Jimquisition: Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

It almost feels like Jim wanted to do a show on the US Presidential race...
Also, quite scary how he summed up a big element of it.

GAunderrated:

MiracleOfSound:
Have to agree with Jim here. The game is a massive clusterfuck, like someone ate a five course meal and puked it all back up in a festering messy sludge.

It tries to do so many different things that it ends up not doing any of them well.

It's so muddled, broken, confused and just bad that it's actually quite compelling - me and a buddy were almost in tears laughing at how terrible and broken some sections were (usually involving QTEs and/or the spastic camera) and kept playing for hours, just to see how hilariously shitty the next section could possibly be.

And then it sold 4.5 million copies in the first week. Yep.

Just to clarify it shipped 4.5 million copies. Max payne 3 shipped tons of copies but the publisher still complained about how not enough copies were sold because shipping doesn't mean sold.

This makes me wonder exactly how many copies are going to have to be sold for Capcom to consider RE 6 the "success" they expected all these new changes would bring. I hate to say it but I'm hoping the sales on RE 6 will be low enough to send Capcom and the entire industry a message....

On a side note I love Jim's new addition of the red gloves. Been thinking of picking up a pair myself.

What was that tune in the end?
I know I heard it.
I'm pretty sure, that is from some 8-bit game.

Just so you know, Jim, if there's ever merch for the show, I would definitely buy a T-shirt, with the "Jim Sterling - Better Than America" picture on it.

And judging by gamer's response to RE6, I'm lucky to have not touched it (besides the awful demo).

Capcom better not ruin Dead Rising with this bullshit!

I have to ask, Jim, you are double christian, but is milk a christian, too? The people needs to know!

With that out of the way, we can talk about the game industry and say... Didn't we know this already? I mean, RE6 is probably the best embodiment of this endeavour, but it's a trend that has been going on for years now.

I mean, look at the Mass Effect series. Without debating the pros and the cons of their decisions, they shifted the focus on the action from the RPG aspects, while the RPG aspects were already pretty weak. It's not a blasphemy, but coming from a company famous for making RPGs, that was an odd move, clearly done to appeal to a broader audience. Everyone here could probably name dozens of such examples (this one simply stayed with me more, because I like RPGs in general, but I am sure there are more glaring ones), and the thing is, so far it has been a successful endeavour, for the most part, so I doubt is going to stop any time soon.

Fucking
Dinosaur
Zombie?

Seriously?

MonkeyPunch:
Very good episode. The beginning part where Jim lists all the things that 'have to go in to the game' is pretty funny and sad at the same time because it really does seem like the devs must have been on that vibe.

What I find strange are the people who dislike RE6 for not being survival horror anymore but were totally OK with games like Syndicate turning in to an FPS...

There's a difference between the spirit of a game series, and the presentation of their controls. Look at Fallout 2, then look at Fallout 3. The series went from isometric to FPS, but the spirit of the post apocalyptic survivalist was still there. RE6 lost the survival aspect, meaning that is a valid reason to slam it.

I am sorry but I don't get the "Milk" thing here.

Jim went a little Charlie Brooker 2/5 of the way through.

If Resident Evil 6 was that desperate, they'd have RPG (elves and magic) and Open World thrown in too.

Laurents van Cauwenberghe:

MiracleOfSound:
Have to agree with Jim here. The game is a massive clusterfuck, like someone ate a five course meal and puked it all back up in a festering messy sludge.

It's so muddled, broken, confused and just bad that it's actually quite compelling - me and a buddy were almost in tears laughing at how terrible and broken some sections were (usually involving QTEs and/or the spastic camera) and kept playing for hours, just to see how hilariously shitty the next section could possibly be.

it's like the movies, they have always sucked but they still keep selling. i think there is a crowd for it but i'm not sure what to call it

Maybe some people are actually scared by this stuff?

I mean, after playing Dead Space im not quite as horrified by eldritch piles of flesh, bone and claws staggering about in a way that vaugely suggests human, but my sister isnt quite as distuned as i am to it.

Wolle:
Oh my God, he's drinking the vice president!

im sure thats not the first time that has been said in the white house

PunkRex:

MiracleOfSound:

It tries to do so many different things that it ends up not doing any of them well.

So are we to assume your song on the topic will be a Skar-rock-dub step mix with lyrics heavily influenced by Gangster rap sung in an operatic style?

His song will have to be like this: http://www.wired.com/listening_post/2008/04/a-scientific-at/

There's no other way. So bad that it's hilarious... Isn't that kind of what RE6 is? I haven't played it but that seems to be what I'm hearing.

Quite right, nothing but scorn for capcom. May their lack of bringing EX TROOPERS out over here be their own personal hell.

MonkeyPunch:

What I find strange are the people who dislike RE6 for not being survival horror anymore but were totally OK with games like Syndicate turning in to an FPS...

There was someone that was okay with Syndicate being an FPS?

MonkeyPunch:
Very good episode. The beginning part where Jim lists all the things that 'have to go in to the game' is pretty funny and sad at the same time because it really does seem like the devs must have been on that vibe.

Well, the Syndicate remake, while not a very good game in my opinion, was at least consistent, both in gameplay and tone. There's nothing inherently wrong with franchises jumping genres, so long as they don't try to be EVERY genre at once.

Yay! More of Jim with his pants down!

Anyways, I'd imagine most people with a rational mind knew that RE6 was gonna suck the minute they announced that RE6 was going to exist. Still, this video is an interesting look into the developer's mindset to explain why it was doomed to sucking from the start.

Holy shit! Where's a time machine so I can go to the year 2016 and secure my vote now?!

And I can just imagine Capcom making a promo vid for RE6 with the quote:

"Capcom IS Survival Horror"
-Jim Sterling

nikki191:

Wolle:
Oh my God, he's drinking the vice president!

im sure thats not the first time that has been said in the white house

You win for that statement right there. Maybe YOU should be Jim's running mate!

In regards to the video, I have to admit it does seem like Capcom is afraid. Maybe if they didn't do the dumbass thing of KILLING OFF THEIR FANBASE BY NOT RELEASING CERTAIN GAMES they wouldn't have this problem now.

Yes Capcom I said it. Megaman Legends 3? Release it. NOW!!!

I'm not going anywhere near Jim Sterling's milk.

daxterx2005:
Fucking
Dinosaur
Zombie?

Seriously?

As though a zombie T-Rex is the most ridiculous enemy to ever appear in a Resident Evil game.

Love it when japanese game companies assume that their games won't sell if they don't "westernize" them. It's such a silly way of thinking. Look at games like Okami, God hand, bayonetta, Yakuza, even Metal gear solid. Would any of these games be better if they would have been "westernize"? Of course not. For me, japanese devs always at a knack at coming up with batshit crazy awesome ideas and concepts. I mean ,look at the upcoming Metal gear rising and Soul sacrifice! Only japanese devs could come up with crazy stuff like that. It's what they do best! So my dear japanese devs, stick to what you do best. Please... i don't won't to see more games like R6 and Ninja gaiden 3...

GAunderrated:

Capcom thinks that the only people that play their games are dudebros and people who play fighters.

The obvious response from Capcom is that those are the only people who consistently buy their games.

Not saying they're right, but that's basically been their argument before.

gigastar:

Maybe some people are actually scared by this stuff?

I mean, after playing Dead Space im not quite as horrified by eldritch piles of flesh, bone and claws staggering about in a way that vaugely suggests human, but my sister isnt quite as distuned as i am to it.

Humans have a natural fear of the unknown and are fantastic at adapting. The best horror games capitalize on this (eg. Amnesia), the worse ones just try to repeatedly surprise (but surprise/shock is not scary) you or show you horrific imagery that you become desensitized to over time.

That's a slippery slope Jim...you just know there will be another Republican candidate on the ballet who will try their best to out-God you. Also Mitt's magical underwear acts as a sort of +5 bonus in the God department (at least in his brain it does).

I haven't grabbed Resi 6 nor do I plan to until it's nice and cheap. I still haven't played the fourth yet honestly. The third was my favorite...Thank Jim for Jim.

MiracleOfSound:

It did? Then no criticism can reach the ears of Capcom execs now, not over the sound of all that money being made.

Rest in peace, Resi. Thanks for the good times.

Alright thank Jim. you reviewed a specific game. Instead of making far reaching attack on big business in video gaming. I didn't like the last resident evil. I liked the first 3. Call me a dullard. Never played 4, I probably should.

I mean you slipped in a neat little attack at a major company but at least you told us about a video game while doing it. So Re is a cover based shooter now? Okay pass.

I would been okay with a grant theft auto feel with zombies (No I don't mean REd dead Red., Dear God that was horrible), but it's a thought.

NinjaDeathSlap:

MonkeyPunch:

Well, the Syndicate remake, while not a very good game in my opinion, was at least consistent, both in gameplay and tone. There's nothing inherently wrong with franchises jumping genres, so long as they don't try to be EVERY genre at once.

The issue with Syndicate wasn't the fact that it jumped genres, the issue was that it was a mediocre game trying to fill the boots of a much beloved classic. If it had jumped genres WELL, then it would have been successful. However, the lack of content and updates, the mutilated story (Richard Morgan writes better than that...by a long shot. Just go read Market Forces or Black Man) and the general rush to get it out show how desperate the studio was. The lack of content updates suggest this was a throwaway project, not a labor of love.

I wish sometimes when we get caught up in how much the mainstream industry sucks for being so blandly mediocrily mainstream, we should remind ourselves that no, these cases don't represent ALL of gaming, or even the game industry.

Yes, the old great studios of 1-2 decades ago, were the trailblazers of what gaming became. And yes, <$100m budgets are an abomination that can't result in anything good, and it looks like any naturally growing studio will end up turning into soulless giants, and entirely ignoring the audience that made them great, then we might as well say that they are dead to us, and just look at all the still promising young ones.

After all, this is also a golden age for small publishers and indie developers, online audiences making small experimental games viable, there is a whole new generation of trailblazers. Why are we, as self-titled gamers, obliged to look at whatever Capcom, EA, Activision, etc, is producing, call it "the games industry", and weep for it, instead of just ignoring it, and looking at OUR GAMES?

Magog1:
Alright thank Jim. you reviewed a specific game. Instead of making far reaching attack on big business in video gaming. I didn't like the last resident evil. I liked the first 3. Call me a dullard. Never played 4, I probably should.

I mean you slipped in a neat little attack at a major company but at least you told us about a video game while doing it. So Re is a cover based shooter now? Okay pass.

He already does video game reviews on Destructoid. In fact, he did the review on this one. It was brutal and unforgiving. Enjoy: www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-6-235326.phtml

In other news, this immediately made me think of Capcom's offices being flooded with zombies. So here, enjoy this. Just think of the zombies being the crowd that thinks doing RE6 this way is what the company needed to do, and the survivors being the guys that gave us RE4. Pretty comical.

http://youtu.be/81qIUuExQmQ

KiloFox:
nono Jim... if you run for president you should have a running-mate with the last name Silver

then the bumper stickers could read "Sterling Silver"

I get to be Jim's running-mate? AWESOME! ;P

Andy Shandy:
Just so you know, Jim, if there's ever merch for the show, I would definitely buy a T-shirt, with the "Jim Sterling - Better Than America" picture on it.

As would I. I love that the stars on the flag are more of images of Jim's head. Hilarious! And can we get a complimentary pin that plays that midi? Then we can put it on and play the song in reply to ANY questions regarding the shirt.

Capcom has been in a mad panic for the last 3 years; especially after Inafune left.
They coasted on their franchises for the better part of two decades (for better or worse), and methinks they've realized how irrelevant they're becoming to western markets.

Incidentally, I drank chocolate milk while watching this. Does that make me racist? Did I commit a hate crime?

I used to criticize RE6 gameplay videos months before it was released on the basis of it trying to appeal to everyone. I knew it would suck because of that. And people called me names. Like moron, imbecile, crazy person, idiot, anti-Capcom whore (?). But I didn't care. Because it was so fuckin' obvious that I will be proven right.

I haven't played ResE6 but occasionally there's a "kitchen sink" type game that's really good;
like San Andreas or its copycat Saints Row 2.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here