not enough in the game to really hold my interest. I pretty much turned it off when it just felt like I was repeating things to a point that it would put Halo to shame.

Sounds like he immediately stopped playing after the Wilhelm fight.

SPOILER: There's a REASON Wilhelm goes down so so easily.

Heh, the cars handle horribly... I'm still in the dark as to what the hell they were thinking by making you steer the damn thing with your mouse on PC! We have a keyboard for a reason! Using W for trottle, while turning with the mouse just makes it impossible to free up a hand during driving for things such as scratching armpits, having a drink or petting needy cats!

Also, some of the Assault Rifles are stupid... Practically no magazine capacity an lenghty reload animations make for some pretty boring gameplay... Bandit and Vladof weapons <3.

Other than that I'm enjoying the game a lot. I find there are many interesting enemies, fun characters and a nice environment. I enjoy the distinctive style of the game, I hate Jacks guts and some of the guns are AWESOME!

It has long since become clear that Yahtzee and myself do not share a taste in videogames, and that's why I generally don't take his opinions as "good advice". I know his preferences and I know my own, based on that I can decide if I'll like a game or not. He's still really funny though, and what else do you need?!

Never played borderlands because I totally suck at Shoot'em ups. Though I have heard some great things about it. And rpg elements in it? Sounded like a game for me. I also heard a lot of great things about Borderlands 2 so I figured, if for some strange reason Yahtzee would praise the game I would buy it. Did the same with saint row 2 and I really like that one in the end.

So Yahtzee thinks it's boring? Okay, no buy for me! What I did bought was the audiobook of Mogworld, though Yahtzee does sound a lot slower on that one...

Considering his review of Borderlands, this was... kinda expected, really. While Borderlands 2 does do a lot of things better then Borderlands, it is still very samey, so it's understandable if the second one bores the shit out of you. Either way I'm having loads of fun playing it when I get the chance.

And why's everyone complaining about the vehicles being shit? Sure, in True Vault Hunter mode they go up like fire-crackers, but I've found them to actually be useful now, and handle better than the vehicles from Borderlands 1. Granted a boulder handles better than those awful things, but... still, it's an improvement.

Sorry Yathzee but i have to say this review was pretty boring.
I mean your opinion was clear, the second borderlands 2 was just announced, but this goes for games like Modern Warfare 3, too.
In this one it is mostly the problem that you pretty much reuse some jokes about borderlands 1.
Well, everybody makes some bad videos, so...

The Gentleman:
So... it's Borderlands 1.5?

NO, It's Borderlands 2, but you'll have to play the PC version to know the difference...

This game driving sux, yes, but that's all I can agreed up on....

I bet he didn't play through the game, and he obviously sux at it, because you will ONLY enjoy it if you discover the intricacy of the battle mechanics and how the skills WILL MORE THAN DOUBLE YOUR KILL RATE IF YOU COMPLEMENT WITH YOUR PARTNERS... wait... he solo play it... crap...

The game is made with passion, how many games ACTUALLY MAKE NEW FEATURES FOR NEWGAME+? this game does! some bosses.guns/enemies/mechanics DOES NOT SHOW UP ON FIRST PLAY THROUGH! Basically, the first game through is the game's(the game play part) Tutorial! so.. yeah, assumed he DIDN'T finished the first pass through... HE DIDN'T EVEN FINISHED THE TUTORIAL!~ good luck reviewing the game play at that point, story is not that bad to me either, but the game kinda "Tell" you the story rather than "showing" you... game play is AMAZING~ and you REALLY NEED TO THINK YOUR PLAYSTYLE to match your skills, this IS LABLED AS AN ACTION RPG, think Diablo, but using DOOM engine....

Agreed with Yahtzee; Borderlands 1 and 2 were boring. I played Borderlands with a friend so it was fun to screw around in that respect, but singleplayer is tedious.

I'll probably play Borderlands 2 with the same friend; co-op in this game is very nearly a must.

Elamdri:
3 things I agree with:

1: The sissification of the original 4 heroes is incredibly contrived.
2: The vehicles handle awful.
3: Not being able to track multiple quests sucks

one thing I think he should have mentioned: The farming aspect, especially red chest farming or farming Sanctuary for Eridum.

Numbers 2 and 3 are valid, but thus far, everyone and their mother has called Yahtzee on number 1.

Anyone who played the game knows which boss he's referring to...and it seems like everyone who played the game until the end of the same quest where you fight that boss knows that being able to beat him where the original four Vault Hunters failed is a very, very, very big plot point. I can only think of three possible reasons why you couldn't figure it out:

-You can't speak English and couldn't get the alternate-language subtitles to work, which obviously doesn't fit for Yahtzee.

-You are deaf and illiterate, because there's no other way that you could reach that point in the game and neither understand what's being said or simply understand the text being presented to you unless you were incapable of reading and hearing.

-You didn't play past the boss fight.

So...yeah. It looks like he simply didn't play past that boss fight, which was fairly early on in the game (comparatively).

Actually Pandora from Avatar was a moon, not a planet.

Just sayin'

To sum up the video:

"I didn't like the first game, and despite almost every single other gamer knowing that it was pretty much Borderlands with some extra stuff, I decided to do a video anyway and spend the entire time complaining about all the things that I disliked about the first game, pointing out that the second game has them too."

Not saying that he should or should not like it, but considering his opinion on the first one, I don't think anybody was surprised he didn't like the second.

NoAccountNeeded:
Sometimes I think Yahtzee lacks comprehension. Just 5 Minutes after beating that "too easy" boss it should be obvious why it was so easy.
Or did he stop playing right after that boss?

He does frequently "miss the point" in order to make jokes, it isn't really that new. I don't mind it as I take his videos as comedy, but it does wind me up when you then get comments that say something like "Okay, now I know not to buy it" when they are not seeming to get that he doesn't review games.

Falterfire:
Not surprised here. Borderlands 2 is very much Borderlands 1 but more, so if you didn't like 1, you won't like 2.

As for the boss that was allegedly dangerous: Admiral Akbar can inform you about the true nature of the boss anyways.

I wasn't a big fan of 1 but I really like 2; enough to buy the season pass, in fact.

To all the people complaining that he didn't play multiplayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkXob_0I9Ek

I enjoy the game, and that's good enough for me. Everything else is bollocks.

This is like the people who griped about Diablo III not being any different style-wise from Diablo II. 2K, like Blizzard, never promised anyone that they were going to change the game or the mechanics of the game, just that it would be a new adventure.

It's a good game. Don't blame the developers because your expectations were misplaced.

Thank God. Yahtzee still seems to be the only sane person left on earth when it comes to these absolutely putrid games.

I know looking to find your opinion validated on the internet is pretty lame, but it can sure as hell feel satisfying sometimes, especially when half the internet tried to kick you to death if you so much as mumble that you don't like Borderlands because it's repetitive and boring, and that comparing numbers to more numbers shouldn't be anyone's idea of fun.

Basically he just described most of how I felt about Borderlands. So this is Borderlands all over again sans the tentacled vagina-monster (I think)? I'm glad I chose not to bother, but I really don't get the appeal at all. The first game really was boring, pretty much a lot of what he said was very true; The pacing was ass, the vehicles were ass, the quests were ass, the interface was ass, the story was ass, the gun was ass, the shooting was ass, no matter what you did or how hard you tried to like it (and I tried so very hard) it was just a lot of unpleasant ass. I never got why people were so fond of the first one, it was an awful game, yes even in multiplayer since grinding with others is still just grinding.

Joriss:
Never played borderlands because I totally suck at Shoot'em ups. Though I have heard some great things about it. And rpg elements in it?

It's a "shooter" in the sense that there are guns and you have to point them, but one of the things I found in the first was no matter how good your aim (and my aim is really really good, pad or mouse) unless your stats are high enough standing right next to something and shooting it point blank will have you miss your target at least 50% of the time. Also the rpg elements seemed more an excuse for more grinding. Adding stats to a game to appeal to rpg players as opposed to a real rpg that uses guns (Mass Effect comes to mind) is just weak-ass pandering.

And speaking of pandering, all the memes they're shoving into games now, as if these things were funny to begin with.

Icehearted:
Adding stats to a game to appeal to rpg players as opposed to a real rpg that uses guns (Mass Effect comes to mind) is just weak-ass pandering.

And speaking of pandering, all the memes they're shoving into games now, as if these things were funny to begin with.

I love you.

tmande2nd:
Good.

You take ZP seriously? ZP is all about Yahtzee's subjective view of the game and it's supposed flaws taken to an extreme for comedic value.

Mouse_Crouse:

NoAccountNeeded:
Sometimes I think Yahtzee lacks comprehension. Just 5 Minutes after beating that "too easy" boss it should be obvious why it was so easy.
Or did he stop playing right after that boss?

Falterfire:
Not surprised here. Borderlands 2 is very much Borderlands 1 but more, so if you didn't like 1, you won't like 2.

As for the boss that was allegedly dangerous: Admiral Akbar can inform you about the true nature of the boss anyways.

I'm glad some people got it. I see this complaint all the time. The fact that Angel is the one to tell you to stay, and she is the one who POINTS OUT the power core, should be enough to tell people that it was a setup. But even when the shields go down and you start to get attacked, some people just don't get it.

Yeah I was surprised that he didn't get it either but people tend not to closely pay attention to things like that when they are dreading a game. I replayed games i've had negative biases about and found quite a few good things I overlooked cuz I was too busy being negative.

tmande2nd:
Good.

Stop taking ZP seriously. He's a comedian, not a critic.

UnmotivatedSlacker:

tmande2nd:
Good.

Actually, he's a critic, not a reviewer. A critic accents the negative, a reviewer gives an unbiased opinion. He's also a comedian.

Non default game settings, whether use of co-op or multiplayer or fixing a control scheme, are like seasonings included on the side of a restaurant meal. While the food might taste delicious with them, if the meal tastes poor without such seasonings, it brings up the question of why such seasonings need to be added and weren't already added into the food by the chef, reflecting poorly on the food and the skills of the creator. On the other hand, refusing to eat said food when it tastes perfectly fine with salt and you have been told so beforehand is a touch snobbish and wasteful. Thusly, a review that mentions what changes to the settings or which modes to use will improve the perception of quality and functional quality of the game of those who purchase the game because of said review. However, if reviewers look at information before playing the game, then they will have more difficulty being objective, because the reviews and would flavor said reviewer's opinion of the game's quality.
So, while we can mention said reviewer should try the food with salt, pepper, or some precise mixture of honey, vinegar and ranch dressing, and he should mention it in a post review edit so that the reader doesn't suffer as much as the reviewer did, we cannot blame the reviewer for not knowing to try it with such a seasoning, and he has every right and responsibility to have lower opinions of the food as a result.

Really can't argue with anything that Yahtzee said about the game. In fact, all of those reasons were reasons I was extremely hesitant to buy BL 2 in the first place. I kept hearing people say "It's like the first game, but better" without clearly being able to define what "but better" means.

But god help me, I bought the game...and I really enjoy it. And I have absolutely no fucking clue why for either of those.

Personally I think the driving is just fine, its awkward at first but once you realise that you don't actually steer the car but rather point in the direction you want to go its pretty easy and effective (based on mouse controls).

UnmotivatedSlacker:

tmande2nd:
Good.

Let me guess my comment riled you up because you like Borderlands 2?
I agree with Yahtzee about most games he reviews so yes I do take what he says under lots of consideration.

Yathzee did not like Borderlands 2?
Well twist my nipples spank my ass and call me tuesday, what a fiddlybonking surprise.

I was thoroughly bored by the first game, BL2 adds just enough variety to make it fun. Having a lower drop rate for guns would cut down on the whole comparison stuff and a DPS display would be nice too (especially with elemental weapons that get some unknown damage bonus when used against their optimal targets so you know even less whether gun A kills stuff faster than gun B). Also mentioning E-Tech effects on the weapon in the tooltip would be rather helpful too.

Pretty predictable review honestly.
It might as well have started with the words "I didn't like the first game..." and end with
"...because of that, I don't like this game."

A few points of contention:

1) You do not have to grind to progress or win. At all. I beat the game using solely what I received from the main quests, and random White/Greens I nicked from vending machines.
Any "grind" you encounter is either a different interpretation of the phrase (this is slang after all) or it's self-inflicted.

2) The vehicle controls work perfectly fine for me. I honestly cannot find what his problem was and suspect Mr. Croshaw either missed the part where they mention the hand-brake/drift button, or he just invented a problem for the sake of a joke.

The latter of which is fine for "teh lulz"; not so fine for a review.

3) "...into the unexplored realms of shooting Jason in a scrapyard, and also it's been snowing a bit." (paraphrase)

Oversimplification is easy. Watch.

-Prince of Persia: "A guy who jumps around a lot to stab people and reach far ledges."
-Portal: "You make portals to get from point A to point B while a silly computer spits one-liners at you."
-Silent Hill 2 series "Psychotic losers go to spooky town and mostly die."

As for the humor potential in that line, it didn't go anywhere for me.

I could expound upon what was changed and improved from Borderlands 1, but why bother? I've already put more effort into this one part of my post than he put into that part of his review.

4) "Stop and Go gameplay" (paraphrased)

A fairly stupid and meaningless statement, given how many (real time) games have rising action and falling action that works in the same way.

This plays to the nature of gunfights in most FPSs.
Unless it's a "monster mash" shooter, most fights involve taking cover and retaliating.
(though I could make an equally useless, snide comment about how old monster mash shooters were nothing more than circle strafing with various weapons)
Maybe Yahtzee would prefer a shooter without a reload button.

Besides those, I do agree with what he said about the story.

There was another Vault. Plot convenience makes for a shitty plot.

Handsome Jack's motivations to lure Vault Hunters and then kill them is patently stupid; it doesn't eliminate competition, and if you find the backstory ECHOs, most of the characters were going to Pandora in spite of Jack's plan anyway (Salvador is a native of Pandora even).

I also have a problem with the masses calling them "Vault Hunters", like it's some sort of mystical rank. Apart from the Sirens, what specifically distinguishes a Vault Hunter from the regular rank-and-file? What gives them their badass powers?

The post-battle roundup of ammo and loot can become rather tedious, but it isn't that bad. Most generic resources like ammo and money will auto-pickup after fights.
Only on rare occasion did I find myself having to do inventory maintenance (and use that infernal interface), since selling item is a pretty quick and simple process.

Duffeknol:

I know looking to find your opinion validated on the internet is pretty lame, but it can sure as hell feel satisfying sometimes, especially when half the internet tried to kick you to death if you so much as mumble that you don't like Borderlands because it's repetitive and boring, and that comparing numbers to more numbers shouldn't be anyone's idea of fun.

Because clearly, you are the one and only person who gets to dictate how people should have fun.

I was just talking to some friends about the game. Apparently there are these things called "badass points", "badass levels", and some more badass shit. I noticed that my friends were all talking about all these "Badass" things like they were doing their taxes.

I asked them if they thought all of this was all still so "badass", when you can end up talking about it the same way as if you're having a chat with your accountant, and while one said yes right away I am not so convinced. The other peson said it was more like a total overuse/misuse of the word badass, but still fun.

I don't really have much interest in this game. From what I have heard about it, it seems to be trying to hard to be (wait for it) "BADASS", and I have seen other games do it's kind of gameplay better. Though those were single player games, but I don't really care that much about this game's co-op.

Oh well, fun review from Yahtzee at least.

tmande2nd:

UnmotivatedSlacker:

tmande2nd:
Good.

I agree with Yahtzee about most games he reviews so yes I do take what he says under lots of consideration.

It doesn't matter if you like it or not. Letting Zero Punctuation decide if you buy a game or not is just plain stupid and only means that you completely ignore all the good sides of a game (because they barely get mentioned here) and only listen to the bad sides (which usually get exaggerated here).

Yeah, I hate to come off as a raging fanboy, but I think Yahtzee just doesn't get this one. The sad part is he usually acknowledges when he knows he doesn't get a game, but I don't think he realizes it this time. BL2 is a good sequel by his own definition, but it sounds like he skipped past everything that would have told him so. The last blurb in the video also shows his lack of understanding of the game's universe. Pandora is a borderland planet. The giant junkyard isn't some frontier of a well-developed world. Maybe he knows that and is just trolling. I don't know.

Eh, pity.

Then again, you have to play game solo when reviewing. It gets much better with buddies. Fights get longer, and more intense and with more buddies, you can loot areas much much faster.

Well, whatever. :P Another fun review.

tmande2nd:

UnmotivatedSlacker:

tmande2nd:
Good.

Nope, but I've seen his vids and it's completely baffling that people use his opinion to choose what games they buy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here