Jimquisition: Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I'm so adding "executive thing-doer" to my resume, now.

Also, T-Rex fight. Really, now? Huh. Did not expect that.

So there are no more insiteful comments or points after 7 minutes ?

As I heard someone else say, "Why did they change Resident Evil to chase after the Call of Duty audience? That's like FIFA deciding to stop being a sports game and start having terrorist gun fights. FIFA fans buy FIFA games. It doesn't need to be "more accessible" because it simply is what it is and fans love what it is, without it trying to become a completely different genre."

Resident Evil 6 is pretty much every game, Uncharted, God of War, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Battlefield... everything BUT "Resident Evil".

I'm playing through the Gamecube Remake right now as part of a Halloween marathon, and, holy cow, this series USED to be good and scary, with great atmosphere, strong focus on puzzles, exploration, and resource management, and even the characters displayed genuine emotions of shock, trauma, fear, anxiety, and vulnerability. The game was a slow-burn of exceptional pacing, shocking monsters, creepy journals, dangerous rooms, and high anxiety around each and every finely-rendered corner.

I miss that series so much.

Jimothy Sterling:
Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

Resident Evil 6 is a game about fear; fear of losing its audience, fear of taking risks, and fear of losing out to other games.

Watch Video

This came to mind at the end:

I'm not sure if I was ninja'd.

blackrave:
What was that tune in the end?
I know I heard it.
I'm pretty sure, that is from some 8-bit game.

Not quite 8-bit, but originally spawned from an 8-bit game.

OT: That rant about needing to come up with more ideas to appeal to everyone in the middle was hilarious.

I'm just hoping Dishonored gets the widespread commercial success that it (hopefully, judging by the reviews it's gotten so far) deserves and publishers start realizing that if they make new things that are still just as solid as their tried-and-true formulas, people will (hopefully) buy them.

But then I, and presumably Capcom as well, remember how many copies Okami sold, and remember that gamers are just as afraid of "change" as publishers are.

But will a normal Resident Evil title sell like Call of Duty? No? Well, that's all that matters!

Seriously, loved Jim's manic thought process when imitating the games industry.

Also, glad to see Jim's got a running mate with more personality than either of the guys running in 2012.

Not voting for Jim is voting for a game over. And who doesn't like that theme? I mean, I could listen to that merry tune for days.

Meh, I enjoyed the demo. Still, it'd be nice to see a survival horror game in the vein of the old Resi games nowadays.

Sterling/Milk for presidency eh?

Better choice than the ones we have now in my opinion. :P

But yeah, I never really cared for Resident Evil. So this doesn't affect me at all. All I'm going to do is sit back, grab a bag of popcorn, and watch the chaos this game has caused.

I have a few questions...
1) If zombies can walk and eat, like all animals, why not also wee, poo and have sex like all animals too? Sex is so instinctive brain dead guys get erections.

2) When Jim did a piece on a Fox news article and said we - as a community - should shout, moan and make noise, because that gets results. The ones who are heard.
::: How come he is saying the exact opposite with regards to the tropes vs women thing? We as a community, should not make our voice heard with regards to this. Even if it's the jerks. It's still us.

As I've said in other posts, the Triple-A game model is not sustainable as the primary gaming business-model. It's far too expensive and carries entirely too much risk to allow creative exploration in game design. The model can not be sustained as a primary business-model on neither the investment side nor the market side; i.e. the games just cost too much (younger gamers who can afford the time-investment requirements of Triple-A games don't have the money to afford them, and the older gamers that have the money to afford Triple-A games don't have the free-time to satisfy the time-effort requirements of Triple-A games). This is not to say that there can be no Triple-A games developed; it is more to say that the Triple-A model cannot be the only model. Triple-A games can only be indulged in on occasion.

n my opinion (and this is just my opinion), game companies need to diversify around a decent portfolio of smaller, more manageable games with only the occasional Triple-A game, rather than putting all eggs in one basket with a single Triple-A franchise that competes with a multitude of other Triple-A franchises. Basically, distribute the investment risk better to create a more sustainable overall business, rather than one that goes through haphazard, capricious feast-famine cycles with all-or-nothing success requirements for each release. In my opinion, that's just something that's going to work for long.

The expense of Triple-A games means that only a few developers and a small number of franchises can exist in the market. There simply does not exist the supply in time, effort, or money to sustain a large multitude of Triple-A games, but I think there is enough to sustain a multitude of smaller games with only the occasional Triple-A game.

Again, this is all just my opinion.

Theopenmindedgamer:
Love it when japanese game companies assume that their games won't sell if they don't "westernize" them. It's such a silly way of thinking. Look at games like Okami, God hand, bayonetta, Yakuza, even Metal gear solid. Would any of these games be better if they would have been "westernize"? Of course not. For me, japanese devs always at a knack at coming up with batshit crazy awesome ideas and concepts. I mean ,look at the upcoming Metal gear rising and Soul sacrifice! Only japanese devs could come up with crazy stuff like that. It's what they do best! So my dear japanese devs, stick to what you do best. Please... i don't won't to see more games like R6 and Ninja gaiden 3...

What does "westernize" even mean, I live in the west. But how do you make something more "western", thats like trying to make something "eastern", it can't be done.

It's far from my favorite game at this point, but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. It's not a terrible mess. It's not broken or in-serviceable. I can't help but feel that everyone's expectations must have been sky high. It's not my favorite RE game, far from it.

I feel that there are too many QTE's. There hasn't been a bullet shortage in an RE game since RE3. I would have rather they had just stuck with the weapon upgrade system that became popularized in RE4 if they had to have an upgrade system. I enjoy the Melee combat in so far as it only makes sense that when an enemy is within reaching distance you strike him with your gun or your fists, or your feet rather than frantically try to shoot something you can more easily kick.

So far I have only played Leon's campaign and I am having a lot of fun with it. I feel the FOV is too narrow and you have no situation awareness so guys sneak up on me when they should not so easily be able to. I do think that Capcom tried to put too much into a single game, but I don't think it ruins it like everyone says it does.

...Did Jim just claim that flooding the market with popular games like Rhythm games is a new trend? Sorry, how many different Pong machines came out after Magnavox made the first one? How many fighting games tried to be the next Street Fighter II?

We've had clones for fucking ever in gaming, and likely always will.

Brilliant! I will vote Jim in 2016!

Bvenged:
I'd vote for Jim to be prime minister. Or for him to replace the royal family :D

I wonder if King Jim would have the sense to, well, knock some sense into Ottawa.

I wouldn't mind Sterling worship, but I do mind United Kingdom worship.

*goes to start the groundwork on his Jimothy shrine*

The thing that still boggles my mind is all the people who say Resi 6 isn't so bad, or *groan* actually good. I usually ask such a person why they think that and they perform the mental equivalent of averting their eyes and slowly walking out of the room, utterly and completely incapable of having any kind of defense rooted in logic, sense, sanity. It doesn't matter if you pre-ordred, paid in full, got a discount, were super hyped, not hyped at all. It doesn't matter if you own the game, don't own the game, plan on playing it, don't. Anyone, absolutely ANYONE who defends Resident Evil 6 hates games, they hate all that is good in the world, they hate everything that creative, talented people strive to realize in their work. RE6 is now the poster child for everything wrong in the AAA big budget game industry. Years from now when the dust has settled even the people who blindly defended it will be saying "yeah, that game was fucked".

I don't hate Re6's developers, I pity them, but I don't hate them, because they were just trying to do their best at what they had been TOLD to do, not by the people doing the actual work but by the fucktards in charge who like Jim said are nothing but quivering pathetic stupid desperate fools, so terrified of not having their money they'll make a game like RE6 happen in order to feel some degree of comfort.

I liked all the little Jim faces as the stars on the flag at the end XD

I'm just going to leave this here and what Jim said is true. The game has to make it's bottom line or it will sadly tank, I didn't despise re6 but it will be my last purchase for any game in the franchise unless they are remakes of older games.

jamesbrown:

Theopenmindedgamer:
Love it when japanese game companies assume that their games won't sell if they don't "westernize" them. It's such a silly way of thinking. Look at games like Okami, God hand, bayonetta, Yakuza, even Metal gear solid. Would any of these games be better if they would have been "westernize"? Of course not. For me, japanese devs always at a knack at coming up with batshit crazy awesome ideas and concepts. I mean ,look at the upcoming Metal gear rising and Soul sacrifice! Only japanese devs could come up with crazy stuff like that. It's what they do best! So my dear japanese devs, stick to what you do best. Please... i don't won't to see more games like R6 and Ninja gaiden 3...

What does "westernize" even mean, I live in the west. But how do you make something more "western", thats like trying to make something "eastern", it can't be done.

Hmm the best way to describe this is games that appeal to audience of said country. Jrpgs with grinding such as dragon quest 1-9 are huge block buster selling hits in japan despite the linear game-play, grinding, need for strategy books etc that sell millions in 7 days of said launch date. Keep in mind hose type of games sell okay here as well however there not the norm nor are they type that appeals to the mainstream market anymore. Right now fps/3rd party action games is what eastern gamer want based on sales such as cod, fallout etc and if they want to compete in the global market this is what they have to do.

I like milk so you would have my vote
This counts for jack though because I'm not American

The problem is that this fear of not making a return on their investment often causes the game to be absolute shite like the stated example. Devs who are still a bunch of retarded monkeys think we put all the things people love in their so it must not be successful because the genre has gone stale. So ends survival horror and only very infrequently is one made like is the case for action plat formers. I wonder whoever thought quick time events were fun?

I'm still kind of interested in buying it just because there are so few split-screen offline co-op games (I don't want to play a game online, I want to play it with someone in the same room).
And if Jim does go for president, his only campaign ad should be a video of him fucking that Sonic doll for five minutes.

I.Muir:
I like milk so you would have my vote
This counts for jack though because I'm not American

The problem is that this fear of not making a return on their investment often causes the game to be absolute shite like the stated example. Devs who are still a bunch of retarded monkeys think we put all the things people love in their so it must not be successful because the genre has gone stale. So ends survival horror and only very infrequently is one made like is the case for action plat formers. I wonder whoever thought quick time events were fun?

those who are in partners with console makers such as Nintendo to make a profit... Hell I went through 3 controllers on my first play through of re4 due to those lovely qte's especially at the last moment on the wave rider.

MonkeyPunch:
What I find strange are the people who dislike RE6 for not being survival horror anymore but were totally OK with games like Syndicate turning in to an FPS...

Uh, what people? And what makes you think they are indeed one and the same? Besides, did you not see the shitstorm that erupted when Syndicate was revealed to be an FPS?

MiracleOfSound:
And then it sold 4.5 million copies in the first week. Yep.

You mean shipped. Capcom still hasn't released their official sales numbers, but I don't doubt that it'll be high. The real interesting numbers will be the sales for the next few weeks and how bad that possible drop-off maybe. I can totally see RE6 going the route of DA2 and just peter out after week 2.

Gizmo1990:
Being English I could be wrong but don't you have to have been born in the US to run for the Presidency?

Well, Gizmo, while that's technically true, once word of Jim's candidacy goes nationwide in the next presidential election, the Congress will run through a Constitutional amendment making an exemption to the "US-born" requirement specifically for Jim. Then after his first two terms, they'll amend the Constitution once again to eliminate the two-term limit placed on Presidents. Then Jim will then be named President-for-Life in a unanimous vote of Congress, the Electoral College, and the people, and then the real Jimquisition will begin.

scorptatious:
Sterling/Milk for presidency eh?

Better choice than the ones we have now in my opinion. :P

But yeah, I never really cared for Resident Evil. So this doesn't affect me at all. All I'm going to do is sit back, grab a bag of popcorn, and watch the chaos this game has caused.

I'll bring beer and nachos; that cool?

captcha: by and large
My favorite one-stop shopping center! They made the WALL-E & EVE series of robots!

I just realized... Jim. Resident Evil. Milk.

Could it be a subtle implication that Capcom is "milking" the franchise? Between THREE games and TWO movies in ONE year, could Capcom be in a panic to milk every last drop out of the Resident Evil teet before savvy gamers catch on?

Captcha: Face the Music

jamesbrown:

Theopenmindedgamer:

its nothing really wrong with the term, its how people use it more or less.
for example there are artists influenced by anime who work for marvel, and akira toriyama had a hell of a comic book influence, there are quite a few pics of goku and arale in super hero costumes, its nothing wrong with being influenced by other cultures, the issue lies when you mindlessly pander to them, you get things like re6, or getting mega man canceled, or new Dante, or the big bang theory -shivers-( i know that last one is an american tv show, but i assume you get the joke)

I really thought from that title he was gonna defend RE6. Well played Jim, well played.

of course it sold well because its RE. hard core fans cant accept bad reviews or anything bad about there beloved RE franchise. it could have the worst graphics, gameplay, etc, and they still would like it because it has RE written on it.

i will not get it. i see more action then horror in it. RE5 was more a action packed fun game in a way but for sure nothing scary what so ever about it. at least it far more better to play then RE4. im talking about the pc version here.

well, right on there jim. today they are afraid to stick to the old roots because they are afraid they will lose customers and money. so why not add more action so it looks more exiting but ignore the horror that made the first 2 games good.

Baresark:

So far I have only played Leon's campaign and I am having a lot of fun with it.

Trust me, once you play the other campaigns, you'll know why everyone hates this game, Leon's story is the best by far. I'll even put why here

kburns10:
I really thought from that title he was gonna defend RE6. Well played Jim, well played.

I fell too.

One of my favorites so far.

"Twice as christian..." I think he's been in Mississippi to long...

Japanese games went down the drain as soon as they felt the need to make ALL their characters look like a blend between Western and Eastern stereotypes. It's like they are scared that if they make ONE purely asian-looking character (or purely western-looking) they would lose the OTHER half of their market, as if all gamers have a list of things we like in games and if we can tick them all off then we'll buy the game.

It was at this point that you could tell they lost any ambition to create anything that is distinctive and stands out and were content to make their games a bland dull-grey average blend of 'all-the-things-gamers-like-in-games' in order to appeal to the widest audience and thus sell the most games. The sad thing is, that method is both the absolute best and surest way to sell games, and the best and surest way to fail to create anything truly excellent.

LazyAza:
The thing that still boggles my mind is all the people who say Resi 6 isn't so bad, or *groan* actually good. I usually ask such a person why they think that and they perform the mental equivalent of averting their eyes and slowly walking out of the room, utterly and completely incapable of having any kind of defense rooted in logic, sense, sanity. It doesn't matter if you pre-ordred, paid in full, got a discount, were super hyped, not hyped at all. It doesn't matter if you own the game, don't own the game, plan on playing it, don't. Anyone, absolutely ANYONE who defends Resident Evil 6 hates games, they hate all that is good in the world, they hate everything that creative, talented people strive to realize in their work. RE6 is now the poster child for everything wrong in the AAA big budget game industry. Years from now when the dust has settled even the people who blindly defended it will be saying "yeah, that game was fucked".

I don't hate Re6's developers, I pity them, but I don't hate them, because they were just trying to do their best at what they had been TOLD to do, not by the people doing the actual work but by the fucktards in charge who like Jim said are nothing but quivering pathetic stupid desperate fools, so terrified of not having their money they'll make a game like RE6 happen in order to feel some degree of comfort.

Or, and just imagine this for a moment, the mainstream audience likes things that go boom? Did you ever stop and think that your point of view isn't the only one? Did you ever wonder that, perhaps, your opinion on this particular game is not the punctuation that ends the conversation?

I've been playing video games for over twenty years. Cut my teeth on Mario, backtracked and played Atari, and continued on through the SNES to the 360 and ps3. I've played great games, I've played terrible games, I've played masterpieces and I've played schlock. But get this, I've also played mediocre games too, probably more of those titles than any other in my life. You know the games I'm talking about. The Bonk's Adventures, the Super Adventure Islands, the Streets of Rage, the Legends of Legaia, the Rogue Galaxy, the Heavenly Sword, etc. etc. I feel like Resident Evil 6 is purely, equivocally average. Mediocre. It's not terrible, not by any rational standard of criticizing video games. The animations are smooth, the levels are well designed, the variety of enemies is actually quite refreshing in an age of copy/paste bad guys. But there are flaws as well. A scattershot camera, a mildly unfocused narrative, Leon's hair.

As for your inane rant about anyone who defends Resi 6 as someone who hates games, and gaming, and innovation and all that is good in the world (I'm assuming by world you meant the games industry), then you couldn't be further from the truth. I've enjoyed a decent chunk of Resi 6, and have recommended it to friends, and in turn they've enjoyed it as well. But I've also enjoyed brilliant games like Amnesia, Terraria, Limbo, Bastion, and Journey. I also had a blast with Skyrim, Dragon Age 2 (another thoroughly average title), Dead Space and Resi 5.

Maybe there is a market for everything, for all of it. I would say the millions Notch made off Mincraft, and the millions made off of Final Fantasy 13 and Call of Duty speak to that very fact.

TL;DR- The market is bigger than your narrow view suggests, and there is room for all types of titles, big and small, great to good to mediocre to bad.

Furioso:

Baresark:

So far I have only played Leon's campaign and I am having a lot of fun with it.

Trust me, once you play the other campaigns, you'll know why everyone hates this game, Leon's story is the best by far. I'll even put why here

I thought resident evil 4-5 covered this, there are not zombies they are infected with more mutated version of las plagas. They have the ability to think, talk, and yes use weapons. Leon's story is the only one out the three that actually uses zombies infected with the c virus that has a lot more deadly potential due to air-born spores/spread of the bio weapons. Aye... why must I come out of the closet of being a hardcore resident evil fan-boy?? I also give this game props for having sherry back as well due in part.. how many of us where 11-12 "that's sherry actual age" when we first played resident evil 2?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here