XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review

Pages PREV 1 2

Thanks for spoiling what happens if you lose, that scene would probably have been pretty emotional the first time around, but now it is ruined.

I just got my email from Futureshop saying that they are going to be mailing my copy out tomorrow!

This weekend shall be good.
For XCOM returns!

I have one single issue with this game (well, beyond the RNG bias I seem to run into constantly):

All voice actors be Amurrican.

You assemble a crew of folks from around the world, they have their nation-of-origin's on their armor, and none of them can act the part whatsoever. I feel the game could have done much better to have the choice of voices per-character during customization be drawn from a lot dependent on their nationality. Would bring a *lot* more to the game, in my eyes.

As is, the members of the frontline crew all feel fake.

~I mean, Civ 5 went all out and voiced the civ leaders in their native tongue to an incredibly believable degree... but they seemed give zero shits about that for this title.

blackrave:

Slycne:

blackrave:
2 questions
1.Can you sell stuff to governments, PMCs and organized criminal organizations?
2.Is laser cannon mass production still a viable business solution?

1. Yes, there is a "Grey Market" that will buy alien artifacts, technology and corpses to. You will also occasionally get requests from nations for specific manufactured good or items, generally at a greater value. However, you can't sell everything at any time though. Most of your researched items, like say laser weapons, can't just be sold to the Grey Market.

2. See above, but no.

So selling alien corpses to McDonalds is not an option anymore?
That's sad :(

Also, how humanity can fight alien invasion without every person being armed with laser cannon?

You can sell corpses, re-read answer 1 again ;)

KillerRabbit:

blackrave:

Slycne:

1. Yes, there is a "Grey Market" that will buy alien artifacts, technology and corpses to. You will also occasionally get requests from nations for specific manufactured good or items, generally at a greater value. However, you can't sell everything at any time though. Most of your researched items, like say laser weapons, can't just be sold to the Grey Market.

2. See above, but no.

So selling alien corpses to McDonalds is not an option anymore?
That's sad :(

Also, how humanity can fight alien invasion without every person being armed with laser cannon?

You can sell corpses, re-read answer 1 again ;)

Yeah, but it's more like government request rather than selling at any time to unknown forces (well I knew where my muton corpses were going ;) )

GTwander:
I have one single issue with this game (well, beyond the RNG bias I seem to run into constantly):

All voice actors be Amurrican.

You assemble a crew of folks from around the world, they have their nation-of-origin's on their armor, and none of them can act the part whatsoever. I feel the game could have done much better to have the choice of voices per-character during customization be drawn from a lot dependent on their nationality. Would bring a *lot* more to the game, in my eyes.

As is, the members of the frontline crew all feel fake.

~I mean, Civ 5 went all out and voiced the civ leaders in their native tongue to an incredibly believable degree... but they seemed give zero shits about that for this title.

Maybe it's even better this way.
Stereotypical depiction of non-american english is achieved by using some hilarious accent and occasionally using some non-english words.
And that feels more fake than simply voicing them all by correct english.
I always felt that X-Com operatives are well educated, and it is complicated to depict non-english educated in english speaking english.
It isn't accent or occasional non-english word that shows that person is non-american, in most cases there are more subtle indicators.
For example- can someone (with english as native language)check what have I wrote in this comment and note the mistakes I have made?
Hint: articles

Is the X-COM Tall Man the original Slenderman? They seem very similar. I don't remember him in the original X-COM though, maybe because I played Terror From the Deep more.

Drejer43:
Thanks for spoiling what happens if you lose, that scene would probably have been pretty emotional the first time around, but now it is ruined.

They didn't.

Trust me on this, I found the complete lose campaign ending on youtube and trust me they edited it amazingly well.

The bits they didn't include...

Ed130:

Drejer43:

They didn't.

Trust me on this, I found the complete lose campaign ending on youtube and trust me they edited it amazingly well.

The bits they didn't include...

really? well okay just ignore me then, thanks for letting me know. Though you have to agree, it is easy to believe it was the end.

blackrave:

Yeah, but it's more like government request rather than selling at any time to unknown forces (well I knew where my muton corpses were going ;) )

You'll get occasional requests from specific governments for specific items, but the Grey Market is an any-time, anonymous sell. The requests are usually for more than the Grey Market, so again there's the trade-offs - do I sell my alien goo for cash now, or save it in case a Canadian corporation asks their government to find something to spice up their poutine?

Zhukov:
Wait, this is out already?

Curse you Aussie release dates, curse you!

and Aussie pricing *shakes fist*

paulgruberman:

blackrave:

You'll get occasional requests from specific governments for specific items, but the Grey Market is an any-time, anonymous sell. The requests are usually for more than the Grey Market, so again there's the trade-offs - do I sell my alien goo for cash now, or save it in case a Canadian corporation asks their government to find something to spice up their poutine?

So it's both then? Nice!

Also, why am I even answering this, when I have X-Com to play :/
Bye, I'm going to commit aliencyde >:)

Wait this is a remake? I thought this was a shat out sequel after everyone got pissed about the FPS? Ah well whatever, I might get this, it looks really good.

This game looks like a less pretty, less fun, less epic, less anime and more generic Valkyria Chronicles.

I'm sure it'll sell 5 million copies!

Dreiko:
This game looks like a less pretty, less fun, less epic, less anime and more generic Valkyria Chronicles.

I'm sure it'll sell 5 million copies!

That's a paddlin'.

ProtoChimp:
Wait this is a remake? I thought this was a shat out sequel after everyone got pissed about the FPS? Ah well whatever, I might get this, it looks really good.

They're making two games. This one and the fps version.

They announced the fps version first, which got all the fans of the original game pissed off.

Being an Xcom fan, myself, I can recommend this game. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Definitely play it. For me, the feel is exactly as the original, only faster and better. Everything in it makes sense.

Watch for Cryssalids and level your snipers....

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here