No Right Answer: Best Action Hero Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best Action Hero Ever

I hope you saved room for our fists, as we ram then into your mouths, down into your stomachs and break your spines! Its action hero time, so buckle up and let's debate who blows up everything the best!

Watch Video

Die Hard is the greatest Christmas movie ever

The lack of Bruce Willis displeases me immensely.

It's Jackie Chan Obviously

ravenshrike:

Seconded.

Actually...I was afraid this debate would have decended into an all out clusterfuck like the Worst Video Game Movie debate was. We could have ended up getting the entire cast of Expendables debated about.

CAPTCHA: yeah right

Don't sass me, Captcha! You know as well as I do it could have happened!

I submit this for consideration:

I'm not sure which argument it helps.

For my money, it's Jackie Chan all the way. Sure, he does 'family movies', but he breaks bones making them, and I don't think I've seen a single film of his where he doesn't beat up at least 5 people with furniture and household objects. Plus, he makes actual jokes, as opposed to Schwarzenegger and Statham, neither of whom seem to actually get the idea of 'humour'.

On a side note, congratulations on getting married, Kyle. You have one week for the honeymoon, and we expect you back here next Thursday.

GET TO THE TUMOR!

Arnold for the win.

Paul Kersey would pull the Terminator over his lap and give that droid a spanking.

Frank Martin tells Dirty Harry "I gots ta know" as Harry pulls that trigger.

How can you argue with Conan? Arnold is practically the creator of action movies!

WE all know Bruce Willis is better action hero there is but I will settle for Arnold for now.

I'm sorry but Bruce Willis is the best action hero because we dont think about any of his other quality movies like 12 monkeys or tv shows like moonlighting and only think about his action films, that is the sign of a great action star.

There is only one true God of corny action movies and thats Reb"the BAMF"Brown!!!

DVS BSTrD:

Now there's a good debate: Best Martial Arts Guy Ever! (And after seeing Drunken Master 2 i'd have to agree with Jackie Chan)

Great episode guys, I could listen to Arnie impressions all day!

Out of those two... I always feel like Arnie's meant to be a joke, even his famous lines aren't famous because they're badass, they're famous because they're stupid and funny and people laugh just repeating them. But I guess he has some core of actual decent action acting in some of the scenes of predator... so it's hard.

I think the problem is Jason Statham hasn't been sold to me, he's a good action actor and he does an excellent job at what he does, but he's not really worth talking about because he's so intense in his roles. In that way, maybe he's not so much a star.

So out of those two, Schwarzie wins I guess because more people think of him, but he's still pretty lame in genuine action roles. I don't know who should have gone against him and win though, maybe Bruce Willis, but I've never really bought into him, maybe Jackie Chan (whose a complete legend) but I feel martial arts is a different category almost

So, that bookshelf:

300, The Terminator, a Tinkerbell DS game, and The Matrix.

One of these things is not like the others...

The problem is time, the to stile of actions movies has change, so their movies are to "different".
I like the old action movies more, so Arnold

fi6eka:
There is only one true God of corny action movies and thats Reb"the BAMF"Brown!!!

I knew I recognized that guy.

Still I would go with Bruce Willis. He looks like how a guy would look by the end of an action movie. Plus, as said above, Die Hard is a great Christmas movie. See action and family.

WHY?! WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME CHOOOOOOSE?!!!! I want all the butts kicked by everyone!

On Arnold's accent: My favorite story (I don't even care if it's true or not) is that they wouldn't let him dub his own Terminator lines into German because German audiences would never accept the killer robot from the future sounding like some hick Austrian farmer.

Jason Statham stars as Jason Statham in Jason Statham the Movie starring Jason Statham.

BORING!

Seriously, every film where he's the "big name" is exactly the damn same.

At least Arnie likes to mix it up a bit.

Callate:
So, that bookshelf:

300, The Terminator, a Tinkerbell DS game, and The Matrix.

One of these things is not like the others...

Glad I am not the only one that noticed, is it sad I have that game to. I swear it's for me niece who plays my DS

Roganzar:

I knew I recognized that guy.

Ah, Space mutiny - you shure love the classics, but my personel favourite was Strike commando

ciancon:

DVS BSTrD:

Now there's a good debate: Best Martial Arts Guy Ever! (And after seeing Drunken Master 2 i'd have to agree with Jackie Chan)!

Don't in that category he has against the all mighty Bruce Lee, he one of the only two man on the internet to have won a showdown that involved Chuck Norris (the other been Mr. Roger).

I only caught a quick glimpse of the picture's before actually loading up the video. I thought it was Arnie and Willis. But to my displeasure it was Statham, all I can say is that I am not amused. How could you pick Statham over Willis? Hell at least pick Jet Li or even Jackie Chan! Or even Chuck Norris just so you can make cheesy jokes.

I don't like either but Arnie is the clear victor here. Arnie made you laugh (regardless of if it was at him or with him) Whereas Statham put me to sleep, he's just a boring character

Chris should have been disqualified for trying to force the Spit Take Vis a Vie Anhuld voice. that is equivalent to unsportsmanlike conduct.

Arny is lovely and all but once you see Crank you see what every single action character has done wrong. He is dying because he spared somebodys life. He does not make that mistake again. Jason Statham is perfectly terrifying. People say that he's not acting but if you go back and watch Lock Stock then you see he can be a normal guy too, he is just really really good at being a badass.

Personally I feel Arny fits a niche in certain films but that's just because he's bulky and ridiculous. But other than Terminator and Conan you could effectively recast Statham in all his roles and you could never do that the other way around.

Red Oni:

iniudan:

ciancon:

DVS BSTrD:

Now there's a good debate: Best Martial Arts Guy Ever! (And after seeing Drunken Master 2 i'd have to agree with Jackie Chan)!

Don't in that category he has against the all mighty Bruce Lee, he one of the only two man on the internet to have won a showdown that involved Chuck Norris (the other been Mr. Roger).

Although Bruce Lee may have started the Martial Arts revolution I really think that Jackie perfected it. He's the master of improvisation! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JYNznbL0Q

See, I was just going to say "Jackie Chan. You all know why." But apparently people don't know why.

So, let me put it to you this way: how many of these "action stars" have broken bones doing their own stunts? And, after breaking bones doing their own stunts, how many of them have continued filming while hiding that they're wearing a cast (by, for instance, painting it to look like a shoe)?

Oh, that's right, just Jackie Chan.

In full agreement with Chris. Arnold has a whole career full of great one-liners for his action moments that just make him more badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0Xfqkgw&feature=related

Two words... Bruce Lee!

Yes; he only was able to make a handful of movies BUT they were ALL AWESOME!

ravenshrike:

the lack of Bruce Willis invalidates the argument actually .....

Red Oni:

this is a wise poster, we should heed they're words

A better debate would have been between Ahnold and Bruce Willis.
I still vote Ahnold because I love his movies, but Bruce Willis movies are really badass as well.
I think Jackie Chan wins this hands down just because of all the many bones he has broken doing his own stunts.

I love Statham as an action hero, but he's still relatively new-ish. His repertoire isn't nearly as comprehensive to be compared with Arnold. In this debate I would go with Arnold, without hesitation.

But like others have said, Willis would have been a much better contender in a round against Arnold. Now that would be hard for me to decide... but if you compare them movie-wise, I think Arnold would have a slight advantage. My debate would center more on action hero with range, which is Statham's problem, because he's The Transporter in every movie he's in.

Last Action Hero, Kindergarten Cop, Terminator 2, True Lies, Jingle All the Way... I can watch those bad boys on a loop. Then again, Bruce Willis in Die Hard, Last Man Standing, The Fifth Element, Pulp Fiction... that is a tough call.

ciancon:

iniudan:

ciancon:

Although Bruce Lee may have started the Martial Arts revolution I really think that Jackie perfected it. He's the master of improvisation! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JYNznbL0Q

If we are specific on improvisation, I will agree with you.

SInce you guys haven't addressed it yet, I have to ask:
Why do you keep that Tinkerbell game in the shelf behind you?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here